Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

Leading GB through EVE Online

Avatar image for michael_boltoniii
    Michael_BoltonIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Michael_BoltonIII

So I've been trying to get a hold of the GB guys, with no luck so far, but I keep hearing that they want someone to give them a guided tour through/serve as an ambassador too EVE Online.

I'm pretty much the guy to do it. In game my name is Michael BoltonIII, I'm one of the diplomats and defacto IRL PR guy for Test Alliance Please Ignore, the second largest alliance in the game and way cooler than crusty old goonswarm because we are only 2 years old. I'm one of the fresh faces in the game and can be seen as a presenter at most of the big player events in the last 2 years.

Me at Fanfest 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVpAgMYAA7M, 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gvo08_uYjHI#t=2434s , Alliance Tournament IX: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEC08E688567AD3C9&feature=plcp, and Soon to be Alliance Tournament X: http://community.eveonline.com/en/tournament/

I'd love to take the GB guys + anybody else who wants to come on a tour of EVE, I can even almost certainly get the lead devs for the game in on the tour as well. If anybody can do more than I have been able too through twitter and messages then I would really appreciate it. Help me out if you'd love to see an Eve Online Quick Look like I would.

Anupsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Anupsis

That's a great idea man, I hope you can get a hold of them. I tried it a few years ago and I went into mining but could not stick with it. I'm sure ill try again someday.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

They're pretty busy right now with E3 and all, but when they get back...maybe?

PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PokeIkzai

I hope one of the guys takes you up on the offer. EVE sounds like a wonderful game that's just brave enough to be its own thing in the MMOverse.

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By ColinWright

That would probably be the coolest thing ever. 

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Kyle

I am dying to see something like this happen.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CaptainCody

This would be fantastic.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By connerthekewlkid

i already play the game on a regular basis but id love to go on a tour :D

Rongaryen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Rongaryen

It would be crime against Man if Dave wasn't part of this tour and recorded a Quicklook of it.

Michael_BoltonIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking of giving them accounts with pre-skilled characters (Don't tell the devs) and putting them in charge of a couple hundred person fleet. They'd be giving all the commands and orders with no idea what was going on, it would be amazing.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By rapid

This would be interesting indeed, after all the things I have heard 3rd handed from the Bombcast about what happens in Eve.

I'm sure someone at GB would interested, now that E3 is done they will be less busy and will have time to look into cool features and stuff like this.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EchoEcho

This needs to happen, by any means necessary. You hear that, -- get the guys on this.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

@Michael_BoltonIII said:

I was thinking of giving them accounts with pre-skilled characters (Don't tell the devs) and putting them in charge of a couple hundred person fleet. They'd be giving all the commands and orders with no idea what was going on, it would be amazing.

That would be a terrifically beautiful waste of ISK and ships and I approve.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Trilogy

I don't understand EVE at all but like many others, the little I know has always peaked my interest. I'm not sure how the crew would feel about something like this but I would love to see it. Your best bet is to contact Dave Snider about it. He played EVE and is probably your best bet to get something like that going.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By ch3burashka

@Claude said:

They're pretty busy right now with E3 and all, but when they get back...maybe?

NEVER.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#16  Edited By Sin4profit

@Michael_BoltonIII: i'd really like to see this happen. Maybe closer to the release of Dust 514 when the EVE name becomes more relevant to the public again and GB has settled down more after E3

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TruthTellah

@Michael_BoltonIII: You and the Test Alliance Please Ignore kind of seem like idiots, but I think your idea is fantastic. So, more power to you. It would be amazing to get some ships under the command of the bomb squad for a Quick Look or two. Perhaps maybe even an extended "Random PC Game" video.

I wish you the best of luck in getting their attention now that E3 is over. Let's make this happen!

Chumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chumm

Sharing those links is not a great way to drum up interest, though I'm sure you're very proud of calling yourself "Lord of the Faggots" and stumbling drunk onstage.

Michael_BoltonIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chumm said:

Sharing those links is not a great way to drum up interest, though I'm sure you're very proud of calling yourself "Lord of the Faggots" and stumbling drunk onstage.

These are traits that actually are highly valued in Eve. Let me put it this way, both of those clips were the reason the COMPANY THAT MAKES THE GAME picked me as a representative and EVE EXPERT. This is what makes eve a great game.

Also, it's important to note that the yearly player gathering in Iceland is pretty much all about being Stumbling Drunk and Homoerotic activities. Just to give you and idea, This is a picture of some of the most important people in Eve Online http://i.imgur.com/SLNIe.jpg, I'm passed out drunk inside the room with the Icicle lights.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@TruthTellah said:

@Michael_BoltonIII: You and the Test Alliance Please Ignore kind of seem like idiots, but I think your idea is fantastic. So, more power to you.

EVE is an amazing game, if you consider it a video game, but unfortunately CCP are a bunch of fuckwits and most of the leading members of the community are a very special brand of Bad People. 
    And I advise just about everyone to watch their step around a ClusterFuck Coalition member. (Although, true to the game's form, most of the CFC's enemies are even worse in their own way.)
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By ajamafalous

Several of my roommates and friends play EVE so it's always a little weird to hear the crew talk about it. I'd absolutely love for this to happen and hope you can get in touch with them soon.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TruthTellah

@Michael_BoltonIII said:

@Chumm said:

These are traits that actually are highly valued in Eve. Let me put it this way, both of those clips were the reason the COMPANY THAT MAKES THE GAME picked me as a representative and EVE EXPERT. This is what makes eve a great game.

Also, it's important to note that the yearly player gathering in Iceland is pretty much all about being Stumbling Drunk and Homoerotic activities. Just to give you and idea, This is a picture of some of the most important people in Eve Online http://i.imgur.com/SLNIe.jpg, I'm passed out drunk inside the room with the Icicle lights.

I think he's talking in a more strategic sense. The Giant Bomb crew are rather loose with language at times, but they don't usually like much idiocy. There's a decent difference between being silly and acting juvenile. Regardless of how things work in the EVE universe; this is still the real world, which has its own standards. So, if you are interested in getting their attention, a video where you're stumbling drunk and saying some rather odd things may not be the best strategy. Show them that you're silly but still professional and good-natured. I'm sure you'll get their attention much better that way.

I understand why you might be proud of those videos, but I can also understand how it might turn some people off and really represent what often makes people just walk on past when they see EVE Online. I want you to be successful in this, as I think videos of the Giant Bomb guys playing EVE would be fantastic and hilarious; so, for the sake of everyone involved, perhaps there are better ways to show what a big deal you are than videos like that.

Again, I wish you the best of luck in convincing them to work with you and provide some great content to everyone here.

MrSlapHappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By MrSlapHappy

You might get Vinny or Dave to give it a shot, but it sounds like they would rather read the stories and not invest the hours it takes to get competent or even just understand what the hell is happening in Eve.

Alternatively, your suggestion to just give them power and watch the ensuing train wreck probably isn't high on their list of things to do. While they are willing to make asses of themselves in the service of providing entertaining game coverage, I don't think they would just dive into this knowing full well that it is purely to watch them flounder around in a grandiose spectacle of failure.

I suggest just letting this one go, they will either check out Eve during a Random PC Game feature or they won't.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Michael_BoltonIII: You make me want to hop on EVE and waste countless hours in a virtual ship in virtual space.

If the crew doesn't take you up on your offer at the very least you should just start writing blogs and discussing what makes EVE so fucking insane. Good shit man, keep it up.

Chumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chumm

@Michael_BoltonIII said:

@Chumm said:

Oh I don't doubt that you're terribly important, it's just that you're the worst. This is a personality driven site, run by and generally visited by adults, and you're just not a fit.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By joshthebear

This sounds like a job for the team of Dave, Vinny, and Drew. Hopefully it goes does as I've been interested to see how insane the EVE world has become.

Michael_BoltonIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chumm said:

@Michael_BoltonIII said:

@Chumm said:

Oh I don't doubt that you're terribly important, it's just that you're the worst. This is a personality driven site, run by and generally visited by adults, and you're just not a fit.

I think there's been a bit of a miscommunication. While I can completely agree that I am, in fact, the worst, I was more trying to allude to the fact that EVE is a deadly serious game, to the point where if you take it seriously you will lose your mind and burn out in months. I know people who play at a level where a single error in judgement or trust can costs you the equivalent of tens of thousands of real dollars in an instant or destroy months of work, people that must be contactable and within reach of a computer 24 hours a day, and sorry desperate souls that fuel and setup towers (ugh, I just vomited in my mouth) for hours a day. If you tried to play eve like an adult, it would pretty much be a second job and pretty much a "no fun allowed- mature and e-honourable players only" sort of game.

I can assure you that I am at least reasonably competent at most things I do (though I'm not a great singer), and in my real life I don't go stumbling around drunk declaring hereditary dominion over nearby homosexuals. Unfortunately, when playing a character role meant to entertain and amuse, I do in fact do those things. I would suggest you watch some of the Alliance Tournament IX clips (particularly any studio pre-fight with me in it) if your looking for a more "adult" version of my personality and something closer to what you would likely see were I to guide people through EVE.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By sweep  Moderator

This sounds like a great idea! Let's send out the warcry and see if we can get a response. Bombcrew, assemble:

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AlexW00d

Get Dave, Vinny, and Drew together for this would something I would very much like to watch.

If it's any of the others then meh, I can't imagine there being any sort of real interest from them.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jeldh

An EVE quicklook would be great! I have just tried the game once, but I heard alot of cool stuff about it. An ambassador would be really good too since quicklooks tend to not grasp the games they play since they haven't done any research about it before they start to record.

I also agree that the videos you posted made me feel a lot less interested in the eve community. But I'm sure you just exaggerated and over-acted since they crowd somehow seemed to think that it was hilarious, right?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Michael_BoltonIII said:

@Chumm said:

I was thinking about getting back into EvE. Thanks for changing my mind.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TruthTellah

@Michael_BoltonIII: Well, Sweep responded and appears on your side on this one; so, I think you have a decent shot of at least getting to pitch the idea to the crew. Good luck with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Your native American (I think and hope) avatar is appropriate then. You can lead the white man through space.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Funkydupe

I want to mine even though I hear it is the most boring thing you can do in the game.

Chumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Chumm

@Michael_BoltonIII said:

I would suggest you watch some of the Alliance Tournament IX clips (particularly any studio pre-fight with me in it) if your looking for a more "adult" version of my personality and something closer to what you would likely see were I to guide people through EVE.

I apologize, you've handled yourself very well here and have indeed been a pleasure to watch during the Alliance Tournament pre-flight videos. You skirt a pretty fucking crazy line exceptionally well, I hope this EVE tour works out!

Michael_BoltonIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sweep said:

This sounds like a great idea! Let's send out the warcry and see if we can get a response. Bombcrew, assemble:

I would love any help you can give. If the guys want to do the Fleet Commanding thing then I've got the best FC in the entire game, Shadoo from Pandemic Legion, willing to ride along with them in case they feel like they need a little guidance. Also, they might be able to do it in the middle of an actual war instead of it just being a staged thing, depending on the timing.

mrbriscoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By mrbriscoe

Damn, this would be a fantastic idea.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By datarez

I've got got back into Eve again and would love to see this happen. I'm trying to go through it this time right and actually learn all the mechanics. Before I would always just work on my skill plan more than actually flying.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By snide

Thanks for the notice. I've actually been trying to get back into EVE. We'll see if I have enough time.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Renahzor

@Michael_BoltonIII: @Chumm:

It's one of the odd things about EVE, many of the personalities make total dickheads out of guys you may otherwise not mind sharing a beer and a few laughs with. As someone who plays EVE not nearly as seriously I can really appreciate what's being offered, and would love to see a video of some sort with the guys/audience being able to see some of what actually makes EVE unique and interesting first hand. I've done a lot of the 0.0 war stuff myself before taking a long break, but getting to fly with PL(or any other bigger fleet producing alliances) to see how things work and get a taste of the game would be great fun to watch and prevent the... boring grind that can happen in EVE now and then and wouldn't make good video.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Renahzor: I can hardly wait to see a video of the GB crew "getting to see how things work" by sitting through a laggy blobfest.
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#42  Edited By fox01313

Sounds great & definitely interested even if you just wind up writing up articles for the GB crew to post in the news section if the videos are out of the way though I think with your help & EVE up on steam they might be willing to tag along for some video/space madness.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Renahzor

@Marokai: I don't think they'd need to have a blob fest to have fun. Im not suggesting they jump into a system with 1500 in local and see what happens, but getting a large enough fleet together and seeing some fights would make way more interesting videos than ship spinning. And if anyone knows how to find fights it's probably these guys. EVE experiences run a huge variety, larger fleet fights(20 -50 per side or a few more is fine) are more entertaining to see than a 5 man roam not finding targets for 4 hours too. Having a great FC and some numbers lets you choose a few more fights than a small gang.

Xercodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Xercodo

Oh damn Bolton, when did you get here?

That's what I get for not paying attention to this forum as a whole and only watching my topic :3

Every now and then I consider joining Test but I just can't decide D: I love middle management dino tho xD

Oh but if you can, Bolton, can you poke Navigator for me? It's a bit of an RL issue actually and I don't have any out of game form of communicating with him :3

But yes, to the other in this thread, Bolton and test are awesome \o/

@Chumm: It might not sound like it but he is. Test is a pretty big alliance now and when Bolton isn't drunk he makes a damn decent commentator for the alliance tournament. Guys here just need to under stand that EVE culture (particularly null sec and official forum culture) is drenched in sarcasm and trolls and memes. It's actually pretty funny once you get used to it. Test alliance has a reputation for not giving a fuck about their reputation and just having fun with it. Kinda part of why I been thinking of joining them.

Avatar image for shadowbladeedge
    ShadowbladeEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShadowbladeEdge

As someone that loathes the attitudes of the CFC and and their ilk I'd still say that Bolton is probably one of the best people do this kind of thing with. I would recommend keeping the chat window and any other coms to TEST/CFC in general closed, as I wouldn't expect that they would be able to stop from being idiots in the vein of drunk Bolton. If they'd be willing to do so Shadoo or Kil2, for solo/small gang stuff, would be good to hook up with.

Also just because the CFC's God awful culture is dominate doesn't mean that it's the only culture. Us guys in IRC for example seem to get by fine without being total douchebags.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.