Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Europa Universalis IV

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Aug 13, 2013

The newest game in Paradox Interactive's grand strategy franchise, focusing on Europe in the Age of Discovery.

Any advice for a starter?

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I just pre purchased EUIV mainly on the back of reading articles about the prior entries and watching a couple of YouTube videos of the games. I have never played any of the prior ones or Crusader Kings (I own EU Rome which I got in a steam sale it never played it). I love games like Total War and Civ, and I know the Europa games are their own unique thing, but I'm just wondering what advice you would have for a noob to these games. It came with Crusader Kings II also, but I figure I should just get into EUIV.

It doesn't unlock for 7 hours so I won't play it tonight/today but will prob get into it when I get home from work tomorrow.

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By capt_ventris

Welcome to the insanity!

Best thing I can say is play the tutorials. This time around the devs have spent a fair bit of time making them with a person new to the series in mind.

After that play play your first campaign as one of the big nations of the time. Going for England, France or Austria will give you a chance to get to grips with the all the mechanics required to play the game while at the same time, due to their relative strength, offering a more forgiving play experience then say starting out as a historically unlucky one province nation. Might be a good idea for a first play thorough to set the difficulty setting at "easy" too.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I just pre purchased EUIV mainly on the back of reading articles about the prior entries and watching a couple of YouTube videos of the games. I have never played any of the prior ones or Crusader Kings (I own EU Rome which I got in a steam sale it never played it). I love games like Total War and Civ, and I know the Europa games are their own unique thing, but I'm just wondering what advice you would have for a noob to these games. It came with Crusader Kings II also, but I figure I should just get into EUIV.

It doesn't unlock for 7 hours so I won't play it tonight/today but will prob get into it when I get home from work tomorrow.

Have you watched these videos? I think he does quite a good job^^

Loading Video...

But in general you really need to play this game because it is very very complex and you need many tries to actually understand this game. Stuff like total war is a joke compared to the complexity of this series

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Fearbeard

These games usually have a slow learning curve. What really helped me in Crusader Kings 2 was watching some youtube tutorials.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Quills on YouTube does some fantastic tutorials and lets plays for strategy games I recommend watching him play some. I'm honestly just getting into strategy gaming myself its a little overwhelming!

You should play CK2 for a bit I believe saved progress from that carries over into Europa 4 which sounds amazing. If all this carries I over to Victoria and Hearts of Iron you will be able to play from 1001-1947 that would be insane!

Good luck I know I still have tons to learn before I feel I can really enjoy these games.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm planning on taking my time. I have some work to do tonight but might give some of those other YouTube videos a watch. I think that in terms of PC gaming I'm getting much more into this style of strategy over RTS. As I said, civ and total war have always been some of my favourites but this looks nuts

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm planning on taking my time. I have some work to do tonight but might give some of those other YouTube videos a watch. I think that in terms of PC gaming I'm getting much more into this style of strategy over RTS. As I said, civ and total war have always been some of my favourites but this looks nuts

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By capt_ventris

Think I will be putting in quite a few hours of this. If you want feel free to hit me up with any "What the hell does this do?" questions http://steamcommunity.com/id/lucianventris/

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Hello and welcome to the Universalis series! I only started playing with EU2, but I fell in love with it almost immediately. Everyone here so far has given you some good suggestions. The videos really can give you some insight at least into where to start looking. They are correct though in that the best way to learn is to play.

I've found that a lot of people make the common mistake of trying to do too much too quickly right at the start of the game and find their treasury, diplomats, merchant's, and missionaries depleted and then sit around waiting to do anything. Just be patient and pick some simple goals until you decide to be more aggressive.

I also recommend getting into the Multiplayer! In the past these games are very fun when played with other people, especially in co-op mode. If you like you can always track me down on Steam as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.