Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

New Avatar Creator

LordElkDeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By LordElkDeer

Video would not embed no matter what, just use the youtube link.  Reply with your views on the new avatar creator. 
    Linky

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By perilator666

I think it's absolutely gorgeous.The detail is just crazy. I think Incarna is gonna help a lot of new people get into EVE in a much bigger way.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Aetheldod
    @zoskia:  I do wanna play this game is just that I dont have the computer for it tho , which brings me to what kind of computer I need for this game to play it at its finest?
    perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By perilator666
    @Aetheldod: it's fairly forgiving actually. depending on how ancient your rig is, a few tweaks and additions should suffice.

http://support.eveonline.com/pages/kb/article.aspx?id=124
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By shiftymagician

That sure is an awesome avatar generator.  However, what kinds of features will use these avatars in EVE in a meaningful way?  I've seen some small previews of it here and there, but nothing too concrete.  I should honestly search this more, but anyone care to just inform me of these features?

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By perilator666
    @ShiftyMagician: All I know is that incarna was originally called the "walking in stations" update. So I imagine there's gonna be a lot more interaction between players. I'm hoping maybe Corps will get to set up headquarters and customize them and so on. I have great expectations for this expansion.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Aetheldod said:
    " @zoskia:  I do wanna play this game is just that I dont have the computer for it tho , which brings me to what kind of computer I need for this game to play it at its finest? "
    an ancient videocard at this point will give you your 60. If you want top detail it's very easy to do. Most mid-high end machines built today would run Eve at top detail at high resolution at well over 100 frames per second.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zithe
    @zoskia said:
    " All I know is that incarna was originally called the "walking in stations" update. So I imagine there's gonna be a lot more interaction between players. I'm hoping maybe Corps will get to set up headquarters and customize them and so on. I have great expectations for this expansion. "
    Whoa, wait. I played this game a couple of years ago and couldn't get into it. Please help me out here:

1) You can get out of your ship and walk around as a person now?
    2) How much will the expansion cost?
    GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9  Edited By GS_Dan

Damn, I want to get back into Eve now...

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By Forcen
    @Zithe said:

" @zoskia said:

" All I know is that incarna was originally called the "walking in stations" update. So I imagine there's gonna be a lot more interaction between players. I'm hoping maybe Corps will get to set up headquarters and customize them and so on. I have great expectations for this expansion. "

Whoa, wait. I played this game a couple of years ago and couldn't get into it. Please help me out here:  1) You can get out of your ship and walk around as a person now? 2) How much will the expansion cost? "
    1. No, not yet. they have not decided a date for the expansion. I would guess this summer the earliest.
    2. It will be free for suscribers, just like every EVE Online expansion.

Here is a video of the "walking in station" as it looked in 2008.

Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Althox

Prepare to wait for the walking-in-stations patch. I wouldn't get my hopes up on the upcoming summer, but you never know.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mikemcn

I need to re sub to Eve online dont I......

I guess this means back to space Mining.

LordElkDeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LordElkDeer

Alright, I've uploaded the latest of what the creator looks like. And \o/ embed is working now :P

Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Althox

Here's another one for ya! Gallente Female.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By trophyhunter

wow nice

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Donos

Damn, they've been making some improvements. Just a monthish to go.

Random q: If they're all floating around in gel-filled pods, why aren't they all atrophied?
    Random q 2: How many people are going to make Cmdr Shepard? I know I probably am.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By damswedon

I love that the big feature for this release is the ability to walk around. Only EVE could be that fucking nuts. 
    I'm not the biggest PC gamer and even less a MMO fan but if there ever was something that would make me buy a usable gaming PC I bet it would be EVE.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho

Im sure plenty of people look at a super versatile creator like this and are compelled to make the least inspiring character design imaginable. You're not alone. 
    Mostly though I just wonder how many women will be walking around with a long t and no pants on.

LordElkDeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LordElkDeer
    @ryanwho said:
    " Im sure plenty of people look at a super versatile creator like this and are compelled to make the least inspiring character design imaginable. You're not alone. Mostly though I just wonder how many women will be walking around with a long t and no pants on. "
    I made it to show what the creator looks like and what you can change with it, not to actually make an avatar. Be assured, I'll spend hours on my main's new avatar on tq when it releases in january.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Donos

Well, I dowloaded SiSi and tried to make my Shepard, and the character creator is just too restrictive. There's no option to change the general size/shape of a person's head, so my caldari merc can't escape the giant meathaed. Everything within it's restrictions look really damn good, and I'm certainly happy with the character I made, but it just doesn't have all the options it should.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I let me sub run out about a month ago, but this will easily get me to resub when it finally drops

LordElkDeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LordElkDeer
    @PrimeSynergy:  So see you in eve January 18th, then? ;D
    Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Althox

So was in a couple of hours ago to join the Masstest on Sisi, and decided to try out the new CC. So, here's a new version of my character "Nila". Bigger images:

And for comparison, here's the old pic of my character  !

Nila2 Body
    Nila2 Body

Nila2 Face
    Nila2 Face
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Branthog

This thread is kind of old, but I wanted to provide a little information. First off, I thought I'd post one of my avatars from EVE, which unintentionally came out looking like a young George Takai (awesome):

To answer some questions:

The expansion that contains ambulation (aka "walking in stations" and "Incarna") will be free. All EVE expansions are free. The expense of getting into EVE is usually no more than $20, which includes the client and the first month of a subscription. All expansions are free and they will always be free. CCP releases two expansions per year - approximately six months apart.

The Incarna expansion is expected in Summer of 2011 and is supposed to include ambulation. Of course, when I was playing in 2008, we were hearing that the Apocrypha expansion coming that year would have ambulation, too. Here's the thing about CCP . . . they want an immersive experience that is well thought out and fits the universe. If it can't be done, they'll keep planning it and day-dreaming about it, until they can do it right. If it can't be done right, they won't try it. In this case, they have been planning to have ambulation since about the beginning of the game. It wasn't until recently that technology has started to catch up to the point where they can present the experience they dreamed of. For example, very realistic looking characters with great character creation and jaw-dropping movement.

Along those lines, the first exposure to ambulation in Incarna will be limited. Again, they don't want to overwhelmingly impact EVE. Either with regards to the server resources required or the economic and other aspects of the game that might change by this new aspect of the game. So, the first experience will be taking your avatar out of its pod and into your captain's quarters. How quickly ambulation expands from there in later expansions is entirely unknown. 

Here's some fantastic information on what is expected in Incarna, with regards to ambulation and Captain's Quarters:

CCP Developer's BLog:  looking ahead: captain's quarters and the road to incarna 

And here's a video that demonstrates the clothing and hair, which is impressive. . . But more impressively, look at the girl as she walks down the stairs at the end of the video. The weight and bounce and velocity of her body as it navigates the stairs and takes that final steps is unreal.

In the future, they plan to roll out the ability to walk around stations. And player owned stations. And shop at stores. And play games (they have a really great adaptation of a strategy game that you can play within EVE in these ports as well as expected gambling). In fact, they've mentioned things as cool as being able to sit down at a table in EVE at a station and start gambling. And then someone else can be logged in via their smart phone or a web site, to sit down at the table in EVE in a station and start gambling with you. But since they're not playing via the real EVE client, what you see happening is someone's HOLOGRAM is sitting next to you, gambling with you. Crazy.

And, of course, when Dust 514 comes out (which I don't expect to be a long term success, sadly), console players will be able to conduct FPS battles on their consoles FOR YOU as mercenaries that you have contracted for from within the real EVE game itself, to take over planets and other complexes.

EVE answers a lot of what I have wanted in an MMO and while other MMOs lose me within days or months, EVE retains me. Even when I swear I'm done, because of the time sink, I come back. I've been playing off and on for almost five years, now. I've played a lot of MMOs, but none more than about three months and more often less than a couple weeks. Recently, I played Star Trek Online for less than one week, before I said "why am I playing this, instead of just going back to EVE?" . . . which I proceeded to do.

CCP is doing with EVE what I always dream about doing, if I'm ever Bill Gates rich (well, after I'm done banging every super model and actress under the sun, of course). That is, to make a massive world that isn't here to make big bucks over a five year arc, but is planned to last decades. That keeps evolving. Not by releasing something like "Cataclysm" or by releasing Everquest type expansions -- but by adding expansions that build on the actual mechanics of the sandbox. A world that is less "RPG on a  multiplayer server" and is truly "MMO...RPG". One that realizes th significance of a world being aesthetically pleasing, too. They've released entire whole new graphic updates every few years, to keep the appeal alive. Oh, and of course, they even place emphasis on aural mood. I think the in-game soundtrack is something like five or six hours long, by now.
    Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Whitestripes09

Very good post Branthog, I can agree with your all your points about EVE and also can't wait for ambulation. As of this date, Incarna has indeed came out and well... most people are not to happy about it although I am and I think the problem lies within the community. They have the same computer rigs since Apocrypha or before. Of course their computers aren't going to be able to handle Captain's Quarters or the new character customization and its a shame that CCP basically weeds out those players with outdated rigs. It's hard to determine now where EVE is going to go, in all my years I dont think I've ever seen the community this upset about an expansion that was put out. In a way, I think CCP needs to give players the option to turn off demanding parts of the game in order to please them and I think the community also needs to realize in order for ambulation to come out, CCP needs to take baby steps towards it and maybe in a year or 2 we will be walking in stations, gambling and hopefully watching sexy Gallente pole dancers.

blackjosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By blackjosh

I tried my hand at this the other day... but what looked awesome in the editor looked hideous on the station with that lighting.... Maybe I just suck with the editor but I was definitely saddened when I loaded in to the captain quarters.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By demonbear

Eve Online? Oh you mean Fancy Excel Spreadsheets in Space?? Yeah i've heard of that....

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Crash_Happy

I've always been struck at the difference between what an avatar looks like in a generator and what they look like in engine (To be clear I haven't seen EvE's generator). It can be really offputting if you decide to take some extra care and attention and get something which just does not look as cool!

LordElkDeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LordElkDeer
    @Crash_Happy said:

I've always been struck at the difference between what an avatar looks like in a generator and what they look like in engine (To be clear I haven't seen EvE's generator). It can be really offputting if you decide to take some extra care and attention and get something which just does not look as cool!

With CQ, now that you can actually see your full avatar, it's the same as in the creator. If you've ever played APB, it's kind of like that minus being able to do anything useful with your avatar.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.