Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is an action adventure game developed by Ninja Theory and published by Namco-Bandai. A very loose retelling of "Journey to the West," Enslaved follows the story of Monkey and Trip as they attempt to cross a post-apocalyptic Planet Earth.

What did you think of Enslaved: Odyssey to the West? xSuperGirlx

xSuperGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By xSuperGirl

In my opinion....

The game is epic, concerning art/visuals. The characters, the levels and the machines etc are extremely vibrant and I found it almost impossible to find a level that was awful looking and not done well. The game is a button masher, climb here, climb there, tap tap, on to the next part, if you don’t mind that great, but it does become quite boring.

The story itself is great, it’s not amazing or outstanding, but it is great, the characters are good in themselves and for me personally, I really enjoyed the character progress and the cut scenes, but I felt at times, there weren’t enough cut scenes.

The story starts off slow at first, game play becomes quite tedious and I felt quite bored towards the middle, but thankfully the story picked up pace by the middle and I started to become deeply engaged until the end, even managing a few chuckles here and there! During playing the story through, I had to restart my console three times because of the loading screen becoming frozen, this did not affect my enjoyment at all with the game but it can be quite frustrating.

Overall the game is great, for £10 it is a bargain, but the game lets it self down with the boring beginning, tedious gameplay that can become quite repetitive and the lack of cut scenes to give the story more ‘weight’.

Most of all what I enjoyed about the game, is the story building between the two main characters and the cute dependency they have on eachother - it's fresh, it's sweet, it's new and great to watch.

If you enjoy games such as Deus Ex, LittleBigPlanet and Uncharted, definitely give this game a rent!

Overall rating - 7/10

Reply with your thoughts on the game!

xSuperGirl

Twitter @rachel_henley

Black Ops VS Modern Warfare 3 discussion/blog

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/xsupergirl/modern-warfare-3-vs-black-ops-by-xsupergirl/30-96042/

xSuperGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By xSuperGirl

In my opinion....

The game is epic, concerning art/visuals. The characters, the levels and the machines etc are extremely vibrant and I found it almost impossible to find a level that was awful looking and not done well. The game is a button masher, climb here, climb there, tap tap, on to the next part, if you don’t mind that great, but it does become quite boring.

The story itself is great, it’s not amazing or outstanding, but it is great, the characters are good in themselves and for me personally, I really enjoyed the character progress and the cut scenes, but I felt at times, there weren’t enough cut scenes.

The story starts off slow at first, game play becomes quite tedious and I felt quite bored towards the middle, but thankfully the story picked up pace by the middle and I started to become deeply engaged until the end, even managing a few chuckles here and there! During playing the story through, I had to restart my console three times because of the loading screen becoming frozen, this did not affect my enjoyment at all with the game but it can be quite frustrating.

Overall the game is great, for £10 it is a bargain, but the game lets it self down with the boring beginning, tedious gameplay that can become quite repetitive and the lack of cut scenes to give the story more ‘weight’.

Most of all what I enjoyed about the game, is the story building between the two main characters and the cute dependency they have on eachother - it's fresh, it's sweet, it's new and great to watch.

If you enjoy games such as Deus Ex, LittleBigPlanet and Uncharted, definitely give this game a rent!

Overall rating - 7/10

Reply with your thoughts on the game!

xSuperGirl

Twitter @rachel_henley

Black Ops VS Modern Warfare 3 discussion/blog

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/xsupergirl/modern-warfare-3-vs-black-ops-by-xsupergirl/30-96042/

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By falserelic

I enjoyed Enslaved for what it was. Though I thought the ending was weird, and I wish there was more to do gameplay wise.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By hbkdx12

As great as i thought the game was, i for some reason never had the urge to play through it again.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zajtalan

Great game loved it and especially the end credits, they were accompanied by cool music.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By falserelic

@hbkdx12 said:

As great as i thought the game was, i for some reason never had the urge to play through it again.

I agree after I beat the game I didn't have a urge to play it no more. Makes me wonder how ninja theory DMC game is going to turnout.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I remember thinking the demo was cool but never bothered to pick it up.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RE_Player1

It's one of my favourite games this generation. The acting is well done, I actually got quite attached to the characters, and the combat/platforming mechanics are really fun in my opinion. This game is the reason I'm excited for the new DMC.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JasonR86

I thought it was cool at first but got worse as it went along. The ending was awful.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Jeust

I liked the game. I thought it was ok, although I enjoyed more Heavenly Sword, which I think it is better. I think Enslaved over-simplified the gameplay from Heavenly Sword, appart from the quicktime events that were boring.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Hunter5024

Pretty awesome humanized characters, interesting setting, and great visuals, but wrapped around kind of average gameplay and an overall weak plot. I think it was great, but I think it's kind of hard to love once you take into consideration its awful third act, and a few of the chapters that really drag in terms of gameplay. A really solid attempt though, I think Heavenly Sword was better. Still really looking forward to DMC.

Also I remember when this game came out one of the super liberal white dudes on the hotspot refused to play it because the main character was named Monkey and since he was "Enslaved" that made this game automatically racist. Obviously the title and name of the main character are more than enough to justify his reasoning to completely write the game off.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By falserelic

@Hunter5024 said:

Also I remember when this game came out one of the super liberal white dudes on the hotspot refused to play it because the main character was named Monkey and since he was "Enslaved" that made this game automatically racist. Obviously the title and name of the main character are more than enough to justify his reasoning to completely write the game off.

LOL! I'm surprised I didn't hear about that..

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Packie

Wonderful aesthetic and art direction, superb acting from everybody and especially Serkis, Ninja Theory took the tired post-apocalypse trope and turned it into something refreshing. Too bad the gameplay was absolutely dreadful, suffers from the worst lag input I've seen in a big budget game this generation and worst of all the atrocious frame-rate on the PS3 version. I wanted to love it but there was so much crap that got on the way of that I actually never bothered to finish it.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wjb

The annoying thing about Enslaved is the developers not knowing what an epilogue means.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JasonR86

@falserelic said:

@Hunter5024 said:

I looked up this Hotspot episode. Only one guy made that comment and another guy made fun of him. The other guys stay out of it because they hadn't played the game. The guy who made the comment isn't a reviewer. So Hunter is generalizing a bit much here.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cannonballbam

Amazing, everyone should own a copy.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By GunstarRed

I enjoyed it. It has a bunch of problems with its storytelling and ending, but it is well acted and has ok combat.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Hunter5024

@JasonR86 said:

@falserelic said:

@Hunter5024 said:

I looked up this Hotspot episode. Only one guy made that comment and another guy made fun of him. The other guys stay out of it because they hadn't played the game. The guy who made the comment isn't a reviewer. So Hunter is generalizing a bit much here.

Nawh that's what I said, "one of the super liberal white dudes on the hotspot". I think the fact that another editor disagreed with him actually made it worse, because he stuck to his initial judgment even after they told him it was kind of stupid.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spoonman671

The character stuff is really good, the gameplay is mediocre, and the ending (and all the Andy Serkis stuff) is stupid.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JasonR86

@Hunter5024 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@falserelic said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Nawh that's what I said, "one of the super liberal white dudes on the hotspot". I think the fact that another editor disagreed with him actually made it worse, because he stuck to his initial judgment even after they told him it was kind of stupid.

Sorry, you're right. But the way I read it it almost looked like you were condemning the Hotspot crew as a whole when the only one that sounded like an idiot was the one guy.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Brendan

I thought it was a pretty cool looking game with excellent technological bits and an interesting character based story. The combat was decently fun, if average, and the orb collecting was boring.

Also, this:

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

Combat sucked. Prefer the Chinese novel and Japanese TV series.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WarlordPayne

I thought the characters were great, and the story and gameplay were good. I don't get all the hate the ending to Enslaved gets, I thought it fit perfectly.

I also loved that it was a post apocalyptic game that was bright and colorful.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By csl316

Great game. Seemed a lot more polished than Heavenly Sword, so hopefully DMC continues their trend of improving with each release. Still haven't gotten around to the DLC, though.

AdzPearson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#24  Edited By AdzPearson

I was playing through this earlier in the year...then my 360 decided to stop working. Haven't played it since. I enjoyed what I played of it, though. I'm not a huge fan of combat-heavy games, but the storyline was interesting enough for me. I also liked the game's take on some of the 'Journey to the West' staples (such as the 'cloud'). I'll definitely get back to it when I have a working 360.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Didn't like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was boring.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By RonGalaxy

I just beat this game after buying it for 5 dollars on psn. It was good for most of its duration... Then the last 4 or so hours started. What a fucking chore it became to get through that game. Fighting the enemies was always annoying, making them harder to fight didn't help matters; the puzzles were stupid, and the part where you have to uncouple things to free the giant mech was aggravating. And that scorpion boss was the absolute worst. They even made shooting at weak points bad... How does that work? They make it almost impossible to hit..

Then the ending happened. What bullshit did I just watch? Such a bad twist that soured my opinion of the good parts of the game. Question: if they were all under some bullshit Andy Serkis memory spell, then why did the dude at the beginning say to monkey 'I cant help you', and then proceed to get murdered for helping him? Monkey asked him where something was on a POST APOCALYPTIC SLAVER SHIP, and he told him exactly where it was. If they were unaware of what was going on in the real world, then why the fuck did that happen?

And one of the things I absolutely despise the most is featured in this game. FMV paired with cgi 3d graphics (for story purposes). I don't want to see an actual picture of Andy Serkis, let alone some bullshit video of him phoning in a cobbled together performance shot on a shitty camera. You couldn't have squeezed in an extra model in the budget? It's not like there were many to begin with.

It had so much going for it, and those last few hours ruin it. If it weren't for the story potential, I would have never played it, because it plays like absolute garbage. At least it looked kind of nice (especially the character models).

And sure, I only paid 5 bucks, but what a huge waste of time it was. If you want to play a game with similar trappings, just play prince of persia 08. Very similar story setup/beats, but much more satisfying (and it has a conclusion that had some thought put into it).

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

It was kinda boring. The environment and characters look great at the time. The story is okay, but it is not enticing enough, thus sometimes it feels like a chore to continue to next chapter.

The main letdown is the combat, which lacks depth and feel. DmC is a step up for Ninja Theory, I hope that for now on they will focus more on the combat too. It's a very average game.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By SharkEthic

Nothing amazing, but I liked it overall and thought the ending was pretty cool.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good game.

And Monkey was super ripped and jacked. Talk about sexualized men in gaming...

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

I thought it was a pretty cool looking game with excellent technological bits and an interesting character based story. The combat was decently fun, if average, and the orb collecting was boring.

Also, this:

oh man, love ryan so much.

I will probable pick up Enslaved now that it's 5 bucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.