Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 05, 2011

Insect Armageddon is the fourth installment of D3's line of budget-priced shooters featuring online and local co-op modes, and a new Swarm survival mode.

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon Lands Next Spring

• 97 results
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega

Everyone gets excited when they hear the announcement of a sequel to a good game. How often do you see people getting excited for the sequel to a bad one? 

Today is one of those days. Japanese publisher D3 has announced that Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon, the sequel to the poorly controlled, ugly, shallow, and totally beloved third-person shooter Earth Defense Force 2017, is coming to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in the Spring of 2011. D3 has also announced that this latest installment in the franchise will not be handled by Sandlot, the studio originally responsible for the EDF games. Instead, Insect Armageddon is being developed by Vicious Cycle, the North Carolina developer that brought you Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard.   

These bugs are going to pay for messing up New Detroit.

== TEASER ==Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon will once again drop you into the role of the less-than-capable Earth Defense Force, a multinational task force that’s technically supposed to save the Earth from destruction by giant bugs. It’s hard to tell though, since the real specialty of the EDF seems to be laying waste to every bug, skyscraper and bus in a two-mile radius. But, as the last game taught us, if you blow up enough cities, you'll eventually get the bugs, which is good, because the giant ants are back, and the safety of the Earth can only be preserved by blowing up every city on the planet. In this case, you’ll join an EDF squad stationed in the United States, and work to rid the city of New Detroit from the alien insect menace.

New Goddamn Detroit.

In addition to a brand new campaign, Insect Armageddon is adding a slew of new features to the game, with a particular focus on co-op multiplayer. Players will be able to go through the entire campaign online with up to three other EDF soldiers, bringing with them new vehicles, new armor sets, and over 150 different weapons. And, if wave-based combat is more your speed, EDF will also include a new “Swarm” mode that teams six human players against a horde of giant insects, competing in increasingly tougher firefights in order to ensure the survival of New Detroit.

Make no mistake, though; Earth Defense Force 2017 doesn’t have a cult following because it was a good game. No, EDF is beloved because it is a profoundly stupid game, a bad Michael Bay movie in video game form. It was a game where your controller spent more time rumbling than not, where the screen was constantly filled with fire and explosions and acid and giant ants and robots and collapsing buildings and nonsense. It was a game dumber than it was broken, and that’s being generous. But it was dumb on a grand scale; It had more “dumb per pixel” (or DPP) than just about any other game on this generation of hardware. And it was cheap too; Earth Defense Force 2017 retailed in the US at $40. You could probably find a copy of 2017 nowadays for $15 at most retailers, if you want to get a sense of the particular flavor of EDF. It was the perfect game to love ironically, and only a handful of other releases have come since that vie for that title. 

This screen needs more bugs.

But that leads us to the important question; do you want a “good” sequel to Earth Defense Force 2017, or a true sequel? If EDF is a straight-laced Third Person Shooter, is that going to be able to draw in the same small group of fans as the previous entry? Or does the game need to be dumber, more chaotic, more ridiculous, uglier, and trashier than its predecessor? And can an American studio deliver that particular blend of stupidity and silliness that made the previous game a cult hit? You don’t have much time to decide if the sequel will provide the bug-killing fix you need; the insect invasion lands on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 next Spring.
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattbodega

Everyone gets excited when they hear the announcement of a sequel to a good game. How often do you see people getting excited for the sequel to a bad one? 

Today is one of those days. Japanese publisher D3 has announced that Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon, the sequel to the poorly controlled, ugly, shallow, and totally beloved third-person shooter Earth Defense Force 2017, is coming to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in the Spring of 2011. D3 has also announced that this latest installment in the franchise will not be handled by Sandlot, the studio originally responsible for the EDF games. Instead, Insect Armageddon is being developed by Vicious Cycle, the North Carolina developer that brought you Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard.   

== TEASER ==Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon will once again drop you into the role of the less-than-capable Earth Defense Force, a multinational task force that’s technically supposed to save the Earth from destruction by giant bugs. It’s hard to tell though, since the real specialty of the EDF seems to be laying waste to every bug, skyscraper and bus in a two-mile radius. But, as the last game taught us, if you blow up enough cities, you'll eventually get the bugs, which is good, because the giant ants are back, and the safety of the Earth can only be preserved by blowing up every city on the planet. In this case, you’ll join an EDF squad stationed in the United States, and work to rid the city of New Detroit from the alien insect menace.

New Goddamn Detroit.

In addition to a brand new campaign, Insect Armageddon is adding a slew of new features to the game, with a particular focus on co-op multiplayer. Players will be able to go through the entire campaign online with up to three other EDF soldiers, bringing with them new vehicles, new armor sets, and over 150 different weapons. And, if wave-based combat is more your speed, EDF will also include a new “Swarm” mode that teams six human players against a horde of giant insects, competing in increasingly tougher firefights in order to ensure the survival of New Detroit.

Make no mistake, though; Earth Defense Force 2017 doesn’t have a cult following because it was a good game. No, EDF is beloved because it is a profoundly stupid game, a bad Michael Bay movie in video game form. It was a game where your controller spent more time rumbling than not, where the screen was constantly filled with fire and explosions and acid and giant ants and robots and collapsing buildings and nonsense. It was a game dumber than it was broken, and that’s being generous. But it was dumb on a grand scale; It had more “dumb per pixel” (or DPP) than just about any other game on this generation of hardware. And it was cheap too; Earth Defense Force 2017 retailed in the US at $40. You could probably find a copy of 2017 nowadays for $15 at most retailers, if you want to get a sense of the particular flavor of EDF. It was the perfect game to love ironically, and only a handful of other releases have come since that vie for that title. 

But that leads us to the important question; do you want a “good” sequel to Earth Defense Force 2017, or a true sequel? If EDF is a straight-laced Third Person Shooter, is that going to be able to draw in the same small group of fans as the previous entry? Or does the game need to be dumber, more chaotic, more ridiculous, uglier, and trashier than its predecessor? And can an American studio deliver that particular blend of stupidity and silliness that made the previous game a cult hit? You don’t have much time to decide if the sequel will provide the bug-killing fix you need; the insect invasion lands on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 next Spring.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Dany

I remember watching vids ofhte first game at on the spot, seemed like a real crazy game but the graphics were not so great. Wonder how this one will do

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dvorak

FUCK YEAH! 

The first game on 360 was amazing. 

Edit: New developer? They already made even more sequels in japan, but they never came here.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By GunstarRed

The captains dead! 

EDF EDF EDF!.... thats all I really have to say to this.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

Rock on!

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By DukeTogo

Didn't you already get the stupid quest on another post?  If not, maybe posting a picture and not adding a constructive post is why.

EDF is a fun and stupid series, and it's great we're getting another one.  I hope eventually there will be another Robot Alchemic Drive after this if Sandlot is not working on it.  It was reported elsewhere that Sandlot was doing it so that's still in question.  Frankly, the series hasn't exactly evolved since the original, so if they hand off the franchise to another it's not exactly missing anything.  I mean what could happen, it's already a mind-numbing repetitive shooter with basic missions and wonky controls, it's not like it can be made worse.

Nytrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Nytrik

FUCK YES.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Sackmanjones

WOOOOO! Excited as hell

Twazuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Twazuk

Oh man I love me some EDF, there's a kind of charm to it that only comes with bad games.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond

Different devs... not good.

newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By newnab

Fuck. They've ruined it by changing to a shit developer. Fuck fuck fuck. So disappointed.

shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shadyspace

New dev, no deal. Epecially the Matt Hazard guys.

deathinstinct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deathinstinct

I was really excited until I saw the new developer.  EDF was an amazing grind to kill robots, ants, and spiders.   

EDF EDF EDF EDF EDF 

WhatTheDang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WhatTheDang

Please don't suck. 

Or rather, please don't suck in a non-fun way. 

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

This is gonna be awesome...hopefully.

AncientMecha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AncientMecha

You know, the "Original" EDF (not actually the original, but meh) may have been fucking retarded, but it really did some amazing things.  

Lobbing explosives off into the distance and watching four dozen ant corpses fly so high that they go through the skybox? AWESOME 

Some of the most enormous enemies I've ever had the pleasure of killing with man-portable rocket launchers? AWESOME 

Ridiculous weapons like shotguns that flung enemies over the horizon when hit point-blank, macross-style missile launchers, and the "Armageddon Gun"? AWESOME  

Some of the most fucking useless, worst camera'd, difficult to control vehicles ever? AWESOME

Put it all together with some of the best worst voice acting in the world, add one friend (and maybe some booze), and you've got a b-game that's honestly more fun than most games that try to bring some traditional quality to the table.  Mini-review: GO BUY EDF 2017 IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY. (If you have a co-op partner.)

If this new EDF doesn;t keep at least some of the jank that made EDF 2017 the great game that it was, I'm going to be a bit disappointed.

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By myslead
    @shadyspace said:
    " New dev, no deal. Epecially the Matt Hazard guys. "
    what he said
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Devil240Z

This is terrible news. Sandlot was a talented dev. Those other guys are just shit. Those fucks have big shoes to fill don't fuck up the sequel to my favorite shooter this gen. 

winmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By winmu

No Sandlot makes me sad inside.

moojuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By moojuice

*ahem*
    EDF EDF EDF

*walks away*

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Raymayne

DP is not a game to 'love ironically' Kessler...that is the attitude of a jackass

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ravenousrattler

will Robocop be in the game?

radioactivez0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By radioactivez0r

Kessler, you refer to it as "Insect Invasion" in both the 3rd and 4th paragraphs, somehow.  I never played the first one, but I've heard so much about how dumb playing the co-op is that I regret not getting it during one of Blockbuster's sales.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By yinstarrunner

Goddamn EDF is so much stupid fun.  Who cares if it controls badly, or if there's a lack of any polish at all.  It still has fun, you know, the thing that matters, in spades.  The feedback you get from laying waste to a giant horde of bugs in seconds and watching their bodies fly in every direction is unmatched by any other.  Definitely one of the funnest games I've played this gen.

FixtheFernBack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By FixtheFernBack

Yeah my feeling went from YESS!!, to reading that Sandlot are not developing it to NOOOOOOOOO!! 

I'll wait for reviews now :(  

Wondering now what Sandlot are up to or if they are even are still in business??

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By scarace360

CANT WAIT!

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By MisterMouse

the image for this looked like an infamous image for some reason..

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MistaSparkle

I don't know how many people played EDF 2017,but dude you gotta play that game!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By csl316
    @AncientMecha said:
    Some of the most fucking useless, worst camera'd, difficult to control vehicles ever? AWESOME

Can't beat that chopper!
    GaZZuM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GaZZuM
    @FixtheFernBack said:
    " Yeah my feeling went from YESS!!, to reading that Sandlot are not developing it to NOOOOOOOOO!!     I'll wait for reviews now :(    Wondering now what Sandlot are up to or if they are even are still in business?? "
    Me too, the title of this article made me SOOOO happy, and then I got slapped right in the pissing face.
    Absolute_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Absolute_Zero
    @AncientMecha: While I agree wholeheartedly, and it can be a fun game, be sure that your friend isn't insect-phobic (new word  © me). My brother nagged me into playing EDF, and I still have horrible flashbacks of giant spiders. :(
    gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gunstar

WE 'RE ON A THRILLING UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

This is incredible news.

AncientMecha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AncientMecha
    @csl316:  You know, the helicopter was actually the BEST in the whole game! I could pilot that motherfucker like a motherfucker! 

@gunstar:  DAMN BUGS DIGGIN' HOLES IN MY BACK YARD! 
    gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gabha

Was onboard till I saw a western developer, I fear that they'll try to make it 'good' or something stupid like that. Plus with a subtitle like Insect Armageddon ando those screen I fear that there won't be any giant robots.

ShakeItBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShakeItBaby

I'm a bit worried that this is going to suck.  And by suck I mean be really average; all the comments are about how great EDF was, and it certainly was, but not about how great these screens look, and that's because this looks generic and decidedly western.  The bugs are too alien and too complicated, the armor too designed, and the features too robust.  I bet the ground won't be covered with 2D pink and teal (and pudding cup) drops, and it might even be balanced for difficulty.  That's what was wrong with Matt Hazard too, in theory it had all the right ingredients, it had promise, but in the end it felt so hollow and generic in its execution that it wasn't fun to play; this is airplane food of videogames, the same thing might be good in a restaurant, but not like this.  I was delighted when they registered the teaser site, but this has a real "Bioshock 2" feel about it. 

Also, 

"I'M OUT OF AMMO!"                   -EDF soldier, in game with infinite ammo

kyou.san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kyou.san

Matt Hazard team?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Death_Burnout

At first i was like A NEW EDF!? FUUUUUCK YES! then i found out who was developing it and now i am....NOOOOOOOO!

Dont speak mad yang about EDF Kessler! even if it is the truth, dont.

Edit: just saw someone said practically the same thing...great minds.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By mikemcn

Are there spiders in this game?

because I fucking will kill some spiders, no joke, I will bathe in their green blood.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KnifeySpoony

FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Despite Vicious Cycle's track record, I'm willing to give them a benefit of a doubt on this one. Finally online co-op!

Also, "No, EDF is beloved because it is a profoundly stupid game, a bad Michael Bay movie in video game form."

Don't you dare compare EDF to Michael Bay.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By coaxmetal

They killed the captain!

ShoddyGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShoddyGo

I FUCKING LOVE EDF
    THANK GOD

Ricerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ricerx

What happened Matt Kessler? You used to be cool man.

Avatar image for goulash_enjoyer
    goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

Eat shit, Kessler! EDF was a fucking great game.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Solh0und

Bring back the Genocide Gun and we have a deal

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Milkman

And you thought old Detroit was scary.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Matt Hazard devs? Color me skeptical.

TackleMeElmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TackleMeElmo

God how I love EDF! I used to work at a local GameShop and a good friend of mine use to come in and hangout. Well, 9 times out of 10, he wanted to play EDF. I kid you not...EVERY time he played that game, someone came in and saw it...then immediately bought it. I never saw that game come back for a trade in, not once. That speaks volumes for the amount of ridiculous fun this game brought. 

Yeahhh....I'm gonna have to play it now. EDF 4 Life!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.