Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Empire: Total War

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 03, 2009

The fifth installment in the Total War series from The Creative Assembly. Empire: Total War features the series' hallmark blend of real-time strategic battles, and turn-based empire building. Empire takes place during the 18th century — an age of imperial expansion, trade, rifles and cannons.

Questions About Steam

CylonAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CylonAndrew

1. How much of the game do I have to download, very important as my internet provider is a duchbag and set an internet usage limit.

2. Do I have limited activations.

3. Can I have it running on multiple computers in my home, if I want to play vs my dad.

I already know that there is a way to play ofline after you authenticate.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

You can use Steam and install games on as many PCs as you want. However you'll need more than one account if you want to play against your dad, because you can only be logged in on one PC at a time.

CylonAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CylonAndrew

Thanks, but I am still wondering about how much will I have to download to play the game, and I talking 50mb, or something rediculous as 1 GB? Tell me an exact number please? As long as 98% of the 15GB is on the disks, I'm happy.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Karmum
    CylonAndrew said:
    "1. How much of the game do I have to download, very important as my internet provider is a duchbag and set an internet usage limit.2. Do I have limited activations.3. Can I have it running on multiple computers in my home, if I want to play vs my dad.I already know that there is a way to play ofline after you authenticate."
    All of the game has to be downloaded to play. (if I'm correct) You can have multiple accounts, as long as you have multiple computers. However, each account must have the game, so you can't have that one version running on multiple computers. (as you stated)
    CylonAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CylonAndrew

WHAT! I BUY THE FUCKING BOX SO I DON"T HAVE TO DOWNLOAD 15GB!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

It depends on the game. If you're looking at something like a Source game, then yes, you will have to download over 1 GB for the Source engine alone; and then the remainder will be the game itself. However once you've got the Source engine, you don't need to redownload that for the next Source game you download.
    Yes, there are games that are about 50 MB. But that's considered pretty small for a PC game, and if you're thinking about Empire: Total War, this game takes up considerably more space than that.

CylonAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CylonAndrew

What I mean is how much space will the initial patching take? The system requirements say 15GB, I do not want to download more that 1GB.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LordAndrew
    CylonAndrew said:
    "WHAT! I BUY THE FUCKING BOX SO I DON"T HAVE TO DOWNLOAD 15GB!"
    Some games do let you install from the disc. But you still have to download updates, which can be pretty large themselves.

CylonAndrew said:
    "What I mean is how much space will the initial patching take? The system requirements say 15GB, I do not want to download more that 1GB."
    It really depends on the game. In the case of Empire: Total War... I have no idea.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Karmum
    CylonAndrew said:
    "What I mean is how much space will the initial patching take? The system requirements say 15GB, I do not want to download more that 1GB."
    If it says you have to use up 15GB, then you have to use up 15GB on your harddrive. I don't think many games are less than 1GB now-a-days.
    CylonAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CylonAndrew

NO! I mean, how much of the game do I get from the box.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LordAndrew

You get the whole game from the box. But you still will have to download updates and I don't know how big those are.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Gunner

Empire total war is too new to have updates right now and when an update does come out im almost positive that it will be less than 1gb.

If you buy it from a store and install it through a disk, you shouldnt have to download anything as long as you have a steam account.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kozzy1234

Empire Total War has already had 1 somewhat big update and one small one.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Diamond
    CylonAndrew said:
    "1. How much of the game do I have to download, very important as my internet provider is a duchbag and set an internet usage limit
    2. Do I have limited activations.
    3. Can I have it running on multiple computers in my home, if I want to play vs my dad.I already know that there is a way to play ofline after you authenticate."
    1. It varies from game to game.  Some games will require you to download a lot of the game, some games will just have large updates, some games have small updates.  Some games even stream content as you go (Half Life 1 Source can do this).  Some games also download special maps and other content from the server you're playing on (online play)
    2. I think this varies from game to game sometimes too.  It counts an activation if you download on hardware that's at least 70-85% different than what you have now (I've heard), so if you just upgrade your RAM or videocard, or just delete and redownload, that doesn't count.  Playing on a new PC probably does count.  I think in 95% of cases, even if you go through lots of activations, you can still contact them and get past the problem.
    3. You'll probably have to pay for more than one copy on more than one account.  Not sure how many games have offline LAN play that can get past any limitations like that, it may be possible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.