Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVO Championship Series

Concept »

The World Fighting Game Championships in all but name. Since 2000, the Evolution Championship Series has been the most prominent fighting game tournament event. It features the best players from all over the world.

UFGT9 Preview (May 23-26) DIVEKICK comes home! Injustice goes to EVO ahead of Skullgirls and FGC News!

• 166 results
    casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By casper_

this event seemed really cool! i really enjoyed the mystery games and it felt a whole less dominated by sponsors and other esports bullshit and felt more like a just a nice fun time playing video games.

IK at the end of P4a was bonkers.

also fuck AGE and anyone else who would try to start a mutiny against a TO who is not trying to exploit the players or FGC in general.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I went to sleep real early yesterday and the stream was laggy anyway, so I missed most of the last day. I'm watching P4A now and Divekick's crowd is so loud in the background I'll have to see that next. Should I just watch all the mystery tournament stuff? I'm assuming Lethal League and the DDR stuff was there.

You don't have to watch all of it so it's really up to you. The games prior to the finals were funny as hell to watch too though. Most of the mystery tourney was shown in between the finals of each game on the Sunday stream so you dont get to see ALL of it and the finals of the mystery game was prior to UMVC3 and after Divekick.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

With all the Injustice players mad, they should put Top 8 for it Saturday morning just to piss them off.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@casper_: What the fuck was AGE mad about? I knew ChrisG was mad because he showed up late and almost got DQ'd or something equally dumb.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#155  Edited By FLStyle

@chibithor: The Lethal League and DDR stuff is inbetween the Divekick finals and the UMvC3 finals towards the end.

@gaspower: Agreed, some of it was really pathetic.

@marino said:

Lethal League now has a page on the site. That shit was intense.

Nice!

@smokeyd123 Fanatiq to get Keits to purposely put one of the AGE players in a Saturday pool be cause he would only arrive late Friday night and Keits said no because he doesn't bend the rules for anyone, then the AGE panel at UFGT was cancelled by AGE but Fanatiq tried to spin it. Basically Fanatiq lies and spins tales a lot but he does it poorly because he keeps getting caught.

Fanatiq doesn't even win any majors like UFGT, he just talks shit on Twitter and goes unseen on the stream during tournament weekends constantly.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Top 8 Injustice ECT if anyone missed it:

Loading Video...

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a Tekken player. Sure we didnt get a lot of entrants and we're probably known to be not the most attractive of communities due to how complex the game is. Its one of the other popular fighting game franchises like KOF and Soul Calibur that has not under gone a reboot of sorts in terms of mechanics and/or roster like MVC3, SF4, or MK9 so the difficulty curve of learning the game hasn't gone down or stayed level. We've never really been given a lot of prime schedules as well in tournaments but over the past several months that the game has been out, you dont hear people from the Tekken community, like Markman, Rip, Fab, Or FightingGM bitch about that or even smear a game in the process (e.g. Divekick is a fucking flash game). They just come and play and probably bitch about how OP a character is. Other than the Marvel community, the MK community is more prone to controversy due to shitty personalities and lack of character in some members of its community.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#158  Edited By smokeyd123

@gaspower: I used to be a hardcore Tekken guy, but I've dropped off seriously trying to get good in fighters for the past few years. I NEED to get better at something other than DOA, because sadly, there's barely a community around that game. At least from what I've seen online.

@flstyle said:

@smokeyd123 Fanatiq to get Keits to purposely put one of the AGE players in a Saturday pool be cause he would only arrive late Friday night and Keits said no because he doesn't bend the rules for anyone, then the AGE panel at UFGT was cancelled by AGE but Fanatiq tried to spin it. Basically Fanatiq lies and spins tales a lot but he does it poorly because he keeps getting caught.

Fanatiq doesn't even win any majors like UFGT, he just talks shit on Twitter and goes unseen on the stream during tournament weekends constantly.

That's SUPER lame. Nobody can take the FGC seriously when idiots like that are so vocal. Granted, they're a minority, but still.

FattyLobotnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is there no UFGT9 event for Smash Bros Melee but there's a tournament for fucking Bara Bari Ball? If this is Road to Evo shouldn't the focus be on games featured in Evo 2013?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By GaspoweR

@fattylobotnik:

@flstyle: Good info sir. I know a lot of people in its community are pretty scummy. I remember there were people who were throwing matches during MLG.

EDIT: Looks like a lot of beef regarding Injustice at UFGT has been squashed thanks to Uncle Valle showing up on the On Blast Show with JamesMK and Darknatas last night and driving in some sense into people. It started with a lot of tension and it didn't necessarily had a great way to start to start to start the show and there was also some bashing and some concerns that were being brought up as a result of people complaining. Tom Brady and Perfect Legend were also there during the early half and later on Webster who was one of the people helping run the tourney came on as well as the guy who runs Focus Fire putting some perspective from their side on the argument. Rolando also came on to offer his perspective being a TO and an outsider. It wasn't until when Medina and later Arturo and Valle came on when everyone started to settle down.

Valle was the great "unifier" in this situation and he was the one who ended quashing the beef. Prior to Alex talking, Medina who is an MK streamer from the midwest as well, was explaining how Keits even was trying to help the MK community out with the set-ups months before the actual event. The show ended on a positive note with everyone agreeing that by trying to be civil the community can benefit even more instead of doing the knee jerk reaction and doing the negative thing and burning bridges in the process. I can post the link to the archived video once it's up. It was a very long show (it ended at 2 am Central time) so it's better if you can watch the entire show or watch it at close to the half way point all the way to the end. Essentially when Valle came on the show and started talking, you'd notice that everyone was silent when he started dropping his points instead of talking over him. Man, Papa Valle is really special guys. So glad to have guys like him in the community.

EDIT: Now that I think about it I think it ended past 2 AM. Also I was just in the bed watching it in the Twitch app so I just fell asleep right after that.

mccarron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This whole thing has further disappointed me as someone who has been in the MK community for close to 20 years now (I run the fansite TRMK). How people reacted to UFGT was just baby town frolics and most were online going off word of mouth and not first hand accounts. The schedule was posted two weeks prior to the event and no one complained until day one of the event. I went to UFGT and had a great time, I knew I wouldn't get out of my Injustice pools so I volunteered to help and was someone along with Webster who ran a lot of the pools. You can also say because our pool was short (9/16 players) and we ran thru them quickly and didn't send enough games to the Stream stage that I contributed the 30 minutes of Divekick casuals on the Injustice stream. Too bad I didn't see this thread until now so I could meet you other Duders at the event.

As far as On Blast Show I turned it off around 1:30am CT, despite almost turning it off many times after being offended many times by the lack of respect, the homophobic intro video, as well as the false accusations being made without any proof. So I missed Valle coming on the Stream, now I'll have to go back and watch that part, but honestly not sure how he could convince them things are any different as they seemed so set in their ways.

Also of note while being in the MK community I also am a huge supporter of Divekick since I played it earlier this year. GiantBomb was the cause of it getting on my radar, and I played it at C2E2 for the first time. I had also played it one other time at a private Chicago Developers event after C2E2. A LOT of the people complaining about Divekick aren't even playing it and also judging the game based on the year old game, not the game that is out there now. Some of the MKC wouldn't even come over to the Iron Galaxy booth to play it. I was there however when Perfect Legend did, and to quote him exactly: "This game is dope!" He then almost refused to leave to go home because he really wanted to keep playing.

Inspired by the whole #eSports Divekick running gag, as a gift to Divekick I made that custom MLB/NBA style Divekick logo (see below). Now the official Twitter account is using it and I creating a Divekick fan account @divekickers on Twitter. Also for UFGT I made a few custom hats for Keits and Iron Galaxy but those are "limited editions" in my mind.

But if any Duders want a Divekick Logo sticker private message me their address, and I'll send them a sticker as I have a few left over from UFGT9.

No Caption Provided

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By FLStyle

@mccarron: I've been aware of TRMK ever since the year build up to the release of Deadly Alliance, I'm sure you'll do a great job with Divekickers.

@mccarron: @gaspower: Thanks for dropping all that knowledge on the thread, I was aware of the On Blast show but I didn't tune in. Valle and Arturo are awesome.

mccarron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

@mccarron: I've been aware of TRMK ever since the year build up to the release of Deadly Alliance, I'm sure you'll do a great job with Divekickers.

Thanks, been doing FAQs and sites for MK since MK3 was in beta test in 1995... god damn that was a long time ago now.

I am not sure if I'll go whole hog like TRMK, I hate running forums now after so many years, but I may make it a Tumblr blog for Divekick related stuff. We'll see how much time I find but I already own www.divekickers.com so it's a possibility.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mccarron: Oh shux, I think we actually did cross paths! I dunno if you can recall but I bought a t-shirt and MR.N plush toy nearing the end of the first day at the Iron Galaxy booth. Hehe! Didn't know that you were a GB duder too. :D

Well, yeah the over-all attitude for most of the show for the first half was very immature. JamesMK at one point would interrupt just to have people call in on the phone and there were points that he wasn't even listening and was talking on the phone for a bit but good thing that wasn't the case by the time Medina came on the show. So much misinformation/theories was being spread around to the point that it came off as conspiratorial. I'm glad that Valle actually chimed in and he gave this speech telling them to just stop raging and deal with the problem constructively instead of going off without even talking with the TO directly. There was a point that Valle after that asked them a question and there was a good 5- 8 seconds of complete silence before somebody responded. EVEN CDJr himself by the end of the show even admitted that he went overboard. He was really like a dad telling his kids to stop all this nonsense and CALM THE FUCK DOWN. It was great seeing this all unfold.

mccarron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

@mccarron: O

h shux, I think we actually did cross paths! I dunno if you can recall but I bought a t-shirt and MR.N plush toy nearing the end of the first day at the Iron Galaxy booth. Hehe! Didn't know that you were a GB duder too. :D

Oh yeah I remember that, very few people bought the plushies when I was around so yes I remember you. I've been around here forever but don't fall into the forums much, which is a shame really as everyone here is great. If I wasn't running pools I was hanging around the IGS booth playing Divekick or just shooting the shit. I don't see myself entering MK or INJ as a serious contender but I am debating playing Divekick competitively.

@gaspower said:

@mccarron: O

Well, yeah the over-all attitude for most of the show for the first half was very immature. JamesMK at one point would interrupt just to have people call in on the phone and there were points that he wasn't even listening and was talking on the phone for a bit but good thing that wasn't the case by the time Medina came on the show. So much misinformation/theories was being spread around to the point that it came off as conspiratorial. I'm glad that Valle actually chimed in and he gave this speech telling them to just stop raging and deal with the problem constructively instead of going off without even talking with the TO directly. There was a point that Valle after that asked them a question and there was a good 5- 8 seconds of complete silence before somebody responded. EVEN CDJr himself by the end of the show even admitted that he went overboard. He was really like a dad telling his kids to

stop all this nonsense and

CALM THE FUCK DOWN

. It was great seeing this all unfold.

Yeah I gave up before Medina got on, he was begging in chat and he had info they needed to know. He's a smart kid and actually tried to answer some unknowns, glad he got on. Didn't expect Valle to get on either, what he said sounds similar to things we said at the event. A few of us constructed what we think the community SHOULD do but they wanted to boycott the top eight instead. I'll have to wait until they put up the Youtube videos as they don't allow people to watch their Archives.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.