Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Elite Beat Agents

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 06, 2006

Elite Beat Agents is a rhythm game for the Nintendo DS developed by iNiS Corp. and published by Nintendo. It is a spiritual sequel to the Japanese only Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, and uses many of the same touch screen based gameplay mechanics.

Elite Beat Agents: Vinyl Verdict

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 29

Edited By RAmpersaND

Reuniting with Elite Beat Agents was a unique experience for me because I played the game while waiting in lines at this year's PAX East. I didn't want to scare anyone by laughing hard at a pug turning into a samurai, but I chuckled anyway. And I didn't want to freak anyone out by crying when a little girl's father dies, but I got a touch misty anyhow. Really, it amazes me that this goofy little title can elicit such strong emotions, especially when it portrays itself as a game that's purely about rocking out.

The Good: The highlight of PAX East for me this year was a panel on localization: the process of translating Japanese titles for an American audience. Although the panel's presenters never discussed Elite Beat Agents, they did ask all of us in the audience to call out quality localization when we see it, and I'll be damned if I don't mention the quality of this game's localization. Rather than simply translating the J-pop-fueled Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, the team at iNiS completely re-invented that title to produce EBA. I can only imagine that it took a lot of hard work to keep Ouendan's quirky atmosphere and inspirational message intact!

The Bad: All of EBA's songs were recorded by cover bands, which is disappointing even though none of the performances are painful. The only other complaint that I have with this game is that its final stage seems to be one notch too challenging on each difficulty; for example, the final level on Easy (or "Breezin'") feels like it would be better suited for Normal (or "Cruisin'"), and the final level on Cruisin' feels like it belongs on Hard (or "Sweatin'").

The Stand-out Moment: Honoring the memory of a young girl's father on Christmas Day.

The Verdict: 8.5 (out of 10)

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 29

#1  Edited By RAmpersaND

Reuniting with Elite Beat Agents was a unique experience for me because I played the game while waiting in lines at this year's PAX East. I didn't want to scare anyone by laughing hard at a pug turning into a samurai, but I chuckled anyway. And I didn't want to freak anyone out by crying when a little girl's father dies, but I got a touch misty anyhow. Really, it amazes me that this goofy little title can elicit such strong emotions, especially when it portrays itself as a game that's purely about rocking out.

The Good: The highlight of PAX East for me this year was a panel on localization: the process of translating Japanese titles for an American audience. Although the panel's presenters never discussed Elite Beat Agents, they did ask all of us in the audience to call out quality localization when we see it, and I'll be damned if I don't mention the quality of this game's localization. Rather than simply translating the J-pop-fueled Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, the team at iNiS completely re-invented that title to produce EBA. I can only imagine that it took a lot of hard work to keep Ouendan's quirky atmosphere and inspirational message intact!

The Bad: All of EBA's songs were recorded by cover bands, which is disappointing even though none of the performances are painful. The only other complaint that I have with this game is that its final stage seems to be one notch too challenging on each difficulty; for example, the final level on Easy (or "Breezin'") feels like it would be better suited for Normal (or "Cruisin'"), and the final level on Cruisin' feels like it belongs on Hard (or "Sweatin'").

The Stand-out Moment: Honoring the memory of a young girl's father on Christmas Day.

The Verdict: 8.5 (out of 10)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.