Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

1 Week in EVE: Don't Fly What You Can't Lose

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

Edited By MikeLemmer

"Yeah, this looks like World of Warcraft and plays like every MMO since... well, World of Warcraft."

My download of EVE Online completed while I was watching the WildStar QuickLook, an interesting coincidence and counter-point to all the MMOs chasing the 600-lb gorilla. EVE Online generates stories of backstabbers & warmongers that bewilder outsiders. However, a Bomber told me about a 14-day free trial on it and invited me to it; I took a deep breath and dived in.

I decided to try a crazy path for this crazy game: mining. I would make my ISK by mining.

No Caption Provided

My initial two days were spent going through the tutorial missions & figuring out the basics. I was getting plenty of equipment and basic ships from them, but it was also boring. I wanted to get into the crazy parts of EVE. So I contacted KiteCo, the GiantBomb corp on EVE, and requested an invitation. I quickly got accepted and they invited me to their station in NullSec (the Wild West of EVE; bring your own protection).

"So, how do I get my stuff over there?"

"Don't; you're going to be blown up along the way. Just sell it for as much ISK as you can, set your clone respawn for the House of Pancakes, and blow yourself up."

On a whim, I decided to try flying my escape pod there instead, through two dozen low/no-security systems. Somehow, I made it in one piece.

No Caption Provided

KiteCo's House of Pancakes station is located on the border between our alliance (Brave Newbies) and the Northern Coalition, an EVE superpower who sees us as easy pickings. Hostiles fly through the system constantly and there's fights every other hour. Once I dock at the station, they start hammering home the survival tips:

"Don't fly what you can't lose. You will lose ships. You will lose a lot of ships. Some because you're new, some because of bad luck. Don't blow all your money on one ship. Don't fly what you can't lose. Got it?

"Always keep an eye on Local Chat. If there's a hostile in system, he'll always show up on Local Chat.

"The moment you see a hostile, run back to station and dock before you get blown up.

"Neutrals are hostile."

With that, I got to mining.

-----

There is no minimal level for zones in EVE. You can make a profit in the most dangerous NullSec sectors with a starter ship if you're careful. There's no experience grinding, either. Experience goes up as time passes, whether you're logged in or not. (It also encourages you to keep subscribing; you're still gaining experience from it even if you barely log on.) Money, or ISK, is the largest issue for beginners. Luckily, most of our alliance's members were willing or even eager to toss ISK at newbies for just about anything. "Lost a mining ship? Here, take 2mil and buy a replacement." "Need a logi ship for the assault tomorrow? Here, have 10mil."

I learned later they just had that much cash on them. "Once you get rolling, it's easy to make money in NullSec. It's rough getting started, though. We like to encourage newbies to stick around. Warm bodies are more valuable than ISK here."

-----

I lost my first mining frigate to a supercarrier. I was trying to pass through a warpgate when it warped on top of me and blew me to smithereens. When I posted the kill report to KiteCo, the others burst out laughing.

"Oh, that's amazing! You got killed by a supercarrier!"

"Why's that so funny?!"

"He must be bored. He probably spent more on ammo killing you than your ship was worth."

"I still don't find it very funny."

"Here, have some ISK for a new mining frigate."

"Alright, I can find it a bit funny now."

-----

"So, what's the easiest way to get back to HiSec space?" It had been days since I left the starting area in HiSec space for NullSec, and I wanted to head back to buy some new skill books for training. Unfortunately, that passed through a dozen hostile systems; I hadn't managed to get through them unscathed again.

"Simple: just set your clone respawn for there then blow yourself up. We call it the Pod Express."

A moment later, I left my ship at base, flew to the sun with my capsule / escape pod, and set the Self-Destruct.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I woke up back in HiSec, trained the skills I needed, then set my respawn for the House of Pancakes and blew myself up again. I've died more often fast-traveling than in actual combat. Doctor McCoy would have a fit.

-----

I saw the assault notification just a few hours before it started: KiteCo was blowing up abandoned enemy stations in a nearby sector to solidify Brave Newbies' control of the sector. I asked for a loan from the alliance to quickly put together a support ship for the assault; I got 5x as much ISK as I asked for. I quickly threw together a rough support build and waited for the assault to begin.

No Caption Provided

Unfortunately, there wasn't much need for support in a fight against abandoned stations. I ended up taking weak potshots at the station while everyone else bombed it. On the other hand, I was still participating in "endgame PvP" with dozens of other players. It didn't matter that I had a weak ship & almost no experience. "The more warm bodies, the better."

I had to leave halfway through it due to work, got ambushed by enemy campers on the other side of the stargate and had my new ship blown to smithereens. "Note to self: don't leave fleets early."

-----

That Sunday, our Alliance leaders held a "fireside chat" in our Mumble chat.about our conquest of the Catch region. The chat was preceded by this announcement:

"Attention all enemy spies! We are about to start an alliance chat in here; please leave before you are bored to death."

The big topic of the chat was our transition from invading & conquering to building up our infrastructure and securing Catch from the enemies constantly invading it to skirmish. Diplomatic relationships with other nearby alliances were discussed, a black ops corp was welcomed into the fold, and they said the minutes to a council meeting would be posted shortly.

Half of the items on the minutes were blacked out.

-----

A week after I joined, a mysterious short-notice assault alert popped up on the calendar. It looked like it would be a short PvP assault, so I signed up for it.

Instead, an hour later I had gathered up with over a hundred Brave Newbies and jumped over a dozen systems away from our home turf. They still hadn't explained exactly what we were going to do when our Fleet Commander spoke up:

"Alright! Before we continue further, please set these alliances to Blue status temporarily! Northern Coalition..."

I typed out in fleet chat to the other members: "Wait, aren't we always fighting them?"

"Yes, but not this time."

"Who do we hate enough to ally with NC against?"

"Guess."

A few minutes later, we leapt into the next system, where a NC titan was waiting to jump us to the next system...

No Caption Provided

...Where we grouped up with several other alliances, all with the same goal: destroy a Goonswarm-allied Titan under construction. "PREPARE TO MAKE CONTENT!"

I had to log out for the main combat, but when I returned there was a thousand ships running around in the same system, EVE's Time Dilation had dropped us to 75% of real-time to avoid melting the server, and we were wiping out a few disconnected enemies before calling a retreat. I learned I was the only surviving support ship in the fleet, thanks to missing the main battle.

As we warped back, we ran into a Goonswarm mop-up fleet that outnumbered us. A few ships managed to distract them long enough for the rest of us to escape to a nearby neutral station and hunker down, logging off for a half-hour to hope they got bored and left.

When I logged back in, I realized I was a few minutes too late; the rest of the fleet had already left and I was a dozen jumps behind enemy lines. I quickly charted an alternate route back home to avoid the main mop-up fleet and managed to outrun the few loners who tried to tackle me. Somehow, I made it back with my ship intact.

I had only been playing for a week, yet I had already gotten exposed to the politics of EVE and participated in two large assaults, including one that made the headlines of The Mittani. Although it takes months to gain the ISK and skills necessary to pilot the giant capital ships, EVE has the lowest barrier to endgame PvP content I've ever seen. All you need is a warm body and a frigate to participate.

"Just remember: don't fly what you can't afford to lose."

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Turambar

You lost your first ship to a class of ships I have yet to actually see in game after a year of play.

(For those that don't know, super carriers are the second most expensive class of ships in the game after the much vaunted Titans)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I heard about this! Sounds like fun. Unfortunately I had to stop playing because I couldn't see the UI text on my display even scaled up 150%.

kinggiddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By kinggiddra
    @mb said:

I heard about this! Sounds like fun. Unfortunately I had to stop playing because I couldn't see the UI text on my display even scaled up 150%.

General Settings -> Context Menu Fontsize

That can also help. As I'm sure you're aware the game is pretty information dense, so I can definitely see how this could be a problem.

I would also suggest running the game at a lower resolution might help!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woa nice write up duder .... cool of the truckers to help you out so much :D

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pretty proud of this guy. I wasn't expecting a blog this well put together from someone so new. I'm glad to see you're learning things and having cool experiences.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woa nice write up duder .... cool of the truckers to help you out so much :D

Actually, a lot of help came from the BRAVE alliance and its allies, too.There's a whole slew of people in it willing to help out novices. It's cheap to finance by their standards, yet turns newbies into loyal alliance members. Like I said, warm bodies are more important than ISK. The SOUND alliance has also been a great help; it's an ally of BRAVE, and their base has provided a lot of cheap modules for newbies.

As I'll detail in my next entry, getting new items isn't just about buying them off the auction house & picking them up in the mail; getting stuff from Point A to Point B is a huge issue, and most items in our space are 2-4x as expensive as they are in HighSec because we need to import most of it through hostile space. A big priority of solidizing our control over Catch is driving costs down by building up a manufacturing base & protecting our miners/industrialists from gankers.

BenLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I approve this message.

lmorchard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lmorchard
    @turambar said:

You lost your first ship to a class of ships I have yet to actually see in game after a year of play.

This is something Brave Newbies is really good for. Can only fly an Atron (ie. a really low-level ship)? Don't care, get in fleet and take the Titan bridge to hot drop supers and die gloriously. Tackle something if you can. Can't afford an Atron? Here, have 5, they're small. The main downside to Brave is that it's kind of a drunken monkey house at times, but there is an attempt to stay classier than your usual average toxic gaming lobby.

I've tried to get into EVE probably 21 days out of every year for the past 7, and it only finally stuck last year when I join up with Brave Newbies. The game is really about people. The CCP-provided content is just kind of there to get you started, but it gets super boring fast. Really, what they've done is try to get out of the way as much as possible to people can jump in and do random & fun things with internet spaceships.

SadisticWOlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By SadisticWOlf

Wow, awesome post Dave!

Ark4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That was really well written. Loved it. :)

MittinsKittens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, Awesome story @mikelemmer. Do want to say something though.
    You're not just flying in Kite Co. with Brave Alliance, You're also flying with a collation called H.E.R.O (Hopefully Effective Rookie Organization) which is a collection of Alliances that fly together. Currently, the list of Alliances that are in Hero are:-

Brave Collective (The Alliance you're actually in)
    Test Alliance Please Ignore (The Alliance I'm in)
    Spaceship Samurai
    Bloodline
    Of Sound Mind

Granted, Most of the Collation is made up of Brave Collective, but I'm willing to bet that the rest of the collation for the forced Titan abortion attempt put some pretty solid numbers into the fleet :)

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Test Alliance Please Ignore (The Alliance I'm in)

SPAI! SPAI!

daruna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey man, glad you're having fun. I'm a part of the "bad guys" in your eyes, a member of Pandemic Legion. Most people would give up claiming EVE is "hopeless" after the first or second death but you seem to be sticking it out okay.

As for the death to the supercarrier, you probably got smartbombed by the guy. Supercarrier drones have a hard time hitting ships smaller than battleships without some form of assistance, but a smartbomb is an instant-damage AOE module, and any supercarrier worth their salt has an officer-flavour smartbomb that has a large damage radius.

Keep at it duder

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Damn! That was exciting to read! This makes me want to jump into EVE so badly. The political aspect of this just makes it so intriguing, and hearing it from your perspective just made it seem that much more exciting. Can't wait to read you're other write ups!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.