Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Empire: Total War

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 03, 2009

The fifth installment in the Total War series from The Creative Assembly. Empire: Total War features the series' hallmark blend of real-time strategic battles, and turn-based empire building. Empire takes place during the 18th century — an age of imperial expansion, trade, rifles and cannons.

Pathing / AI issues around forts?

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By snide

Is anyone seeing any of the following in fights over forts?

• On defense your units have trouble firing from atop the walls regardless of the enemy being on top of the wall or down below.
    • On offense your units deciding to magically scale a wall and come down the other side when going around a corner of a fort.
    • The gates opening as soon as one unit gets on the wall?

Having a lot of fun with the game, but the combat in and around forts makes me always need to siege the enemy and hope they pop outside the fort so my forces don't run into pathing issues.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

I'm just sad that it is unlikely that my iMac will run the game so that I could see this for myself.  I read it requires minimum 2.4 or 2.6Ghz Dual Core and my iMac runs a 2.16 Ghz dual core.  Still, I may download the demo to put the idea to bed forever and stop pining for this game (at least for 3 years before I likley change Macs).

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Gunner

Im downloading the game on steam now, ill let you know if i see any of those issues. If there are pathing issues like that then i hope they will patch it soon.

Vecta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Vecta

Im playing as Prussia at the moment, conquered about 15 provinces and have yet to have a battle were I either siege a fort or defended a fort, so I cant really say. Most of my battles have been in the open.

RJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By RJ
    snide said:
    "Is anyone seeing any of the following in fights over forts?

• On defense your units have trouble firing from atop the walls regardless of the enemy being on top of the wall or down below.
    • On offense your units deciding to magically scale a wall and come down the other side when going around a corner of a fort.
    • The gates opening as soon as one unit gets on the wall?

Having a lot of fun with the game, but the combat in and around forts makes me always need to siege the enemy and hope they pop outside the fort so my forces don't run into pathing issues.
    "
    Attacking enemy forts is definitely where the AI and pathfinding are it's weakest. I've seen the targeting and captured gates issues (haven't seen the magical scale yet) every time I attack a fort, so hopefully they've seen the problem and are planning to fix it. The pathfinding on top of walls is very frustrating as well, and having them use the canons on top of the walls seems like a hit or miss on where you actually place them.
    Marnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Marnox

I have the same problem. I do not understand the gate mechanic. Why cant soldiers just brake it open? Or have a cannon destroy the gate. Or atleast the walls.
    Taking a fort is so tedious and boring. The best tactic is just to wait outside and let the enemy rush outside and then go in the gate they used...

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gunner

After playing the American campaign for a loooong time ive pretty much decided that fort battles are the spawn of satan. Defending them is a piece of cake, just put your units on the walls and wait. But there is almost no tactics involved in assaulting a fortress, its either surround the fortress from all sides and hope that you hit a weak spot or just break a single spot open and rush all your units in. Either or your going to need to outnumber your enemy or have stronger units to take over a fort. I auto-resolve at every fort battle i come across.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By killdave

Snide,

Its a very very bugged game. Loads of people are having issues with its constant crashing and dodgy AI / Pathfinding.

The last total war game - Medieval 2, was also very bugged on release (though not nearly as bad as Empire), normally you need to wait a month or two and get the patches / finished game.

Actually no, what you need to do with the recent total war games is start downloading MODS that fix the game instead. Total war center is a good TW mod site.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By ZombiePie

Yup, and the sad thing is that this has always been a problem in the Total War franchise. It really bothers me that  it's almost ten years since the first Total War game and they can't solve this prolem. Also if somone can give me advice on how to command ships so is that my naval battles don't end up in frantic messes that require attention to every single individual ship, that would be appreciated.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gunner
    ZombiePie said:
    "Yup, and the sad thing is that this has always been a problem in the Total War franchise. It really bothers me that  it's almost ten years since the first Total War game and they can't solve this prolem. Also if somone can give me advice on how to command ships so is that my naval battles don't end up in frantic messes that require attention to every single individual ship, that would be appreciated."
    naval battles are more of a cat and mouse type of game. There isnt any solid tactic that i use that works out the way i plan so i find it best to just fire a couple of shots into an enemy ship then try to board it as soon as possible, that way if there are more enemy ships then they will likely shoot their friends ship on accedent causing even more damage to them.

killdave said:
    "Snide,Its a very very bugged game. Loads of people are having issues with its constant crashing and dodgy AI / Pathfinding.The last total war game - Medieval 2, was also very bugged on release (though not nearly as bad as Empire), normally you need to wait a month or two and get the patches / finished game. Actually no, what you need to do with the recent total war games is start downloading MODS that fix the game instead. Total war center is a good TW mod site."

I dont think its nearly as buggy as you make it out to be, ive yet to encounter a bug yet except for the annoying AI who decides its cool to just send a small unit out to destroy my farms/trade posts every fucking turn. But thats not even a bug.
    Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Um yea it's not as buggy as killdave makes out as far as I can tell.  It hasn't crashed on me once yet.  The forts however are a pretty big problem.  My method is to take 4 units of the largest cannons I can find on every single offensive siege and blow out a large chunk of wall.  The AI tends to panic and mass all of its units in the centre of the fort leaving you take the walls and just rain fire down on them.  It is strange that a single unit can capture the fort and open the gates for everyone, it would make sense if you captured a gatehouse or something but it can be literally anywhere, I bet they fix that one quite soon 2bh.

What annoys me the most is that generally the AI in this game is a huge step forward.  I remember in Rome you could actually rotate the entire enemies army by sending a single unit around their flanks.  In Empire I've been flanked and ambushed, tactics that I've never really seen done well by an AI in a Total War game.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Milkman

It definitely seems that the A.I. problems are universal. All the reviews I have read so far mention it.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By killdave

Not as buggy as I make out to be???
    Really, serious?

From the get go it was bugged, and I do me the very start. The installation via Steam was botched. No pre-download so on launch day everyone had to fight for Steams bandwidth to download the game (15gb worth very very slow, and the download kept RESETTING TO ZERO), while others with boxed version could play straight away.

Opps, I mean those with boxes tried inserting the DVD to install, they got forced by Steam to "download the entire game" instead of installing of the physical media! Day 2 they fixed thise issue but left a bitter taste in our mouths.

As for the rest of the bugs you will need to visit a dedicated Total War site like Total War Centre. (Link to forums - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1074) I would say them all but I dont have enough space.

Bugs range from CTD (crash to desktop) when certain "minor" factions declare war on you ... save games corrupting ... to Naval battle reinforcements cause CTD when you click on the in the game and tell them to attack ^^

Really annoying as it has great potential :(

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gunner

I have just experienced a few crashes, not CTD's but total system crashes ever sense the new patch came out. Anyone else experience this?

IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

To be fair killdave most of what your saying seems to be problems with Steam and people being impatient or installing the game wrong.  I'm sure there are dozens of people on the empire forums threatening to get their money back and veto Steam games because the download took a while too lol.

On topic:  I've never actually had a problem with Empire yet.  No crashes, no corrupt save games, nothing.  The only bugs I've seen are the bugs attacking forts where your guys constantly climb up and down ropes and of course the front door opening as soon as one of your guys touches the top of the walls.
    RJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By RJ

I've only had 2 CTD's so far with the game, the first happened after an 8+ hour session on the Road to Independence campaign. The 2nd happened yesterday after I patched up, I was playing the Grand Campaign mode with the U.S. and tried taking a capitol then the game CTD. I re-loaded from the auto-save and tried again and was able to continue playing. I have seen the corrupted save bug happen to my bro though, after about 40 turns into the last RTI campaign the game would just crash whenever he attacked an enemy or an enemy attacked him, he had to make a new game and create a new save just to get it to stop crashing.

Hmm, that's def weird that your whole system is locking up on you Gunner, especially since it was working before. Do you BSOD or does the game just completely freezes your system causing you to reboot?
    killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By killdave

Sometimes it freezes, and you need to spam AltCtrlDel. Other times the game just crashes to desktop with "game has stopped working"

As for Incrediblebulk92 saying that most issues are steam related he's wrong sadly :(

When dedicated Total War sites have over 880 separate threads/topics regarding BUGS ... less that 1 week after the game is released ... you can't kid yourself that something is seriously wrong and broken with this lastest game.

IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    killdave said:
    As for Incrediblebulk92 saying that most issues are steam related he's wrong sadly :(
    I was actually talking about a few specific points of yours.  I'm not saying that the game isn't buggy, but after over 100 turns with my british campaign I haven't had a single crash yet.

killdave said:
    From the get go it was bugged, and I do me the very start. The installation via Steam was botched. No pre-download so on launch day everyone had to fight for Steams bandwidth to download the game (15gb worth very very slow, and the download kept RESETTING TO ZERO), while others with boxed version could play straight away.

Opps, I mean those with boxes tried inserting the DVD to install, they got forced by Steam to "download the entire game" instead of installing of the physical media! Day 2 they fixed thise issue but left a bitter taste in our mouths.
    That sounds like Steam issues to me :)
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gunner

Ok it turns out that i set my graphics settings wrong, and they conflicted and crashed for some reason. It seems if you use the pre-set settings you are less likely to experience problems.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By snide

I posted the review of this just now. Thanks for the feedback guys. It was nice to know it wasn't just me seeing issues with the AI.

IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    snide said:
    "I posted the review of this just now. Thanks for the feedback guys. It was nice to know it wasn't just me seeing issues with the AI."
    Shameless snide, absolutely shameless.  Pimping your review like that, you should be ashamed :P
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By oldschool
    oldschool said:
    "I'm just sad that it is unlikely that my iMac will run the game so that I could see this for myself.  I read it requires minimum 2.4 or 2.6Ghz Dual Core and my iMac runs a 2.16 Ghz dual core.  Still, I may download the demo to put the idea to bed forever and stop pining for this game (at least for 3 years before I likley change Macs)."
    Okay, I'm a dick.  I re-read the box today and it requires a 2.4Ghz single core minimum.  That means I am in the game.  Woot.  The review on my favourite computer game show, Good Game, looked awesome and the only technical hitch they noticed was some dropout in music, but otherwise smoooooth.
    icoangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By icoangel

It not very buggy at all for me, but it seems like thats cus i have a better computer then most, all i had to do is turn the fans on my vidio cards up(cus they get hella hot) and it runs great. 

and yes the AI and path finding are abit dumb at times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.