Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Electronic Arts

Company »

EA is one of the largest publisher/developers in the video game industry.

"Here at EA, we do things differently."

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

No fancy stages, no celebrities.

And then, they use the fuckin' Inception music (or maybe a rip off of it?), to do a super dramatic reveal of 3 NFL stars, who make some dramatic 3 way speech. Oh, and I think Madden was in the trailer playing behind them, quoting a presidential speech, but I wasn't listening or really paying attention because the hell with football.

Nice going EA....

So I'm curious, what was everyone's "OH FUCK YOU" moment/moments at the conferences? Everyone seems most interested in the "magical" moments, like finding out that not only will the NGP be REASONABLY priced, but actually competitively priced. But I want to know what pissed you off, bummed you out, or just made you laugh at how unintentionally silly something is.

Another one for me was the announcement of the Wii U name. Me and the guys were on skype watching together, and when they (slowly...) made their way towards the name, and you could tell that's what they were working towards, I said "Yeah, they'll call it the you!" in a very joking manner, of course. Then, Reg started using "you". My response at first was... "Wait... what? No... Noooo...." , but he didn't stop. He got more into it. Me and the guys joined together in a "No, Reggie, DON'T DO IT! NO!" As he marched on. And then, finally, he revealed the truth. The next Home Console from Nintendo would be called... The Wii U...

Oh, and apparently there was a Prop 8 joke?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By N7

That jackass at Ubisoft. What the hell was his deal?

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheFreeMan

The Charlie Sheen joke at the Ubisoft conference. Oy vey.

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By PieGuy

That was hilariously bad.
    Ubisoft jackass was the worst though, what was he doing!

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Crash_Happy

@N7: Mr Caffeine? It's not his fault no one ever told him it was his nick name for bad reasons.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By jorbear
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I actually really liked the fact that the 3D TV's can show to two player in the same room two diffrent screens. If you know a little about the technology you realize this is very simple but my mind was blown a little bit by never thinking about it.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@N7: haha, I love Ubisoft press conferences! They are always hilariously awful, despite having probably the strongest line up.

RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By RTSlord
    @jorbear said:
    whoever made that is such an asshole, but i love it for some sick reason
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@RTSlord: I love it. I could take a nice bubble bath to this.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jorbear said:
    Must... kill... Obama...
    Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Crixaliz
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

I actually really liked the fact that the 3D TV's can show to two player in the same room two diffrent screens. If you know a little about the technology you realize this is very simple but my mind was blown a little bit by never thinking about it.

Is anyone planning to actually do this?
    I remember some dev mentioned it a while back it sounded like the reality was years away.
    The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Nubster
    @Crixaliz said:
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

Is anyone planning to actually do this? I remember some dev mentioned it a while back it sounded like the reality was years away.
    Yeah, Sony has an official PlayStation-branded 3D TV (along with Resistance 3, a 6-foot HDMI cable and a pair of 3D glasses) that allows this. Only $499 too, not bad at all.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Crixaliz said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Is anyone planning to actually do this? I remember some dev mentioned it a while back it sounded like the reality was years away.

It has some flaws like lower resolution and it halves the frame rate so if you want each player to have a video in 30 fps the game needs to be able to render at 60 fps (each player gets half of the frames). But think about playing Portal 2 co-op in the same room.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Me and the guys...

This was my 'OH FUCK YOU' moment.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Mr. Caffeine is probably one of the worst things I have ever seen in an E3 conference.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#17  Edited By citizenkane

Captain Caffeine by far.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Crixaliz
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

@Crixaliz said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

It has some flaws like lower resolution and it halves the frame rate so if you want each player to have a video in 30 fps the game needs to be able to render at 60 fps (each player gets half of the frames). But think about playing Portal 2 co-op in the same room.

That sounds awesome! I can totally deal with having half the frame-rate if i get twice the screen.
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dylabaloo

@The_Nubstersaid:

@Crixaliz said:
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

Yeah, Sony has an official PlayStation-branded 3D TV (along with Resistance 3, a 6-foot HDMI cable and a pair of 3D glasses) that allows this. Only $499 too, not bad at all.

Too bad it only comes with one pair of glasses, 3D glasses ain't cheap its gonna add another 100-150 to the price tag; if you want to take use of the split-screen.

Jaize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jaize

@Mr_Skeleton: They're employing this in cars now, enabling sat nav and other functions for different viewers of the screen. I was waiting for it to transfer to the gaming industry.

Being one of those people who can't see 3D... this all really sucks.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShaneDev
    I thought it was funny that everyone who appeared on the Sony stage was panting heavily. I know those guys probably aren't used to doing demos in front of a few thousand people directly and millions on TV and internet but the way almost all of them were doing it it was like they ran to the show. Great job Jeremy was pretty funny too. The total confusion over what exactly Nintendo was reveling was funny and weird. They never actually showed the new hardware throughout the whole thing. And the cringe worthy stuff was the EA Sims game for facebook and every single Kinect game MS had but especially the Star Wars kinect which just looked so bad. That ME3 Kinect integration looked really pointless and goofy. As bad as Mr Caffeine  was he at least went form game to game quickly albeit really badly.
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Jimbo: lol ok?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jimbo

@MordeaniisChaos: ;)

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Marz
    @jorbear said:

oh man i thought there would be like some beat that was gonna be playing after a few times... but it's just 10 fucking minutes of nauseating doodling.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Mr. Caffeine was simply disgusting to watch

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Azteck

The whole Nintendo conference, really.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#27  Edited By EvilTwin

The guy in the background was supposed to be a Vince Lombardi lookalike actually.  Other than that I completely agree.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By plop1920

I didn't think Mr. Caffeine was too bad. I mean none of his jokes were funny, but it was much better than having to watch some awkward nervous nerd up there

Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#29  Edited By Synaptic

I'm depressed that I missed Mr. Caffeine...

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Yeah they do things differently, put installation limits on every pc game they make.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Nubster
    @Dylabaloo said:

@The_Nubstersaid:

@Crixaliz said:
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

Too bad it only comes with one pair of glasses, 3D glasses ain't cheap its gonna add another 100-150 to the price tag; if you want to take use of the split-screen.

Of course. My girlfriend enjoys watching me play games and I don't want to have to drop another huge chunk of money just so she can sit over my shoulder and watch. I won't be picking one up, but even with having to purchase an extra pair of glasses, it's still a fairly good deal. 

Did they say something about each pair of PS-branded glasses costing only $70 or am I making that up myself?
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dylabaloo

@The_Nubster: Its good that there trying to make strides towards getting people into 3D which Sony have clearly put a lot money into, but it still has ways to go; I still know people who don't have HD tv's! (Plus all this 3D fatigue in cinemas) I didn't see anything about the Sony 3D goggles but it sure would make sense.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Barrock

What exactly happened at the Ubi conference?

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By jorbear

@Synaptic said:

I'm depressed that I missed Mr. Caffeine...

I'm depressed that I saw Mr. Caffeine.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By yukoasho

I was rather annoyed at the "you're welcome" barb by Jack Tretton during the apology over the PSN outage, which otherwise seemed heartfelt.  C'mon, Jack, we know media types are bottom-feeders who thrive on negativity, no need to give them even more of it.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@YukoAsho said:

I was rather annoyed at the "you're welcome" barb by Jack Tretton during the apology over the PSN outage, which otherwise seemed heartfelt. C'mon, Jack, we know media types are bottom-feeders who thrive on negativity, no need to give them even more of it.

I thought it was perfect. There needed to be a breaking of the ice. It was, as he said, an elephant in the room. And beyond that, there wasn't humor involved. I think without that, things would have been a bit more awkward and it would have felt like they were dwelling. Sony needs to put forward an optimistic, confident appearance. That I think gave it just enough of that to show they weren't just sorry, but convinced it wouldn't hold them back.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By yukoasho
    @MordeaniisChaos said:

@YukoAsho said:

I was rather annoyed at the "you're welcome" barb by Jack Tretton during the apology over the PSN outage, which otherwise seemed heartfelt. C'mon, Jack, we know media types are bottom-feeders who thrive on negativity, no need to give them even more of it.

I thought it was perfect. There needed to be a breaking of the ice. It was, as he said, an elephant in the room. And beyond that, there wasn't humor involved. I think without that, things would have been a bit more awkward and it would have felt like they were dwelling. Sony needs to put forward an optimistic, confident appearance. That I think gave it just enough of that to show they weren't just sorry, but convinced it wouldn't hold them back.

That's actually a very good point, and well made.  Hadn't thought about it that way.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AuthenticM

Man... I regret not watching the Ubisoft briefing now.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#39  Edited By Hailinel

@jorbear said:

It was only a matter of time.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Dylabaloo said:

@The_Nubstersaid:

@Crixaliz said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

um, did you watch that entire presentation, they made new really cheap glasses for the tv too... well in comparison. they're like $60 a pair. not bad. 
    Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Klaimore

@jorbearsaid:

I love my job I love my job I love my job...FUN!

madmax0412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By madmax0412

Mr. Caffeine came off as a total d-bag. Who knows? He could be the nicest guy when he's not telling 'jokes' (the dick jokes and the crack about Charlie Sheen was groan-inducing) at gaming conventions and Mr. Caffeine is his alter-ego. I found myself getting annoyed even by his square shaped "I prefer drinking lattes" eyeglasses. And the doodly-doo segue to video? The worst. It seems like gaming companies have taken queues from rap and it's now a requirement for every publisher to have hypemen to not only pitch the game but simultaneously annoy the shit out of you. Mr. Caffeine is a poor man's Cliffy B.  

And to get back to one of the OP's main points -- did you also notice how after the EA dude stated they're not like other company's that trot out random celebs that shortly thereafter they then  proceeded to trot out random celebs like Lil Weezy and Drizzy Drake for the Fifa promo?

madmax0412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By madmax0412

Yeeeeessssssssss! The Kinect actors are so awkward. I could barely watch those two dudes play the Kinect sports football game. We get it. The Kinect is very family and friend oriented. Seems like every one of these staged things is just way too strange. Real people don't act like this -- or do they? I have one that's gathering dust but I remain hopeful that after a year or so on the market we'll see some decent games. And there's a high probability that I'll check out a couple of these games. But my forking over a few bucks to buy these games has nothing to do with these demos. They are total cheese. 

Is it strange to anyone else that a lot of these companies have presenters mangling the english language? It's admirable and all that they're multilingual AND have the stones to deliver these presentations in front of huge audiences- heck I speak only one language. From the Ubisoft folks to the folks from Nintendo -- I dunno. This is totally un-pc but I'd think you'd want someone who speaks english reasonably well (and isn't a clown like Mr. Caffeine) to do the presentation. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Brendan

I like football. I do not like Mr. Caffeine.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By yukoasho

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jadeskye

@YukoAsho said:

Thats the scariest thing i've ever seen.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Jaize said:

@Mr_Skeleton: They're employing this in cars now, enabling sat nav and other functions for different viewers of the screen. I was waiting for it to transfer to the gaming industry.

Actually when you split the screen in that way it can't be in 3D. The way this 3D technology works is that the right lense get one image and the left lense gets a different image just like real eyes. What they did here they just put two right lenses in one pair of glasses and two left lenses in the second pair so each person gets a 2D image but a different one. So you might not have a problem with this.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By yukoasho
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

@Jaize said:

Actually when you split the screen in that way it can't be in 3D. The way this 3D technology works is that the right lense get one image and the left lense gets a different image just like real eyes. What they did here they just put two right lenses in one pair of glasses and two left lenses in the second pair so each person gets a 2D image but a different one. So you might not have a problem with this.

It'll probably be a bitch when the glasses' batteries start crapping out though.

@ jadeskye 

Thats the scariest thing i've ever seen.

It gets worse.

Jaize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jaize

@Mr_Skeleton: Thanks for the info, but alas my issue, as is the same for quite a few others, is that 3D technology in general is fine for about 15 minutes, and then I need to go a) vomit b) lie down for a few hours c) pass out.

I guess its one of those things about technology in its infancy, side effects arise that were unforeseen. Still, I hope at some point these effects can be negated.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.