Playing With Random?

yesac2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The game looks rad but if I don't have many friends getting the game to play with, how well does it usually go playing with randoms online?

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By emfromthesea

I would equate it to Battlefield 4. You can do well and have fun in Battlefield 4 when playing with randoms, but you will always have an edge if you're communicating and working with friends. I've mostly played with random people and most people I have played with knew the role of their specific class well enough for the group to succeed.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Wacomole

@sunbrozak said:

I would equate it to Battlefield 4. You can do well and have fun in Battlefield 4 when playing with randoms, but you will always have an edge if you're communicating and working with friends. I've mostly played with random people and most people I have played with knew the role of their specific class well enough for the group to succeed.

From what I can tell as an outsider looking in, the difference, though, is that you can be really bad at Battlefield 4 while you're still learning the ins and outs of your class and it won't make THAT much of difference to your team as there's like a dozen other players of your class. In this game... you're it and if you don't know what you're doing I can imagine some other players would be all too ready to let you know how they feel about it.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@wacomole said:

@sunbrozak said:

From what I can tell as an outsider looking in, the difference, though, is that you can be really bad at Battlefield 4 while you're still learning the ins and outs of your class and it won't make THAT much of difference to your team as there's like a dozen other players of your class. In this game... you're it and if you don't know what you're doing I can imagine some other players would be all too ready to let you know how they feel about it.

That's definitely true. A bad medic can bring down an entire team. I haven't run into too much of that, but that's just my experience.

That said, I think the bots are quite good and a great way of learning certain characters. It's also not going to take you a long time to figure out a character's quirks. A couple of matches should be enough for you to know how to play your class. That doesn't speak for the other people in the team, but I would hope matchmaking will put you with similarly experienced players.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If fine with randoms. The game isn't that hard to understand, people always stick together in my experience. As long as they know how to play the class it's all good. Even if they don't it's still possible to win.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Doesn't seem any better or worse than other games. In fact it may better, considering how obvious the design is. Reminds of Mass Effect multiplayer in a way. People go their own way until they get tired of dying, then learn to stick together.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My copy arrives tomorrow, since UPS didn't ring my doorbell and already left...

Anyway, is voice chat enabled in the game? One of the (many) reasons I stopped playing Destiny was because no one would use their god damn voice.

If it's enabled by default, then I'd love some direction/assistance in how to "play my class".

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: Well Krogan Warlord is basically completely invincible if played correctly so why can't he go do his own thing?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Sackmanjones

I've been playin with randoms and having an absolute blast with the game. Seriously, I really had my doubts about this game until my friends were getting it so I kinda opted in. Boy am I surprised by how much fun Im having. It's one of those games where once you grab the basics and it starts to click it REALLY clicks

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@geraltitude: Well Krogan Warlord is basically completely invincible if played correctly so why can't he go do his own thing?

He can.

Exceptions prove the rule?

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I only play with randoms and it's fine. I felt bad when I was learning my class and clearly dragging the team down, but I learned fast. The bigger problem seems to be a lack of full games

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play with randoms. I usually mute everyone and spam r3 spot, seems to get most people on the right track. Eventually the match making will stop pairing you with people who don't know how to play so the problem won't be there for very long.

JohanHoue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a group of people here on GB that plays regularly? I'm kinda on the fence getting Evolve because I dont have 4 other friends with consoles as me, but playing with someone from here might be awesome. I have a feeling playing with randoms might be a poor experience.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I just picked up this game yesterday and found the game fairly frustrating to play as a medic, I often wasn't able to keep up with my team and when we did corner the monster, he'd see that green healing beam and focus on me. I'm sure it will get better as I figure things out, but it didn't leave a very good first impression.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 25

@fredchuckdave said:

He can.

Exceptions prove the rule?

Dammit, I was contemplating picking up Evolve but now I just want to go play ME3 multiplayer some more. Anyway, I think the one caveat with Evolve is that the monster being a one man team means that in a match full of solo players they'd have an advantage, because they don't need to communicate while the hunters are relying on each other and require at least some modicum of co-ordination to do well.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't know? Just picked it up. Played two rounds and went right back to destiny... It seems fun but not having friends to play with kind of sucks. Il dig more time into it on my weekend.

mr__kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine with randoms if everyone knows how to play their class. The goal is simple and everyone knows what they have to do (kill the monster) so everyone is going to be actively looking for the monster, the key is getting paired with people who know their class (and their character, since even the characters in the same class play very differently) so they can effectively pull their own weight (trapper needs to get that dome up (and not get downed immediately otherwise the dome goes down), medic keep everyone healed/alive, assault has to be in there and dealing damage, etc)

It is hit or miss, if you're paired with players who don't understand the role they have to play, it'll be a tough time. Alternatively, if you are up against a monster player who doesn't know what he/she is doing, it'll be a very easy fight.

It can get frustrating with people running off on their own and get eaten by a plant and are too far away to get to them in time. But as the game is out longer, the people who know what their doing will float to the top, I'm sure.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bemusedchunk: Yeah, voice chat is in it. But it's kind of bad. My friend sounds clear as hell when we're in a party chat but one time we tried without being in a party and he sounded awful.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

Personally I've found the game to be pretty bad with randoms. I've played about 6 games and none have been a great experience yet. Regretting my purchase at the moment

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My copy arrives tomorrow, since UPS didn't ring my doorbell and already left...

Anyway, is voice chat enabled in the game? One of the (many) reasons I stopped playing Destiny was because no one would use their god damn voice.

If it's enabled by default, then I'd love some direction/assistance in how to "play my class".

One nice thing about the game is that it's very up-front with direction about how a class is intended to be played. Each character (not just each class) has two short tutorial videos that detail their four weapons/powers and even a recommended priority for them. E.g. when playing a medic character named Val, the game tells you to prioritize hitting the monster with a tranq dart, then healing other players, and then using your armor-piercing rifle to create weak spots on the monster.

Most random players I've played with have at least that level of understanding, which makes things a lot easier.

Where things get a little more muddled are in tracking and flanking strategies, which seem to change on the game's forums and Reddit as new ideas are shared. Finding and trapping the monster with a pub group is consistently harder than with a group of 4 on party chat. But I still absolutely love this game.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I've played a tonne of random matches. About 50% of them end with me crying in a corner because the team I'm playing with simply do not communicate. The other half I've found some cool people, played several matches together, and then I just added them on Steam under an Evolve. Now when my mates aren't online, I've got a group of people that I know will at least try to work together as a team.

Maybe we could set up some kind of GB Evolve hunting team so you can play with less random people?

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had no problems with randoms on PC. Most people play their class and even use the spotting mechanic, if everyone is doing those two things you don't really need any more communication than that. As a hunter, I've won about 90% of the matches. The learning curve for monster is much steeper so naturally most people are gonna be bad at it this early on. However, once people start getting better at playing the monster, voice communication may become more valuable. Especially against those damn teleporting wraiths.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Wraiths are the worst - lost every game I've come up against them.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

@jackel2072: Man out of pure curiosity, did you purchase Destiny just recently? Cause if not then.. what are you still doing in it??

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Sooperspy

@awesomeusername said:

@bemusedchunk: Yeah, voice chat is in it. But it's kind of bad. My friend sounds clear as hell when we're in a party chat but one time we tried without being in a party and he sounded awful.

Yeah the voice chat in-game really is quite shitty. It just sounds awful and I don't understand why that is. Not too many people wear headsets to talk in-game these days anyways, and I don't really mind/don't think this game really needs voice chat for a team to be successful. You just need everyone to play their part and mark the monster if they see it and you'll at least give a good fight, if not win, most of the time as the hunters.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant bomb has such a unique community.

I can read comments/responses and actually enjoy reading them.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@redbullet685: true. No one really needs mics if they know how to play but they should still fix it. My brothers playing right now and this dudes mic sounds grating. Makes me glad I have people to play with.

JohanHoue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone wants to play on the PS4 feel free to add me, my handle is Johanhoue

EmperorMeow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feel free to add me under Steam ID Starb123...

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had some good luck with randoms. still win most of my matches and even added some new friends

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I win most of my matches as a hunter and have been playing with random people almost all of the time. Most randos do a pretty good job of pinging when they see the monster and doing their job when you start ending up with a decent MMR. You might have to offer advice from time to time such as telling the trapper to follow you so you can cut off the monster as a support or telling Lazarus to not go for a revive when the monster is sitting on the corpse. When I lose, it's usually because of positioning errors or bad decisions.

That said, I have yet to play a game as hunter where every other person has no idea what they're doing. At least one other person on the team knows how to play their class.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.