Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVO Championship Series

Concept »

The World Fighting Game Championships in all but name. Since 2000, the Evolution Championship Series has been the most prominent fighting game tournament event. It features the best players from all over the world.

EVO 2015 Preview (July 17-19, live from Las Vegas) 3 days, 9 world championships to be decided!

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#852  Edited By GaspoweR

PUSH INFILTRATION.

JUST DO IT.

DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#854  Edited By hassun

Snake Eyez just couldn't adapt to the meat squasher. Ironically, there was a match between a top level Zangief and Hugo earlier today as well.

Itazan seems to be quite a bit better in the matchup (which is pretty bad for Zangief, let's be honest).

Loading Video...

Itazan and StormKubo have actually been going at it quite a few times recently. They met not once but twice at the Taiwan Fighting Major.

The UMVC3 finals at First Attack between Takumi and Chris G were great as well.

@l1ghtn1n: I think Infiltration is just building up and testing his counterpick character list for Capcom Cup. I bet he has a big list of each character he will feasibly encounter at that tournament, together with the counters he will use for them.

So you won't see a Dee Jay or Dan and probably not Dictator either.

P.S.

Loading Video...

P.P.S.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#855  Edited By hassun

The brackets for the Tokyo Game Show CPT premier event have been made official: http://www.4gamer.net/games/284/G028493/20150907067/

Let the speculation commence.
    Here is mine: Holy shit Infiltration couldn't have asked for an easier/better draw. This could very well be his first premier tournament win.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First Attack was a cool event. Definitely had hype finals in both Marvel and Street Fighter. I know that Snake Eyez was getting out poked by Hugo's standing jab, but why did he keep jumping? Infiltration was almost 100% on those anti air EX grabs. I'm not sure if Hugo is so much a hard counter for Zangief as Snake Eyez was just unfamiliar with the matchup.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#859  Edited By hassun

@fredchuckdave: Yeah I noticed. The article also spells Evolution as "Evoluiton" early on. Can't be helped.

There appears to be a minor controversy going on as well. Momochi was originally slated to enter the tournament but dropped out and he was replaced with K-Brad even though Latif is going to be present and a lot of other players have applied to compete as well.

@l1ghtn1n: It's not impossible but let's be real here, Capcom Cup is probably not going to be the place for it.

@hippie_genocide: Hugo is a bad matchup for Zangief but Snake definitely did not play that matchup optimally either (nor was Infiltration's Hugo really top shelf).

Either way Infiltration at Tokyo Game Show must be the safest bet for a premier tournament yet. Unless one of the lesser known Japanese players steps it up in a big way he has a pretty much free pass to top 8 on the winners side. Meanwhile Block C and D are absolute death zones. Jesus Christ. Even worse if the winners of those two blocks have to compete against each other as well (which will probably happen). That would give Infiltration a near-guaranteed top 4.

I took the liberty of checking who has beaten Infiltration in tournament this season (disregarding avenged losses in the same tournament) and are also present at the TGS tournament.

1. Poongko (Infil has beaten him multiple times since)
    2. Bonchan (Infil has beaten him since)
    3. Nemo
    4. Daigo
    5. Tokido
    6. Gamerbee

That's it. Now look at where these players are in the brackets. Bonchan is the only one he can meet before Top 4 in winners. All the others will need to kill each other before they can even get a shot at him in winners. Things are definitely looking good for old Seon-woo Lee.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#860  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@starvinggamer: @hassun: The Invasion Boss this week is Sindel, read into that what you will.

Loading Video...

hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there some canonical reason why Cyrax and Sektor aren't in the game? They pretty much threw out any continuity with MK9 for MKX, didn't they?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: From Sektor's MK Wikia page:

After destroying Sektor and his cyber Lin Kuei, Sub-Zero kept Sektor's severed head and discovered in his memory banks the Lin Kuei's involvement with Quan Chi in the slaughter of the Shirai Ryu. Kuai Liang would show this information to the revived Scorpion, Hanzo Hasashi, and this revelation effectively ended the long standing feud between their clans.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#863  Edited By hassun
    hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#864  Edited By hassun

Alas, it looks like the leaked roster was accurate. The new SFV character is Rashid.

As usual I won't make a new thread for it and just wait until @alex makes an official one.

Yes, he does appear to be wearing a scouter.
    Yes, he does appear to be wearing a scouter.

Periscope stream from the event: https://www.periscope.tv/w/aMK5HjE0MjA4NzEzfDFZcUpEenFZbkVBS1Yn-FCyKqInLkySz2NqMrgn3LoDpQEgGOdIH3RgO0VEfw==

Loading Video...

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Gameplay:

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Can't say I'm a big fan of his appearance. The high tech Bedouin look is not doing it for me at all and those tiny Mega Man-style whirlwinds look silly.

hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind the overall look but Google glass monocle thing is a bit weird.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#867  Edited By hassun

@l1ghtn1n: Yeah maybe the big one works a bit like the Aegis Reflector (RIP Urien) although you probably won't get two of them or the ability to create one in the air.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Alright is his V-Skill the roll kick that goes through projectiles or the hop-back drop-kick that gives you a free juggle afterwards?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#870  Edited By hassun

Seems to be a weird amalgam of character skills. Divekicks, cannon spikes/strikes, Yang rolls, Aegis, wall jumps, dropkicks, etc.

With this kind of mobility he could be the Rolento of SFV.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#872  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Shouldn't the Fall Classic be called the Late Summer Classic?

Also year of the Arab Descent fighting game character. I liked Shaheen's look better.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n: I'm talking about the kick he does after the throw at 0:20, not sure I saw that EX?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Worse yet, if that character leak was accurate (and it did correctly predict Rashid) then we are getting a female Brazilian fighter for SFV as well. Tekken and SF going for the exact same stuff. Let's hope she's very different than Katarina Alves.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#876  Edited By hassun
    @hassun said:

Seems to be a weird amalgam of character skills. Divekicks, cannon spikes/strikes, Yang rolls, Aegis, wall jumps, dropkicks, etc.

With this kind of mobility he could be the Rolento of SFV.

No Caption Provided

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#877  Edited By Barrabas

Getting a real Guy vibe from Rashid.

Also, him having what appears to be essentially an aegis reflector probably makes it unlikely that Urien will show up. That's unfortunate.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh oh.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@barrabas said:

Getting a real Guy vibe from Rashid.

Also, him having what appears to be essentially an aegis reflector probably makes it unlikely that Urien will show up. That's unfortunate.

Guy was my first thought too.

I like Rashid, his design isn't as crazy as Necali, but looks fun to play as.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n: Looks like it's the fireball dodging roll kick, saw him build V-Meter by hitting with it. Fucking swear every character has anti-zoning tools in a game without zoners. I LIKE ZONERS.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If they add zoners to the game, they are going to have to be CRAZY powerful considering how much of the cast has anti zoning tools. Like a single ranged hit leading into a full 20+% damage combo.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#884  Edited By hassun

@westernwizard: I just hope they find a way to do it somehow. I want a large variety of playstyles and every single character to be viable.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

if that character leak was accurate (and it did correctly predict Rashid) then we are getting a female Brazilian fighter for SFV as well.

Do you mean the Ken Bogard leak? It predicted a character named "Rachid" from Africa, which I guess is close enough, kinda?

Put that together with the Siliconera leak which is still predicting Alex, Urien and Karin, and I guess that's the full roster.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#886  Edited By hassun

@fnrslvr: I'm only considering the Ken Bogard leak right now. Many of the things he said have turned out to be true. I'm still not entirely convinced the last returning character we haven't seen in a while will be Karin, despite her massive popularity. (I still don't have a clue why she's that popular either.)

Another interesting bit of news: http://shoryuken.com/2015/09/10/expect-a-street-fighter-v-character-reveal-at-tokyo-game-show/
    Could this be related to Momochi dropping out of the Tokyo Game Show premier event?

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#887  Edited By fnrslvr

@hassun: Fair. I'm not going to be too surprised if Siliconera turns out to be on the money, but as someone who hasn't typically been into Street Fighter, I don't really have a horse in the race. (And I don't understand the Karin fandom, either.)

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fnrslvr: I think there are a few factors working against it. Rashid's big whirlwind attack kind of resembles the Aegis Reflector in function so that decreases the chances of Urien being in the base game.

They have said the SFV roster will include eight classic, four brand new, and four fighters we haven't seen in a while. Karin, Alex and Urien would all be part of the "fighters we haven't seen in a while" group. That group has only 1 spot left with Birdie, R.Mika and Charlie taking up the other 3 spots so we definitely not going to get all 3 in the vanilla version of SFV.

DasUberOgre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#889  Edited By DasUberOgre

@hippie_genocide: A lot of characters lack of apperance in MKX proper is explained in the comics. As for those two they are both canonically dead. Sektor (who was the Grandmaster at this point) was killed by Sub-Zero after he uploaded a virus that was going to infect/kill the Cyber Lin Kuei, Cyrax was infected and reverted to being good just long enough to help Sub-Zero fight off the rest of the clan. Cyrax then named Sub-Zero the new Grandmaster and told him to return the Lin Kuei to their former glory and self destructed killing himself and the other Cyber Lin-Kuei. .

As for throwing out the continuity MK9 was effectively a reboot of the entire series so MK9 and MKX are whole new canons and anything pre MKDC is disregarded for the most part. The MKX comics themselves are chock full of cameos from The Dark Ages and characters that aren't in the game that have waaaaay bigger/expanded roles. ...And a lot of them get killed off.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow TFC is this weekend, glad I stopped by this thread.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#892  Edited By hassun

I took the liberty of simulating the TGS premier event: Think I'm close?

http://challonge.com/Infiltraseanwinslol

Also going on this weekend:

Saigon Cup 2015

Where: Saigon, Vietnam

What: USFIV CPT Ranking event + CPTA Qualifier

When: September 12, 14:00 local time

Time converter: http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?pl=1&lid=1566083,2950159,5128581,5368361&h=1566083

Stream: Apparently it will NOT be streamed on capcomfighters but on http://www.twitch.tv/gamestartasia instead.

Players/Brackets:

No Caption Provided

http://sfvietnam.challonge.com/

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n: Funny that. I'm covering for the overnight IT guy here at my work.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xiaohai vs Gackt was really good.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infiltration giving his opinion on the current state of SFV (and Tekken 7).

Loading Video...

From what I've seen of the game, this is also my greatest fear. The core of Street Fighter is "Easy to pick up, hard to master".
    I fear that SFV and Tekken 7 are sacrificing the hard to master part a bit too much in order to make the games easy to pick up.

Still hoping for the best though.

@fredchuckdave: Gackt vs Tonpy 1 and 2 was good too. Sad for Gackt, he really needed those points and with Fuudo being in a serious slump we could use someone to champion Fei Long.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#899  Edited By hassun

Holy shit Fuudo actually attempted to use Fei Long's taunt to avoid Pepeday's El Fuerte's Quesadilla Bomb in a Topanga B league match today. And then Pepeday actually played a "lame" El Fuerte to beat him.

No Caption Provided

If you want to see nearly 3.5 hours of Nemo/Rolento playing Latif/C.Viper then be my guest.

Results:

1st set: 15-14 Nemo

2nd set: 15-7 Nemo

3rd set: 15-3 Nemo

4th set: 14-10 Nemo

FT3: 3-2 Latif

EDIT:

Dictator has just won a major in Street Fighter IV!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That MKX Grand Finals was insane, started with Predator vs Tremor and eventually ended up with Goro Vs Sub-Zero.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.