Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2021

Concept »

After the cancellation of E3 2020 due to COVID-19, E3 returned as a digital-only event taking place from June 12-15.

Data Dump: Who Won E3 2021?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff
    We never did find that Elder Scrolls VI info for ya. Sorry!
    We never did find that Elder Scrolls VI info for ya. Sorry!

It's always been a silly question to ask. This year more than any other, it's quite obvious that many people had their expectations out of whack. It should go without saying, but COVID has been going for a year and a half now, and has affected just about everyone and everything.

With that said, I still think it's fun to compile a bit of data whenever I can. So, what if we applied a little math and science to it anyway? If you were in chat during any of the press conferences media briefings showcases, then you may have seen a poll at the end asking you to rate the show from 1-10. Well, I took all that data and used it to determine who the Giant Bomb Community thinks "won E3 2021."

I'm only running data on the showcases that Giant Bomb talked over.

Of course, the true winner of E3 was the gamers ...CHAOS! Well, either that or the Devolver Digital show, which was also pure chaos.

Summer Game Fest Kickoff Live

For being the first of its kind and the first one out of the gate this year, people seemed to enjoy what Keighley put together here. General consensus was that it dragged in the middle and could've been shorter, but ending with Elden Ring left almost everyone feeling good on the way out.
    For being the first of its kind and the first one out of the gate this year, people seemed to enjoy what Keighley put together here. General consensus was that it dragged in the middle and could've been shorter, but ending with Elden Ring left almost everyone feeling good on the way out.

Ubisoft

This is actually UP 0.51 points from their 2019 showing, but most of us seemed pretty disappointed with Ubisoft's showing this year. To be fair, Ubisoft has moved to doing these
    This is actually UP 0.51 points from their 2019 showing, but most of us seemed pretty disappointed with Ubisoft's showing this year. To be fair, Ubisoft has moved to doing these "Ubisoft Forward" events multiple times a year, so they're not bringing all their guns to one show. It probably didn't help that Mario + Rabbids leaked. Also, who cares about Avatar at this point?

Microsoft

This is up 0.88 from 2019. Xbox (now tag teaming with Bethesda) really came out swinging and made an even bigger case for Game Pass. It feels almost silly at this point to not be signed up.
    This is up 0.88 from 2019. Xbox (now tag teaming with Bethesda) really came out swinging and made an even bigger case for Game Pass. It feels almost silly at this point to not be signed up.

Square Enix

Believe it or not, this is also UP from 2019 by 0.38 points. In chat, it seemed like Square Enix fans wanted more RPG stuff in the presentation. Weird, right? Square's dedication to Marvel really seems to have rubbed some people the wrong way. When they use 15+ minutes for Guardians then 30 seconds on Final Fantasy remakes, I guess I can see why. It also didn't help that neither Babylon's Fall nor Stranger of Paradise made a good impression. CHAOS!
    Believe it or not, this is also UP from 2019 by 0.38 points. In chat, it seemed like Square Enix fans wanted more RPG stuff in the presentation. Weird, right? Square's dedication to Marvel really seems to have rubbed some people the wrong way. When they use 15+ minutes for Guardians then 30 seconds on Final Fantasy remakes, I guess I can see why. It also didn't help that neither Babylon's Fall nor Stranger of Paradise made a good impression. CHAOS!

Nintendo

Believe it or not, Nintendo was the only rating that went down from 2019 (-1.41). Personally, I think this score is a little low. I mean... we've definitely seen worse showings from Nintendo in the past. All things considered, this was pretty good. We got a surprise new Metroid, a surprise new WarioWare, another taste of Breath of the Wild 2, and a new Mario Party. Well... 3 out of 4 ain't bad.
    Believe it or not, Nintendo was the only rating that went down from 2019 (-1.41). Personally, I think this score is a little low. I mean... we've definitely seen worse showings from Nintendo in the past. All things considered, this was pretty good. We got a surprise new Metroid, a surprise new WarioWare, another taste of Breath of the Wild 2, and a new Mario Party. Well... 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Overall

After Nintendo ended on Tuesday, I asked everyone who they thought had the best showing at E3. This was the result:

No Caption Provided

So, if we take this data and compare it to the data collected after each conference, what do we get?

No Caption Provided

Almost the same order. The "Overall Vote" may have been skewed a bit since it was immediately after Nintendo, but who knows.

Either way you look at it, Xbox dominated this year's E3 according to the Giant Bomb Community.

Until next year (hopefully), <>.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1 sweep  Moderator
    No Caption Provided

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

No, you're a data dump.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Marino  Staff
    FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Still trying to figure out who voted Square anything above a 6.

Also, nerds.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 bigsocrates  Online

You forgot to include the Amico data here. I assume that oversight will be corrected shortly. Unless you're not including the Amico so that the other conferences have a chance.

I mean Microsoft? What was their big game? Forza Horizon 5? Why did they need 5 games to get it right?

Have you heard of a little something called Shark Shark?

While Microsoft and Sony were busy making The Playstation Pro Pro and the Xbox One Double X Intellivision was creating a true next gen experience.
    While Microsoft and Sony were busy making The Playstation Pro Pro and the Xbox One Double X Intellivision was creating a true next gen experience.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Marino  Staff

@bigsocrates: According to the Official E3 Awards™, the Most Anticipated Intellivision Game of E3 2021™ was Asteroids.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

This year's e3 was more than a little pathetic. I get that for many publishers they had to do it for any number of reason, not teh least of which people needed to know something. You woudl think after 14 months of people stucks at home playing games that the subjects of games woudl not be boring or unknowable, but that is what e3 this year presented. People ant games, but there was no much disruption to make games. people want new gaming hardware, but there was too much disruption to source ist, build it, and sell it.

This is not gloom and dok ist just that this year if a "make up" year for everyone. It sucks that there is interest and there is momentum of WANTING to play new games, but that how the rest of this year will be - running out the clock. Most everything is going to be showing up in 2022 or 2023, unless ist was set for a 2020 release and is being finished up haphazardly right now.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bigsocrates  Online

@marino: A home version of Asteroids? For only $250?

I guess everyone else was competing for second place.

Forza Horizon 5? More like Who is this Forza when we could be playing Asteroids? Horizon 5.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Marino  Staff

@bigsocrates: You liked Forza Horizon? Well, we went and got three of the QA testers from the original game and we've made... Car Quest.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, can we just get rid of E3 at this point? I can't think of a single announcement that really gave me the fizz. All I remember is that a lot of things are coming to GamePass, but I can't remember very much about the actual games.

No Caption Provided

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bigsocrates  Online

@therealturk: Honestly, if Microsoft's market research after their presentation came back and said "People remember that a lot of games are coming to game pass but not the specifics" they'd probably call that a win. A big win.

That's why we can't get rid of E3. People still pay attention to it. Articles get written, podcasts get casted...3 million people watched Nintendo's infomercial about the upcoming year. Even the Amico got 20 minutes of coverage on Giant Bomb.

As long as people keep talking about E3, even complaining about it, everyone involved wins. Even the shows that were poorly received...at least everyone knows that there's going to be a Guardians of the Galaxy game now. I'd say that all things considered E3 was a big success this year. It's not if there wasn't an E3 show people would like Square Enix's lineup better.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.