Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EA Sports

Company »

EA Sports is a publishing label used by Electronic Arts for all of its sports titles. EA Sports currently publishes franchises such as Madden NFL, FIFA Soccer, NBA Live and the NHL games.

EA Sports Announces That You Can Totally Give Them 25 Bucks, If You Feel Like it

• 135 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

Just in case you've been lying awake at night, desperately anticipating the upcoming release of NHL 12 to the point where living without it has become a such a burden of living that you can barely stand it, or finding yourself looking to take out a high-interest loan for fear that the cost of Madden NFL 12's DLC would simply prove too much for your meager budget, fret no longer, for EA has come up with a subscription-based solution for you.

He's thinking about your money.

This is, of course, that nonsense we reported on back in April, where EA Sports decided that its suite of upcoming titles was so awesome, people would assuredly be lining up around the block to subscribe to a service where people can get discounts and free perks for all those sports games. Always known to make good on a threat, EA today announced that you can buy the EA Sports Season Ticket right this very second, if you're so inclined.

The pass covers Madden NFL 12, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12, NCAA Football 12, FIFA 12, and NHL 12, providing players with early download access to the titles ahead of retail stores (you'll still have to make a trip out to the store on launch day, if you don't want a solely digital copy), a 20% discount on all downloadable content, and special free "web perks," which are as yet unspecified, save for FIFA, which will be getting Creation Center packs, with additional assets to build custom teams and tournaments.

Terrifyingly enough, GameStop has been named "the exclusive retail marketing partner for the roll-out of EA Sports Season Ticket, with the company president quoted as saying, "GameStop is in a unique position to deliver this digital product utilizing its multichannel network. We will continue to work with progressive publishers to bring great gaming experiences to our customers." I have no idea what that means, but it's already freaking me out.

So now you know: If you've got $25 (or 2000 Microsoft Points) lying around, you can give it to EA Sports, and they'll give you some stuff...provided you like football, college football, hockey, golf, and soccer. If you like basketball or baseball, apparently you can just go to hell.

Wait, does EA even have a basketball game this year?

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

Just in case you've been lying awake at night, desperately anticipating the upcoming release of NHL 12 to the point where living without it has become a such a burden of living that you can barely stand it, or finding yourself looking to take out a high-interest loan for fear that the cost of Madden NFL 12's DLC would simply prove too much for your meager budget, fret no longer, for EA has come up with a subscription-based solution for you.

This is, of course, that nonsense we reported on back in April, where EA Sports decided that its suite of upcoming titles was so awesome, people would assuredly be lining up around the block to subscribe to a service where people can get discounts and free perks for all those sports games. Always known to make good on a threat, EA today announced that you can buy the EA Sports Season Ticket right this very second, if you're so inclined.

The pass covers Madden NFL 12, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12, NCAA Football 12, FIFA 12, and NHL 12, providing players with early download access to the titles ahead of retail stores (you'll still have to make a trip out to the store on launch day, if you don't want a solely digital copy), a 20% discount on all downloadable content, and special free "web perks," which are as yet unspecified, save for FIFA, which will be getting Creation Center packs, with additional assets to build custom teams and tournaments.

Terrifyingly enough, GameStop has been named "the exclusive retail marketing partner for the roll-out of EA Sports Season Ticket, with the company president quoted as saying, "GameStop is in a unique position to deliver this digital product utilizing its multichannel network. We will continue to work with progressive publishers to bring great gaming experiences to our customers." I have no idea what that means, but it's already freaking me out.

So now you know: If you've got $25 (or 2000 Microsoft Points) lying around, you can give it to EA Sports, and they'll give you some stuff...provided you like football, college football, hockey, golf, and soccer. If you like basketball or baseball, apparently you can just go to hell.

Wait, does EA even have a basketball game this year?

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By DrRandle

Stuff!

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By turboman

Alex Navarro earns his money purely based on the quality of headline titles.

SunnyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SunnyD

Does this include NBA Jam?

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This seems like hubris to the max. Why does a company that owns a MONOPOLY ON FOOTBALL GAMES think that people play their games because they love them so much? They don't really have a choice in the matter.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Vexxan

Sorry EA, just no.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

And people will still totally go for this.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RE_Player1

Things like Playstation Plus are a good deal, I've been a PS+ user since it came out and have gotten some great stuff for free and discounted, this however sounds terrible.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lockwoodx

If EA had a clue they would ship their fans themed snacks to go along with the game. Didn't anyone learn a thing from Happy Meals? McDonalds has done the groundwork and brainwashed entire generations to jump up at the site of a colorful box reeking of junk food and containing all sorts of random prizes.

I'd pay 50 bucks annually if they sent me a Turducken for madden season.

edit: have to agree with the others, that headline is priceless.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

This headline is amazing. Don't ever change, Alex.

crow_robot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crow_robot

So basically you pay $25 for DLC discounts and....access to games three days early that you still have to pay $60 for.

Who would buy this.

mrsmiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By mrsmiley

@TurboMan said:

this.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BlatantNinja23

Allow me to buy the digital versions after the 3 days and ill do this. If your gonna just pull them all so you sell people copies of the game that they will then later resell to gamestop and amazon then fine, have it your way.

BobJustBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BobJustBob

"you'll still have to make a trip out to the store on launch day, if you don't want a solely digital copy" 

It says the digital copy will time out on launch day. So all you're getting is three days (four days less download time) of a demo and then you have to go buy the disc.

Nokterian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nokterian

3 days ? I mean people can not wait for 3 days when the game comes out? And that for 25 bucks? I could buy more indie games for that money and have more fun with it....

Jetpaction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Jetpaction

I like Alex's writing style a lot. Sarcastic as hell, but at the same time very informative. Keep it up dude.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TorMasturba

EA seems to be receeding from being mildly liked back to it's former very-well-hated self.

Can't say I'm surprised really.

Ah well they previously still produced the odd good games here and there when they were hated, you just had to be smart about how you found out if their games were actually any good. Cue review sites saving people money!

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Cybexx

The "Early Access" stuff is so ridiculous. Basically they make it available 3 days before retail launch, you can download around 6 gigs of stuff to play it, then it locks on retail release day. So its kind of cool that you get to play it on the weekend before release but your going to spend a good chunk of that saturday downloading it, unless you have a great internet connection. I just don't think the whole MMO / Steam-Style early access thing works when you still have to go out and get a physical product.

sternone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sternone

My understanding is there is no "if you only want a digital copy." After 3 days, the digital version of the game becomes completely useless, and you MUST go to the store and get a physical copy in order to continue playing the game. If you had the option to simply keep the digital version, this would be a much better deal. Like, instead of being 1 star out of 5, it would be 1.5 stars out of 5.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#20  Edited By yevinorion

@Cybexx said:

The "Early Access" stuff is so ridiculous. Basically they make it available 3 days before retail launch, you can download around 6 gigs of stuff to play it, then it locks on retail release day. So its kind of cool that you get to play it on the weekend before release but your going to spend a good chunk of that saturday downloading it, unless you have a great internet connection. I just don't think the whole MMO / Steam-Style early access thing works when you still have to go out and get a physical product.

That's exactly my issue with it. Now if I could download it 3-days early and then just pay on PSN or Live for the retail code and just reactivate that digital copy, I'd have less of an issue. Of course their other retail partners wouldn't be too happy with that I'm sure.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Is that headline a Wimpy reference? From Popeye?

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By unsolvedparadox

@JFApollo said:

I like Alex's writing style a lot. Sarcastic as hell, but at the same time very informative. Keep it up dude.

Heh, that's the only comment I wanted to post too!

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GeekDown

I haven't bought a Madden game in years solely because it's 60 bucks and completely obsolete a year later. This just sounds stupid to me and they're not getting a fucking dime from me this year either.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Kyreo

@TurboMan said:

And he is certainly earning his keep.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sil3n7

Peter Moore,

You can have all my 25 dollar bills.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Winternet

@Sil3n7 said:

Peter Moore,

You can have all my 25 dollar bills.

This.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#27  Edited By KillyDarko

This is especially amusing and ridiculous seen that they'll just shut down the servers to all these games whenever the next ones come out.
    Thanks... but no thanks, EA!

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By 234r2we232

Remember guys, this same company (let's forget about labels for a moment) owns Battlefield. 

Better get drinking those Dr Peppers and saving for online passes now!

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@mrsmiley said:

@TurboMan said:

this.

Indeed. Also;

"If you like basketball or baseball, apparently you can just go to hell."

JimmyJackJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By JimmyJackJones

@mrsmileysaid:

@TurboMan said:

this.

Seconded. Anymore, I can almost always tell when it's an Alex article when the headline pops up on Twitter.

mrangryface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mrangryface

Awesome headline that would fit in @ The Onion :)

Sinful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sinful

if EA didn't shut down their online servers every 2 to 3 years then maybe...maybe ill cough off 25..wait nvm i hate EA games. peace.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By endaround

This can't be about EA, there was not a single mention of getting more information at ORIGIN.

Shadow71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#34  Edited By Shadow71

So you get the game 3 days early, then have to wait 3 days to be able to play online cause the only other people with the game will be people who have subscribed to this (ie: very small user base).

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Tennmuerti

@TorMasturba said:

EA seems to be receeding from being mildly liked back to it's former very-well-hated self.

NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By NickBOTT

Here's where we are supposed to say "fuck you EA, nice try!"  Sadly however, there are going to be some people who do go for this and as a result, EA will think that they're on to something good and will pull more shit like this.  So let's do everybody a favor and not give into their bullshit because maybe other companies will see this and say, "hey look here's a new way we can screw some more money out of these people."  I'm looking at you Capcom! 

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By InternetDotCom

Well I mean with all the money I'm saving the great Deal of the Week Gamertag change discount, I can't possibly afford not to get this too.

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DisposableUser

Alex is a genius but Tiger Woods has been out for four months now.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Surkov
    @JFApollo said:

Agreed. Patrick and Alex are doing an excellent job with news. 
    RXSideEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RXSideEffect

Just a dumb idea, but coming from EA...not surprising in the slightest. I haven't bought a sports game from these guys in almost a decade and my wallet is quite happy with that.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RE_Player1

Wait is SSX considered an EA Sports game? If they try to implement this shit into the new SSX I will cancel my pre-order so fast.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Donos

Title contains totally, is multiple lines long. It's an Alex joint.

Also lulz, sports games.

demarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By demarcon
    What? You mean Madden 12 right? Tiger Woods has been out for months.

@Alex said:

Just in case you've been lying awake at night, desperately anticipating the upcoming release of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 to the point where living without it has become a such a burden of living that you can barely stand it 

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By RobertOrri

I hope none of you are even considering to purchase this.

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheChaos

I'll give them 25$ worth of shit.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By chickdigger802

So besides 'cheat codes', are there any dlc worth purchasing in EA sports games?

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xbob42

Alex, this is great stuff.  Keep up this biting style of writing and I will give YOU my 25 bucks!  Well, it'll go to Whiskey Media, and it'll be $50/year, but you'll get paid because of it!

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By tourgen

time and again vidya game consumers have proven they are bad at personal finances, critical reasoning, and economics. I don't even hold it against EA. Get yours while you can EA. Good for you. While I won't be doing business with EA again it hardly matters when people line up just to give them cash for no good reason. BS pre-order scams and ridiculous DLC "content". Now this.

Grnd_Lb_Knt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Grnd_Lb_Knt

i still dont understand exactly wht this is. is this a yearly thing/ what kind of dlc is there for sports games/ can i play the game after three days or do i need to go to a store and buy it/ and what does gamestop have to do with all of this/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.