Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2023

Concept »

E3 2023 was canceled due to lack of publisher participation.

ReedPop, Organizer Of PAX, Officially In Charge Of E3 2023

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

In a relatively surprising announcement at the top of the morning, the Entertainment Software Association (i.e., ESA) have announced that ReedPop, the outfit that organizes PAX, NYCC, and various Star Wars Celebrations, will be in charge of organizing E3 2023. When you look at the direction the ESA have been wanting to take E3 in the past five years, especially before the pandemic, this makes sense. After retooling E3 to make it more press and developer oriented, E3 pivoted back to a consumer-first format before the pandemic. Also, the team at ReedPop know how to run a good consumer-friendly event if given enough time.

Honestly, the good news is that Geoff Keighley is not the end all be all arbiter of big gaming events. Though, it is interesting to note that right after all this was announced, Keighley announced the date and time for the 2023 Summer Game Fest. What will be interesting is if a ReedPop E3 will convince non-ESA sanctioned independent developer conferences to return. Even before the pandemic, Sony and Nintendo pulled out of E3 and smaller developers started to do their own thing as well.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I know E3 is bad and everyone who attends it sort of hates it, but the last few summers have felt empty without those big stupid shows.

I hope that this reworking of the show somewhat resembles what we had in the past.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Those are the guys you'd want in charge. Especially if becomes more of a public event rather than an industry get-together.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Honestly, this is one of the least surprising things E3 could have done in my book. As people care less and less about the pandemic, people are going to be clamoring for physical events to go to again and there's no way the ESA wasn't going to capitalize on that. They've also taking a lot of crap over the show, even before the pandemic, for having no idea what the general public wants from a consumer event, so hiring someone that's been doing it for years makes total sense.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ramone: Yeah, I miss the spectacle. I miss hearing all the crazy shit happening behind the scenes. I miss just finding small gems from the deluge of announced games. All that has been lost without an E3.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

The E3 of old is dead and is going to stay dead. Keighley will continue to do his thing and the majority of big publishers out there will keep just talking directly to fans with their own streams on their own schedule.

That said, I'm sure for the general public attending, this will be a much better show than it was when E3 previously opened its doors to the public in 2017-2019. ReedPop knows how to run a public show like this, and they should be able to present people with an at least half-way decent experience. It isn't going to be the industry event with big news and announcements like it used to be, but it can potentially serve a different purpose for a different audience.

camitalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If anyone can turn e3 around its Reedpop, but also IAm8Bit also seemed promising until they pulled out abruptly.

That being said, Sony, EA, Ubisoft and Nintendo haven't really done anything this year and having an E3 next year probably won't change that seeing as neither EA nor Sony were going to be at e3 2020. There are less games and less reasons to hold a big flashy show every year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.