Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 05, 2011

Insect Armageddon is the fourth installment of D3's line of budget-priced shooters featuring online and local co-op modes, and a new Swarm survival mode.

Hows Insect Armageddon is it any good?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

I know some people got this game early, and I was wondering if you could give your thoughts about the game. I love EDF 2017 on the 360 I was wonder if insect Armageddon is any better.

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

I don't know how it is but I heard it was a little...Buggy !
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By UnrealDP

@DEMONOLOGY_24:

You have no idea how close i was to posting this exact phrase, but you beat me by less then a minute you dirty pun stealer.

zonikjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By zonikjj

This is definitely a better game. It is still pretty ghetto as fack, but that's kind of the point I think. I'm  playing through the campaign on hard with a couple friends of mine, and it's a blast! I'm not sure how entertaining it can stay if you're flying solo though. I like the fact that there are different armors/classes, so between my friends and I, we all play a little differently with completely different loadouts and perks. I ended up going with the Jet class, and it feels a bit like Vanquished x EDF: 2017.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @DEMONOLOGY_24 said:
    /thread
    falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By falserelic
    @zonikjj said:
    This is definitely a better game. It is still pretty ghetto as fack, but that's kind of the point I think. I'm  playing through the campaign on hard with a couple friends of mine, and it's a blast! I'm not sure how entertaining it can stay if you're flying solo though. I like the fact that there are different armors/classes, so between my friends and I, we all play a little differently with completely different loadouts and perks. I ended up going with the Jet class, and it feels a bit like Vanquished x EDF: 2017.
    Thanks for the info, that's good to hear.
    Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@UnrealDP: You pig.
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Devil240Z

I will find out tomorrow when my copy arrives from amazon. I don't see how it can be better than EDF: 2017, that game is a masterpiece.

I just wonder when EDF 4 is coming out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0ba2a8ccd24
    deactivated-5b0ba2a8ccd24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DEMONOLOGY_24 said:
    lol'd hard 
    Can't wait to get this game, still havent played EDF 2017 though...
    SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SomeDeliCook

If you liked collecting all the fallen armor/weapon drops from 2017, this will disappoint you. You only get health upgrades by leveling up, and you uncover weapons with different ranks (called tiers) and then use points you earn in game to unlock them. Sometimes there will be one or two weapon drops, but chances are its for a higher rank and different class than the one you are/use. I can't decide if I like unlocking weapons like this more or hoarding all the weapon drops for completely random weapons.

You can also revive teammates, which gets rid of some of the challenge factor, but then again, it also gets rid of getting overly frustrated when you farmed a level for a while only to die near the end and lose it all.

The game adds a sprint button, and man is it so much better than mashing the trigger button to dodge as a means to get somewhere quick. Theres still a dodge button, but sprint is so much more useful, especially when you level up and sprint gets faster. Oh, and sprint is infinite.

Also, three player coop is really nice. Even if you play alone, theres still 2 other 'super' edf soldiers with you.

One bad thing though is enemies just evaporate when you kill them. In 2017, bodies would go flying with some of the funniest physics ever, but in this one, they just evaporate too quick. Theres weapons that still send bodies flying, but its not as satisfying as 2017.

The game is also a bit more cinematic. Slight spoiler ahead. In the first level, you already encounter one of the tall robots (called Hectors for some reason) but they are much more cinematic to fight now. The way they animate and behave is much better than 2017, though they don't twist and turn their bodies when they're shot. =(

Overall, I'd say if you liked the first one, you'll like this one, it plays very similar but just be ready to sacrifice some good features for different good features. Oh, and don't play for more than an hour or two at a time, you'll burn out quick, just like 2017.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

It's differs a bit from 2017 but it's stil amazingly fun.

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By StingerMK2

this is all good to hear, im not even joking when i say this is probably my most anticipated game at the minute, out in the UK on friday, can't wait!

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By falserelic

Well I'm probably going to check this game out tomorrow. I hope they have a copy in stock at my local gamestore. Once I get the game I'll share my thoughts about it.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Devil240Z

I have been playing for a couple hours. I like the way the online works, you can just jump in mid game with other dudes and kill shit. Pretty much exactly what I wanted to do.

The unlock system is totally different from EDF 2017. There are also no armor pickups. Its all done by gaining EXP and leveling up. There are four classes with different abilities and weapons.

The variety of weapons seems good but they are divided amongst the classes so you have to play all the classes to see the different weapons. Unlike 2017 where you just equipped two guns and went off.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Cwaff

@DEMONOLOGY_24 said:

Maybe it's just cause I'm tired but I didn't get the joke immediately... I was thinking "Oh that's a sha-... wait..."

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By DukeTogo
    @SomeDeliCook said:

The game is also a bit more cinematic. Slight spoiler ahead. In the first level, you already encounter one of the tall robots (called Hectors for some reason) but they are much more cinematic to fight now. The way they animate and behave is much better than 2017, though they don't twist and turn their bodies when they're shot. =(

This is what I was looking for.  Until I read that the game looked like it was only bugs, and since it's called Insect Armageddon it only fuels that idea.  I'll pick it up when it gets cheaper, the fact that Sandlot didn't develop it means they don't get my money anyway, so used is fine.
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Devil240Z

@DukeTogo: You know the game is only $39 new. So its already budget priced.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By falserelic

Well I got this game, so far its fun. But its not as fun as 2017. 

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I don't like it one bit. 

Gentleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gentleman

I am very satisfied with the game. The classes play very differently, and choosing which class to main felt like a meaningful decision. I've tried it solo, online and in couch coop, and I can say I definitely liked better playing in multiplayer, but the matchmaking is quite buggy, so I suggest having a gamer girlfriend =P 

I've had a lot of fun, but the thing is, the campaign is really too short. Luckily, they've added some content by offering a "remixed" version of every level, with different monsters to make it more challenging, and the three difficulty levels mean that there are in fact 6 versions to any of the 15 levels. Nonetheless, I wasn't exactly satisfied by the campaign's length and didn't have an impression of accomplishment when I reached the end. I hope the DLC, if any is released, will not be too pricy as I'd certainly like more content and in this case, more levels.  

I also want to add that the game had a good sense of humor. It didn't make me laugh out loud that often, but it kept the overall game feel lighthearted, as it should be. 

So in the end, my recommendation is that you should get it if you like mindless shooters once in a while, and especially if you liked 2017, but don't have ridiculous expectations. It was never meant to be a classic. It's unique and quirky, and to me, that's all that mattered.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.