Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Enter the Gungeon

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 05, 2016

Four unlikely heroes must fight through a fortress inhabited by large sentient bullets (among other gun-related creatures) seeking a legendary weapon in this gun-themed rogue-like "bullet hell" shooter.

Gun Get Some

• 65 results
    glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Enter The Gungeon will be arriving guns blazing tomorrow, when it'll be out on PC and PS4.

There'll be lots of guns and randomly generated levels. I bought Nuclear Throne back in release, but kinda grew bored with it because of the level themes always appearing in the same order. I suppose the levels can't be wildly different in this one either, because it's set in gungeons dank dungeons, but I hope they'll at least try.

There'll probably be a QL, but the crew did check out the PSX demo back in 2014 already (01:05:34).

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This game is awesome, if you are not fed up with pixel art yet, this one does it exceptionally well! Gameplay is really solid so far, looks really polished and made with love, great details. And looks like the needed depth is there as well, there is a huge database of enemies/guns/items to fill out!

And man, that title screen...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Something about this isn't really grabbing me but maybe it's one of those - you have to play it to get into it - sort of deals.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between this, Hyper Light Drifter, Dark Souls 3, and the upcoming PC release of Danganronpa 2, I really really have no idea what I should buy and spend time on.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@adequatelyprepared: All of it. Whip out the poop sock and cancel any adult responsibilities you have and just fall off the face of the earth for an entire month.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Every time I see the title of this game it makes me think of Jar Jar Binks.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By IamTerics

I have 80 something hours in Nuclear Throne and love it to death. And this looks like a good one of those shooty non rougelikes. It looks like theres a bit more going on, especially with the bullet patterns and dodge rolls, so I'm interested to see how it all works. Also the name "Enter the Gungeon" and all of their gun themed enemies are great. I really like the "Beholder with guns" as a concept. There better be a gun that shoots guns.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron said:

Every time I see the title of this game it makes me think of Jar Jar Binks.

Sadly, "Enter The Gungan" is only available from a shady Russian mail order catalog, itself only being available on an even shadier paysite with many fake download links and a disturbingly active community. The game does, however, have a very *shudder* accurate and descriptive title.

So I, uhh, so I've heard.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game seems solid, I eagerly await the PS+ release.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uuh, what happened to that other Gungeon thread? Sure, mine has a better pun in the title, but I was already using that one along with others.

Anyway, I did a run with the Pilot and got friggin FOUR extra hearts, the best weapon I've seen so far and these shady field medics.

No Caption Provided

...then the Wall boss promptly wrecked me down to one heart before I managed to kill him. I don't know if the camera did something, but I couldn't see my character for a good few seconds from the middle of that bullet hell, like he would've disappeard outside the view. But hey, at least I beat him/her/it. No idea how I would've done it with a lesser weapon, the regular three hearts and two blanks...hopefully I'll find out some day.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Enter the Gungeon is what I wanted from the Binding of Isaac. I know they are both two different games within the same genre, but Enter the Gungeon has the same hooks but with a more appealing art-style that doesn't turn me off. Just a fantastic game with amazing art design, quirky humour littered everywhere, and a healthy difficulty. Can't get much better.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm telling ya there seems like there's technique to the money drops. Maybe people could try this strategy and report back. Try shooting and killing enemies while standing still. You will know the trajectory of the bullets so you can easily roll out of the way if you need to but continue to try and kill dudes while standing still and occasionally rolling. I'm sure there are hidden bonuses for not getting hit as well but there are some runs where I make some serious bank early on with this strategy. Admittedly this could all be in my head.

@grulet said:

Uuh, what happened to that other Gungeon thread?

My guess is someone wanted to put the kibosh on the anti-Vlambeer talk in the other thread. The mods must be on the take, follow the money. I'll take every opportunity I can bring up how badly they borked Nuclear Throne on PS4 because it's not like any remotely reputable news site will bring up such a small matter. I understand that it's easy to forget about a game that's months old but even indie devs shouldn't forget about their consumers.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Meltac

What I can tell from my small amount of "researching", is that it seems like the faster you are at clearing out a room skillfully (not getting hit,don't waste too many bullets), the more money you get. At least that seems to be what I have been doing on my good moneyruns.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meltac said:

What I can tell from my small amount of "researching", is that it seems like the faster you are at clearing out a room skillfully (not getting hit,don't waste too many bullets), the more money you get. At least that seems to be what I have been doing on my good moneyruns.

Alright, I guess that lines up with how my luck with money has been with my aforementioned technique. Having accuracy affect that seems kind of messed up considering sometimes you're shooting at enemies off screen or from behind cover.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero: I'm not entirely sure about that one either, but it really, really seems like it at times.

I also finally got the lightsaber inspired gun.. That thing is amazing! Then went on to find what is probably my favourite passive item so far: the one which makes flipped tables fly like rockets and then explode. I got a ton of money by blowing rooms and fools up with tables, and it just felt so god damn good.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meltac said:

I'm still super pissed off every time I kill a room flawlessly and it can't be bothered to drop even a single bit of money. I know Binding of Isaac also has situations where you clear out a room and your only reward is "yay the doors open", but especially in this game, where I know that taking no damage biases the drops to have more money, it feels like a slap in the face every time I take no damage and get no money.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meltac: I still need to unlock table tech rocket now that I know how, sounds amazing. Also the Fightsaber is probably top 3 guns among the ones I've seen (along with the super meat gun, that thing is broken as fuck it is so good, especially against bosses).

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, screw getting set on fire. I guess you can survive that by rolling fast, but I wasn't fast enough. Especially a bummer, since I was almost at full health and got a Particle Gun on the first floor, which wrecked every boss I fought and got me all the way up to Chamber five smoothly. I guess it was almost too easy then.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With 23 hours ranked in, this is probably the most I've spent playing a single game so far this year. Still haven't beaten it, made my way to the fifth floor maybe 3-4 times now. Probably 7 runs out of 10 I end up getting frustrated and angry because of terrible gun drops, useless items and making beginner mistakes, especially on runs that are otherwise going great, yet I still keep playing.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grulet: It does feel like the game hews closer to Spelunky than Nuclear Throne in terms of items. In Nuclear Throne, I could roll with just about any weapon it gives me, even if I have personal preferences; they're all good in their own way. In Enter the Gungeon, it has some guns that are just clearly garbage, much like Spelunky has stuff like the stupid web gun and camera that no one in their right mind ever does anything with.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's something really satisfying about fighting a Medusa by shooting a Stinger rocket launcher that every time it hits creates a swarm of bees, all the while using a jetpack to hover over top of the poison trail the Medusa is creating.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

...Wait, what the Hell happened to the other Gungeon thread?

Invo1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The wall boss is my worst enemy right now. I was not prepared for the fight at all. Any tips?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invo1221 said:

The wall boss is my worst enemy right now. I was not prepared for the fight at all. Any tips?

I've fought The Wall twice by now and beaten it both times. First time was a complete mess and I only survived because of having a good weapon and lots of extra health and blanks. I fought it again yesterday and while I did have a great weapon this time around too, dodging the projectiles actually wasn't too bad. Helps that those only come to you vertically (or most of 'em), iirc, when compared to every other boss I've encountered so far. Those damn Bullet Pilars/Statues on the fourth stage destroyed me, though.

I also just encountered my first crash during a level generation, while I was having a really good run and had grabbed couple of cool new weapons. Can't tell you how much that sucked.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invo1221 said:

The lava attack can be pretty rough and depending on your blank situation it might be a decent time to pop one and unload some damage on to it. The other main attacks look intimidating but really don't move too fast and are not too hard to dodge simply by moving around (not rolling). Also since the Wall stays in the same place dropping fire or acid(poison? Whatever the green stuff is) on it can help a lot too compared to most of the other bosses which are constantly moving.

After many failed or impossible (not enough keys) attempts I finally got to the secret level off chamber 1, beat it and got the crest, and managed to get the crest to the alter in chamber 2. Then got wrecked by the boss of the secret chamber off of chamber 2. Not sure if there are different bosses for that one as the boss for the first secret level has been the same every time I go there.

Had a mediocre run in terms of weapon drops but still made it to the Dragun, only to die with probably 2 shots left before it would die. On the plus side I finally am consistently beating the Tank without taking more than 1 or a max of 2 hits.

I also agree that the Fightsabre is one of the most overpowered guns in the game. Just demolishes the Wall boss as you can reflect the entire wall of bullets it spits when it does the lava attack. The Commando is also pretty wonderful against bosses as its explosions wipe out bullets, and it does a bunch of damage. The Megabuster, or whatever the game's copyright free version is, is also extremely good for normal exploring as it charges decently fast, takes out most enemies with a single charged shot, and comes with a boatload of ammo (if you only use Charge shots).

hankrazorbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grulet: It does feel like the game hews closer to Spelunky than Nuclear Throne in terms of items. In Nuclear Throne, I could roll with just about any weapon it gives me, even if I have personal preferences; they're all good in their own way. In Enter the Gungeon, it has some guns that are just clearly garbage, much like Spelunky has stuff like the stupid web gun and camera that no one in their right mind ever does anything with.

In Spelunky, picking up one of the terrible items was never nearly as frustrating as it is in Enter the Gungeon. Much longer floors, with less pickups on each and then, you are rewarded with Cupid's Bow.

I feel like they were trying to design the game in such a way that it would be more skill focused/ less RNG dependent, but it just ends up being annoying because 50% of the guns in the game are shit.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Joystick_Hero

@hankrazorbeard: Hey man, don't badmouth Cupid's Bow. It's not a boss fighting weapon, but charming the strongest enemy in a room and then hiding behind cover is incredibly effective.

@invo1221: When the wall boss does his fire river thing, it's totally possible to roll upwards through the thick wave of bullets, removing the need to ever cross the flames. Makes the fight much easier.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BisonHero

@joystick_hero: When all the enemies are equally strong, Cupid's Bow is a hassle. Even when there's one obvious target to charm, it still takes forever for that enemy to kill other enemies. I would pretty much always prefer a gun that just does actual damage.

It's one of the many bad charge weapons that has no business being a charge weapon and should just work like the crossbow where it's single shot with a low rate of fire.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just fought the wall boss for the first time, would've beaten him if I wasn't at half a heart and 1 armor for my first attempt. My mistake was trying to switch weapons in slow mo and I didn't notice that I wandered into the fire. Similar situation with the archpriest boss on chamber 4 where I went in with little to no health. Fourth chamber boss is the furthest I've made it though I did get to the Abbey for the first time today. Love how weird some of these side paths get. Also working on the fourth floor elevator repair. I don't really use the elevators but some of the unlocks you get from elevator guy in the Breach are pretty damn great.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I swear I have gotten worse at this game, did a patch make it more difficult? I probably just need more practice.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stackboy: The last few patches have actually made the game easier. (Increased chance of keys, toned down Treadnaught, better [less cheap] enemy placement, etc.). Don't know what to say; game's hard.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By glots

I almost had Dragun, aargh! Had a duct tape to combine two awesome weapons, knife shield and a lead skin...but of course I lost half of my health and blanks in one of the previous rooms by playing like an idiot.

I also bumped into a red weapon chest during one of my previous playthroughs. I'm guessing that's either something used to build up the ultimate weapon or just something to fool someone like me to feed it all of your guns for nothing. I think I fed it four of my guns before realizing that it wasn't going to happen.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By shivermetimbers

Just got this game and fuck the Bullet King. I can't figure out a way to beat him without using blanks. Oh, I enjoy the game a lot. It's just, fuck him.

walach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By walach

Anyone know if there is a secret third level ? ^^

@shivermetimbers I'd suggest staying at max range for that fight, whenever the boss closes in try to quickly reach the other side, a good time would be whenever hes done spraying the whole room full of bullets or when he throws the molotov.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By glots

Almost 40 hours in and I still kinda dislike this game (or myself) more than I like it...? I wish I'd at least get to down Dragun once, so I could say I've finished the game in some way and tell myself take a break.

At least it's not destroying my self-esteem when I'm watching Patrick play this and make the same kind of stupid mistakes that I do.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Old King has been kicking my ass every time. I feel like I need an arsenal of good weapons and extra health and armor just to stand a chance against him because he's got a lot of health and insane waves of bullet hell.

@walach said:

Anyone know if there is a secret third level ? ^^

Haven't found one but if it exists it must have something to do with the small empty room with two mine carts on a rectangular set of tracks that run over a pit of acid. Not talking about the big empty room with invisible tracks that lead to the Arcane Gunpowder. I believe that has something to do with building the gun that can kill the past.

walach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By walach

@mezmero: Old king was a tough bugger, but thankfully I had both the 1st and 2nd boss hp bonus and one decent gun going into the old king so it was doable but costly.

The Arcane Powder is part of the bullet you need for the Story gun. I've had no luck getting Prime Primer to the blacksmith got the other 3 though :)

anyone else experincing a lot of game crashes ? I feel it happens at least once every 5 runs.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Quipido
    @walach said:

@mezmero: Anyone else experincing a lot of game crashes ? I feel it happens at least once every 5 runs.

I just today finished the game on my 156th run and had no crashes at all on PS4.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walach said:

@mezmero: Old king was a tough bugger, but thankfully I had both the 1st and 2nd boss hp bonus and one decent gun going into the old king so it was doable but costly.

The Arcane Powder is part of the bullet you need for the Story gun. I've had no luck getting Prime Primer to the blacksmith got the other 3 though :)

anyone else experincing a lot of game crashes ? I feel it happens at least once every 5 runs.

Played just about 40 hours on PC and have had one crash during level generation. They're still pushing those updates out almost daily.

I also finally killed Dragun and finished the story (at least once) just now! That was a real underdog session too, playing badly with a Convict, but ended up running into a rainbow chest at second stage. First time I saw one of those, got tons of weapons and items from it. Also bought several buff items and bumped into the Money Godz shrine, that I could've also used at least five times, but forgot about it before facing the boss. That was a great run and almost made me forget about all the terrible ones for a while. Maybe I'll try to take a break now...

Also Shifty Pig item from one of my previous sessions was probably my top vidya game moment of the year so far.

walach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By walach

Yeah I hope the updates take care of it. Sucks having a nice run taken from you.

Yet another Dragun kill but as I got to shop for Prime Primer I think this was my third time being 1 short of 110 >.<

At least it gave me a fun item as a reward the " estus flask " ;)

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was lucky that killing the Dragun gave me the last component I needed so I finished the game in the same run.

walach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By walach

@quipido:

Who was your main ?

I tried every starter and then I only go Marine.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marine is okay. Pilot is best tier though. He's so good, I need to make a big deal out of it:

==Pros==

You get two active items, speaks for itself.

Lockpicks, which basically guarantees that any run can be a [secret] run.

Extra ammo for every gun. EVERY.

Cheaper shops, basically guarantees more passives per run.

==Con==

Basically the worst starting gun. (But you will be able to replace that in no time, and then you're off to the races).

I almost exclusively play Pilot now though, so I might be biased.

walach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joystick_hero:

I guess I'll go with pilot for my 2nd character, but I just love the Marine sidearm so good it can last you through most of the first 3 floors if you get crappy gun drops. That combined with the accuracy mostly is so nice, faster reload speed is somewhat handy aswell from his training :)

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pilot kinda actively tries to make me dislike him, when I get several runs in a row where the lockpick breaks the lock on everything I use it for. Hunter I've played every now and then because of the crossbow being pretty effective as a starter gun...and of course there's that cute dog. I'm kinda stuck on the Marine, suppose he's my "easy mode" for this game, what with the armor and accuracy. Still don't see the appeal for Convict, I rarely manage to use the molotov effectively, the sawed-off doesn't seem too good and the damage boost from getting hurt doesn't seem too great either.

Currently on a quest to kill mimics and still have four left. Kinda don't like it when the target's something that might or might not appear even if you do 30 runs in a row. Also need to get 180 shells and 4 keys for the elevator guy, which seems like a bitch as well. Granted, I just now had a run where I got nearly 90 shells on the first floor (still have no idea what's the logic behind the drop rate) but I still had to use a key to get me a weapon. Guess I have to rely on the Pilot's lockpicking luck to make it a bit tolerable.

reruns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used Hunter for the keys+cash phase of the shortcut quests, since the dog gives you free shit, except for the last one where I used Pilot, with the hope that opening a few chests for free would make it less likely that I would die to a chamber 4 boss with a totally half-assed build.

Also, I just beat Lich, the boss of BULLET HELL with an absolutely bananas run that was ten seconds away from being two hours long, because Clone is a good item. I'm pretty sure any run that can make it that far should just be buff as heck and dunk on it, but a fair fight would be savage.

Apparently you can get multiples of the same master round and they stack and count for the Lead God achievement.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walach: As others said, The Marine is great for starters so I would go with that. There are trophies for seeing all the endings so there is incentive to switch chacters when you finish the game. I also agree that The Pilot is awesome, but his starting gun is crap. I actually played asa him for my first couple of dozens runs but then switched to The Marine and immediately jumped forward, started to making it much further consistently. The Pilot is reliable on drops (from chests and shops) and therefore it's not a bad idea to use him once you have more stuff unlocked. Because the guns and items you do unlock get more expensive but also much better as you go. You are not only making the pool of items bigger, you are effectively making it stronger.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reruns: FYI I've heard every character has a different boss you have to fight when you make the bullet.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reruns: FYI I've heard every character has a different boss you have to fight when you make the bullet.

Correct, I didn't want to just say it for the sake of spoilers... also beating the game with each character unlocks a different item.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figured that part was a given with how how unlock heavy this game is :). I know since I've only put 8 hours in I've been going heavy with the Marine as he feels the easiest to learn the game with, but once I suck less I intend to start spreading out since I'll need to clear the game with everyone to get unlocks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.