Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2016

Concept »

The twenty-second annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 14-16, 2016 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

E3 is here again!!!! And I don't care.

Evilbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Evilbill

No Caption Provided

A year ago I wrote how the gaming industry has been stifled by its own success. Essentially the AAA developers have decided that since the formula for Game X worked the first time, that means they have open licence to make Game X2, X3, X4 and on and on. There's no doubt this is successful most of the time in the gaming world and you can't fault the AAA industry making safe bets but the end result is a very limited gaming experience for the consumer. Indy developers are trying to fill the void, but over the past year it seems that may be losing it's momentum.

Let's take a look at this years E3 (and the "outside" shows)

E3

Watchdogs 2 - The "why?" sequel of games right now. Watchdogs fell so far short of it's expectations in the first iteration and I am surprised about it's return. Word is that the pre-orders of the first Watchdogs drove development of the second game. I am not sure that's a winning formula but time will tell.

Mafia 3 - The trailer looks uh...interesting...but I have no inclination to play this game whatsoever. Just seems like another shoot-things-be-a-badass-bring-nothing-new-to-the-table-game. The protagonist is African-American so perhaps it will actually do something interesting with the story to set it apart, but my faith in video games carrying meaningful and deep messages is very limited.

Styx: Shards of Darkness - I love stealth games. I own Styx. I never bothered playing Styx. So I can't really comment here other than...was the first one really so good that it deserves a second run? You tell me, I honestly have no idea.

Injustice 2 - "I suck at fighting games". Looks cool as hell but I don't play games where I repeatedly get my ass kicked. Just not an enjoyable experience for me. I don't have those sweet twitch skills. For all I know this will be the greatest fighting game of all times. Doubt it.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - This one I totally get. The Dues Ex series has consistently been good, huge fan base, and the cycle seems to be right (5 years). I anticipate this will be a good seller and a solid game (most likely what the game devs are thinking too). Perhaps the only concern here is "new customers". The first Deus Ex released in 2000. Therefore this iteration is 16 years in the making and a newcomer may not be inclined to go back and play a game that happened before the Afghan war started. It probably won't be necessary but a potential new fan may be turned off by the fact that to fully experience the lore they may have to go back to a time before they were born...

Dishonored 2 - A game I am actually looking forward to. As I said I love stealth games and Dishonored is one of my favorites. Very open ended game play, you could play in different styles which affected the outcome, and even the DLC was pretty solid. Highly re-playable and enjoyable. The second go around will have a second protagonist to play and that may add a whole other level of play that wasn't in the first. It's steampunk Hitman with magic. I don't know what else to say, I am excited.

SAY CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SAY CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Final Fantasy 15 - Fifteen. Enough said.

The "Other Shows"

EA

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Battlefield 1

Titanfall 2

COO Peter Moore called this an "embarrassment of riches". I hate to disagree here but the three games here in order are - An apology, a game with so many iterations they were forced to go backward, a followup to a game that had a very short shelf life. In my opinion not something to be bragging about. There's innovation in Battlefield 1 surrounding the era of the game play, not sure I can find much else in these riches. I'll play Mass Effect because I am a fanboi, however it just seems superfluous at this point. Other "riches" will undoubtedly include Madden, NHL, FIFA etc etc.

Nintendo's E3 video presentation could be the most bizarre of all time. No one has any idea what they are showing. They've said the NX is not going to be there and Zelda is pushed back to 2017 now and they just released new artwork. Who knows what is going to be at this presentation. Will they sneak in a new Mario IP? It could be 8 hours of technical blueprints. Who knows.

In the end though this reinforces the observation that new and unique gaming options from large developers are in short supply. This is not good for gaming. If the trend continues future E3s will reveal 5 total games that will all either be reboots or sequels to games we've all played in one form or another. Indie devs have a space here to make their own IP something unique and interesting that could fill the void, but some of those ventures are starting to take on water. No Man's Sky has been delayed, and although that is not a terrible thing it could be seen as concerning. I am starting to question the viability of the game itself. There's no doubt I will play it, however the scope may be too large. The game will center around discovery and travel, but you may never see another player in the game. I am not sure how that is going to work. Part of the enjoyment of open ended discovery games is sharing the experience with friends. That doesn't appear to be an option.

Meanwhile the henceforth referred to as "loosely indie" developer CIG, makers of "Star Citizen", is starting to look more and more like a confidenceschemeeveryday. At the end of the day I am even starting to question the viability of this game as well. Almost everything the game promised to it's backers has been achieved in some form by other games (for example Elite Dangerous and even No Man's Sky) with the exception of the FPS portion and multi-crewed ships. However the game is so far from completion (if the alpha/beta is any indication) that this game may already be past it's time. When it finally hits the market it will be interesting to see how dated it looks and plays. Also for a game which boasts ultimate immersion...it's not even VR compatible, and Elite Dangerous beat it to the punch on that format as well.

So the future looks a bit grim for game development but time will tell. Minecraft remains the gold standard of indie development that managed to outpace the AAA world with a unique and fun experience. Ideas like that are out there waiting to be made, but recent history indicates it will have to come from the very cut throat and difficult indie world since the large studios are too comfortable and interested in making sequels and reboots.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I can't say I'm on the same page as you exactly, but this is why I'm glad I'm mostly interested in stories. Sure, the occasional Super Meat Boy or Rogue Legacy will get it's hooks deep in me, but for the most part I'm not too concerned about mechanics as long as there's a good story to keep me going.

So with that in mind, I'm actually excited for the future of video games. A new Mass Effect, Persona 5, FFXV(cautiously optimistic), Vampyr, Cyberpunk 2077(or whatever else CDPR has going on), Danganronpa 3, Pyre. There's probably stuff that I'm forgetting and no doubt things I haven't heard of that will sate me between those releases. Games are in a really great place for someone like me.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

That is a LOT of text for someone who doesn't care.

I've not cared enough the watch the press conference ever since I met my wife during E3 2012 (not at E3 just during). If there is anything good announced it will be talked about anyway.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

To mirror the sentiments of one Vinny Caravella I honestly feel like gaming is better than it has ever been. There is a certain risk aversion in AAA games since the budgets have gone up immensely in the last 10-20 years, but at the same time there is an abundance of smaller games that are able to fill that void.

Best thing about this generation so far is the focus on gameplay though. Were storytelling become the driving force behind many games and especially AAA products last generation, it feels like the pendulum is now swinging around the other way (no doubt helped by stuff like Twitch and E-sports in general) with the focus instead being on creating something that plays well first and then tells a story second. There is still plenty of story heavy games if that's your thing, but they are often contained in certain genres.

For me personally, that is a great development, which means I feel like there is pretty much always stuff I want to play.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the crew wouldn't do those "Talking over..." shows, I wouldn't really care about watching the press shows either. Of course it also helps that my timezone is the worst for all the shows I'm interested in.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad for you man. There's bunch of things I'm excited about at the show. Hoping for some surprises too. The only thing I'm iffy about is Sony's rumored focus on VR.

If you can't muster up any enthusiasm for any of these games I don't know what to tell you.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Belegorm

It's been this way for a while now, only with the crew talking over it it's worthwhile to watch. Also I wanna see last guardian and nier 2

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zombievac

I really hope the new Mass Effect will be awesome, because I loved the first two and thought I'd love 3, and couldn't force myself to finish it. DA: I was also completely soulless. I simply don't trust EA at all right now and can't even think of the last time I played, or at least finished, an EA game - and I used to love and buy most of their stuff years ago.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I really hope the new Mass Effect will be awesome, because I loved the first two and thought I'd love 3, and couldn't force myself to finish it. DA: I was also completely soulless. I simply don't trust EA at all right now and can't even think of the last time I played, or at least finished, an EA game - and I used to love and buy most of their stuff years ago.

I think ME3 is the best one. In terms of gameplay that is. Also don't think the story is as bad as people claim.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By colourful_hippie

@dagas said:

lol was going to say the same thing.

My interest in this E3 immediately deflated when I heard that both upgraded consoles are not the center of attention this E3 and are being saved for next year. There are some interesting games though but I was more interested in how the hardware was turning out.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:
    @zombievac said:

I think ME3 is the best one. In terms of gameplay that is. Also don't think the story is as bad as people claim.

Curious, because I've had a theory about this for a while: Did you play the first time after the DLC was out, or before?

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like video games.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

No Caption Provided

I care about e3, but probably only parts of it.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By Zevvion

@zombievac: Before. I played Mass Effect the day it launched. I was blown away by Knights of the Old Republic. I thoroughly enjoyed that game, finishing it several times. At the time, I even bought an Xbox for it. I really liked that type of game and hadn't played anything with that distinct BioWare fingerprint on it. Then, I saw a teaser trailer for Mass Effect. It was going to be the same as KOTOR, but set in their own universe. An RPG with guns, in real time. I was so fucking stoked. I was super impressed when I played it and had so much fun. Looking back on it, it's not a very good game anymore right now. But at the time, there really weren't any RPG shooters. But I always hoped it would become a game where besides the characters, world building and story, it would have legitimately great gameplay.

I remember thinking ME2 was a huge step up, but it still felt like a B-game in terms of gameplay. Then, with ME3, I could honestly say it was one of the best shooter mechanics I've played with. The combo system in that game is just fucking awesome and honestly perhaps a little ahead of its time. I still haven't seen another shooter doing it that well. It's a shame you don't need to pull of combo's on lower difficulties and they barely encourage you to use it, if at all; because I always felt a lot of people never really realized it was there.

The multiplayer was also fantastic. Still the best Horde-type multiplayer to date. It's actually still being played.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Thought you said 'first game' instead of 'first time'. But no, I also played ME3 before the DLC was out. I saw the original ending. I actually thought the director's cut ending they edited in was worse. I also remember a lot of reasons why. One of them was the 10-second run on Earth across the open field with Harbinger just sitting there. The importance of that scene was how it showcased that Harbinger could annihilate anything in 10 seconds. In the directors cut, they edited in a 30 second cutscene on the midway point of that 10-second run, where a shuttle comes to pick up your crewmembers. Like, what? Harbinger would've destroyed everything. It didn't make any sense whatsoever. They rushed in some fan service because of critique. They shouldn't have done that. Not saying the ending was amazing, but the stuff leading up to it was great. The ending itself was throwaway, but honestly not that bad.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

"Care" is a strong word but I still find it very entertaining and can't wait to watch.

Evilbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's some words I agree, but I still can't believe the amount of sequels every year. It's sorta mind numbing.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get excited for e3 every year because it's an opportunity for the industry to pull it's self out of the gutter and be redeemed. That never happens though.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think you said enough about Final Fantasy 15

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad for you man. There's bunch of things I'm excited about at the show. Hoping for some surprises too. The only thing I'm iffy about is Sony's rumored focus on VR.

If you can't muster up any enthusiasm for any of these games I don't know what to tell you.

this vr is not for me so i hope sony has more then just psvr i am looking forward to ms and the gb talk overs.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there's anything bumming me out, it's the feeling that there's just not going to be any real big reveals or surprises left thanks to all the pre-emptive announcements and borderline unavoidable leaks. For me, the biggest draws this year was the assumption that I'd get more info on what exactly NX and Neo are, and now the prospect of seeing either is fully gutted.

Granted, I'm probably being unjustifiably cynical about the whole thing. There's still some great games that are going to be at the show, so it's not a total wash, but my expectations for what this years E3 could be look to be falling flat.

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there's anything bumming me out, it's the feeling that there's just not going to be any real big reveals or surprises left thanks to all the pre-emptive announcements and borderline unavoidable leaks. For me, the biggest draws this year was the assumption that I'd get more info on what exactly NX and Neo are, and now the prospect of seeing either is fully gutted.

Granted, I'm probably being unjustifiably cynical about the whole thing. There's still some great games that are going to be at the show, so it's not a total wash, but my expectations for what this years E3 could be look to be falling flat.

this no real holy shit i did not see that coming like last year and ff7.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game development isn't going down hill. Sequels aren't automatically evil and terrible. People love sequels. People want new versions of the thing they already like, or to see more story from existing franchises. OP, you love sequels. You're going to play Mass Effect: Andromeda and Deus Ex.

And we are still getting new games. Did you play Splatoon? Or Sunset Overdrive? Or Overwatch? Or Life is Strange? Or Stardew Valley? Or Undertale? Or The Division?

Videogames aren't in a downward spiral. There's never been a better time to be playing. At least wait until after E3 to declare if this year is less interesting.

Oh and if we didn't have sequels, we wouldn't have Super Mario World.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've not been following the Game Industry much this year outside of whatever Blizzard is doing. I might put E3 on in the background at best, or I might not watch it at all. It'll be a first, but meh, I have different priorities.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

You don't care? I love it!

You sir, have been Icona Popped by the best.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to many games i'm excited about, I hope to see more of that For Honor game as that looked really cool but i'm mostly interested in the new hardware and watching giantbomb talk over the press conferences lol. I think console gamers should be excited about Xcom 2 coming over, it probably won't have any of the issues it had on pc(since it'll likely run at 30 like every console game) and man it's a great strategy game. I'm busy playing through stellaris and trying not to get whiped by the AI that wants to purge me and i still have doom and ds3 i could play so i'm not really looking for anything right now. Persona is pushed to 2017 and Final Fantasy looks garbage so meh on any Jrpgs.

Deus Ex looks cool though i enjoyed the first one(third one)

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read all of it and still don't understand what is the problem? Hate sequels? Don't buy it, nobody is forcing you. Dislike AAA games? Play indie games. You ask why watch dogs 2? Because IP has the potential, WD was not bad, just mediocre. What if it will improve like AC 1>AC 2? Gaming is better than ever, not every game is catered to you and that's fine, there's a lot of options to choose. Sequels are not bad, they are good for us because we like more of the same but improved and good for studios because it's a lot less risky. Just because you don't like something it does not mean there's no crowd for it. It's a problematic way of thinking about it.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Obviously you do care. Is it still in fashion to declare not caring about everything? Thought that had its 15.....

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

@grulet said:

If the crew wouldn't do those "Talking over..." shows, I wouldn't really care about watching the press shows either. Of course it also helps that my timezone is the worst for all the shows I'm interested in.

Yeah, I loved their live streams of the conferences.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A need to declare a "not caring" attitude about something that has buzz....are people still doing that?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I gotta admit, I don't care you that don't care

Plus when you say stuff like this it's hard to take you seriously

@evilbill said:

Final Fantasy 15 - Fifteen. Enough said.

Say what you will about the Final Fantasy series and it's certainly your prerogative if you don't like it, but one thing it does do is make mechanical changes, often major ones, with each new numbered iteration. It's not like a new Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty

You claim AAA space doesn't support risk taking and yet you casually dismiss an established franchise radically transforming its battle system to the point of where it may be an altogether different genre than the previous entries.

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Assumedkilla

The first Assassin's Creed sucked (I thought so at the time and still do) but Ubisoft turned that around (until it went downhill again), so they can turn Watch Dogs around. It was their best selling game, so a sequel isn't shocking.

I mainly care about seeing Mass Effect and Ghost Recon as far as announced games go. How Battlefield and Titanfall look are slightly interesting to me too. It does sound like EA has a great lineup. You might not like some of their big 3 games, but those series has their fanbases and could easily be high quality games. I don't see how the next ME game is an apology, they finished aplogizing years ago with the redone ending. Battfield wasn't forced to go back, they easily could've stayed modern but they wanted to change things up. Titanfall accomplished what it tried to do. It's one of the best MP only shooter this gen - Overwatch is overhyped IMO; it's two game modes on bland maps. The gameplay and most powers are great, but if Ubisoft or EA released a game with so little content for full price then critics and hardcore gamers would've called foul.

I think MS is in a tough spot if they do launch new hardware (it's too soon) and if they don't (Sony might leave them behind), so I'm curious how that plays out.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless KojiPro announces something at E3, I don't care all that much either.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I'm the least excited for it ever but only because I feel like there's really not much big to learn. Even now so much gets leaked (I think a lot of it is intentional too). Games will be shown but games are shown all year at this point and new, interesting ones come out all the time. It has nothing to do with the strength of the industry to me.

I think gaming is great now. I think the event doesn't mean much to the indie and small scale scene and that is a bigger and bigger part of games now.

Have to agree with others though that you just brush over what's good even. Not sure how to respond to this:

I'll play Mass Effect because I am a fanboi, however it just seems superfluous at this point.

A new Mass Effect is one of the my most anticipated games. I am a ME fan because those are good games (even if I liked them less as the series went on, personally). But I'm pretty excited for a new, more open, ME game.

Also, the new Battlefield 1 game should have some new stuff going on even besides its setting (for example, it seems very destructible to the point where even the flat ground can be cratered badly). I am sure there will be new gameplay stuff here.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas said:

This.

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Immunity

I agree with Vinny when he says this is the best time to be playing video games. The amount of variety is incredible right now. We've got games of all different genres and experimentation is happening all over the place.

We're seeing games being made now that would never have had a chance in the past. Life is Strange is a story about the friendship between two teenage girls. Yes there's time travel stuff in there, but it's about friendship at its core. That game would be unthinkable 10 years ago. Meanwhile, we've still got games like DOOM coming out that are all about literally ripping and tearing enemies apart in glorious, gory fashion.

Yes, AAA developers could lay off the sequels and give new IPs a shot, I'll agree with you there. But that would also take some massive re-structuring on their part. Teams would have to become much smaller and a lot leaner if they don't want to risk huge lay-offs if their gamble on a new IP doesn't pay off.

This year especially has been an amazing year for games so far and it looks to be even better if games like Deus Ex and Civ 6 deliver a quality experience. If you're not excited for any of the games coming out that's fine, but that sounds like a personal problem rather than a problem with the video game industry.

There are a lot of fantastic games out there and more coming out every month, if you can't find something that interests you then either you're not looking hard enough or you may just need to take a break from video games and do something else for a while. Maybe you'll come back ready to play some damn good games. They'll be there waiting for you.

E3 isn't very exciting this year in general because there's not a ton of new stuff. With Nintendo saying they're not talking about NX at E3 that pretty much deflated most of my interest. But a weak E3 says more about E3 than it does about video games.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ezekiel

I don't care either. I'll probably play like three 2016 games. All the sequelitis and reused, safe ideas in this industry are depressing. I wish it crashed hard so they could drop the bad habits and make something better. They could start with a new controller. The Dual Shock is ancient and the Xbox controller, being a copy, has the same limitations.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By crithon

E3 hasn't been the same since 2007, and now theirs sizzle reels but then you read the fine print and then..... well, at least there's Pax to have honest fun instead.

Evilbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the comments guys. I admit the title is a bit silly, obviously I care about gaming, but my point was that the lineup was weak, hence the words :) Vinny has a good point that there is variety available out in the gaming world, but I question the quality of the variety. With some hindsight here...being honest...after watching the EA conference I can say that Titanfall 2 looked impressive, and Battlefield 1 had some interesting bits. But I stand by my original argument that the sequels seem forced. Compare to other FPS that have survived almost a decade without much change and the hard core communities that surround them. TF2 is still being played like crazy. CS is still a widely played franchise. EA pumping out another rendition of the same IP seems more like a cash call than an attempt to make the best game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.