Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 27, 2014

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight, is a 3DS remake of Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard. Announced for a Japanese release in 2014.

So this is way better than the first Etrian Odyssey Untold

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

I'm really impressed with this package. I never did get a chance to play much of Etrian Odyssey II, and what I did play was incredibly difficult. I played Etrian Odyssey Untold, which was an interesting remake of the first game, but the grimoire stones stuff didn't feel like a great addition. The story was also fine, but generic, and there was only one save spot, so I had to pick up front if I wanted the story or "classic" mode and would have to delete my save if I wanted to switch.

EO2U adds a stack of save slots, refines the grimoire stones, makes the learning curve completely manageable, and adds some really cool cooking/recipe mechanics, along with town building elements that were in Etrian Mystery Dungeon. If this is the track they're on, I'm curious to see how they're going to approach Etrian Odyssey III with the Untold series. Also, really pumped about EOV, whenever that comes out.

I know the grid-based dungeon crawlers aren't super popular 'round these parts, but anyone else check this out? I can't really find much chatter.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd be interested but I'm still behind on Etrian Odyssey 4 and Persona Q. I know I want to complete Persona Q before jumping itno any of these other dungeon crawlers.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Superkenon

Multiple save slots? Mother effin' finally. I'm the kind of guy who'd be starting new playthroughs of Etrian Odyssey all the damn time, but I don't ever want to erase my main files to do it. It makes me more excited than it probably should that they've finally added this. Hope it continues.

I actually just started playing through the first Untold, which had been sitting around awhile in my backlog (the impending release of EOUII of course spurred be to finally get it going). Though I'm not sure what to think about having all these talkative characters running around my EO yet, I'm enjoying what they've done. Since I played the first one back when it came out, it was cool the way they rope-a-doped me with that completely exact-same reconstruction of the first floor, only for the second floor to gradually and then suddenly be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. It was a cool subversion of my expectations. And then there was that unexpected new extra dungeon. It was a fun bit of fanservice to have Ren and Tlachtga join you for the tutorial part too. Has me hyped to see if EO2 does some interesting mixing of the familiar with the new as well.

I'm with you on the Grimoire Stones being kinda underwhelming though. What've they done to make them better this time around?

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I played a bit of the demo and it seemed neat. I always find these games really charming and I end up buying all of them but I'm never able to sink enough time into them. I think I'm still halfway through IV and just a few hours into the first Untold. Am I wrong or does the main character have a lot more dialogue options than in the first Untold? That was just the impression I got through playing some of the demo, it seemed like they were giving me more of an opportunity to shape my character's personality.

MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Multiple save slots? Mother effin' finally. I'm the kind of guy who'd be starting new playthroughs of Etrian Odyssey all the damn time, but I don't ever want to erase my main files to do it. It makes me more excited than it probably should that they've finally added this. Hope it continues.

I actually just started playing through the first Untold, which had been sitting around awhile in my backlog (the impending release of EOUII of course spurred be to finally get it going). Though I'm not sure what to think about having all these talkative characters running around my EO yet, I'm enjoying what they've done. Since I played the first one back when it came out, it was cool the way they rope-a-doped me with that completely exact-same reconstruction of the first floor, only for the second floor to gradually and then suddenly be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. It was a cool subversion of my expectations. And then there was that unexpected new extra dungeon. It was a fun bit of fanservice to have Ren and Tlachtga join you for the tutorial part too. Has me hyped to see if EO2 does some interesting mixing of the familiar with the new as well.

I'm with you on the Grimoire Stones being kinda underwhelming though. What've they done to make them better this time around?

That's really cool re: Atlus mixing it up w/map layouts. I knew that some maps were reasonably different in the Untold version. Was curious about the effect that might have on someone who played the original game.

Re: talking heads in an Etrian Odyssey game: yeah, I know what you mean. I want to say the dialogue is a bit better in EOUII? Or at least, there's some effort to make those sections a little more engaging if you're not feeling the writing or characters. I'm only on the 2nd stratum right with EOUII.

Re: Grimoire stones: one of the biggest changes for EOUII is that you open up and run a cafe within the city. In part, it serves the same function as the mansion in EOU, but it's also where you can develop new dishes which have different effects on your party (i.e. increase speed, increase material yields, add volt damage for the first round of attacks, increase poison resistance, etc.). Like the weapons, you get ingredients by killing monsters and harvesting, but they occupy a different space than monster parts that you sell at the shop. So you have to "solve" recipes by reading their descriptions and guessing the right ingredients. You can then advertise these recipes to different parts of the city to get more entals (which, thanks to the dialogue in EOUII, is apparently what the currency is called). Another aspect of this cafe is that it serves as the place where you can equip grimoire stones on your party (up to 3 slots unlock as you progress through the game) but you can also trade the random grimoire stones you receive in battle for higher-level versions from visiting adventurers. I think there's also a way to sell or break down unneeded stones, but I haven't had a chance to take a closer look at that. All of this rolls out slowly over the first stratum. Plus, I just feel like grimoire stones drop at a much more frequent rate.

@redyoshi said:

I played a bit of the demo and it seemed neat. I always find these games really charming and I end up buying all of them but I'm never able to sink enough time into them. I think I'm still halfway through IV and just a few hours into the first Untold. Am I wrong or does the main character have a lot more dialogue options than in the first Untold? That was just the impression I got through playing some of the demo, it seemed like they were giving me more of an opportunity to shape my character's personality.

Now that you mention it, yeah, there's way more opportunities to interact with your crew, and also pick how your character responds to things/voice how they feel about things. Plus, sometimes when you rest at the inn, there'll be a story beat where you get to know a character a bit better. They're all still mostly fantasy/anime tropes, but charming enough. It doesn't look like the dialogue options necessarily tie in to an approval meter or anything, but a few of the scenes reminded me of hanging out with friends in the Persona games, so I wonder if that might be on the table for EOV.

EOIV is the first of these games I managed to actually "finish" and I really liked it, but that required some on-and-off attention for over a year. I'll burn through a stratum or two and then let it ride for a bit and then come back. If it weren't on a portable device, I don't know that I'd have ever beaten it, since I could play while watching a movie or doing other stuff.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

February 2016, thanks atlus... as usual.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm going to check it out once it's not full price. I'm a bit of a budget gamer. Kinda have to be with my irl situation, so I don't do it to be stingy.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I picked this one up but haven't played a ton thanks to me telling myself I wouldn't get too far without finishing Persona Q, which I've been trying to force myself to play with mixed results (what I'm saying is that the later dungeons in that game are super puzzle-focused and annoying). There's also the original Untold, but I got to like the second stratum in that one before getting distracted or giving up so I'm not feeling too much backlog pressure from that one.

The addition of multiple save slots is something they should've done in IV, but the story party in Untold 2 seems more interesting than the first Untold, at least in a gameplay sense. These remakes are nice, but I wouldn't mind if they just made an Etrian Odyssey V already. IV is the only one I've actually seen all the way through (and I really liked that game. Enough so that I did all the post-game stuff) and I'd like that series to move forward instead of always looking back.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How much more story is there in these remakes compared to say...IV? I think I played the most of II and actually quite liked the spareness to the story.

MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater said:

I picked this one up but haven't played a ton thanks to me telling myself I wouldn't get too far without finishing Persona Q, which I've been trying to force myself to play with mixed results (what I'm saying is that the later dungeons in that game are super puzzle-focused and annoying). [...] These remakes are nice, but I wouldn't mind if they just made an Etrian Odyssey V already. IV is the only one I've actually seen all the way through (and I really liked that game. Enough so that I did all the post-game stuff) and I'd like that series to move forward instead of always looking back.

I'm in the same boat as you. I still haven't finished Persona Q. I think what I missed most from that game was side dungeons and exploring in the airship from EOIV. I get why that's not in there, but it means when I hit a wall, I've just hit a wall. I got to the post-game stuff in EOIV and was excited about some of the variety, but I haven't had a chance to go back to it. Kind of saving it for a weekend at some point. Especially since I think you can fight the dragons that periodically wreck house in the overworld.

@ichthy said:

How much more story is there in these remakes compared to say...IV? I think I played the most of II and actually quite liked the spareness to the story.

I feel like, from EOIII to EOIV there was more and more story added to the games. I found in those two games you're still just wandering the labyrinth, drawing maps, fighting monsters. Occasionally you'll come across an NPC and chat with them. At the start there's some exposition from whoever's running the town and occasional dramatic infodump after you beat a major boss. I didn't get deep enough into vanilla EOII to see how much of that was present. You can pick classic mode in the untold games, which, I suspect, means you won't have party members jabbering at you, since you'll be making your own party. Picking story mode in the untold games obviously adds a lot more text and dialogue and direction, but in EOU2, I haven't found the direction to be heavy handed. When you hit the second stratum, there's a sizeable chunk of a side dungeon you can explore, or you can push into the 2nd stratum. Nobody's really forcing you to do one or the other. Edit: I should note that I haven't tried classic mode in either Untold game, but with the extra save slots, I'm seriously considering starting a second playthrough.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.