Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Electronic Arts

Company »

EA is one of the largest publisher/developers in the video game industry.

EA Access launched on Origin

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hassun

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/origin-access

It looks like EA has brought its subscription system to PC (in select regions). It seems like they are calling it Origin Access.
    At the moment there doesn't seem to be a yearly subscription option. This makes Origin Access potentially more expensive than the Xone version.

Personally, I am not a fan at all of subscription-based gaming and very wary of the concept in general. I also think it's rather interesting that they are launching it without much fanfare.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I'm not a huge fan of the subscription stuff either, however, I did initially seek this out on PC when Battlefront came out. I knew that was a game that wouldn't stick around too long for me, but I wanted to play it longer than a single rental from Redbox. That interest has passed, but the only thing that would have stopped me paying for a single month would be a required minimum amount of months. Not sure if that's a thing, that link appears to be broken or getting too much traffic?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hassun

@nickhead: Works for me, try again maybe? Availability also depends on your region. I went to the US version of the store and I can get to the store page.

The pricing seems to be 4.99 USD / 3.99 EUR / 3.99 GBP per month.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I paid $5 to get 10 hours of Battlefront, which is probably how much I would've played if I had bought the full game. Worth it!

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

@nickhead: Works for me, try again maybe? Availability also depends on your region. I went to the US version of the store and I can get to the store page.

The pricing seems to be 4.99 USD / 3.99 EUR / 3.99 GBP per month.

Funny if there's a € price since it isn't available in any European regions yet.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: not a fan of ps plus? I think with how many games they offer it's worth it to have to redo every year and the slight risk some or all may not be available in the future (which is more of a digital goods issue) . Maybe these services should start having options to buy the games in your library at (hopefully significantly) reduced prices so you own them no matter what, but I guess that's a whole other can of worms.

This might be alright too based on the selection. I wonder how Jason feels about origin access :D

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hassun

@vierastalo: I managed to get the pricing by going to the US site and trying to buy it. This took me to the payment/credit card page and the pricing on it was €3.99.

@ripelivejam: Definitely not. Although that's mostly because it charges for online play. Still really disappointed everyone accepted the subscription system for online gaming with the 360. (Temporarily) getting video games as a consolation prize does not solve that problem.

Ibarguengoytia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ibarguengoytia

Wait, so this only gets you access to 15 games? Says that you get access to all vault games and when you click the link you only get 15 games. Almost half of which are composed of two franchises, Dragon Age and Dead Space.

That catalog isn't big enough to sustain nor attract a lot of subscriptions.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Xbox one's a pretty fantastic deal. This one not so much.

YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On X1 there is a $30 a year option. Thats what I use and I love the service. Wonder why thats not an option on PC.

Ibarguengoytia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: I can only assume as much too. But it is a weak library for launching the service. Specially since there are 551 on their entire PC library.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@ibarguengoytia: yeah things are constantly added to the vault

for what it is, i think ea access is alright. i don't really understand the big uproar over it, especially now that the selection has grown a bit.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Nadril

$5 to play bf4 and the new Dragon age seems aight to me.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

EA Access is amazing value on Xbox One, so many games I have played for that small fee.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@hassun: oh i don't mean now, i more meant the initial uproar. people were not happy about it, and then there was the whole Sony not wanting to be involved because they didn't think it was good value thing. sorry, i should have been more clear.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hassun

@tajasaurus: I assume Sony wasn't a fan because of how it conflicted with PS+. There is always the struggle for dominance between the platform owner and the big publishers.

We live in an (unfortunate) world where publishers are pushing evermore into the direction of games as a service (if we haven't fully arrived there already) and it seems like every publisher with some clout is trying to set up its own service/store/DRM vehicle they can to "cut out the middle man" as it were. On PC you now have Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG Galaxy (which is a special case), etc. and now EA has taken the first steps in putting their video game subscription model on PC as well.

Who knows, maybe the majority of people actually likes consuming content this way. It certainly seems to be working for Netflix. All I know is that I don't like it at all.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the one hand I agree it's a pretty limited number of titles. On the other hand as a Dragon Age and Dead Space fan that's an incredible price if you have the time and inclination to deep dive into those titles. If they threw in Mass Effect I'd definitely consider trying it out.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I wonder if people will consider the games they're offering to be 'free', like they do with other subscription services...

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

15 games isn't all that impressive, even if one of them is the best Dead Space game; it's called Dead Space 3. Still, it's decently cheap.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

The Xbox one's a pretty fantastic deal. This one not so much.

Yeah, shame the PC version doesn't quite match what you're paying/getting on the Xbone. If they can match it though, I think the XBox version is awesome. Between the 10 hours on new stuff and the free games, I get more than my money's worth at the ~$30 a year I'm paying.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By BoOzak

I got most of the games from their vault in the "humble origin bundle" they must not have sold very well on PC.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Maluvin

@rorie said:

15 games isn't all that impressive, even if one of them is the best Dead Space game; it's called Dead Space 3. Still, it's decently cheap.

I feel really bad for Dead Space 3 because I just don't think it gets quite the appreciation it deserves. I played through it co-op with my brother-in-law when it came out and had a great time. Great weapon upgrade system that was actually kind of a predecessor to what Bethesda ending up doing in FO4. Lost some of the tension of Dead Space 1 and 2 and an unnecessary but annoying microtransaction aspect built in but still a good game IMO.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kanerobot: What they ought to do is just combine them, so your $5 gets you both platforms.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On X1 there is a $30 a year option. Thats what I use and I love the service. Wonder why thats not an option on PC.

Probably need to charge more since i bet more people own Xbones than people who actively buy/play games on origin.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.