Follow

Evolve

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 09, 2015

Evolve is a class-based cooperative-competitive game in which a team of four hunters chase after an evolving monster, also controlled by a player.

Turtlerock ends support for Evolve. Servers will still stay up "for the foreseeable future."

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Acura_Max

It's a sad day for those who were hoping that Evolve could turn around the trajectory of the game after going free to play. Today, Turtle Rock studio announced that they will no longer be supporting the game anymore. That means that there will be no future updates planned and that servers will still be up as long as 2K feels like keeping it up.

Turtle Rock statement: https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/our-final-message-to-our-evolve-community/106117

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

It sucks, but it felt kinda inevitable. The F2P shift just didn't seem to garner enough interest to shake them free of the stink from the DLC fiasco. Shame though, it's a fun game with a neat aesthetic.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

This game is probably one of the larger misreads of what people would be into that I can remember in recent years. The marketing budget suggested they thought it would click in a big way. But maybe that was more wishful thinking than calculation.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is probably one of the larger misreads of what people would be into that I can remember in recent years. The marketing budget suggested they thought it would click in a big way. But maybe that was more wishful thinking than calculation.

the core concept was solid, but probably marketed poorly. that said i probably should have put money where my mouth is and bought in when it was somewhat popular. maybe should have been F2P when it started. still think the amount of snark and derision aimed its way was unwarranted; how dare they try something different?!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Evolve was a shit game, but it's sad to see this when they were trying to turn it into something decent.

jcracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@veektarius said:

the core concept was solid, but probably marketed poorly. that said i probably should have put money where my mouth is and bought in when it was somewhat popular. maybe should have been F2P when it started. still think the amount of snark and derision aimed its way was unwarranted; how dare they try something different?!

I think a big problem was that, like Titanfall, it kept wooing press and con attendees but unlike Titanfall it didn't seem too spectacular watching trailers or gameplay. Add in the fact that at the time, many were convinced that Titanfall was "manufactured hype" given that the game came out and then died on the vine almost immediately despite being sold as an incredibly fun and amazing game. There were a lot of parallels between the two in terms of marketing run-up, the main difference being that Evolve's single concept was maybe a little thin for what it was billed as. Plus when Titanfall had failed with low amounts of content, Respawn went in and added a bunch more for free, later making paid content free, as well. In comparison it seemed like Evolve was nickel-and-diming the smallest bits of new content. There was just so much to hate on that there was no way any game was going to survive that.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw it coming, but ouch.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Can honestly say I spent a good 100 or more hours in this game on PS4 and anothe 15 on the stage 2 edition. Hell I even found a cheap code for the founders pack. I was really hoping this revival would boost evolve into a sustainable multiplayer game but sadly it couldn't even keep me going.

I really think this game deserves one more sequel to maybe start initially off on the right foot. Whether or not that is a 60 dollar product or s game starting as free to play in the first place, who can say. I just really want TurtleRock to have one more shot at this concept. Pretty bummed out by this...

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MezZa

Sorry to hear that for those who liked it and hoped it would take a more positive trajectory. I really liked the concept and look of the game, but as soon as I got in on that free steam beta and played a few matches with a friend, I had one of those sudden disappointing realizations of "man, I don't think I like this game". There was possibly a good idea here, but the overall implementation just wasn't fun for me.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

One trick ponies aren't fun to watch for very long.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest mistake with Evolve was 2K publishing it and forcing in all the microtransactions

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Maybe we'll get something more like Left 4 Dead from them again. I'd sure play that.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@veektarius said:

The snark and derision wasn't because they tried something different, it was because they tried to shove it down people's throats as an esport, when it was clearly never going to be that. Gamers are like 'fuck off, we'll determine what is and what isn't going to be played at a highly competitive level'. Is that Turtle Rock's fault or 2K's fault? I don't know for sure, but companies not named Blizzard should focus on just making the best game possible not targeting that esports money.

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is one case where the Beta/Demo really didn't help at all. Before release I was interested but the Beta was so dull, no one knew what was going on, matches reduced to everyone running in circles, the unlocks didn't seem to make any sense. Anecdotally I know 4 people including myself who were put off purchasing because the Beta was lacklustre

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Obligatory cynical Crowbcat video:

Loading Video...

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed what I played of the game, both at launch, and when the re-launched as free to play. It's a shame it didn't have more longevity, but hardly surprising considering the repetivity of the game.

Not everything can be L4D or Payday.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ThePanzini

@hippie_genocide said:
    @ripelivejam said:
    @veektarius said:

The snark and derision wasn't because they tried something different, it was because they tried to shove it down people's throats as an esport, when it was clearly never going to be that. Gamers are like 'fuck off, we'll determine what is and what isn't going to be played at a highly competitive level'. Is that Turtle Rock's fault or 2K's fault? I don't know for sure, but companies not named Blizzard should focus on just making the best game possible not targeting that esports money.

Evolve sold more than 2 million copies and sank like a stone the game was just boring after going F2P another ~4 million players played the game even with Turtle Rocks changes the game died a quick death for the second time. 2K made alot of cash out of Evolve which was bought out of the THQ fire sale it wouldn't have been greenlit by anyone else but THQ were desperate, publishers always know how good their games are and 2K knew Evolve would die fast so they pumped it up as the next big e-sport and pushed the season pass.

Evolve was marketed fantastically well nearly 5 million people played Evolve on PC alone, the e-sports and microtransactions were a non issue it was the game Evolve was just boring and died twice as a result.

http://steamspy.com/app/273350

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't even blame the overhyped esports marketing or the byzantine preorder options for it losing me.

I just had no interest in that type of asymmetrical pvp game. 4 v 1 just didn't appeal to me.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flat out it stunk.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.