Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVO Championship Series

Concept »

The World Fighting Game Championships in all but name. Since 2000, the Evolution Championship Series has been the most prominent fighting game tournament event. It features the best players from all over the world.

A Conversation With EVO's SF4 Grand Finals Winner, MD|Luffy

• 73 results
    mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is this eSports?

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@wemibelec90 said:

@lukeweizer: I've never believed that sticks are inherently better either; that's just what the community tends to say as a whole (although probably less so now).

Well, speaking in terms of pure kinesiology, doing motions on a dpad relies entirely on your thumb whereas joystick movements can incorporate your fingers, wrist, elbow, shoulders, and even back and waist. It's a minute difference though, and in all honesty we really should be playing on Hitboxes anyways.

I saw someone using one of those at PAX Prime last year! It completely boggled my mind. Is it considered better than a Stick? Or just some different?

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did he found One Piece yet?

Klarion18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Didn't expect this to be on the site! Thanks Patrick!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@starvinggamer said:

@wemibelec90 said:

@lukeweizer: I've never believed that sticks are inherently better either; that's just what the community tends to say as a whole (although probably less so now).

Well, speaking in terms of pure kinesiology, doing motions on a dpad relies entirely on your thumb whereas joystick movements can incorporate your fingers, wrist, elbow, shoulders, and even back and waist. It's a minute difference though, and in all honesty we really should be playing on Hitboxes anyways.

I saw someone using one of those at PAX Prime last year! It completely boggled my mind. Is it considered better than a Stick? Or just some different?

I think that it has the potential to be better. It seems like it would give you the highest degree of accuracy when executing frame-perfect controller inputs, but I've never actually used one. I really want one though so I can see how long it would take to learn to do a standing 720.

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome! I watched EVO live to see killer instinct and it had me cheering and shouting like I was watching some MMA. I fucking LOVE killer instinct and almost want to buy an xbox (almost!) just to play it.

I wish they would put Killer Instinct on the computer. I tried to enjoy SF I really did but I just don't like the visual style (I had a super nintendo and street fighter 2 back in 1992 and have played virtually every SF game).

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
    TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

There was so many tears at EVO this year, I think I counted at least 8 people on stage on finals day that had tears rolling down their cheeks.

Thanks for doing this interview Patrick, would love to see you do more stuff about the fighting game community/Smash Bros. scene.

Somebody mentioned it but yeah, Maxwell McGee was at EVO this year, he loves fighting games and was pretty much solely responsible for content of that kind appearing on Gamespot the past few years.

Aronleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a great read thanks @patrickklepek hope to see more of this in the future.

thecrowes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By thecrowes

@starvinggamer: Thanks for clearing that up for me, as someone who just watched from the side lines without knowing much of the intricacies, it helped.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@logan3 said:

@patrickklepek

Thank-you Patrick.

Could you also do an interview with the winner of this year's Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 winner, Justin Wong? Maybe asking him what how he feels his victory might have affected the state of UMvC3, esp. with many rumors and comments that it was dead or had been dying since Disney's removal of the game from market. I'd also be interested in hearing how he feels about being re-crowned the champion of MvC again, and why he had difficulty re-attaining that status for so many years after the release of UMvC3?

Thank-you again.

Justin Wong is the man.

Great interview, Patrick!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" My family doesn't treat me differently, as games aren't really a successful thing to them. It's not like I've graduated with a PhD."

It's kind of sad reading that. I'm glad his friends and the community could congratulate his achievement but it sounds like his family have such a poor attitude towards his achievement.

Watching all of EVO has made me really want to pick up fighting games, so I've been trying my hand at a few. Hoping for s SSIV release on the PS4 and if not whatever SF comes next.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah, neither of the two surprising things is all that surprising. When you're playing at that level you rarely make input errors regardless of controller choice. And many players pick characters because they like their design/personality/backstory instead of their tier list position.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but... Whens Mahvel?

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The first person I called was my girlfriend, to tell her that I won, and I would bring back some money home."

The struggle is real.

Lol truer words have never been spoken.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@gaff said:

@amafi: Don't underestimate how many people pick characters on the basis of tier lists or the latest tournament results. Back in Vanilla SF4 there were an insane amount of Sagats online and each iteration had their own "OP" character.

Yeah, you shoulda seen the army or Roses that appeared online immediately following Luffy's victory.

Oh, sure. None of those people will ever get top 8 at evo though. The top players generally have some weird reason for their attachment to characters other than what's flavor of the month.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By amafi

" My family doesn't treat me differently, as games aren't really a successful thing to them. It's not like I've graduated with a PhD."

It's kind of sad reading that. I'm glad his friends and the community could congratulate his achievement but it sounds like his family have such a poor attitude towards his achievement.

Watching all of EVO has made me really want to pick up fighting games, so I've been trying my hand at a few. Hoping for s SSIV release on the PS4 and if not whatever SF comes next.

I do that every single EVO. This time it's Skull Girls. Trying to pick up some of that Big Band tech. In 5 months I'll realize I'll never be good enough to actually have fun online and stop again. Rinse and repeat next summer.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

@amafi said:

@jesus_phish said:

I do that every single EVO. This time it's Skull Girls. Trying to pick up some of that Big Band tech. In 5 months I'll realize I'll never be good enough to actually have fun online and stop again. Rinse and repeat next summer.

Watching EVO just makes me long for my younger days when I could take on anyone at my local arcades. I was never THE BEST or anything, but I had a lot of fun and won far more than I lost.

Now my achy old hands just can't keep up and my reaction times are so slow compared to younger kids who play I really don't stand a chance in any serious competition or even just online in random matchups. But EVO always makes me nostalgic.

Most of the time I go to great lengths to look forward rather than backwards. But I really miss playing fighting games well. Also; Get off my lawn you darn kids.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Nice interview! EVO is the best, even for someone like me who rarely plays fighting games. Luffy's list of dudes he brought down in order to win the title is truly impressive.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is cool, loved evo this year and can't wait for next year.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#70  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I remember watching a little bit of Evo earlier in the year on the site. Thought it was pretty cool.

This was my visual approximation of Luffy after winning the Grand finals.

No Caption Provided

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

Thanks for the interview Patrick! I'm happy that Giant Bomb covers FGC stuff, especially now that Max McGee is no longer at GameSpot, and I don't think they're going to have any more fighting game features.

decko5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for covering fighting games, Patrick!

TeaBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those that are new to the FGC and also find yourself entertained by the drama of Sports Entertainment please stop by reddit.com/r/kappa. It's what we like to refer to as WWE-sports. There are some pro players and commentators that post regularly (Xian, Mike "the 4th Ross, Gootecks, UltraDavid etc...). The humor there can be dark and somewhat negative sounding at first glance so I recommend lurking for a few weeks before posting anything so you understand the flow of things. They have a bad rep in small circles of the FGC because of their relentless badgering of "scumbag" players and managers, but Kappa donated around $3k to send three people to EVO this year (Alex Myserssss, Tamba Bison, & Fullschedule) who they feel represent their values of calling people out on their BS, and trying to be a decent human being in real life.

Be warned if you are homophobic you're not going to have a good time as Kappa has a deep love for it's Trans members...deep. Also there is typically a daily fetish post related to feet, anime, thick, and or asian. Not sure how that became a thing but yeah.

Also Noel Brown beats women and the handicapped, stay away from him.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By amafi

@teabaggins: r/kappa are just the opposite face of the same scumbag coin.

Anyone half decent would do well to stay away from that cesspool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.