Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2017

Concept »

The twenty-third annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 13-15, 2017 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

The Official SONY Thread

• 99 results
    Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#1  Edited By Marino  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Congratulations to @gentlemanlygentleman for taking this year's Sony banner contest. tikicobra's "Knack is Back" banner took second, while sevenlightyears' Persona 5 train station banner took third.

The Official E3 2017 SONY Discussion

What t-shirt will Shawn Layden troll us with this time?
    What t-shirt will Shawn Layden troll us with this time?

E3 is THE place for announcing never before seen games. It's exciting, fast-paced stuff and we're all enthusiastic to start talking about all the new toys. But, please keep in-depth discussions about specific games in their respective forums. For more information about how to help us keep things organized, go check out the E3 2017 and You! thread.

In an attempt to keep the E3 shenanigans organized, the mods institute these official discussion threads for each conference so that everybody has a go-to place to discuss them before, during, and after the show.

Keep Discussions On Topic

This thread is exclusively for the general discussion of the Sony press conference. Discussion involving the other company's conferences should be taken to their respective threads (once they're posted).

Specific Announcements

Get your meme guns ready.
    Get your meme guns ready.

To help you get where you need to go to talk about anything announced or shown during this press conference, we have created a list of them right here:

Despite the insanity of E3, keep in mind that the general site rules still apply. So, don't be a dick. If you need a refresher on to conduct yourself like an upstanding citizen of the Giant Bomb community, check out the FAQ.

Where Can I Watch?

Monday, June 12 @ 6:00 PM PDT - Shrine Auditorium (Your Local Time)

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By hassun

Game Tapes! Congrats @gentlemanlygentleman!

I really hope Sony has a surprise or two in store. Itching for some actually new stuff from them. Maybe Japan will show up big? I expect the Dissidia game and Kingdom Hearts to be there as well at least.

And Knack 2 of course!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Microsoft had a good showing this year. Very interested in seeing how Sony stacks up.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Knack.

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Mario X Rabbids looks cool, Beyond Good and Evil got a trailer and I won something. Today is a good day.

Let's hope Sony doesn't tarnish it.

P.S. Thanks for choosing my banner.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So if a PS4 Pro price drop happens, how big does it go? I'd guess a $50 drop permanently is likely, but they could just want to do it for the short term as well.

Otherwise, I'm guessing there will be a look at the free RE7 dlc, using it as a means of pushing their VR headset. That's the only non-obvious thing I can really think of at the moment. To keep up with last year, the big fan favourite, long awaited thing to do would be Demon's Souls Remastered, but I kind of doubt that will happen.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By NeverGameOver

Sony's big hitter will come out of Suckerpunch this year. I really hope it's some killer new IP like Horizon, Days Gone, and TLOU -- instead of another Infamous. They've done a great job of pivoting studios away from the same old franchises lately and that has been one of the biggest reasons why it's been outselling MS.

@brackstone: I just finished up my demons souls platinum last night!

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By whitegreyblack

Masterful banner, @gentlemanlygentleman

I wonder if Sony will be able to capitalize on their later conference again this year to stick it to MS on their console pricing? I guess we'll see. I just want to see games, games, games - hopefully games that are going to come out in the next 6-12 months.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Sony's big hitter will come out of Suckerpunch this year. I really hope it's some killer new IP like Horizon, Days Gone, and TLOU -- instead of another Infamous. They've done a great job of pivoting studios away from the same old franchises lately and that has been one of the biggest reasons why it's been outselling MS.

@brackstone: I just finished up my demons souls platinum last night!

This. I want Suckerpunch to show something really fresh. If it's another Infamous I'm going to be disappointed.

Sony has usually brought the megatons for awhile now but I wonder how much new stuff will see, seems like there's a lot on their plate at the moment. Hope there's a couple of hype reveals.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Oh no I guess I'm gonna buy Undertale again

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ezekiel

God of War is as big a disservice to the God of War series as Tomb Raider was to the Tomb Raider series. And it bothers me that I have to speak of them both in such confusing terms because they couldn't come up with new names.

Shadow of the Colossus remake is neat, I guess... But I never had a problem with the graphics.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ezekiel

Does Spiderman have... Arkham combat? Lame.

Not to mention an Oracle-like person with all the intel talking to you. Is that from the new movies?

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the HELL did they do to Spider-Man???!!!!

Takoyaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Takoyaki

I could see Monster Hunter World ending up bad if its the rumoured "made for the west" Monster Hunter. Then again, this is Capcom so it might just be another MH game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pleasantly surprised that they focused on games they'd already announced instead of showing a bunch of games that are years away like they have the past two years.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Spider Batman looks alright, has QTEs too; just what Batman was missing.

No From Software, eh. I mean PS4 had a really good start of the year so I guess it doesn't matter that much; any suggestions on what to play for 4 months before Wardoor? Aside from Injustice.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That conference was... Pretty bad? The 4D stuff they were trying to do seems like it was a neat gimmick on paper but then they hung bodies from the ceiling and kept cutting to a bored crowd after every trailer. The only games that stood out were ones that have either been announced already or are remakes or stuff that's coming to other platforms. At least they had little to no talking I guess? They're still supporting VR?

Like, they're still getting a lot of the stuff that made a splash in the other conferences but somehow they made their own presser extremely lame and depressing.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a bad conference for Sony, but fairly disappointing. Ending on a Spiderman game isn't exactly mind-blowing.

@ezekiel: The game looks very much like game from 2012, which wasn't terrible. And with Insomniac behind it maybe it's gonna have some more shine to it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

My whole family loved Spiderman. Other games got a good cheer too. Good showing. Of course, all about the games.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That conference wasn't great... This year was really underwhelming.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Atwa

That conference was just awful, seriously. I think almost every game had a 2018 tag, except God of War that just didn't have a year at all, so may be 2019.

New games include Monster Hunter (also coming to PC/Xbox One) and Shadow of the Colossus Remake?

Immensely disappointed.

The spiderman game just looked bad, all those quick time events really turned me off.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nicksmi56

This conference was lame.

God of War trying to be Last of Us

Days Gone is boring.

None of the VR stuff landed.

The only completely new thing worth looking at was Monster Hunter World which looked decent.

And why even get Insomniac if 90% of your game is QTE's and the rest is The Amazing Spider-Man Remastered!

You know you've screwed up when the best part of your conference is a remake of a game from 2000 and freaking 5!

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was fucking awesome. I'm interested in everything they showed I think.

Also I got super hype at the Undertale trailer they just low key dropped in the pre-show. I NEED THAT COLLECTOR'S EDITION

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty disappointed. Feels just like Bethesda's conference, a video playlist. There just wasn't much substance. I still don't quite know what Days Gone really is other than a 3rd person zombie shooter.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, this one sucked. It was boring from a production side of things, they had basically no new games, and their big hitters (God of War and Spiderman) really didn't impress. God of War didn't have very much new to show, and Spiderman looked like a flashback to how games were made 5 or 6 years ago. Visually pretty, but the game design looks outdated.

Their biggest reveal was probably Monster Hunter, which is huge, to be fair.

I figured Sony would try to head off Microsoft and their big 1X news, but they had nothing, not even a temporary price drop.

On a personal side of things, Shadow of the Colossus was probably the most interesting thing, and then God of War, but I have my doubts about how that will ultimately turn out.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

It's kinda screwed up that despite pretty much all of these games being announced last year, they still aren't coming out until 2018 or beyond. Silver lining: I can catch up on the games I missed in the first half of the year like Nier and maybe Horizon. While the show didn't exactly reVITAlize their offerings, I'm sure that stuff like Spider-Man and God of War will be great when they do come out. But maybe they shouldn't have continued cutting to the bored-as-hell crowd live tweeting, which was secretly the most aggressive implementation of "influencer" culture in the press conferences.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By DinosaurCanada

I love seeing arrogant Sony thinking its prime time entertainment. They're so cute.

Last year made Detroit look like it could be David Cage's First Actually Good Game, but after what's happened over the past year, the surprising amount of games and movies about androids learning to love since then, AND the tone of this trailer, its seems like that lunatic is back to his bullshit. Not complaining, mind, I'm excited for it

Excited to buy a fancy box to put Undertale in

Shawn Layden didn't mention Nier when listing off successful exclusives. oh so you're gonna do it like that huh?

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

What did you do to Suckerpunch Sony? What did you do to them!

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ThePanzini

God of War & Day's Gone simply can't come so enough Spiderman looked impressive not sure about playing though, happy to get more Horizon & Uncharted. Sony showing better stuff but too much of a known quantity and for god sake someone punch the cameraman / director this off screen crowd BS is annoying.

@brackstone Why would Sony announce a Pro price cut the 1X isn't out for months they've got plenty of time, announcing a price cut now would only create negative headlines not the PR you want E3 week.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By ArtisanBreads

God of War and MH World were cool but MH World is coming to everything. God of War I think looks very good gameplay wise and I actually am interested in the story even which is saying something for me with how tired I got of GoW.

Otherwise the show was very boring.

I can't believe they are putting that much money into as boring of a game as Day's Gone when they already make The Last of Us. If there was no TLOU 2 I might get it in theory (even then it looks boring but I get the business of it).

Detroit looked so awful. Even for David Cage it was amazing with the complete lack of subtlety to the point where it closed out with a full minute of news reporters saying "Are Androids bad?" over and over again. How does this guy still get Sony behind him so hard?

The QTEs in the Spiderman game were like early Xbox 360/PS3 era all over again. That was unbelievable.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer about all the technical issues, but man was this an underwhelming press conference. Spider-Man looks fantastic, but even that wasn't really a new thing. The whole thing felt like more of a reminder of games; an update on shit you knew about but we didn't release yet.

I suppose if I was way into Monster Hunter I'd feel a bit differently. As it stands though the most exciting new thing from this was Shadow of the Collosus. An old ass game I meant to get the HD version of last year but'll now just get this remaster instead.

That Monster Hunter did look pretty cool though. I've played some of the PSP ones and wasn't blown away, but that grapple shit in this one is my kinda business. And back to Spider-Man, it's like a AAA shot at Arkham Spidey, and I'm 100% okay with that. Cool to see Morales and Kingpin in there. Bad guy looks dope too. Hopefully they get some more peripheral characters from the comics in for their take on the whole thing.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Excited by the Monster hunter Reveal but then I heard it was also coming to the PC so I might get it on that platform. I still want to get a PS4 for Nioh, Nier and Bloodborne at some point. I don't like this burgeoning trend of trailer showcases :/

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not disappointed because I didn't expect too much in the first place. Still not too much that I'm interested in the rest of this year. Have to see how those 2018 games develop.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the general disappointment from a lot of people across all the conferences comes from a couple of things

1: Almost every big game we've seen was known before the show started. Even the games where this was technically the debut we already knew or at least strongly suspected was coming (Crackdown 3, Wolfenstein etc.). This meant there was really no big reveal for people to get excited about, it's cool to see gameplay from these games for the first time but that doesn't have the same impact as something completely unknown showing up for the first time. I think this will be a continued trend in future as developers and publishers continue to announce games on their own terms at a time when they can dominate the headlines without being buried under the flood that has typically come at E3 time.

2. Developers being completely gun shy when it comes to putting release dates on games due to the negative press associated with delays. A lot of games have looked quite good but it's hard to get really excited when all we get is nebulous dates like '2018' or in the case of games like Days Gone and Detroit no date at all indicating we won't be playing them any time soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so over Sony's new style of context-less trailer-marathoning. It was passable last year when they had bigger, newer announcements, but this year the presentation in general was super underwhelming, and no amount of "but we have a nice light show, and some acrobats behind the screen, and a live orchestra!" can cover those faults.

Shadow of the Colossus is a good example of how their presentation only creates confusion for me more than excitement. Is it a remake? A sequel? When you have someone talking to briefly introduce or frame what you're about to see, you can know these things. Instead I'm just left bemused.

Why wasn't Undertale, Ni No Kuni, or Gran Turismo in the main show as opposed to the pre-show? Immediately after the show I thought to myself "Well, I guess that's the consequence of Sony trying to spread themselves out between E3, Gamescom, TGS, and the Playstation Experience" but there were still totally things they could've gotten more of to put up there. 2013-2015 Sony was aggressively showing off all kinds of games in their E3 pressers, and they've massively scaled things down for some reason I don't understand.

I really look forward to a Monster Hunter game with proper controls, but that's about the only thing that really grabbed my attention.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish people would stop using "remaster" and "remake" so interchangeably. Shadow of the Colossus isn't getting remastered, it's getting remade. Those were not the same graphics with a better resolution. That was new. Shadow of the Colossus already got remastered on PS3

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@frostyryan: and yet it wasn't really new though. It's still the same game. Even for a huge SotC fan that isn't that exciting. Make new games.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: and yet it wasn't really new though. It's still the same game. Even for a huge SotC fan that isn't that exciting. Make new games.

This. Especially when it was already re-released last generation. At what point do we stop recycling old games? These consoles are 4 years old!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish people would stop using "remaster" and "remake" so interchangeably. Shadow of the Colossus isn't getting remastered, it's getting remade. Those were not the same graphics with a better resolution. That was new. Shadow of the Colossus already got remastered on PS3

Was it all new? The lighting looked better but the rest I couldn't say. Remake to me means they basically started from scratch and created the game again from the ground up, like the upcoming FFVII remake, or Bionic Commando Rearmed. Stuff like the Double Fine stuff and this all strike me as remasters. Granted they're more in-depth remasters, but not quite full on remakes.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@nicksmi56: Sony poking you and saying "Do you REALLY remember how good Shadow of the Colossus was though?"

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, yeah, it's "not really new." It's a remake. They're remaking an old game. Whether or not you find that exciting is another discussion.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:
    @frostyryan said:

Was it all new? The lighting looked better but the rest I couldn't say. Remake to me means they basically started from scratch and created the game again from the ground up, like the upcoming FFVII remake, or Bionic Commando Rearmed. Stuff like the Double Fine stuff and this all strike me as remasters. Granted they're more in-depth remasters, but not quite full on remakes.

Pretty certain it is the game remade fully. But the same game again. So again I just don't care that much.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way Sony can't even keep this shit straight at this point they are remaking/remastering everything possible

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: The sad part is I did do a little squeal when I recognized the winding tower and saw Wander running around. Sigh. I love that game too much for my own good XD

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@nicksmi56: Yeah I recognized the architecture even immediately. I remember the ramp type thing up to the sword Colossus platform so vividly for whatever reason and when I saw that it grabbed me for that second too lol.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Missed the GB stream, heard about internet problems. Did they say if an archive would include a full, uncut conference?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@csl316: The stream was really rough and went down a lot but they did go back and go through everything by the end (when it crashed again lol). It'll be fine.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: The sad part is I did do a little squeal when I recognized the winding tower and saw Wander running around. Sigh. I love that game too much for my own good XD

I saw that tower and the JAPAN Studio logo and thought it'd be a new and more colourful From Software game. :(

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Brackstone

Having just watched the trailer for Hidden Agenda, which was apparently relegated to the preshow, I'm surprised they didn't give it any actual time. It looks like a fantastic followup to the suprise success of Until Dawn, and actually does something new and interesting with it's premise, and it's actually coming out this year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.