Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

4 Weeks in Eve: Taswell vs the Russians

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

Edited By MikeLemmer

1 Week in EVE: Don't Fly What You Can't Lose

2 Weeks in EVE: Economic PvP

3 Weeks in EVE: The Long Haul

Right after writing my last article, I suggested my own roam: "Why don't I outfit a mining barge to bait enemies into attacking it, then grab attackers while the rest of the fleet jumps in to kill them?" Debate and suggestions broke out amongst Kite Co. about the best way to proceed while we slowly got about 10 ships into the fleet. Just before we were ready to roll out, a 10-man enemy fleet jumped into our system, intent on attacking BOVRIL mining space further in.

Us: "Oh, hey, someone brought content to us."

Them: "...Wait, you're all undocked?"

*pregnant pause*

*hell breaks loose*

The original intent of the roam was quickly forgotten as we chased them all the way to BOVRIL, back to CZK, and straight through BPA space into the waiting jaws of a SOUND defense fleet.

That's a pretty good analogy for how the last week has gone in Catch.

-----

I had a plan for this last weekly EVE update: now that I had cut my teeth on survival in NullSec and small fleet skirmishes, I would learn about commanding fleets and end my 1st month in EVE by leading my own small fleet on a roam.

EVE quickly overturned those plans. CFC (Goonswarm & Co) began deploying in Delve; N3 (Northern Coalition and Co) deployed there in response. The common N3 raids into our region of space slowed to a trickle... only to be replaced by a torrent of Russians.

The Russian alliance of AAA were the former owners of Catch. N3, being no friends of the Russians, had helped our HERO coalition drive them out of Catch. Now that N3 was deployed elsewhere in preparation for the brewing annual Summer War with CFC, AAA saw a chance to pay HERO back for taking their space. They were pissed, and they brought friends.

Things have been hot ever since. Every day brings a new timer on a starbase we need to defend or a blockade unit we need to take down. Fleets of 100+ go out daily to protect our new homeland. The previous N3 raids were a warmup compared to this; the Russians had a bone to pick with us, and CFC was eager to hop in on the glory.

-----

The first strategic-operation was 6 AM EST on a Sunday morning; the Russians had hit one of our starbases in an allied system hard, dropping it into Reinforce mode, and we needed to defend it once it came out of Reinforcement. Reinforcement is EVE's way of ensuring alliances don't lose starbases and systems before they can react: once a starbase or hub's shields are dropped to 25%, it becomes invulnerable until a set time the next day. Normally this time is set for the defender's busiest hours, so it can field a robust defense fleet. However, Reinforcement consumes Strontium fuel; if you don't have enough Strontium stored in the starbase, it drops out of Reinforcement early. And since this was a remote starbase, it was barely fueled... thus it only had enough Strontium to stay Reinforced until our wee morning hours, which was late night for the Russians. We would have to defend that starbase at one of our weakest hours (and one of the Russians' strongest).

Although we matched the Russians for numbers (100 vs 100), they were an older alliance and could field more advanced ships than most of us. After a half-hour of skirmishing, our fleet commander called for a withdrawal; we couldn't stop them from destroying the starbase with the forces we had. Morale was low on the trek back.

Standoff at the Starbase
    Standoff at the Starbase

"...Is this how we lose Catch?"

"Maybe we need to call N3 on the batphone."

"No, we can do this by ourselves. We can afford to lose this starbase. Save the batphone for an emergency."

-----

The Russian invasions alongside their CFC allies have forced me (and a lot of other HERO newbros) to reevaluate our relationship with N3. When I started a month ago, they were the annoying neighbors constantly roaming into Catch, hotdropping on miners, and blowing up any HERO ships they came across. But they didn't want our territory. The Russians wanted our territory badly, and they had CFC support. The only coalition that could fight on even terms with CFC was N3. Old grudges were put aside and N3 became a frenemy. Even INK, an N3-alliance who had tried to capture one of our systems weeks ago (see Week 2), threw their hat into the ring alongside us.

But why did N3 help a future enemy capture territory? Why did CFC, for the most part, step back and let their Russian allies get conquered? Content.

Alliances have to generate two things for their members: money and Content. Money is self-explanatory, but Content requires good enemies to fight on a daily basis. CFC and N3, the two biggest coalitions, have both signed treaties limiting how much they can interfere with each other, and attacks against each other carry the risk of escalating into humongous battles that wipe out spaceships worth billions of ISK. Neither side has such restrictions against HERO, and most members of HERO welcome the excitement.

HERO grabbed a foothold in Catch because it promised Content to the larger coalitions. Now with the Summer War gearing up, the Russians want revenge and CFC might want Catch as a staging grounds into N3 space. It remains to be seen whether CFC values Catch more as a foothold or a content-generator, but N3 prefers our content & would rather not let CFC get such a foothold, so they remain on our side for now. HERO survives just as much off our diplomacy & providing Content for the other coalitions as it does off our military prowess.

-----

Hours later, I returned to the former starbase's location to see what had happened. I expected to see a Russian starbase up; instead, I saw a Black Pearl Alliance starbase there. I messaged my contact within the BPA and asked what happened.

"After the Russians began constructing their starbase, we called in N3 backup, blew it up, and set our own starbase in its place. Did you think we'd let an enemy starbase get constructed in our backyard?"

When I relayed this news to Kite Co, they began howling with laughter.

"They set up a starbase and forgot to place the Strontium Tank first! Oh, this is too rich!"

Apparently the starbase should have gone into Reinforcement, giving the Russians a chance to defend it, but since they hadn't put any Strontium into it, it got blown up immediately. The Russians had made a bone-headed mistake just like we did. You may recall the Battle of B-R5RB (aka the costliest EVE battle to date) started because of an unpaid bill. Taking & holding territory in EVE reminds me of startup procedure in a flight simulator: if you don't do everything on the checklist, things fail spectacularly.

-----

Two days later, another strat-op launched out of our homebase of V-3 to destroy a Russian starbase being set up in a neighboring system. This was my first true large-scale battle; what started as a 100 vs 25 fight in our favor turned into 1 fleet vs 2 fleets, and then an INK fleet came to help us, and then- well honestly, things got confusing once there were more than 300 ships in the system. All of the fleets were jockeying for position in space, escaping to regroup and catch their breath, setting up stealth bomber runs, and past a certain point I just began focusing on my short-term goals of "shield-boost allies so they don't get killed". Naturally, being one of the fleet's "healers" made me a prime target; I lost 2 ships in that fight. The first time, I warped back to V-3, grabbed a spare fully-outfitted ship I had "just in case", and warped back into the fight. The second time, I called it a night.

"Incoming content."

Although I... think it was a loss for us (I'm not sure if we accomplished our goal of blowing up the starbase amidst all the carnage), it was my first big fleet brawl and I managed to save a few ships from premature destruction. The basic combat of EVE is quite simple compared to WoW: each ship usually has just one set of guns, some drones, a group of defensive or electronic warfare modules, and propulsion to turn on or off. Using those basic functions in a hectic fleet battle where you have to listen to target calls, lock onto multiple ships, keep track of distances to them, and watch for enemy ships targeting you, warp bubbles preventing you from escaping, and the occasional bombing run is much more complex. And then there's the preparation, planning, and spying that goes on around the battle itself...

No Caption Provided

"They used those ship types because they knew it was a good counter to our ship doctrine," a fellow KiteCo member explained. (Ship doctrines are standardized fleet makeups that work well together.) "You can be sure they have a spy or two in the fleet as well, relaying our primary targets to their support commander so they can start shield-boosting our targets before we fire. It makes it much harder to win these fights." 'Everyone's a spy' is a common joke in EVE, but it's often true.

"These fights would be so much easier if we practiced decent OpSex..."

"Wait, you mean OpSec?"

"Er..."

"First rule of OpSex: never tell your lover your name."

"Har har, very funny. But no, just figure there's always someone listening in for the enemy side, and don't tell people anything they don't need to know. Loose lips sink ships."

Any thoughts he might be a tad too paranoid were dismissed the next day, when I read a piece by Mittani (the de facto leader of CFC) detailing how his spies utterly frustrated an enemy's war against them by putting minor errors in their shared intel spreadsheet.

-----

The next day, an urgent call-to-arms hit our mailbox. "AAA is on the verge of destroying an ally's hub within the next day. We will not let that happen. If you can be there, be there. Do not run personal fleets during this strat-op or Military Command will rip you to shreds."

I joined early in another support ship and waited for the fleet to launch. So many people joined we had to split it into two fleets, and we were going to meet two other fleets there. By the time we were set up in the target system, there were over 500 allied ships in the system. We waited for the enemy to arrive...

...And nobody came. We saw 1-2 scouts which quickly hightailed it out; apparently the Russians decided they didn't like those odds and didn't even show up to the battle. We spent 2 hours destroying the Russians' blockade units and restoring the hub's armor & shields, suffering the occasional bombing run by a half-dozen Russian stealth bombers that destroyed a lot of drones but barely damaged us. In the end, the strat-op was declared a success.

No Caption Provided

"The best battle is the one you don't have to fight. Good turn-out, folks, we're proud of you. Don't worry if you didn't see any action today; I'm sure we've got plenty of fights left with the Russians in the future."

-----

Later, I learned a string of hit-and-run skirmishes had broken out between one of our larger roaming fleets and the Russians. An INK fleet arrived at the scene as reinforcements, scaring the Russians off except for a few scouts. The 2 fleet commanders agreed to lure out the Russians by having both fleets fire on each other. The Russians believed we were resuming hostilities and jumped back into system to take advantage of it. As soon as they revealed themselves, both fleets turned their firepower on them. We lost 4 billion ISK worth of ships, they lost 22 billion ISK worth, including a Carrier. Just from a random fight and a dirty trick.

I didn't participate in that, but man, I wish I had!

-----

With that, we come to today. My plans to lead a fleet of my own have been delayed by the Russians, but in the meantime I've learned about (and participated in) large-scale battles and defending territory. I am on the verge of learning the skills necessary to upgrade my support ship by a tier. I have 20+ combat-ready ships stored at 3 different stations. And I've just learned that Kite Co. has set up a new homebase dedicated to the late, great Ryan Davis. I'll probably spend the weekend moving my stuff from Pancake House to Point Taswell, in between helping with the defensive strat-ops, and once that's done it's back to mining ice for profit and fuel blocks. I'm not sure how long it'll be before something else rocks the boat, though; there's already rumors of Drama, and who knows what the Russians do next.

For now, though, I'll just take a moment to enjoy a view of the new station...

Point Taswell
    Point Taswell

With that, I wrap up my first month's impression of EVE. I've jumped from miner to missile gunship to trader to support ship to combat-ready miner. I've made contacts in 3 different alliances, had a fleet commander compliment me personally, and talked resources and economics with over a half-dozen people. I've lost 43 ships in combat, actually died 15 times in combat, and participated in several dozen skirmishes. And I have no idea what'll happen next.

EVE is a strangely fascinating MMO with long bouts of grinding punctuated by debates on economics, politics, espionage, counter-espionage, tactics, and the occasional explosion(s). The deeper you dive into it, the more you get out of it. And you can dive deep quickly. I don't know when I'll come back out, but until then, I'm going into OPSEC and REDACTING all my info.

See you around Catch. 7o

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Another great one! You should keep this going. It's a good way to keep in touch with big news of Kite Co.! Plus I really enjoy reading them, keep up the good work!

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

As always a great read. Thankyou

LassieME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I really wish you keep these going, they're great. Thank you for the read.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Mortuss_Zero

Wow. That, as everything EVE related that makes it's way to this site, was surprisingly exciting.

Alick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

this is the wroooooong forum to ask this but is gb still in gw2?

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@alick said:

this is the wroooooong forum to ask this but is gb still in gw2?

Why don't you check or ask in the forum for GW2?

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Wow, I played EVE on and off for six months and never got exposed to any of that.

It actually seems like an exciting game when you're writing about it, though. Keep it up!

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

Wow, I played EVE on and off for six months and never got exposed to any of that.

It actually seems like an exciting game when you're writing about it, though. Keep it up!

It... actually isn't. I've been pondering exactly how to explain this for a while, so here goes:

It's like war: long periods of not much happening punctuated by explitives and explosions. Most of the ISK-making activities, like mining and ratting, are mostly passive; as long as you keep an eye on Local Chat and the Overview, I can watch GiantBomb videos while mining. PvP is the exciting parts, and that can happen at nearly any time.

But there's also times you expect PvP to happen but don't get it; structure-bashing can be contested, but it usually isn't, and you end up spending 1-2 hours just shooting at a building. But it's not just shooting at a building... you have scouts keeping an eye on neighboring systems to see if anyone's coming in to attack, fleet commanders organizing ammo runs from a nearby station (because the ships themselves can't hold enough ammo to take down a structure), and there's always the threat of an enemy fleet warping in to kill you (or just send in a few stealth bombers to exploit people not paying attention).

The key is that the (normally) slow pace of EVE encourages people to get invested in long-term plotting and scheming. Since I started playing, there's been dozens of discussions on economics, politics, espionage, jumpbridge placement, which ships counter enemy fleets best, the performance of fleet commanders, where we should build starbases next, etc. That stuff, as well as the ensuing relationships/connections between thousands of players, is the real appeal of EVE. It doesn't have the minute-to-minute excitement of WoW, but EVE's weekend recaps are much more interesting than, "I ran 15 dungeons and 2 raids, we killed the same bosses as we did last week and I got a new piece of equipment."

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EVE is fun, I spent a good part of two years in EVE, piloting freighters, making several billion trading, etc.

But I got kinda bored since doing PvP is "who you know" and I didn't know any of the right people.

kinggiddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@corvak said:

EVE is fun, I spent a good part of two years in EVE, piloting freighters, making several billion trading, etc.

But I got kinda bored since doing PvP is "who you know" and I didn't know any of the right people.

That is exactly why Kite Co. exists. For Duders By Duders (FDBD).

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

May I just say how amazing these blogs have been. I really enjoyed them, despite not knowing what some of the stuff you were talking about (i.e. V-3). I just wanted to commend you for some amazing writing, and truly captivating story-telling. I really enjoyed them, and was curious if we might see anymore EVE stories in the future from you. I enjoyed the crazy battle stories to normal everyday mining ones so whatever you want to share I would love to read. Thanks again for a great read!

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Renahzor

@mattadord: EVE online is divided into "High Sec" where attacking other people brings the space police, Low Sec Where only stargate and station defenses will protect you, and Nullsec where anything goes, wild west style. While all the lowsec and highsec star systems have names, very few nullsec systems have names(and there are hundreds upon hundreds of them). They are assigned a 5 character alpha-numeric designation almost always with one dash in the name. This is long to say over voice coms when time and understanding are critical(9GYL-0 = nine gee why el tack zero, for example) so we typically shorten it to 3 characters unless it has some way to pronounce the system otherwise (Nine guy for the above example).

In this case, V-3 actually has 3 different possible systems that start with those characters, but he's referring to one in the Catch region since that's where we lived, meaning he's talking about V-3YG7, one of more popular systems our alliance used to live in and around. Thus ends your boring eve lesson of the afternoon.

Edit to add: You can see the system, constellation, and region designation in the top left corner of Dave's screenshots, though no one used the constellation info really.

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renahzor: Ah thanks that helped. I was trying to figure out if V-3 was another alliance or something. Thanks for lesson I appreciate it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.