Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EA Games

Company »

EA Games is a publishing label used by Electronic Arts for most of its non-sports titles.

If they fucked Pandemic, how does Bioware's future look?

• 52 results
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb

Mercs 2 crashed and burned, it bombed, it sucked, it's terrible. People say it was rushed out the doors, is this the fault of EA? If so, does Bioware have a grim future ahead?

It makes me cringe, simply at the thought of hearing "EA Games...Challenge Everything!" when I turn on Mass Effect 2. But are these the least of my worries? I don't think so. I'll try to remain relatively optimistic about Bioware in the coming months, instead of spouting doom & gloom. Still, it is a serious concern of mine that Mercenaries 2 and Mass Effect 2 may share the same fate.

What do other GiantBombers think?

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DualReaver

They had three years to make the game. It might have got rushed out in the end because EA was tired and fed up with paying them to develop a mediocre almost broken game that probably wouldn't get all that good of sales.
    They had three years and they couldn't even make a game anywhere near on par with the original.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I'm going to pretend Bioware and EA are completely unrelated.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By kush

Yet again everyone wants to blame EA. "Rushed out the doors"? The game got delayed more than once...they had plenty of time to take out the bugs.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By atejas

EA's defiling influence corrupts everything it touches.

Red Alert will fall to this as well.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Kush said:
    "Yet again everyone wants to blame EA. "Rushed out the doors"? The game got delayed more than once...they had plenty of time to take out the bugs."

I'm not the biggest EA hater out there. They've got Will Wright, Harmonix, Criterion, DICE, and a few other solid studios. That doesn't mean EA is pure, not even by a long shot. I don't know why Mercs 2 sucks, I didn't even play it. Some say it is EA's fault and if that is the case, what does that say about the future of Bioware? That's my question.
    zidane33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zidane33

they delayed releasing mercs2 for a year! how can you say it was rushed!!

i'm tired from all the EA bashing these days, they are changed now from being the greedy corporate,
    they greatly increased the quality of the annual sports game, see how fifa 09, nfl 09 and nhl 09 are way better than their 08 counterparts
    they have an awesome lineup of games coming up coughdeadspacecough
    read this interview people and let the trend of bashing EA stop! Activision Blizzard is the real devil IMO
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kush
    BiggerBomb said:
    "I'm not the biggest EA hater out there. They've got Will Wright, Harmonix, Criterion, DICE, and a few other solid studios. That doesn't mean EA is pure, not even by a long shot. I don't know why Mercs 2 sucks, I didn't even play it. Some say it is EA's fault and if that is the case, what does that say about the future of Bioware? That's my question."
    That makes your entire argument worthless.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Kush said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "I'm not the biggest EA hater out there. They've got Will Wright, Harmonix, Criterion, DICE, and a few other solid studios. That doesn't mean EA is pure, not even by a long shot. I don't know why Mercs 2 sucks, I didn't even play it. Some say it is EA's fault and if that is the case, what does that say about the future of Bioware? That's my question."
    That makes your entire argument worthless."

No it doesn't, I don't need to play a game to know it is bad. A lot of people say that this is EA's fault, it might not be. This is a topic for discussion. What's with the animosity?
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pibo47
    Kush said:
    "Yet again everyone wants to blame EA. "Rushed out the doors"? The game got delayed more than once...they had plenty of time to take out the bugs."
    I agree 100%. Pandimic had the chance to make a good game, but they screwed it up.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_
    BiggerBomb said:
    "

No it doesn't, I don't need to play a game to know it is bad. 
    You usually do.

Anyway, I think EA has no fucking idea where they're going with this whole partner-studio thing and quality control. Push out Mercs 2 but axe Tiberium, keep going with SecuROM and only hurt developer's studios in the fold, acquire, destroy or don't destroy? They're getting too big and cancerous for their own good. They can either get themselves under control (unlikely) or get the fuck out.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Jayge said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "

No it doesn't, I don't need to play a game to know it is bad. 
    You usually do.

Anyway, I think EA has no fucking idea where they're going with this whole partner-studio thing and quality control. Push out Mercs 2 but axe Tiberium, keep going with SecuROM and only hurt developer's studios in the fold, acquire, destroy or don't destroy? They're getting too big and cancerous for their own good. They can either get themselves under control (unlikely) or get the fuck out.
    "

Do I need to play Big Rigs to know it's crap? I would say that the same applies to Mercenaries 2.

If a game is rated in the 7.0 range, it is up for interpretation. Some people might say it is simply "ok," I might love it to death. But if a game is universally acknowledged as a bad game, do I have to play it to say so?
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kush
    BiggerBomb said:
    "No it doesn't, I don't need to play a game to know it is bad. A lot of people say that this is EA's fault, it might not be. This is a topic for discussion. What's with the animosity?"
    You're not helping yourself with that statement. You do need to play a game to form a real opinion on whether it's good or not.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_
    BiggerBomb said:
    " do I have to play it to say so?"
    If you'd like to be credible, yes.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BiggerBomb

Have you two ever played Big Rigs? I haven't and I don't intend to, because it isn't a good game.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayge_
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Have you two ever played Big Rigs? I haven't and I don't intend to, because it isn't a good game."
    I played it just to try for myself. That game is hilarious.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BiggerBomb

This isn't the point anyway, people seem to ignore the giant "IF" in my title. I am not saying they did screw Pandemic over the barrel, I am asking if this is the case and if so, will Bioware suffer the same fate.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DualReaver

Definitely not.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kush
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Do I need to play Big Rigs to know it's crap? I would say that the same applies to Mercenaries 2.

If a game is rated in the 7.0 range, it is up for interpretation. Some people might say it is simply "ok," I might love it to death. But if a game is universally acknowledged as a bad game, do I have to play it to say so?"
    Well then, by your logic Mercenaries 2 is up for interpretation. Play it before you hate it.

Play before you hate. Whistle while you wait.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jayge_
    BiggerBomb said:
    "This isn't the point anyway, people seem to ignore the giant "IF" in my title. I am not saying they did screw Pandemic over the barrel, I am asking if this is the case and if so, will Bioware suffer the same fate."
    BioWare would have to make a widely criticized game for them to consider it, and even then BioWare is way too popular to kill off. EA would catch so much flack that you'd be able to look through their metaphorical body like a window.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Kush said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Do I need to play Big Rigs to know it's crap? I would say that the same applies to Mercenaries 2.

If a game is rated in the 7.0 range, it is up for interpretation. Some people might say it is simply "ok," I might love it to death. But if a game is universally acknowledged as a bad game, do I have to play it to say so?"
    Well then, by your logic Mercenaries 2 is up for interpretation. Play it before you hate it.

"

I am not saying I hate it, I am saying "others say it is not a good game. If this is EA's fault, what does this mean for Bioware?" You're being a bit of a dick, Kush.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Emilio

Well it depends on what kinda of contract Bioware signed with EA. They could have full control over development time and artistic vision and what not.

Or not.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DualReaver

Nothing will happen to Bioware. >:|
    If it ends up like Mercs 2 they'll get shit load of delays to hopefully make their game not suck.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Jayge said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "This isn't the point anyway, people seem to ignore the giant "IF" in my title. I am not saying they did screw Pandemic over the barrel, I am asking if this is the case and if so, will Bioware suffer the same fate."
    BioWare would have to make a widely criticized game for them to consider it, and even then BioWare is way too popular to kill off. EA would catch so much flack that you'd be able to look through their metaphorical body like a window."

I don't think EA intentionally corrupts games. They aren't sitting around a stone table in robes, wondering how they could balance PR if they destroyed another company.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kush
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Have you two ever played Big Rigs? I haven't and I don't intend to, because it isn't a good game."
    Yes. I have played it and I own it. I like to keep a history of awful games in my collection so that I never forget them. I have Jumper: Griffin's Story for the 360...it is absolutely awful, just read my review. ...but I made my own up my own opinion after playing the game, not just taking the opinion of the masses...
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Kush said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    Yes. I have played it and I own it. I like to keep a history of awful games in my collection so that I never forget them. I have Jumper: Griffin's Story for the 360...it is absolutely awful, just read my review. ...but I made my own up my own opinion after playing the game, not just taking the opinion of the masses..."

Read:

BiggerBomb said:
    "Kush said:
    "BiggerBomb said:

"

I am not saying I hate it, I am saying "others say it is not a good game. If this is EA's fault, what does this mean for Bioware?" You're being a bit of a dick, Kush."

And stop trying to bash me into a pulp without acknowledging the "IF" of the topic.
    DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DualReaver

Why don't you acknowledge people's answers instead of fruitlessly defending yourself when you "know" you're right?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiggerBomb
    DualReaver said:
    "Why don't you acknowledge people's answers instead of fruitlessly defending yourself when you "know" you're right?"

I am acknowledging their answers and I am disagreeing with them. Google the definition of "discussion."

Kush, I am not some conformist that just jumps on the hatred band-wagon if the masses seem to agree. If I see many critics give the game poor reviews, I am not going to spend money just to find out if they are right.

I am saying "if, it is bad." "If, it is bad." "If, it is bad." "If, it is bad." "If, it is bad." "If, it is bad." "If, it is bad." I am asking others, I am not stating something as a fact.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kush
    BiggerBomb said:
    "I am not saying I hate it, I am saying "others say it is not a good game. If this is EA's fault, what does this mean for Bioware?" You're being a bit of a dick, Kush."
    I'm not being a dick. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say a game is completely messed up without ever trying the game for themselves. And I already stated that I don't think this is EA's fault. I don't know how anyone could put the blame on EA. They didn't rush this game out at all. This game was supposed to come out about two years ago. They gave Pandemic plenty of time to finish the game. Pandemic didn't finish the job. The blame belongs to Pandemic and no one else.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pause422

Your statements and topic have so many things wrong with them, even if you saw EA as the destroyer of worlds and a terrible company, Bioware is going to be in no way threatened by this..they can acknowledge how good of devs bioware is, they will hardly interfere with their projects at all and let them do what they want, because their games sell.  Mercs 2 was delayed time and time again, because it was only mediocre in the end and full of bugs isn't EA's fault but pandemics. Its rediculous that the game had a single bug in it after being delayed for so damn long.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jayge_
    BiggerBomb said:
    "
    I don't think EA intentionally corrupts games. They aren't sitting around a stone table in robes, wondering how they could balance PR if they destroyed another company."
    I was referring to BioWare to have to make a flop to be even chastised lightly by EA. And as to sitting around tables considering stuff like that, they pay people to do it all day long.
    DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DualReaver
    BiggerBomb said:
    "DualReaver said:
    "Why don't you acknowledge people's answers instead of fruitlessly defending yourself when you "know" you're right?"

I am acknowledging their answers and I am disagreeing with them. Google the definition of "discussion.".
    That's great, but the topic isn't about the legitimacy of your question and reasoning. It's about whether or not people think EA will fuck over Bioware.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Kush said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "I am not saying I hate it, I am saying "others say it is not a good game. If this is EA's fault, what does this mean for Bioware?" You're being a bit of a dick, Kush."
    I'm not being a dick. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say a game is completely messed up without ever trying the game for themselves. And I already stated that I don't think this is EA's fault. I don't know how anyone could put the blame on EA. They didn't rush this game out at all. This game was supposed to come out about two years ago. They gave Pandemic plenty of time to finish the game. Pandemic didn't finish the job. The blame belongs to Pandemic and no one else."

Ok, fine. Thanks for your contribution. Instead of just trying to say, "YOU'RE WRONG! LOOK! LOOK, EVERYBODY! BIGGERBOMB ISN'T CREDIBLE!" Try reading the fucking "if" in my title and responding to the posts and portions of my posts that say WHY I disagree with you.

I asked a question and you are euphemistically thrpwing insults at me. Yes, you are being a dick.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Systech

I won't worry. BioWare is going to be fine.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BiggerBomb
    DualReaver said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "DualReaver said:

I am acknowledging their answers and I am disagreeing with them. Google the definition of "discussion.".
    That's great, but the topic isn't about the legitimacy of your question and reasoning. It's about whether or not people think EA will fuck over Bioware."
    Yes, so why are you arguing with me?
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kush
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Kush, I am not some conformist that just jumps on the hatred band-wagon if the masses seem to agree. If I see many critics give the game poor reviews, I am not going to spend money just to find out if they are right.
    I am not calling you a conformist or anything like that, but just look at your first post. "Mercs 2 crashed and burned, it bombed, it sucked, it's terrible." That is a statement put in a way that makes it sound like a firm truth; like something you can back up with your own experiences of the game. Maybe you didn't mean for it to come out that way, but that's how I read it.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BiggerBomb
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Mercs 2 crashed and burned, it bombed, it sucked, it's terrible.People say it was rushed out the doors, is this the fault of EA? If so, does Bioware have a grim future ahead?

It makes me cringe, simply at the thought of hearing "EA Games...Challenge Everything!" when I turn on Mass Effect 2. But are these the least of my worries? I don't think so. I'll try to remain relatively optimistic about Bioware in the coming months, instead of spouting doom & gloom. Still, it is a serious concern of mine that Mercenaries 2 and Mass Effect 2 may share the same fate.

What do other GiantBombers think?"

Don't cherry pick comments from my post and then base your argument around it. If you think I can't base my opinions of a game off of the reviews, that is your own business. But instead of trying to tell me why I am wrong, when that isn't even the point of the thread, address the actual topic at hand.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kush

I am not throwing any insults at you whatsoever. ...I don't care what that the title says "IF" ...I based my responses around what's written in the thread. Here is the simple answer you want: Bioware's future looks absolutely 100% fine and unchanged.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Kush said:
    "I am not throwing any insults at you whatsoever. ...I don't care what that the title says "IF" ...I based my responses around what's written in the thread. Here is the simple answer you want: Bioware's future looks absolutely 100% fine and unchanged."

BiggerBomb said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Mercs 2 crashed and burned, it bombed, it sucked, it's terrible.People say it was rushed out the doors, is this the fault of EA? If so, does Bioware have a grim future ahead?

What do other GiantBombers think?"

Don't cherry pick comments from my post and then base your argument around it. If you think I can't base my opinions of a game off of the reviews, that is your own business. But instead of trying to tell me why I am wrong, when that isn't even the point of the thread, address the actual topic at hand."

Read for once.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kush

I like how you accuse me throwing all these insults at you and then you go and insult me...whatever, I'm done with this thread.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Kush said:
    "I like how you accuse me throwing all these insults at you and then you go and insult me...whatever, I'm done with this thread."

Yeah, when someone insults me I insult back. That is usually the way it works. I don't need to take crap from you and if you leave the thread, all the better. I'm asking a question, you gave your answer after dodging the question for about 10 posts so you could sling shit at me. I don't appreciate that and I won't lie down and take it, leave if you want. I won't lose any sleep for it.
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By BigBoss1911
    zidane33 said:
    "they delayed releasing mercs2 for a year! how can you say it was rushed!!
    i'm tired from all the EA bashing these days, they are changed now from being the greedy corporate,
    they greatly increased the quality of the annual sports game, see how fifa 09, nfl 09 and nhl 09 are way better than their 08 counterparts
    read this interview people and let the trend of bashing EA stop! Activision Blizzard is the real devil IMO
    "
    EA still sucks
    zidane33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By zidane33
    BigBoss1911 said:
    "zidane33 said:
    "they delayed releasing mercs2 for a year! how can you say it was rushed!!
    "
    EA still sucks"
    how does EA suck exactly??
    tmontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By tmontana1004

I'm also very worried about KOTOR 3...knowing EA it will cost 20 bucks a month and will have DRM and the works.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By damswedon

if i remember right bioware signed a contact with Microsoft for rights to publish the first 2 mass effect games.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By Rowr

Bioware is fine.

The doctors wont put up with shit.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Mercs2 was the biggest dissapointment sinse God father III

I wanted that game so bad...but when I got it....sadness

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Red

Dude, Bioware's gonna be fine. 

Plus, EA had a good year this year, why can't people forgive and forget? Plus, Mass Effect sold REALLY well, like, 1.6 million copies worth. EA just wants them to keep up what  they're doing.
    Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Teh_Eel

As long as EA dont place DRM on biowares pc games then it will be ok. I dont like EA but i think they days of them fucking up developers like westwood are over (hopefully).

Avatar image for crazysonofabitch
    CrazySonOfABitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CrazySonOfABitch

What? Pandemic spent over 50 million bucks to develop a game that took three years,and sold poorly and The Sabotuer wasn't much better! On the other hand,BioWare is a fucking gold mine!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.