Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EA Games

Company »

EA Games is a publishing label used by Electronic Arts for most of its non-sports titles.

EA shutting down more servers.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ch13696

So it turns out EA is shutting down more servers. Here's the list: 

March 16th Shutdown 
    - Def Jam Icon (PS3 & Xbox 360) 
    - Godfather (PS3 & Xbox 360) 
    - Lord of the Rings Conquest (PC, PS3 & Xbox 360) 
    - Mercenaries 2 World in Flames (PC) 
    - Need for Speed Carbon (PSP) 
    - Need for Speed Pro Street (PSP) 
    - The Simpsons Game (PS3 & Xbox 360) 

April 15th Shutdown 
    - Burnout 3 Takedown (PS2 & Xbox) 
    - Army of Two (PS3 - Asia Only) 
    - Battlefield 2 Modern Combat (Xbox) 
    - Madden 09 (Xbox) 

Most of these aren't that significant. However, some of these are. For example Def Jam Icon. There's still people out there that play that online and I believe there are also online achievements as well. I could be wrong. Also, Lord of the Rings Conquest. It hasn't been out that long. Only about a year (released January 19th 2009). Also it has online trophies and achievements. So I'm going to suggest to all you trophy and achievement whores to pick up this title. Hell, it's only 17.99 used at GameStop. So put your GameStop dignity to the side and get it.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson
    @ch13696: You're suggesting people buy a below average title which servers are soon to be shut down? I'm somewhat confused by this.
    cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cspiffo

It's times like this where I'm glad Microsoft chose to go matchmaking instead of dedicated for online games.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ch13696
    @Hitchenson: Only for those people that are achievement and trophy whores. I should edit that though.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hitchenson
    @ch13696: Ah, okay. That makes sense. 
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Andorski
    @cspiffo said:
    " It's times like this where I'm glad Microsoft chose to go matchmaking instead of dedicated for online games. "
    Except Microsoft is shutting down all original Xbox games on the 15th. Granted... they gave a pretty long life to the original Xbox 1's online service, but still, having companies shut down game servers does suck.

While EA is shutting down online games that I have no interest in, the fact that they are doing it at all for games that are not that old is a bit alarming.  The only possible good news can be that they are making these decisions based off of player activity rather than going, "Hey, lets cancel Madden 10 right when Madden 11 comes out so we can bolster sales!"
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

Lord of the Rings:  Conquest is a terrible game at any price.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ch13696
    @Andorski said:
    " @cspiffo said:
    " It's times like this where I'm glad Microsoft chose to go matchmaking instead of dedicated for online games. "
    Except Microsoft is shutting down all original Xbox games on the 15th. Granted... they gave a pretty long life to the original Xbox 1's online service, but still, having companies shut down game servers does suck.  While EA is shutting down online games that I have no interest in, the fact that they are doing it at all for games that are not that old is a bit alarming.  The only possible good news can be that they are making these decisions based off of player activity rather than going, "Hey, lets cancel Madden 10 right when Madden 11 comes out so we can bolster sales!" "
    Imagine if EA canceled Madden 10 before Madden 11? It would be 2005 all over again. Everyone would like Activision over EA.
    cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cspiffo
    @Andorski said:
    " @cspiffo said:
    Except Microsoft is shutting down all original Xbox games on the 15th. Granted... they gave a pretty long life to the original Xbox 1's online service, but still, having companies shut down game servers does suck.  While EA is shutting down online games that I have no interest in, the fact that they are doing it at all for games that are not that old is a bit alarming.  The only possible good news can be that they are making these decisions based off of player activity rather than going, "Hey, lets cancel Madden 10 right when Madden 11 comes out so we can bolster sales!" "

True, but in the case of the Xbox it's the whole ecosystem that is being shut down not just some random games.  Also, the only reason they are even doing this is to allow expansion on the newer console...still sucks though I guess.  I like the fact that the online games for the original Xbox (except for EA games) are still playable up until the cutoff.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wow, I'm very surprised LotR is on there, like you said it's only been out a year. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.