Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EarthBound

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 27, 1994

A 1994 role-playing game starring a young boy named Ness on his quest to save the world. The game and its quirky humor have garnered a dedicated cult following among RPG fans.

Blogging Earthbound: A Recaptured Memory #5

Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Genjai

No Caption Provided
    I come out of the creepy subterranean tunnel to a peaceful meadow with a lake and a waterfall. After dispatching an armored frog and some red ants, I head through another passage to Saturn Valley. Again, I’m blown away by the genius-ness of the whole thing. All the text for the Mr. Saturns changes to a crazy script and speak in a goofy but happy style. When you add in the random palm trees, telephones on top of ladders and peanut cheese bars, you end up with the perfect mix of strange and cute.

The next stroke of genius is gaining access to Master Belch’s secret lair. Headed back behind the waterfall, I’m prompted to give a password. The correct action is to stay perfectly still for three minutes – set the controller down, walk away, do nothing for three minutes of real time. Crazy! I remember encountering this for the first time when I was about 12, and, though I had a FAQ, I still had difficulty doing this. After several attempts and figuring out where the prompt was and when to stand still, I got it. This time still made me smile.

No Caption Provided

I breezed through Master Belch’s factory, was appalled at the enslavement of the Mr. Saturns, made short work of his slime piles and went to face him.  It always made me chuckle to fight a boss which was literally a pile of puke that made burping sounds as it talked. He’s a pretty tough boss unless you toss him a Jar of Fly Honey. He chomped down on it for several turns as I blasted him into a pile of… uhh, anyways. Exiting the factory, I sit down for a trippy cup of coffee and say goodbye to the grateful Mr. Saturns, only to plunge my head into a mushroom-infested cave…

Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Genjai

No Caption Provided
    I come out of the creepy subterranean tunnel to a peaceful meadow with a lake and a waterfall. After dispatching an armored frog and some red ants, I head through another passage to Saturn Valley. Again, I’m blown away by the genius-ness of the whole thing. All the text for the Mr. Saturns changes to a crazy script and speak in a goofy but happy style. When you add in the random palm trees, telephones on top of ladders and peanut cheese bars, you end up with the perfect mix of strange and cute.

The next stroke of genius is gaining access to Master Belch’s secret lair. Headed back behind the waterfall, I’m prompted to give a password. The correct action is to stay perfectly still for three minutes – set the controller down, walk away, do nothing for three minutes of real time. Crazy! I remember encountering this for the first time when I was about 12, and, though I had a FAQ, I still had difficulty doing this. After several attempts and figuring out where the prompt was and when to stand still, I got it. This time still made me smile.

No Caption Provided

I breezed through Master Belch’s factory, was appalled at the enslavement of the Mr. Saturns, made short work of his slime piles and went to face him.  It always made me chuckle to fight a boss which was literally a pile of puke that made burping sounds as it talked. He’s a pretty tough boss unless you toss him a Jar of Fly Honey. He chomped down on it for several turns as I blasted him into a pile of… uhh, anyways. Exiting the factory, I sit down for a trippy cup of coffee and say goodbye to the grateful Mr. Saturns, only to plunge my head into a mushroom-infested cave…

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sparklykiss

Mr. Saturn font needs to be a default on all computers. They're so cute! And that password to Belch's lair? Still SO GENIUS. If games were to do that today, most kids would have a fit. 

The way you're blogging about some of this just sounds like some kind of hippie adventure into a magical dreamland. And I am A-OK with that! =)

Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Genjai
    @Sparklykiss: Exactly! Hippie adventures in dreamland was what I was going for. Somehow, I've ended up drifting between 1st person adventure and commentary on the game. ...I kinda like it!
    Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Brians

I really liked earthbound when I played through it a couple of years ago. Still has the best ending boss fight I can think of.

Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Genjai
    @Briguile: I very amazed at how well it holds up all around. As far as the ending boss goes, I've never been that far yet, so I'm looking forward to seeing it for the first time! :^)
    sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sparklykiss
    @Genjai: Haha, same. Consistency is pretty boring, anyways. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.