Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Evolve

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 09, 2015

Evolve is a class-based cooperative-competitive game in which a team of four hunters chase after an evolving monster, also controlled by a player.

Evolve goes free to play on PC

• 51 results
    Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Turtle Rock have announced that Evolve is now a free to play game on PC as of today. Maybe console will go free to play too if it seems viable after testing on the PC. They also plan to keep developing for it, which makes sense if it's going to be a free to play game.

If you where one of the few people who actually bought it, you'll get a "Founders" status associated with your account, keep everything you own and be rewarded with free gifts and special access - which probably means early access to new weapons/characters or cheaper access to them.

This is probably how it should've launched. The devs are blaming (in their words) "a DLC shitstorm" on why people got bummed out about the game at launch.

I'll probably give it a shot. Evolve sounded like a great idea mudded by a poor DLC plan and the requirement for steady teamwork. It was difficult to convince 3 other people to go in on the game when it launched.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I always thought this would happen, I just didn't think it would take them this long. It might be too little too late though, who knows. I'm way past the point of caring enough about Evolve to even try a F2P version.

To give everyone an idea of just how dead Evolve is, here are the daily peak player counts from the last few weeks. It's been like this for awhile, too. A sub-200 peak player count is normal and has been for a long time.

No Caption Provided

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Developers already have such a difficult task with a multiplayer only new IP, so it's just crazy to see a developer of a game like this tell everyone upfront that they'll be dividing the already tiny community several times over with DLC. Why on earth did they think people would support that? How did anyone think that was a good idea?

[edit]

Nevermind, I was confusing this with another game.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By gundogan

@mike: Yea, I felt I got most out of the game during the beta. The concept is cool, but the games are very repetitive (hide-and-seek until the monster is level 3) unless there's a huge skillgap between the monster player and the hunter players. It needed (still needs) more variation in the map and more gameplay elements in those maps.

But hey, still more players than Umbrella Corps which had a hot playercount of 37 as the last 24h peak!

@spaceinsomniac: To be fair, the new maps are free right? So everyone can still play with eachother, except not everyone has the newer hunter and monsters.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Developers already have such a difficult task with a multiplayer only new IP, so it's just crazy to see a developer of a game like this tell everyone upfront that they'll be dividing the already tiny community several times over with DLC. Why on earth did they think people would support that? How did anyone think that was a good idea?

They said before launch all maps and new modes would be free, and if you use a DLC character, anyone can still join and play. Not sure how thats diving the community?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: How long until 2K pushes for Battleborn to do the same thing? It's been hovering around 1000 players on Steam for the last two weeks.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Original_Hank

F2P makes so much more sense for this game. People are already on board with the League of Legends "pay for a hero" type content. This would be the same thing. I really hope this works out better for them.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By atomicoldman

@spaceinsomniac: The game was dying off before the first character pack dropped. Once it was announced that there would be over a hundred dollars of DLC, people just wrote the game off, but most of that was cosmetic and would actively hinder you as the skins made it much easier to spot players. That said, 25 bucks a pop for character packs is crazy. I don't regret buying Evolve and had a lot of fun with it, but I do regret dropping 25 on a character pack that I used maybe a couple times because the game was dead. Granted I should have checked to see how active it was but OOPSIE DOOPS.

I'd love an excuse to go back to Evolve but I don't think this'll be it. It's too little too late. Really I think if they wanted to continue with the IP they would have been much better off pushing out an Evolve 2 and stress the changes they've made to make it more consumer friendly.

Oh well. At least I have Battlefront, that has a whole 2k people. That's like ten times the amount as Evolve!

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@atomicoldman: @wheresderrick: @gundogan:

Sorry, I think I was confusing this with another game. I guess it just comes down to the fact that a mutliplayer only new IP can be a tough sell. I think only Overwatch pulled it off recently. Perhaps also Titanfall.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the point of this in 2016? Do they really think a bunch of people are going to start getting into the game now? It sold over a million according to them so it isn't just cost that killed the player base. The game just isn't well designed (the number one issue is that so much time is spent with the monster evading the hunters, leading to very long stretches for hunters of just chasing around the map.) Maybe they are hoping to build some momentum before the sequel but doing this years later after Overwatch had sucked all the energy out of the room for team multiplayer seems too little way too late.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

About a year too late.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By atomicoldman

@spaceinsomniac: I think the way people perceived the DLC is still one of the major culprits. I recall people dismissing the game before launch because of that.

edit: I know for me personally, besides the quickly dying playerbase, one of the biggest reasons I dropped out was because more and more people seemed to not know how to play their role. The absolute worst was if your trapper was the weak link, because you'd wander aimlessly while the monster built up to the third stage. I remember lots of salty post-game chats because someone dropped the ball in a major way, and that's no fun.

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this game from the beginning. I hope this will bring in enough players for it to become playable again.

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really enjoyed what I played of this game. If this causes a resurgence, I'd certainly give the game another shot.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atomicoldman: It always seemed like the game didn't do enough to introduce you to your role and ease players into it.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mems1224

@atomicoldman said:

@spaceinsomniac: I think the way people perceived the DLC is still one of the major culprits. I recall people dismissing the game before launch because of that.

edit: I know for me personally, besides the quickly dying playerbase, one of the biggest reasons I dropped out was because more and more people seemed to not know how to play their role. The absolute worst was if your trapper was the weak link, because you'd wander aimlessly while the monster built up to the third stage. I remember lots of salty post-game chats because someone dropped the ball in a major way, and that's no fun.

People raged about the wrong DLC. The cosmetic stuff got the most attention but it was the most insignificant. An even bigger problem was the way overpriced season pass that didnt even include the new monster, just the hunters. even then, it was too much.

I really hope this boosts the playerbase because i really loved that game.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@mike: Fucking hell, I knew the numbers were dire but yeesh. I too expected them to go F2P much sooner than this. I thought the game was at the very least interesting but with such a small playerbase I never took the plunge. Same with Titanfall.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: I just stuck to assault and learned by proxy. Watch what other people do, what other people get upset about, and what other people demand, and kind of build off of that. I learned Wraith by watching people play it well and poorly, then took the leap and found I was absurdly good at it.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their business plan is... *ahem*... evolving.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just put it out of its misery, admit it didn't work out and move on to new projects.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I hope this works out for them and the players. My son really liked this game quite a bit and the couple times I played it on his rig were pretty fun and I'd like to see more done with it through either continued support or a sequel. The messaging on this game was just all wrong.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spoonman671

I'm surprised they didn't just go for a sequel, since it did sell well enough for it. I guess they still want to make up for post-release content costs. I doubt the season passes sold as well as the base game.

I loved the game and was quite surprised after the absurd amount of shit-talking people were doing around launch.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game had a good concept but i think 1 vs 4 just doesnt reallt go well for competitive multiplayer, especially with that awkward esports push. Maybe something similar with co-op mode vs an ai?

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By personandstuff

I doubt I'll ever play it as much as they want me to. It'll never be my esport or even my regular multiplayer game. But now, I think I'll play it some.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShaggE

I hope the console versions follow suit. I've always wanted to try Evolve, but it's obviously hard to justify buying an MP-only game that's been on its deathbed for so long.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a great reason for me to jump back in. I REALLY enjoyed what I played of it, but other games just started taking up it's time (I'm looking at you Diablo 3: RoS Seasons).

People were really too hard on this game, and with the price tag I can at least understand why; but with this going free-to-play I honestly think everyone should give it a shot. It might surprise the lot of you.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Never played it, I'll give it a try now.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NeoCalypso
    @kseoul said:

Seems like a great reason for me to jump back in. I REALLY enjoyed what I played of it, but other games just started taking up it's time (I'm looking at you Diablo 3: RoS Seasons).

People were really too hard on this game, and with the price tag I can at least understand why; but with this going free-to-play I honestly think everyone should give it a shot. It might surprise the lot of you.

The uproar was always totally puzzling to me because everyone was getting mad about DLC prices and seemingly ignoring the part where the game wasn't actually that fun to play for more than a couple of hours.

On the topic of the game am I totally crazy or is there literally no way to find out what each individual character does in the game. I think once you're IN a lobby and picking characters you can at least see the names of the various abilities but zero indication of what they actually do. That just seems completely absurd considering how deficient the tutorial is.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Hope it goes F2P on PS4 as well. Since I have never bought a multiplayer only fps game. It's just not a genre that appeals to me. Now I know that Evolve is not strictly a fps game like for example Overwatch but it's still a game I have been hesitant to pay for. Good thing I didn't all things considered.

Evolve has a cool premise and I want to try it but only if it's F2P.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

how long until Battleborn joins the F2P fray?

Maybe a year?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i payed full price for this game and i am totally ok with them making it free to play. I even get some in-game currency how nice of them !

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just put it out of its misery, admit it didn't work out and move on to new projects.

this.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By atomicoldman

@neocalypso: It tells you once it's loading you into a map, or at least it used to. If it's your first time picking the assault class, for example, it will cut to a little vignette explaining each skill and what your objective should be. There is (was?) a single player mode that would just drop you into a game with bots if you wanted to test a character out.

I'm still downloading this 18gb update so idk if they stripped that stuff out (it would be an odd choice.) Checked to see the stats for the game on steam and there's 12k in game, which is way up from the 200 players just prior to now, but whether or not it actually sustains that is anybody's guess. Evolve was active for like a month after release before hemorrhaging users like crazy.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

This game was in my top 10 of last year. For some reason it hooked me and I just couldn't not stop playing it and I was a bit bummed at the reception due to the whole dlc shitshow (which looking back was blown way out of proportion). I'm a little irked that it's PC only as I own the game on ps4 with one of the season passes, so I'm debating on whether to just wait for it to update there (hopefully) or if I should just jump back in on PC.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I remember playing the beta and being kind "okay i guess?" on it and never buying it, but I just played a few matches today and I feel like that was enough. There's just something that feels 'off' about how the gameplay feels, at least to me. I might try again later, it's a cool concept but I just don't think the execution is good enough.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

this took a lot longer then imagined. I still wonder what caused this to take so long? was it publishers or retailers who held out so long?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reading some more about what's happening to Evolve, I have to say that some of the gameplay changes they're making seem like really bad ideas. Giving all hunters access to the dome just seems kind of dumb to me, especially when they say it's because Trappers took the most skill to use. It really wasn't that hard to pop the dome when you were near the monster.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spoonman671: I don't think it's that terrible, considering that is the one class that kind of makes or breaks your ability to do serious damage to the monster. With the influx of new players I wouldn't want to have to rely on someone who doesn't know how to play the class properly yet.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atomicoldman: So those little vignettes do seem to be gone, haven't seen one for any of the classes. I did however find that you can see what your abilities do once you're actually fully in a match if you press escape/start. Which while not quite as stupid as not being to see them at all is pretty dang dumb. That's the kind of info you really need when picking a character in the first place.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By atomicoldman

@neocalypso: The patch notes do mention they were aiming to make load times faster, so it's likely they got axed because the load times were no longer long enough to facilitate them. That said, they would have been smart to leave that in somewhere, maybe have it accessible in the same menu section as the tutorial.

@spoonman671 I'm a bout to hop in so I guess I'll find out, but I wonder if the dome has a shorter duration, or if once one person uses it, everyone shares the same cooldown. It would be kind of shitty if each hunter can pop it one after the other with the duration being unaffected.

EDIT: So hunters share one dome, all on the same recharge, which makes it seem pretty fair. Balances out to being the same, but if you have a trapper that's a total dipshit then at least someone can pick up the slack and dome. The ping thing seems to have a fairly small radius too.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Spoonman671

@original_hank: I agree, they probably did this for all the new players they're hoping to get, but I don't think it's a good idea to cater to people who are at once inexperienced AND unwilling to learn. It may solve a short-term problem, but I think it's harmful to the long-term health of the gameplay experience to make decisions on that basis. It just seems short-sighted to me. I don't mean to come off as elitist or anything, I just think it's okay for some games to expect a little bit more from their players, and require them to figure things out and get better.

But what's it matter? I have the game on PS4, and haven't played it in months. Probably too busy with Paragon to switch over to it if/when it does become free-to-play on consoles as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The idea behind Evolve always seemed kind of neat. If people actually start playing it now I might try it out.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember another issue with this game was them shoving this games down peoples throats as the next big thing in esports, which I honestly never understood and sorta rubbed me the wrong way after. I'm gonna download it and give a shot since I never felt the need to buy this game when there was a charge.

Game sorta reminds me of titanfall, hot for a second and the gaming community just moves on to whatever else there is.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

Guys, Evolve kind of owns now.

As someone said earlier, the dome is now shared by all Hunters. I'll go over the changes real quick, actually.

• All Hunters have the Trapper Dome. When the Monster is in sight, and in range, holding F activates. Hunters can freely enter and exit the dome. The Hunters and Monster taking large amounts of damage cause the timer on the dome to drop in rather large chunks, which can allow the monster to break out early.
    • The Trapper now has a Planet Scanner to replace it. It shows the Hunters the rough direction of the Monster on their compass. Somewhat short cooldown.
    • Bucket no longer removes his own head for a remote control UAV. He can lower the cooldowns on the other Hunters instead. I am unsure if other Hunters have had ability changes.
    • Hunts are the only mode at the moment.
    • Hunts are about 4 minutes long, with the time pausing during combat.
    • Weekly rotation of free Hunters and a free Monster.
    • "Keys" are the currency earned after matches. They are used to buy characters, weapon skins, character skins, or perks. Perks are also unlocked by playing.
    • Playing as the same character consistently levels them up. This doesn't do anything other than move you along their unlock tree. Unlocks include perks, more keys, stuff like that.
    • Perks are things like "faster jetpack recharge" and "more jump height". Every perk is in each of the three categories, in differing efficiencies.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sdoots: Bucket's UAV is gone? That was my favorite ability!

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never heard any good buzz from this game at the time. F2P seems like the logical choice for them but I still couldn't be less interested.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ripelivejam

i always got the impression everyone kinda wanted them to fail (i think even before the whole dlc thing). it just seems that when people see a primarily multiplayer game nowadays it's gotta be F2P otherwise they're charging too much. i guess i'm part of the problem since i didn't buy in when it was a paid game (did consider it), but i never saw issue with them charging for the base game (the somewhat egregious dlc strategy is probably a different story).

i'll most likely check it out now that it has a playerbase again and, who knows, maybe throw a few bucks their way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.