Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 94

#1  Edited By Marino  Staff
No Caption Provided

Congratulations to @whitegreyblack, who after several years of entering the contest, has won this year's Ubisoft banner! feckhead was a close second with his animated 80's retro banner. And palvand was in 3rd with his Mr. Caffeine banner.

The Official E3 2017 UBISOFT Discussion

After taking a year off, are you ready for more Assassin's Creed?
After taking a year off, are you ready for more Assassin's Creed?

E3 is THE place for announcing never before seen games. It's exciting, fast-paced stuff and we're all enthusiastic to start talking about all the new toys. But, please keep in-depth discussions about specific games in their respective forums. For more information about how to help us keep things organized, go check out the E3 2017 and You! thread.

In an attempt to keep the E3 shenanigans organized, the mods institute these official discussion threads for each conference so that everybody has a go-to place to discuss them before, during, and after the show.

Keep Discussions On Topic

This thread is exclusively for the general discussion of the Ubisoft press conference. Discussion involving the other company's conferences should be taken to their respective threads (once they're posted).

Specific Announcements

Unfortunately, Aisha Tyler's run as host is over.
Unfortunately, Aisha Tyler's run as host is over.

To help you get where you need to go to talk about anything announced or shown during this press conference, we have created a list of them right here:

Despite the insanity of E3, keep in mind that the general site rules still apply. So, don't be a dick. If you need a refresher on to conduct yourself like an upstanding citizen of the Giant Bomb community, check out the FAQ.

Where Can I Watch?

Monday, June 12 @ 1:00 PM PDT - Orpheum Theater (Your Local Time)

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I hope Vivendi keeps up the "crazy E3 conference" tradition next year.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm interested to see what their new stuff is going to be. I'm thinking they might be wanting to give Splinter Cell another go if only to keep the Tom Clancy license fresh. That Rabids vs Mario thing will probably be big reveal though.

I want to see more of Assassin's Creed, but boy, that first reveal did nothing for me. Their new combat mechanics looked really rough from the little we saw, and I'm not sure if it would be wise to show them off more.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By glots

Never played Blacklist, but maybe I'll return with the gritty reboot, The Splinter Cell. Just give me back Michael Ironside, whatever he sounds drunken and tired or not.

Oh and I haven't seen any truly awful E3 moments yet, so I hope Ubisoft delivers on those.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I am not much of an Ubisoft fan in practice, but I always appreciate the ambition of their press conferences. Far Cry 4 was my first and nearly clicked with me but ultimately I walked away from it, I think I could like Watch Dogs 2 because I almost liked Watch Dogs besides everything that had to do with its story and characters, Rayman always looks gorgeous but I think I'm just not into 2D platformers anymore, The Crew is a cool idea I don't have time for, and Assassin's Creed is objectively bad IMO.

I'd almost rather they just give a date for the South Park game and not show anything, because the game hasn't shown especially well so far in terms of its jokes and story conceit but the presentation and super fun/clever presentation of turn-based combat from the first game is something I want to do again. I could throw a bucket of water over a goth kid and electricute him with a car battery for days and I want to see what they've come up with this time.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

That was impressive. Video games galore,

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe Ubisoft completely destroyed E3 this year.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, if they wanted to kill it, they'd give BG&E2 a date.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Couldn't watch this. Can anyone give me a summary of why it's getting rave reviews? Is it just Mario and BG&E? If so, that sounds underwhelming

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After the disappointing Bethesda conference this really turned E3 around. Now I just hope Sony brings this home with a bang.

epidehl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo, straight up, that Mario/Rabbids thing is totally Chroma Squad. It's a TBS Super Sentai game that totally has the same ability and even "Jump off/team up with allies" mechanic. That's... pretty cool?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Skull and Bones has me super happy. They took the best bits out of the best Assassins Creed game and then ripped out all the AS junk nobody likes anyway. Unlike what they guys were saying, I suspect you WILL get off the boat and explore islands as well as shipwrecks on the bottom. I could be wrong but I easily see all the boat and exploration of" tombs" and "wrecks" still being part of the game. They even showed off PvE pirate hunters as they had in AC 4: BP so this COULD be a game where if you don't want to play PvP you don't have to...we'll see. One thing they added I was hoping for was customizing your boat; AC 4 :Black Pearl only has figureheads (bowsprits), ships wheels, and sails that were customizable visibly. This game seems to have far more visible customization that can change each base ships shape and ornamentation.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I really want to love Ubisoft's games, but the way they're turning just about everything they touch into "seamless online open world!" always really puts me off. Let a single player thing be a single player thing. Skull & Bones looked really appealing to me right up until it became clear it was just going to be a multiplayer, loot box drenched, game-as-service, and I was pretty bummed out.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: Fair, but, if I may offer a counterpoint:

No Caption Provided

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like Mario, but that Rabbids game seems like something I would play.

That's a sentiment I feel like I'm saying a lot this E3. "I don't like shooters, but that new Wolfenstein seems like something I would play." "I don't like Dragon Ball, but that new Arcsys fighter seems like something I might play."

That's certainly not a bad thing.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About Beyond Good and Evil, was the first game just a bunch of goofy looking animals cursing up a storm like this was?

Because if so, any interest I would've had in the first just evaporated.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ThePanzini

God damn fantastic show from UbiSoft scarily impressive the amount of variety they have I mean Mario + Rabbids + X-Com is the ultimate marmite combination that just shouldn't work, having never been an AC fan Origin looking pretty great its basically Horizon with loot.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicksmi56: I don't think there was any cursing whatsoever. It was a very PG game. (Maybe PG-13 due to laser guns.)

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was pretty good. Mario/Rabbids Xcom was awesome and completely surprising, Beyond Good and Evil 2 was a good one to end on, and they even had Elijah Wood and Macon Blair!

Skull and Bones looks great, and I hope it starts a trend in Ubisoft of making vaguely historical games that are entirely divorced from the Assassin's Creed series, which honestly looks more rote than ever. I really feel like a lot of good ideas end up in the Assassin's Creed games, but these good ideas are held back by the homogenized open world design and poor writing that are standard for the series. In other words, setting out to make a pirate game is probably going to create a much better pirate game than when they set out to make a pirate flavoured Assassin's Creed game.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Well that's good to hear. If you don't mind explaining, what about the first Beyond Good and Evil made it so beloved? Never played it, and I feel like I'm missing out on something big here judging by reactions.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Tennmuerti

Honestly so far the best press conference. The least amount of cringe, least amount of Youtube "gamechangers" bs, and more surprisingly almost no Ubisoft being the usual terrible Ubisoft self. Not having Aisha do terrible jokes served them in the best possible way, it made the whole thing feel so much more natural and easy to watch.

Also yeah they to me showed the most interesting games in total. Mario/Rabits Xcom. The AC boat gameplay being spun out into it's own MP focused game, BG&E2 among the main highlights.

I totally did not except this going in.

(Jeff expecting Farcry to be some serious deep introspective feels a lot like Austins wishful thinking and projecting rubbed off on him hard)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

Gotta say I'm super bummed out about having a very similar reaction to Vinny's concerning AC. As one of my favorite franchises I was really hoping to see an awesome new facelift, but instead it just felt weird and not what I'm looking for in that franchise. Jeff said it best by stating how it doesn't really look like an Assassins Creed game. No big crowds and dense cities.. weird outposts and leveling with a lot of hiding instead of running and parkouring. Just like Vinny I just wasn't feeling a whole lot of "fun" from what they showed, and thats a bummer.

Mario and Rabbids didn't do much for me. Not a fan of either franchise nor am I a huge turn based buff so, hey, it's a thing I guess?

Pirate game seems like For Honor with ships, which is to say a multiplayer centric game that I don't care all too much about.

Crew 2 could be good, who knows, the concept of leveling up your car is cool. The map wasn't a problem with that first game it was that the car handling wasn't "fun" until you dumped some time and high level parts into it and bad controls make an awful first impression.

FarCry 5 as most have predicted, looks like a FarCry game. Put your pitchforks away everyone, it's just a videogame after all.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 was so weird because they showed a CGI trailer years ago and then went completely radio silent.. only to come back with another CGI trailer? They really should have held off until they had some tangible "game" to show, but I guess Vivendi is nipping at their heels.

Other stuff I can't remember much of.

Overall I feel like Ubisoft usually has at least one awesome announcement that, granted, usually undergoes drastic changes before hitting the store shelves but is at least a great setpiece for the conference - like Watch Dogs or the Division. Didn't really get anything like that this year.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicksmi56: I don't know if I'm the right person to ask. I didn't actually love it when I played the remaster some years back. The setting was unique and it had some entertaining characters and interesting ideas, but the gameplay doesn't hold up all that well.

I'm still interested in BG&E2 though, since the world is something I'd interested in revisiting and the gameplay doesn't sound anything alike. Whether that's good or bad (I chose not to go for the obvious pun here) we'll see.

Marv89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this press conference, if just for all the total weirdness that was happening (Fighting Nazis in the 60s on LSD?! Mario & Rabbids doing XCOM stuff. Being in Elijah Woods head, or whatever that was? )

Only thing that I didn't get was the BG&E guys being so overly dramatic when they had nothing more to show than a CGI trailer

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: Ye, it seems like there's some misconceptions about it being only multiplayer, but everything they've said and put out heavily hints at it being more of a Destiny situation. To quote their press release, "Skull & Bones is an online naval game that will take players across a dynamic, shared open-ocean that reacts to their actions and evolves to continuously challenge them." and "Play Solo or Coop: Raid the Hunting Grounds alone or group with other players to hunt larger prey."

They just decided to only show a PvP mode for some reason. I'd guess because the game is still fairly early in development and the naval combat was already sorta imported from AC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicksmi56: A good comparison to it would be Psychonauts. Well received by critics (critically is not a word, right?), sold poorly and got a cult following after. Rough around the edges gameplay wise but has huge amounts of charm and colorful characters.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

So, that was Macon Blair at the end of that Transference trailer, right? And I read its not solely VR and will have a non-VR version later. I'm... pretty interested in that

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, that was Macon Blair at the end of that Transference trailer, right? And I read its not solely VR and will have a non-VR version later. I'm... pretty interested in that

Yep, that was Macon Blair. A weird Elijah Wood, Macon Blair FMV game about hacking brains or whatever sounds amazing.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boonsong: Ahh, ok. Maybe I'll give it a look at some point :)

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@marokai said:

I really want to love Ubisoft's games, but the way they're turning just about everything they touch into "seamless online open world!" always really puts me off. Let a single player thing be a single player thing. Skull & Bones looked really appealing to me right up until it became clear it was just going to be a multiplayer, loot box drenched, game-as-service, and I was pretty bummed out.

This is exactly where I land on this as well. Ubisoft's games seem to really appeal to me but their always-online thing kills it for me every time.

I was especially bummed when the presenter for Skull and Bones said the words "play solo" and immediately followed it up with "or four of your friends" and not a single thing was mentioned about anything even resembling single-player was shown or uttered after that.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Count me among those underwhelmed by Assassin's Creed. All the stuff they're saying about it sounds good and I love the way it looks but those gameplay segments were like watching paint dry.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

This is exactly where I land on this as well. Ubisoft's games seem to really appeal to me but their always-online thing kills it for me every time.

I was especially bummed when the presenter for Skull and Bones said the words "play solo" and immediately followed it up with "or four of your friends" and not a single thing was mentioned about anything even resembling single-player was shown or uttered after that.

100% agree with all this. I'm a pretty avid MP guy, but I tend to pick one or two MP games I'm into and stick with them long term, not hop from game to game playing little bits of the MP, so the deluge of multiplayer content in Ubi games generally just adds up to more content I avoid, as I do my best to exhume what little bits of SP focused, story driven content they still manage to squeeze in.

The biggest bummer is that I'm generally more positive on the Ubisoft "template" than most people seem to be at this point, and I'd be way into playing a good, focused version thereof, but the way they've been pushing that template by just adding more people and opening up the objectives and gameplay to enable more players' input has ended up making every option equally viable, which leaves me playing their games the same way by their end as I do in the opening hours, further compounding the fatigue that comes with their sprawling, side-content laden worlds.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Ubisoft multiplayer is usually fantastic so I'm totally down for AC Pirating, curious where they go with it; if it was literally just open world roaming and ganking that would probably work better though (and be more piratey).

Best conference so far by a wide margin just in terms of presentation/pacing.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 8

@nicksmi56: looks like there's a Quick Look on the site for the HD Version. Haven't seen it myself though.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fredchuckdave

XCOM Mario looks pretty sweet, I'll continue to want a Nintendo console but not quite enough to actually buy one.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I can't believe the Mario game was XCOM (which I love). And I think the launcher/physics stuff they showed at one point (where they were shooting the enemy out of the air as they bounced around) seems like a crazy fun addition. I was really impressed. But I find it very funny. When they were showing exactly Reaction shots from XCOM in slow mo I started cracking up. This is making me want to get a Switch.

@epidehl said:

Yo, straight up, that Mario/Rabbids thing is totally Chroma Squad. It's a TBS Super Sentai game that totally has the same ability and even "Jump off/team up with allies" mechanic. That's... pretty cool?

I was right there with you thinking that. No one played that game but it deserves credit for that mechanic it's really cool. There's some cool things in it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@humanity said:

FarCry 5 as most have predicted, looks like a FarCry game. Put your pitchforks away everyone, it's just a videogame after all.

On the stream Jeff was shocked. He seemed to buy the pitch he got from developers at a presentation more than what he was shown in the video because he was buying into all the talk and idea this was some political game. I am not in the least bit surprised it's so dumb. It was literally a fucking gun church. But I have found Far Cry 3 and 4 so annoying and stupid throughout in their story.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was by the far the most interesting conference to me. Mario/Rabbids, against all odds, actually looks super fun. Skull & Bones looks like a great competitive game. I suspect it'll get compared to Sea of Thieves a lot, but it doesn't seem fair. The only thing they have in common is pirates and ship combat. One game is all about doing everything that has to do with being pirate, the other is all about ship combat on top of more ship combat sprinkled with ship combat. They seem aimed at very different audiences and I'm genuinely excited for both.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 though? Yes. Yes. Yes. That trailer was great and that game sounds nuts. I cannot wait.

I never thought Ubisoft would be the one to steal the show, but...here we are.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By LackingSaint

That was an incredible press conference. Aside from the Crew and South Park stuff I think I had a smile on my face the whole time.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#40  Edited By monkeyking1969

@ares42 said:

@monkeyking1969: Ye, it seems like there's some misconceptions about it being only multiplayer, but everything they've said and put out heavily hints at it being more of a Destiny situation. To quote their press release, "Skull & Bones is an online naval game that will take players across a dynamic, shared open-ocean that reacts to their actions and evolves to continuously challenge them." and "Play Solo or Coop: Raid the Hunting Grounds alone or group with other players to hunt larger prey."

They just decided to only show a PvP mode for some reason. I'd guess because the game is still fairly early in development and the naval combat was already sorta imported from AC.

That's good to hear. I would have tried some PvP if that was the only way, but knowing there is a solo option makes me happy.

I have to say Ubisoft seemed to have the correct tone and feel through. It was really even without the low-dips that EA, Sony and Microsoft had in their shows. I think the cringe worthy Ubisoft has become a thing of the past, but it only now seems evident that are supplying a nice mix of games. They know WHO and WHAT they are in this industry. (Sure, they have some bad habits with DLC and other business practices...but they put on good shows now.)

flopsyduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By flopsyduck

Far Cry 5 creative director Dan Hay talked a lot about the upcoming game on the Namek vs. Saiyan podcast this week: https://soundcloud.com/user-298173117/ep-4-dan-hay-teases-far-cry-5-xbox-one-x-reactions

Avatar image for twilight_prince
Twilight_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Far cry 5 is great and i cannot believe that they are making Mario Rabbids since 2013. This new Xcom game is looks so different.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

First time in a long time I haven't had to cringe my way through an Ubisoft conference (the same can't be said for EA). The new hosting style with Yve guiding the show really worked.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@humanity said:

On the stream Jeff was shocked. He seemed to buy the pitch he got from developers at a presentation more than what he was shown in the video because he was buying into all the talk and idea this was some political game. I am not in the least bit surprised it's so dumb. It was literally a fucking gun church. But I have found Far Cry 3 and 4 so annoying and stupid throughout in their story.

Yeah, I was actually hoping Far Cry 5 would be semi-serious. I'm kinda bummed that the E3 trailer sure made it look like same ol' Far Cry. Tonally, it was all over the map and way different than the early stuff they showed. It's like they're already backing off the direction they were going a few weeks ago. I'm disappointed.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@notnert427: I really think it was pretty carefully delivered on the reveal to create controversy and then when the game comes out it's wacky and that stuffs gone but they still got some of that controversy promotion for themselves. I also think games journalists honestly love to run with that possibly political story and make their statements and stuff of that. It's just like I say, all signs pointing towards it not being serious or a crafted political message.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a Weird E3 when Ubisoft had the best conference IMO. And Yves did a ok job hosting it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.