Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2016

Concept »

The twenty-second annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 14-16, 2016 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

The Official UBISOFT Thread

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#1  Edited By Marino  Staff

No Caption Provided

Congrats to @tovan on winning this year's Ubisoft banner contest! alcor741's highlight reel was a very close 2nd. And pineconefan's meme man cosplay banner came in 3rd.

The Official E3 2016 Ubisoft Press Conference Discussion

EA gave up their 1pm spot, so we're hijacking it!
    EA gave up their 1pm spot, so we're hijacking it!

It's officially E3 time, duders! If you haven't experienced the insanity of E3 before, the show starts off with press conferences from each of the three console makers as well as a few of the largest publishers in the industry. These presentations are prime real estate for game announcements, debut trailers, live gameplay demonstrations, and meme origins.

In an attempt to keep the E3 shenanigans organized, the mods institute these official discussion threads for each conference so that everybody has a go-to place to discuss them before, during, and after the show.

Keep Discussions On Topic

This thread is exclusively for the general discussion of the Ubisoft press conference. Only discussion of the Ubisoft press conference is allowed. Discussion involving the other company's conferences should be taken to their respective threads (once they're posted). And don't even think about going off-topic or derailing the thread with arguments over how much it costs to rent the Staples Center.

Specific Announcements

The game for which Eric Pope abandoned America.
    The game for which Eric Pope abandoned America.

E3 is THE place for announcing never before seen games. It's exciting, fast-paced stuff and we're all enthusiastic to start talking about all the new toys. But, please keep in-depth discussions about specific games in their respective forums. For more information about how to help us keep things organized, go check out the E3 2016 and You! thread.

To help you get where you need to go to talk about anything announced or shown during this press conference, we have created a list of them right here:

Despite the insanity of E3, keep in mind that the general site rules still apply. So, don't be a dick. If you need a refresher on how to conduct yourself like an upstanding citizen of the Giant Bomb community, check out the FAQ.

Where Can I Watch?

Monday, June 13 @ 1:00 PM PDT - Orpheum Theater (Local Time)

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Fassbender on stage + Cane dude talking about third person Chivalry game = success.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Best banner of the entire contest.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That is one awesome banner. Hopefully the conference can live up to it. :)

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The Pope is in!

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Congrats @tovan I knew that was gonna be the winner the second I saw it! So good.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Who's ready for a burning trash fire!?!!

(Nice job with the banner @tovan)

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

No other banners stood a chance.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I hope that the show will be properly terrible, but that we'll get some great games out of it.

TheImpar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think this was the correct banner. Congrats!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not even sure who Eric Pope is, but that banner is pretty amazing.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I loved Stick of Truth... But that entire South Park demo was painful to watch, like holy crap. I don't even know what it was about it, just everything felt off about it.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

No Caption Provided

This went excellently.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YESSSS CANE GUY! Also Appolyon's a sword that dropped in Sunwell.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

• Ghost Recon looks neat, especially if there's a lot of different ways missions can play out. I'm imagining a co op MGS V in some ways). But I hate those fake conversational demos Ubisoft does, and as a person that doesn't enjoy headset gaming demos it always leaves me wondering if I can even play this game the way I'd want to. It sure sucked on GTA Online.

• The Division is The Division. I made my blood pact with Destiny and when I burned out on that and uninstalled it from my hard drive I knew it'd be a while before I got sucked into something like that again.

• VR bird game looked neat but the only way I'm getting VR anytime soon is if something on PSVR blows me away, and that wouldn't be it (neither would anything on PC VR sets).

• For Honor looks like a game. Seemed like player character takes a lot more damage than enemies, likely some kind of god/easy mode for a demo though. Hard to judge how long its legs are.

• Stoked for another South Park game, last one was a lot of fun and pretty clever. Nice of them to offer it as a pre-order bonus, it's pretty short and I only played it once so I wouldn't mind trying another class.

• Grow Home was cute but it didn't grab me. Skeptical they can stretch (:wink:) that game to a full length product.

• Didn't buy any DLC so I'm about ready for more Trials. Until the super fucking hard end game levels anyway. Might just grab that to play between Ubisoft and PS4 unless it's too expensive.

• Watch_Dogs 2 is going to rely entirely on its characters because there was something weird about the first game that had me liking something about most of it while simultaneously hating nearly everything about it. So far, it seems like it's leaning in the right direction from the first while continuing to fuck THAT up in all the ways the original did.

• Which is why I'll be so disappointed in myself when I end up buying it anyway, just to see for myself.

• Assassin's Creed movie looks whatever, can't imagine Watch_Dogs will turn itself into a good movie unless they stumble into a great screenwriter.

• Steep seems like a game that will likely go very badly. The snowboarding looked rough, the skiing in first person looked kind of cool, I don't see the point in the other two sports being featured prominently.

• Kind of a rough conference. Super long, lot of stuff I have so-so opinions of. Ubisoft has found a lot of success doing this thing they do, though, so maybe I'm just wrong since I really don't play any of their games anyway. I might just not be the guy they're talking to.

• Also, interesting end to the whole thing, sort of like a in remembrance montage almost.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I just say... thank you mods for all you do. I don't know why, but GB chat is always extra hostile and tense during the Ubisoft events, and you folks really hold that place together.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

@nodima said:

• Grow Home was cute but it didn't grab me. Skeptical they can stretch (:wink:) that game to a full length product.

Ubisoft aren't pitching it as a full length game. It's a $10/£8 title, taking about eight hours to do everything:

As well as BUD’s main mission, there are 150 crystals to find and 40 challenges to complete – with the average player taking about eight hours to do so. There are BUD costumes to unlock, six abilities and eight upgrades to uncover and more for gamers to get their teeth into. Grow Up may be a small, quirky title but in terms of replayability, there is lots of potential for gamers to keep coming back for more.

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
    holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By holycrapitsadam

Ubisoft press conferences are always super cringe worthy for me. No other press conference does this to me but every year, i find myself having to turn down the volume or look away at certain points. I don't know what it is but man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So we don't like South Park anymore? Ok, good to know.

Comparing this Ubi conference to the ones before it, this wasn't as bonkers as I thought it will be. And not that many memes this time around, also. Except for Watch_Dogs 2. I wanna believe the tone will change over the course of the story, but that was my hope for Far Cry 3, too.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

The SP show's jokes have gotten a little old IMO. Stick of truth 2 looked funny tho. Also, It's 2016 and people get offended by jokes...JOKES.

LiberiFatali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm stoked for the new South Park game. The Stick of Truth was a big surprise for me. I'm ready to get into The Fractured but Whole (insert innuendo here). Cool that they're offering the first game as a pre-purchase bonus.

I actually really enjoyed Ubisoft's conference this year. We got South Park, Trials of the Blood Dragon, For Honor, and some new Watch Dogs 2 footage, which actually looks like it could be good. It ran a bit long and had some cringe and boredom (I'm looking at you, Assassin's Creed movie), but overall, not bad.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

As bad as the demo was, that last game and (in particular) the last season of the show have me hyped for a new South Park game. Can only speak for myself here, of course: Matt and Trey are on a roll lately. They are putting out their best stuff since The Book of Mormon.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I still don't get the phenomenon behind the almost hostile attitude towards anything Watch Dogs related. Almost seems like people are afraid someone might think they like it so you gotta keep all compliments at an arms length and with plenty of room to let anyone know that YOURE way better than this. It's bizarre I mean it's just a game, you hack billboards and whatever it's not that serious people, we don't need to scrutinize the hell out of everything. Just let your guard down for a second and allow yourself to have some goofy fun.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the highlight of the Ubisoft conference for me was the For Honor coverage. I liked what I saw of the combat and the set pieces looked really cool. I'm interested in the Samurai and what that would like, especially combos.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By NeverGameOver

Very interested to see the absolute aboutface that the staff has apparently done on South Park. From the looks of twitter, most people enjoyed the conference. Stick of Truth was literally one of my favorite games of all time, and I find the show hilarious. But I haven't watched the last season.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nevergameover: from what I've read the show's humor has been spending more time punching down like Family Guy instead of going for more nuanced humor.

But that's just based on what I've read

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

As a Black guy named Marcus living in the Bay Area, I really wanted to be impressed by Watch Dogs 2. But Jeff hit the nail on the head by saying the tone isn't right at all. Its like somebody took a few hours to look at 4chan, then Lulzsec, then Mr. Robot and wrote some stuff around that.

Also, before somebody brings up the word "triggered", Austin has said he was not offended by SP. He's gone on to say he was just bored by the lazy humor. I'm willing to believe that went for the majority of the staff as well. But I'll be damned if that bit about how even Marvel didn't let a Black guy have a superhero movie the 3rd wave didn't make me laugh.

yurimegumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By yurimegumi

Ubisoft kicking off their press conference with a bizarre dance troupe is like. sure, fine. but then followed by like, forty minutes of racism? what the actual fuck did they think they were doing

also matt or trey i dont care which making gay jokes literally a day after the biggest shooting in america In A Gay Club literally fuck that dude i hate him

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nevergameover: from what I've read the show's humor has been spending more time punching down like Family Guy instead of going for more nuanced humor.

But that's just based on what I've read

Hm, interesting.

So I just watched the Ubi presser on KindaFunny and think it looks great. Colin Greg and Tim ate it up too. And the entire chat was going nuts. Weird, GB's reaction is perplexing to say the least. It's clear that the humor hasn't changed so I guess the crew has.

dovah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dovah

@yurimegumi: it was shocking to say the least. I thought I misheard it.

Also, Steep looked great and I will play it a lot.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit, as a guy who likes Dark Souls combat, For Honor looks DOPE

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@nevergameover: I found the most recent season of South Park to be a lot sharper than the past few years of the show have been, but I could totally see how it might've not been everyone's cup of tea. It spends a lot of time going after people who use political correctness as a way to bully people who don't agree with them (before pulling back in the last two episodes and maybe saying Political Correctness isn't terrible) and I could see that not appealing to some people.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By chrissedoff

@arbitrarywater: It's pretty uncool to pretend "political correctness" is a real thing and not just a canard whose primary function is to browbeat people into being too ashamed to speak up for marginalized people. Sure as hell doesn't warrant an entire season of television to make the most facile, tired argument ever. What a surprise, though, that South Park, of all shows, would pull the 'chute and jumped up onto the fence at the last second. So out of left field for that show.

@fr0br0 but isn't kinda messed up that people are ready to jump on a black dude and basically call him a thin-skinned wimp for not being just tickled about the white guys who write South Park throwing around words that were (and still are) used to humiliate and terrorize people who, until not that long ago, were literally second-class citizens in America? Nope, if you're a black person who is offended by casually racist jokes, you're a whiny little baby. You should save your righteous indignation for something that matters. Ya know, like when somebody says the strip club level in Hitman is sexist.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@chrissedoff said:

@arbitrarywater: It's pretty uncool to pretend "political correctness" is a real thing and not just a canard whose primary function is to browbeat people into being too ashamed to speak up for marginalized people.

Like most things in life, it's subjective, and where everyone draws the line is going to be different. There are people who think asking them nicely not to use gay slurs when they're around you, is an example of you being "politically correct." On the other hand of the spectrum, you have examples like this.

And if the South Park guys sometimes dislike political correctness, they're not the only one.

Political correctness is America's newest form of intolerance, and it's especially pernicious because it comes disguised as tolerance. It presents itself as fairness, yet attempts to restrict and control people's language, with strict codes and rigid rules. I'm not sure that's the way to fight descrimination. I'm not sure silencing people or forcing them to alter their speech is the best method for solving problems that go much deeper than speech.

- George Carlin

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm really into For Honor. I love someone taking another crack at the brawler with some fresh ideas because I think it can be done. The Fight Night-ish style duels look great and I love the animation and scale.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By chrissedoff

@spaceinsomniac: I'm not going to watch any YouTube links, but I'll agree with you that everybody has their own line on what is or isn't real prejudice or insensitivity and what is just being unreasonably sensitive. However, the problem is with declaring the expectation that we should think about other people's perspectives before we speak or act to be a creeping threat to the culture that has to be named and confronted. That is a big dumb waste of time and energy from people who surely have better things to be angry about.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm really into For Honor. I love someone taking another crack at the brawler with some fresh ideas because I think it can be done. The Fight Night-ish style duels look great and I love the animation and scale.

There was something about For Honor that was just so good. Maybe it was the way that the Viking's axe seemed to actually stick into people instead of just swiping at them, but it looked good.

But it also barely looked like a game. I hope to geebus that there's some depth there, but so far it was just "push forward swing ur stick". Like that one Roman launch title for the Xbone. Also, it looked beautiful.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@n7: there's definitely some Mount and Blade type stuff going on with the significant enemies. The fodder looked like they put up Dynasty Warriors level challenge and were that timid. It would be a worry that it could be mindless like that. But yeah I liked the animation as well. Interested to hear more on it.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By crithon

how long did South Park go for? and what is that guy at the end? I'll never play that game.

that was pretty bad, I had to have the second screen play hardcore porn until Lavar Burton came one and then I paid attention and just was so caught up over feeling like I was 8...... Ubi lost it.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..... I've been living in the bay area for 3 years. Jeff's right about everything, Watchdogs 2 is just unbearable over it's own stupidity.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first South Park game was better than it had any right to be and I'm excited for this follow up. It was weird that guys on the crew said how much they liked the first game but this seemed to make them uncomfortable in their own skin. Nothing else Ubi showed off really interested me. Grow Up might be cool and For Honor has some neat ideas but doesn't look like it's got that many ideas. I was convinced they where going to introduce ninjas as a fourth faction in that trailer when the dude was cocking an arrow but then it just turned out to be some evil lady?

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@nevergameover: it was moreso Matt and Treys talking on stage and the first little bit they showed. Pretty cringe-worthy. The humor was South Park humor but it was more of the filler humor you get between the good stuff that doesn't stand on its own. Just the stupid butt jokes. The later parts they showed, the crew liked and said Ubi should've been showing THAT part from the get go, which really showed off the humor that you go to South Park for.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@jesus_phish said:

The first South Park game was better than it had any right to be and I'm excited for this follow up. It was weird that guys on the crew said how much they liked the first game but this seemed to make them uncomfortable in their own skin.

I really didn't get that since some of the first game made me feel that way plus the only way you could like that game (IMO) is if you are a big show fan because it was mostly recycled references to the show in new contexts. That's why I hated it. I felt like 80% of the humor was "remember this?".

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Totally. I was fine with that because I like the show but that game doesn't seem that enjoyable if you don't enjoy all the references and callbacks to the show. The combat was so so, the fights where only good because of the jokes in them and the same for the story and the items.

Avatar image for williamflattener
    williamflattener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I still don't get the phenomenon behind the almost hostile attitude towards anything Watch Dogs related. Almost seems like people are afraid someone might think they like it so you gotta keep all compliments at an arms length and with plenty of room to let anyone know that YOURE way better than this. It's bizarre I mean it's just a game, you hack billboards and whatever it's not that serious people, we don't need to scrutinize the hell out of everything. Just let your guard down for a second and allow yourself to have some goofy fun.

Couldn't have said this better myself. I too puzzle over this--the game had flaws, but wasn't "omg terrible" by any metric. Parts of it were bad, and some aspects showed promise and were genuinely fun.

Taking that further, I also don't get the sentiment that "first game was mediocre, so they'll definitely make 2 a bad game as well." Maybe it will suck, but why just assume the worst?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.