Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

EVE Online turns limited Free-To-Play

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Acura_Max

This November Eve Online will turn free to play after being a subscription based game for 13 years. Players will be grouped into two groups: Alpha and Omega. Existing Subscribers will in the Omega group and will have access to all the content. Free to Play people will be grouped into the the Alpha group and will have certain skills locked out. The skills they do have allow them to fly early-game Frigates, Destroyers and Cruisers.

Players who stop subscribing will revert to Alpha status and can get their skills unlocked if they re-subscribe. A more detailed description of the Alpha/Omega changes can be found on the EVE devblog.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/31/eve-online-going-free-to-play-after-13-years

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not exactly "free to play", seems more like a limited access, like WoW has (had?) up to a certain level/treshold.

LtTibbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm curious how this will affect the price of plex

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

As someone who has always admired EVE from afar and been fascinated with it, this seems like a really smart move. It's the perfect gateway to get people like me to dip their toes in and at least try it out. Even with how cheap game time has been during steam sales and such recently, I still haven't actually dropped money into trying it because the game just scares me. A low commitment way to try it out and get a feel for the systems seems like the perfect idea to expand their market.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imhungry said:

As someone who has always admired EVE from afar and been fascinated with it, this seems like a really smart move. It's the perfect gateway to get people like me to dip their toes in and at least try it out. Even with how cheap game time has been during steam sales and such recently, I still haven't actually dropped money into trying it because the game just scares me. A low commitment way to try it out and get a feel for the systems seems like the perfect idea to expand their market.

Definetely, though I tried it years ago and even then there was an option to try it out for free, for a couple of days or something. It's not a game for me, but I am a big fan at the same time...

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ajamafalous

This is really neat. My roommates in college were way into EVE and I tried a seven day trial at the time, but the 'game' part of it didn't stick with me enough to want to pay for it at all. Maybe I'd actually end up getting into it if I got to play for an extended period of time?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7 fisk0  Moderator

I wonder if it'll be feasible for Alpha users to ever afford a PLEX to become Omega users using only frigates?

Bratcher_Lev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is actually geared toward me as well. I bought EO super cheap on steam and played enough during my original allotted time to start to get a glimmer of what the big deal was, but not enough to look past the giant mountain I would have to climb, not to mention paying somebody every month for the opportunity to do so. If I had a chance to get in there and feel things out at my own pace I bet I'd be more inclined to dive head first (or climb head first to follow the previous metaphor, though it doesn't really work that way, unless you want to die. )

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, this is nice. Last time I checked this game out was for a couple of weeks about 8 years ago, but I didn't have the time to commit. I wonder if my character is still around.

KTLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just started playing since the game went F2P, but the "giantbombing" chat appears to be dead. Am I doing something wrong? Are duders in a different chat these days?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ktlk: Hmm, I haven't logged in since like April myself but there were people around in that chat when I was playing. They could have maybe gotten another chat for duders that maybe they'd PM you the info for (people get crazy about opsec). Also while I played that chat was kinda dead most of the time, since Kite Co. was disbanded and people went their separate ways, people I think tended to stick with their people in their new groups. From what I remember the giantbomb chat tended to be pleasantries with some newbies like myself asking questions now and then; again with opsec and people being on different sides of the war it wasn't too busy in there. That said I talked to some cool duders on both sides :)

That said I'm sure there's GB people still playing, and I think you should keep going! Join one of the new-player friendly groups like Pandemic Horde and go try living out in nullsec.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.