Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Empire: Total War

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 03, 2009

The fifth installment in the Total War series from The Creative Assembly. Empire: Total War features the series' hallmark blend of real-time strategic battles, and turn-based empire building. Empire takes place during the 18th century — an age of imperial expansion, trade, rifles and cannons.

Does the Boxed verison of the game intergrate with Steam?

Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Xelloss

Just wondering if the boxed game integrates with Steam, for achievements and what not.  Kinda like DoW2 did.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Yes it does.  Aparently you have to have Steam open when you install Empire.  Empire will then just be added to your games list as if you'd bought it from Steam.  Aparently you can even redownload Empire via Steam.

I haven't done this myself but I read an FAQ while I waited for Empire to download
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By BiggerBomb

I don't know exactly how this whole "Steam integration" technology works, so what I'm about to ask might be as moot as it is uninformed. But with the recent demands that Steam is placing on PC games across the board, in terms of recquired integration, isn't this starting to become a bit of a monopoly?

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Wolverine

Yup, just make sure you have Steam open when you install the game.

Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kajaah117

Yes, you just need to register the CD Key with Steam. Details here.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r
    BiggerBomb said:
    "I don't know exactly how this whole "Steam integration" technology works, so what I'm about to ask might be as moot as it is uninformed. But with the recent demands that Steam is placing on PC games across the board, in terms of recquired integration, isn't this starting to become a bit of a monopoly?"
    What demands? SEGA likely chose to have the game this integrated to fully take advantage of the Steam features like auto updating and DRM. If they also released it in stand alone versions then they'd have to release patches the conventional way or create their own patch tool, while Steam's DRM functions would be completely bypassed as people would pirate the non-Steam version and crack it the old fashioned way.

Unless Valve makes integration mandatory for games published through it and I missed the news, but I don't think they do that, I own several stand alone games that are also offered on Steam yet I don't run them through it as they aren't so fully integrated when you buy them outside Steam. It's still an option for the most part and there are other digital distribution platforms that are widely used, like Impulse from Stardock, Good Old Games, or things like Direct2Drive, GamersGate and what's starting to become known for its streaming tech, AWOMO. Personally, I also buy games online from Atari when they're not offered here as their system was decently robust and hassle-free aside from the downside they don't keep it available for the buyer for more than you need to download it unless you pay extra (and I didn't, I keep back ups).

This side of the market is constantly growing and I'm sure it won't end up as a monopoly, if anything in the future I can see developers offering their own games through their own sites each, once people are more comfortable with online purchases and don't need another company like Valve to vouch for reliability. Blizzard's doing this already, no? Though portals like Steam and Impulse will likely still hold their ground depending on the services each can offer.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Al3xand3r said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "I don't know exactly how this whole "Steam integration" technology works, so what I'm about to ask might be as moot as it is uninformed. But with the recent demands that Steam is placing on PC games across the board, in terms of recquired integration, isn't this starting to become a bit of a monopoly?"
    What demands?"

I was under the impression that it's becoming common place for developers to require registration with Steam to play their games. I'm probably mistaken. Like I said, I'm uninformed on the subject.

Al3xand3r said:
    "there are other digital distribution platforms that are widely used, like Impulse from Stardock, Good Old Games, or things like Direct2Drive, GamersGate"

And I'd just like to add that just because an industry might harbor competitors, does not mean a monopoly isn't present.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

If they require it it's because the developers/publishers themselves want to use the features on their own, not because Valve forces them. Lot's of companies don't do it, but I'm sure more will do it as it grows in popularity, but the competitors will also grow. Edited my post a little while you were replying (last paragraph mostly).

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Al3xand3r said:
    "If they require it it's because the developers/publishers themselves want to use the features on their own, not because Valve forces them. Lot's of companies don't do it, but I'm sure more will do it as it grows in popularity, but the competitors will also grow. Edited my post a little while you were replying (last paragraph mostly)."

Happens all the time!
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By PureRok
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    "there are other digital distribution platforms that are widely used, like Impulse from Stardock, Good Old Games, or things like Direct2Drive, GamersGate"

And I'd just like to add that just because an industry might harbor competitors, does not mean a monopoly isn't present."
    The existence of competitors means there isn't a monopoly. A monopoly implies you are the one and only company that offers a product.

Dictionary: "the market condition that exists when there is only one seller." or "(economics) a market in which there are many buyers but only one seller."
    Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kajaah117
    PureRok said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Al3xand3r said:

And I'd just like to add that just because an industry might harbor competitors, does not mean a monopoly isn't present."
    The existence of competitors means there isn't a monopoly. A monopoly implies you are the one and only company that offers a product.Dictionary: "the market condition that exists when there is only one seller." or "(economics) a market in which there are many buyers but only one seller.""
    I've always gone by the: "when a specific individual or enterprise has sufficient control over a particular product or service to determine significantly the terms on which other individuals shall have access to it," definition. A company that, while not the ONLY one providing a product or service, has a huge influence on the entire market they're associated with. An example of that would be Kleenex. There's all sorts of tissue companies, but 9 times out of 10 you'll hear someone say, "Hand me a Kleenex."

To me, Steam was pretty close to creating a monopoly in the downloadable PC games market, however there's been a few new services to come out in the last few years that have done pretty impressive things to keep Steam from dominating. Good Old Games, Direct2Drive, etc. These services have become viable enough that Steam doesn't quite have same amount of control they did around say 2006.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.