Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2015

Concept »

The twenty-first annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 16-18, 2015 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

The Official SONY Thread

• 82 results
    Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

"Final Fantasy VII remake in like 2 years am I right?"

Directed by Tetsuya Nomura

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This was an awesome press conference. Fuck anyone that dumps typical negative internet bullshit on it honestly. FF7 remake even it's the exact same gameplay I'm totally on board.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@aegon said:
    @arbitrarywater said:

"Final Fantasy VII remake in like 2 years am I right?"

Directed by Tetsuya Nomura

Final Fantasy VII remake in like 6 years am I right?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Devastating. I'm fucking floored.

Best conference ever

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#55  Edited By Atwa

I was very disappointed.

All said and done, Sony announced one new exclusive, Horizon. (Dreams technically too I guess, but we kinda saw that in some form earlier)

Rest was multi platform. FF7 remake does nothing for me, I think the first game is still fine and doesn't need to be remade. Square just gave in to the endless yelling. I felt that launching a kickstarter on a press conference is frankly a bit embarrassing. If you don't have enough faith in backing a game, leave it out of a press conference. I don't think Uncharted 4 is a worthy show stopper, we know about the game. It was teased for the first time a long, long time ago and we have already had an event that showed an extended gameplay demo. The Last Guardian, while I was happy to see it, its so long overdue that it should simply have been revealed when we got a firm release date, and should be the same year. As it is now, Sony still come out of this looking incredibly weak in terms of lineup for the rest of the year.

I also keep feeling completely deserted as a Vita owner, they showed it once and had like a 2 second clip of Dancing All Night, and that was it. Yeah, it has been a failure, but at least do the courtesy of the people that did buy it with a little bit of lip service.

I have decided to get one of the consoles, of Xbox One and PS4 this summer, but neither conference really convinced me to get one over the other.

5/10 for Sony, acceptable. They still showed games, and cut the length down a bit. I still didn't find much to excite me or make me want a PS4.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#56 chaser324  Moderator

I'm finding myself feeling very torn over this press conference.

A lot of people are hyped about it, and for totally good reason. There was plenty of stuff in that show that a lot of people thought would never happen and all of it is wrapped up in a ton of genuine nostalgia. The quick bits of Uncharted 4 and Horizon gameplay looked great and there were some solid third party titles on display (Battlefront, Black Ops 3)

That being said though, there's a lot of uncertainty in some of those projects, especially Shenmue 3 and the FF7 remake - both of which seem to still be in the absolute earliest phases of production. Additionally, in the near term, Sony's first-party lineup for the remainder of 2015 and early 2016 is looking extremely light. If Persona 5 manages to make its tentative Q4 2015 release date, that might actually be enough for some people, but they're lacking a big exclusive title with broad appeal like what Microsoft has in Halo 5, Forza 6, and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Fanservice: The Press Conference.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing a lot of criticism about the lack of Morpheus chat. I think it's just a case of Sony recognising VR isn't going to demo well on a stage and that watching someone else play a game with goggles on isn't entertaining. If Morpheus is going to work first impressions really matter and sticking it up on the stage here would probably have done more harm than good.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That was a fun press conference.

Showing The Last Gaurdian seems more like reassurance that it's not canceled. The graphics seem updated and I'm itching for a 3D puzzle platformer.

FF7 remake is something a ton of people have been asking for so here it is.

Horizon looked great. My favorite part about it was that the player knocked off the gun from the body of an enemy without any prompts telling them that it was a gun, such as highlighting that part of the body. None of that gameplay involved quick-time events either.

The voice acting in Firewatch was amazing, in my opinion; it felt very natural. One of my friends who has never heard about the game became very interested.

Confused as to why they'd end it with gameplay from a game that we've already seen extended gameplay from. Sure it's a different environment, but... it's still something we've seen. Otherwise, I left fairly happy. Remember that Square Enix is having their own press conference so that may take away a big hitter in Kingdom Hearts 3, and maybe others as well.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horizon seemed really cool. Other than that nostalgia and so on. After the Castlevania Kickstarter I'm just sort of entertained by how ridiculous the stretch goals can get at this point.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a Call of Duty fan that switched from Xbox to PlayStation as their primary console I'm pretty happy to see that Call of Duty is moving over. I was underwhelmed by the campaign stuff they showed but when the multiplayer trailer started I was back on board. Black Ops 2 was the last Call of Duty game that I really loved on every level so I can't wait to play another Treyarch installment. They said beta in August, right? Can't wait to try it out.

Horizon and Firewatch are my other two stand-outs from the conference. Didn't really know anything about Firewatch before the show and came out the other side wanting to dissect what that game has to offer.

No Man's Sky seems like a dream at this point. I feel like there's no way it releases and everything is as it's being described. I was sitting there watching and just thinking to myself "I don't even know how this is going to work," over and over.

If The Last Guardian is anything like Shadow of the Colossus then I'm sold.

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

@itwongo: Shenmue is still very enjoyable. I played though the first game two years ago and Shenmue II last year. Both games require a bit of patience. You'll probably spend two years playing before you really get into the game.
    There is no way to progress time in the first game except for waiting in front of your TV (I spent the time in an arcade within the game whenever I had to). This was probably the most annoying aspect of it. Other than that it is very playable and well worth the investment of time and money. It still looks great (via VGA on Dreamcast or component on Xbox) and the soundtrack hasn't aged a day. You'll find that many concepts of within the game made it to other games you've played through the years following Shenmue's release.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really confused by how much the guys seemed disappointed with the lack of Morpheus discussion, considering the joke running up to E3 this year was "how is anyone going to demo this shit?" I think Sony just realized that VR requires a different type of marketing and didn't want to waste their slot talking about how amazing this would look "if only you could put it on tonight." Would we seriously have been happier with a dude wearing the goggles on stage and saying "Wow, this looks great."? I'm sure it'll be on the show floor, and we'll just have to settle for press testimonials and some sort of Best Buy kiosk situation. It's just not something that works well on a stage.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

pretty good, but I'm still worried about actual first party content. At work there's a young kid who's just keeps asking "when is No Man's Sky coming to PC?"

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I cannot even believe what I just saw. That conference was like a dream.

No way did any of that just happen.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There were some cool game announcements, but I wish they'd just focused on a handful of games and talked about their key features and whatnot. It was all right, I don't know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

This was conference had a lot of fan service. A new Shenmue game? Really? Why? We have Yakuza now, which basically took over Shenmue's spot. Also, Final Fantasy VII, sigh.

Last Guardian looks a hell of a lot like ICO.

There really wasn't a whole lot here so I'm disappointed.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was conference had a lot of fan service. A new Shenmue game? Really? Why? We have Yakuza now, which basically took over Shenmue's spot.

Shenmue never really clicked with me either, but it turns out some people are kind of excited about the game.

Loading Video...

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By TwoLines

@spaceinsomniac: Oh man. Was the whole GameTrailers thing... like this? I mean, good for them, but what are they even doing?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Last Guardian. I mean come on, it was going to come out, but was it going to be totally "modernized" and "slicked out"? My fear that all the charm of Ico and Shadows was going to be stripped out because what Ueda makes is often hard to replicate. If what some people saw was boring to them...GOOD, I'm glad you are bored because what I saw was the type of game I wanted. Your boredom is my gut check for charming and different being intact.

I think they did enough with Morpheus by the fact they left people with questions and wanting more, in fact I think we saw the edited version of what they planned because what Valve and Oculus showed off was premature. Sony didn't bore us, and oh look they left people wanting to know more instead of thinking "Get off the stage!!!!"

The one thing about CoD BLOPs 3 is that its won't look silly next to CoD: AW. You can still jump around, you can still dash slide, and now you can wall run. The next CoD will be just as fast if not faster than the current one and stop BLOPs 3. That all Treyarch needed to do - not step backward. So they did that, their game will thus limp along selling in the tens of millions (less of a limp than an odd swagger)

No Caption Provided

The problem with Uncharted is the games have been too good. They have been big, loud, fun and wonderful games. So there is not much to be done to top them...they cannot even top themselves. This is not a fantasy rockumentary, you can't really turn the amplifier up to 11 - it just goes to 10. Uncharted has been on '10' since the second game. There is no "one more louder".

magimix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If we set aside TLG, Uncharted, Shenmue, and FF7 (because I'm not interested in those), what would people say were the stand-outs for other titles in the event (not able to watch it for myself yet)?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After sleeping on it, I think this was a weird press conference. A really weird press conference.

If you look at it as a gigantic Public Relations Event, Sony nailed it. People have been clamouring for something -anything!- from The Last Guardian, a Final Fantasy 7 remake, Shenmue 3 for yearsnow. They showed that Destiny and Assassin's Creed are still tied to the Playstation name. They showed Black Ops 3 and their platform exclusive perks. Everyone is talking about Sony now and not about the other press conferences.

On the other hand, if you were expecting some big announcements for this year, or at least something more concrete than a vague 2016 date, this was terrible! The only games with an actual date were big staples like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, the Destiny expansion and Batman.

Though I suspect more details and stuff will come in the form of press releases and more trailers, I can't shake the feeling that the entire press conference was a trailer itself: really flashy, exciting, but still empty.

aidros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this conference shows that Sony, above anything, is excellent at perfectly planning and executing announcements that generates the maximum amount of hype and excitement by the public, regardless of the quality of the thing(s) being announced. To be fair, I do think the three biggest hype drivers (Shenmue, FFVII, and TLG), will turn out to be good and even great quality experiences. I am concerned that most of these huge announcements are for remakes and sequels, with fewer new IPs represented, but if people truly want them then the sales should reflect that. Also a bit concerned that the release dates for these are far off on the horizon. If I played my Vita a lot more I'm sure I would feel a little burned by it's utter abandonment by Sony, but there ya go. Overall, I think Sony did a pretty good job and I am more compelled to buy a PS4 because of it.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kept saying this in chat last night WHAT IS COMING IN 2015?!!! For me there is still no reason to buy a PS4 this year and as this generation continues to rumble on there comes a point where you contemplate not picking up a particular console. I feel like yes they did a great job of delivering fan service. The Shenmue thing is kind of shady. As Jeff kept saying it's not their thing and they were keenly aware of that but they want to take the praise for bringing back Shenmue when in reality if they wanted to they could have funded it. Perhaps they will supply additional funding post kickstarter who knows.

Also how was their one last thing Disney Infinity?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like I have no personal interest in the big 3 reveals that they showed.

But it's still great seeing other people get what they want finally. All I have to do is imagine if that kind of thing happened to some of my most beloved bygone games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@spaceinsomniac: Which is crazy. While the ambition was there, if you go back now and play those games, wow are they bad. They are completely unplayable. I just don't see how a Shenmue game can hold up in an era with so many open-world games that have done it so much better.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

@magimix: Check out Horizon... Probably the best demo I've seen so far

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#78  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

The last guardian looks just like Ico. Which is exactly what I want from that developer. I haven't been one of the people asking for the FF7 remake, but I'll take it all the same. As far as Shenmue, I have no experience with it, but I'm happy for the people who've been wanting it.

Hmm, what else? Uncharted looks cool and I can't wait for it - Give me No Man's Sky now please! - Firewatch looks like Gone home on a larger scale and that's okay by me.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kept saying this in chat last night WHAT IS COMING IN 2015?!!! For me there is still no reason to buy a PS4 this year and as this generation continues to rumble on there comes a point where you contemplate not picking up a particular console. I feel like yes they did a great job of delivering fan service. The Shenmue thing is kind of shady. As Jeff kept saying it's not their thing and they were keenly aware of that but they want to take the praise for bringing back Shenmue when in reality if they wanted to they could have funded it. Perhaps they will supply additional funding post kickstarter who knows.

The thing about funding a game like Shenmue, is that investors need more than just a few thousand people flooding Twitter and message boards to be willing to cough up money to fund a game like this. Especially in 2015. The kickstarter was less about the money, and more about seeing if the fans would put their money where their mouth is. Which they most certainly did. To raise that much money that quickly through kickstarter, investors won't see funding this game as much of a risk as they may have originally.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By flameboy84

@marc said:
    @flameboy84 said:

The thing about funding a game like Shenmue, is that investors need more than just a few thousand people flooding Twitter and message boards to be willing to cough up money to fund a game like this. Especially in 2015. The kickstarter was less about the money, and more about seeing if the fans would put their money where their mouth is. Which they most certainly did. To raise that much money that quickly through kickstarter, investors won't see funding this game as much of a risk as they may have originally.

Yeah I think you right however I still think investors should have other ways of gauging a product than turning to Kickstarter. Perhaps I still feel like this is against what Kickstarter was meant to be (in my eyes).

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to Shenmue's creator, it was his idea to have a kickstarter, and Sony are funding the game. So the idea that "it's not their thing" is wrong.

kubqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Btw they did not even mentioned that Suda51 multiplayer thriller that got live-action trailer last year.

Art_Vandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm always getting a bad url when trying to watch the vod.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't impressed by The Last Guardian. It looked too scripted, like there was no real game behind it. After all the time spent, I was waiting a little more maturity in the project...

Other than that, it was a good conference. The FF 7 and Shenmue 3 announcement were fanservice of the highest order, and I loved it...

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes: They said already that it was scripted because the dog-bird thing current can behave in a fashion that's not friendly to present on an E3 stage. I'm sure there's plenty of maturity in the project, that was only a 6 minute segment. Parts of SoC are you riding a horse for 6 minutes to get to a destination.

Horizon looks fucking rad. I remember when the concept art leaked years back and I've been waiting ever since for them to announce that they were making a dino-robo game. Now they just need to stick a Cadillac in there somewhere.

BranKetra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By BranKetra

The Last Guardian looks awesome. I really like the feather physics on the creature, whatever it may be.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

capcom confirmed the crazy chun-li boob physics were supposed to be gone so that's a relief

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By SomeJerk
    No Caption Provided

Sony have a bad first-party situation, so say the GB crew. (It's about them presenting games with releasedates in 6+ months but uh still)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.