Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

The EVE Online Bank Job

• 82 results
    mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By mathewballard

That is just awesome!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Haha thats awesome.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By Pibo47

That is freaking awesome! That almost wants me to play EVE online! "this could be the end of the world.....of warcraft...."

LegioXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By LegioXIII

Stories like this are always so fun to read. EVE Online player politics are way more interesting then real life. lol

I love EVE Online. It's the best MMO ever. Simple to play, hard to understand.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Scooper

That's so cool, he's robbed it up and booked it. I'd instantly start selling the gold on Ebay or something, you'd get pretty loaded I'm guessing.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#56  Edited By LaszloKovacs

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the going price for ISK on these shady MMO gold-selling sites.

This dude made off with like hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If I were him I would start making sure that his Eve username isn't in any way linked to his real name or address.

philster99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By philster99
    Soroush, I also missed the TradeWars game also, and I just found out that there's a new web browser remake online with a fairly active community at http://www.tradewarsrising.com

Check it out and you can go back to your old school days, lol ;)
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#58  Edited By dagas

EVE is really like the sci-fi movies where corperations have taken over. The nations in EVE don't have much power and the police doesn't do anything unless they see someone attackingg someone else (in high security space) or if you have contraband cargo. Unlike other games in EVE pretty much anything is legal, except for using exploits or buying ISK on ebay everything is possible. Life in EVE is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short as Hobbes would have put it.

packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By packfan104l4

@MB

Yea, whoops, lol.  I wrote that right before I passed out, so yea, maybe added a couple 0's here and there, lol.

And to all of you people that call the game boring, all there is is mining, etc, you don't understand the point of the game.  It's meant to be a niche game, otherwise it'd be a WoW clone.  Yes, you sometimes have to mine.  Yes the menu's are confusing at first.  I've been playing for 1+ years and I'm still earning new stuff every day.  The whole point is this is a SOCIAL game.  If you come in, run missions, and mine solo, it's going to be boring, hands down.  I'm in an active corp where we mission when we need our sec standing back up, then go plundering throughout the low/nullsec universe.  After the 2 week trial, you either get it or you don't.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants a 21 day trial (not the standard 14 day) pop me a private message and I'll send you a referral email for the buddy program.  An extra week is always nice and if you end up subscribing before the trial is up, the time is added to your account.  Just lemme know!

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#60  Edited By Brackynews

Intrigue.  It's not just for NPCs anymore.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61  Edited By Dryker

I always found the auction house and trading in MMOs far more fascinating and engaging than the fighting. If Too Human had an auction house it would've been a far better game.

Noremakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Noremakk

Haha, that's awesome. I hope they deal with him solely through EVE Online; crimes committed in an MMO should be dealt with in an MMO.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By End_Boss

My friend and I started playing EVE because of this article. Thanks Jeff.

ArgentR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ArgentR
    exfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By exfate

The great thing about EVE is that people can "roleplay" without giving up their real life persona and pretending to be an elven lord or something dumb.

That said, the time investment is just waaay to much for a lot of people. It just takes so long to get to the position where your existence in the game even matters to the same minuscule percentage that your real life existence matters.

At this point it's been going for so long that you'd be mad to start out playing alone. If you were to start playing with a group who would stick with it for literally years, it might end up being worth it. Either that, or you'd need to know people playing already. That was my experience trying it fairly late into the game anyway -- even with a fair sized group of people starting out together -- it just wasn't worth the time it seemed like it would take to get the most from it. For that reason, I eagerly await their next MMO, WoD: Online. Seems like getting in relatively early, in the first few years at least, would be the key to getting the most from a CCP style, emmergent gameplay, MMO.

ricost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ricost

There is a fiction book I would like to recommend that goes together fine with this robbery. It is called Halting State by Charles Stross. It's one of the best near-future sci-fi books I've read. Look up the storyline on Amazon or something - I guarantee that you'll like it if you into near-future sci-fi and MMO's.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I need to play this game.... o.o That is fucking incredibly cool. This article pretty much perfectly sums up how I feel about this xD

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By Afroman269

Maybe the kid was mad cus his parents stopped giving him an allowance so he stole a bunch of in game money. The perfect crime..

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#69  Edited By mrhankey

If i had the stomach to spend $15 a month to play EVE i would, as i enjoyed everything about it when i played the trial.

Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Vision

I remember this happening atleast once before.

Landmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Landmine

Xabier is the Bernie Madoff of the EVE online world.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#72  Edited By citizenkane

That's actually pretty awesome.

AspiringAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#73  Edited By AspiringAndy

Holy Crap!
    I just checked a ISK selling website and, 300 million ISK cost US $900.
    And this dude took 80 Billion...
    BILLION.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Renahzor
    "Holy Crap!
    I just checked a ISK selling website and, 300 million ISK cost 900.
    And this dude took 80 Billion..."

No, you are all doing the math wrong, like really wrong, and getting your isk buying info from a bad source.  EVE allows you to purchase game time cards for real money, and sell them for ISK in game.  Doing this you can turn 35.00 USD into about 650M isk.  To make the math easier we'll just round it to about 50 bucks for 1B isk, or about $4,200.00 stolen.  Depends on the day and the current market for time codes, but its nowhere near the figures some have come up with.

This is one of the reasons I really like EVE.  :)
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Media_Master

barf, mmo subscriptions

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Branthog

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Branthog

spacebug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By spacebug

For any of those thinking of taking up EVE Online. Please dear god, do not sit in the newbie corporation and run missions. EVE is not a PVE game like WoW and the vast majority of other MMOs out there, it is a PVP game and the PVE portion is there to give combat pilots a way to make money off of something that isn't piracy or mercenary contracts and is incredibly dull. Get out there and join a player corporation, there are many that take in new people and are there specifically for training new people the  game and will often supply you with your first few ships. And even the most powerful alliances in the game are in constant need of new pilots.

For those that are saying that the game is slow and requires a large time investment before you can do anything. It is true that you will not be able to be an excellent battleship pilot or capital ship pilot for close to a year, but you are useful from day 1, in specific roles. You can hold people in place so the rest of your fleet can destroy them from day one and that is a vital role in fleets that is most often fulfilled by new pilots. From there you can get in larger or more specialized ships, but all ship types are useful in fights and some of the most fun I have had in the game is getting my corp together in small frigate type ships, the kind you can fly when you start the game, and roaming around killing things with them.

There are many many many ways to play EVE online, mining, research, exploration, piracy, manufacture, trade mercenary and you can have a very good experiance doing any of the them but find the one you like the most and specialize. It will get you on an even standing with the older members of the community rather quickly because there is a cap on how well you can do secific things. You will get to a point you will be able to fly a ship as well as a pilot that has been around for 3 years, he may be able to mine better then you as well but in that fight you will be even.

So my advice for anyone looking to play the game:

1) Quit the starter corporation and find a new one.
    2) Find something you like to do in the game specialize for it and enjoy it.
    3)  Even is a harsh game, you will be blown up, stolen from, trapped, hunted and destroyed. Take a deep breath, get a drink, find a new ship, grab a friend and get back there and crucify him.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Branthog

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#80  Edited By dannyodwyer  Staff

EVE is just amazing

AspiringAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#81  Edited By AspiringAndy
    Renahzor said:
    "
    "Holy Crap!
    I just checked a ISK selling website and, 300 million ISK cost 900.
    And this dude took 80 Billion..."

No, you are all doing the math wrong, like really wrong, and getting your isk buying info from a bad source.  EVE allows you to purchase game time cards for real money, and sell them for ISK in game.  Doing this you can turn 35.00 USD into about 650M isk.  To make the math easier we'll just round it to about 50 bucks for 1B isk, or about $4,200.00 stolen.  Depends on the day and the current market for time codes, but its nowhere near the figures some have come up with.

This is one of the reasons I really like EVE.  :)
    "
    o.O
    I dont play it so yeah.
    This is the dodgy source.
    SOURCE
    Avatar image for 45hefvserg 34t34 t3
    45ysdfgsd g35t3t54 3t4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to agree with most people here, this shit is what EVE is about. From what ive seen, no other MMO comes close in terms of what EVE achieves.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.