Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EarthBound

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 27, 1994

A 1994 role-playing game starring a young boy named Ness on his quest to save the world. The game and its quirky humor have garnered a dedicated cult following among RPG fans.

Blogging Earthbound: A Recaptured Memory #2

Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Genjai

No Caption Provided
    As a 12 year old, I didn't make the connection of numbered towns until I made it to Twoson. It's a funny little thing to go from Onett to Twoson to Threed and so on. I was also originally blown away that a psychic girl was communicating with me in my dreams whenever I slept at the hotel or my house. I felt genuine urgency to come and help this girl. So, I grabbed a free bike rental from the shop, wandered through the shops in Burglin park and marveled at the opportunity to shop through three levels of the Dept. store. This time through, I was all business. Head to Apple Kid, order a small Mach Pizza and head to Peaceful Rest Valley. Man, those stupid Lil' UFO's are killer! I feel like I can never hit them, and then I get hit with a beam that gives me a Cold. It is clever to have a minor poison be called a cold, and I lost 4 HP do to sneezing every turn. Then I got blasted with those Territorial Oaks that  burst into flames when they die doing well over 2x damage than my max HP, every time I hammered on the A button to exit the battle and try to save as much HP possible. 

No Caption Provided
    Blue Blue. Blue, Blue. Blue? I stepped into Happy Valley that had been turned Blue... literally. The irony is that I didn't get that until this playthrough when one of the NPC's in Twoson directly pointed it out. Hilarious. I loved seeing the blue cultists attack me with blue paintbrushes and yelling blue things. Blue Cow, FTW. Oh, and then fighting Mr. Carpainter (Car-Painter? *sigh*), you have to use the Franklin badge to deflect his lightning. Seriously, the localizers had a field day with this one. So, I freed Paula from her prison, level her awesome PSI powers, Paralyze the Mondo Mole and snag the 2nd "My Sanctuary" at the Lilliput steps. Blue town is Happy again.    
    Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Genjai

No Caption Provided
    As a 12 year old, I didn't make the connection of numbered towns until I made it to Twoson. It's a funny little thing to go from Onett to Twoson to Threed and so on. I was also originally blown away that a psychic girl was communicating with me in my dreams whenever I slept at the hotel or my house. I felt genuine urgency to come and help this girl. So, I grabbed a free bike rental from the shop, wandered through the shops in Burglin park and marveled at the opportunity to shop through three levels of the Dept. store. This time through, I was all business. Head to Apple Kid, order a small Mach Pizza and head to Peaceful Rest Valley. Man, those stupid Lil' UFO's are killer! I feel like I can never hit them, and then I get hit with a beam that gives me a Cold. It is clever to have a minor poison be called a cold, and I lost 4 HP do to sneezing every turn. Then I got blasted with those Territorial Oaks that  burst into flames when they die doing well over 2x damage than my max HP, every time I hammered on the A button to exit the battle and try to save as much HP possible. 

No Caption Provided
    Blue Blue. Blue, Blue. Blue? I stepped into Happy Valley that had been turned Blue... literally. The irony is that I didn't get that until this playthrough when one of the NPC's in Twoson directly pointed it out. Hilarious. I loved seeing the blue cultists attack me with blue paintbrushes and yelling blue things. Blue Cow, FTW. Oh, and then fighting Mr. Carpainter (Car-Painter? *sigh*), you have to use the Franklin badge to deflect his lightning. Seriously, the localizers had a field day with this one. So, I freed Paula from her prison, level her awesome PSI powers, Paralyze the Mondo Mole and snag the 2nd "My Sanctuary" at the Lilliput steps. Blue town is Happy again.    
    sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sparklykiss

Fuck. 
    Those. 
    Trees. 

Fuck them. I used to not get it as a kid. Now that I'm older, I understand that button mashing is the only way to live.

Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Genjai
    @Sparklykiss: yeah, trees - not cool. not cool at all.
    sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sparklykiss
    @Genjai: I couldn't tell them apart from background trees for the longest time. I had to be so careful and have Skip Sandwiches. Only way.
    Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Genjai
    @Sparklykiss: Man, that would stink. Skip sandwiches always seamed to be a waste to me. I focused more on the HP regeneration, and the skip sandwiches would just take up space in the inventory. I'm thinking about investigating Lucky Sandwiches, which seemed too expensive to use my first time through.
    sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sparklykiss
    @Genjai: I always bought them out of novelty at first. But when I couldn't ride my bike, you'd be surprised how helpful a Skip Sandwich could be. Some of those enemies move REALLY EFFING FAST. I used to buy Lucky Sandwiches, too, the only thing I ever noticed was that I seemed to survive a few more of those critical hits, I hear dem young'ns always talkin' about. But once you get to Moonside? If you fought enough? You should have a boat load of cash, so no worries.
    Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Genjai
    @Sparklykiss: cool, cool. I'm an RPG hoarder by nature - you should see my Fallout 3 inventory and lockers; it's kinda ridiculous how much trash I still have around.  I've got a ton of $ in my bank, so I should buy more sandwiches. I've been buying more pizzas this time, though. Currently eating - Peanut Cheese Bars :^)
    sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sparklykiss
    @Genjai: I am the same way. Sucks in MMOs when I hoard, I have to eventually get rid of stuff. Really annoying. D: I remember always being a bit grossed out over those things. *Shudder* Who would even do that? They have even nastier sounding stuff later on, adds to the charm, I guess. :D
    Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Genjai
    @Sparklykiss: Precisely! ...then, I began to think about the possibility that a peanut cheese bar could taste awesome! Well hey, if it could restore 100 HP for $22 that's a great deal!
    donkeyscrotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By donkeyscrotes

Why won't those asshole Territorial Oaks stop fucking me in the ass! Also im guessing there is no inventory upgrade later on in the game? Nice blog by the way! (I realise this is woefully late)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.