Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Exoskeleton

Object » linked to 29 games

Exoskeletons are artificial body suits that enable the wearer with inhuman strength, enhanced durability, and other superior capabilities that would be impossible to obtain otherwise.

Apparently This Is Real

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Edited By Tylea002

I Found This on Kotaku

No Caption Provided
    First off, a helpful link to the Kotaku Story. Have you all read that now? No? Well don't worry cause I'll paraphrase.

*ahem*

There is going to be, apparently, a video game like cybernetic suit for use by the army. And they have called it: "Future Soldier 2030." Now I have no idea how credible this is, but its great blog material, so lets roll with it. Lets list the features of this suit now:
    • Strength Enhancing Exoskeleton
    • In Helmet HUD
    • Voice commands
    • "Data Glove"
    • Advanced Nanomaterial
    • Biometric Headgear.
    • Combat Enhancing Drugs

Obviously this is all in the concept stage, and as the picture to the right shows, it looks exactly like Shepard's suits from Mass Effect. So, the Army come up with a ridiculously cool concept, but then they fail in other areas. Like the naming. "Future Soldier 2030." Seriously, they didn't use some kind of acronym? Like N.I.C.E: Nanomaterial Individual Combat Exoskeleton. If they are gonna nick the combat suits from video games, they should really nick the cheezy names we give them.

Now, In Helmet HUD.  I'm still reeling in shock over this one. Its very helpful in video games, but all it will serve to do in REAL warfare is simply distract you, right? Though the thought of a soldier seeing his own health bar, whilst thats obviously not what they mean, still made me chuckle. Actually, it may happen, as the picture shows:
    "Physiological sensors that continuously monitor the soldier's health."
    Make it happen, US army. Please, it's such a funny idea. How depressed would that make a soldier to see there bar flashing red and then NOT regenerate?

The best one for me was the Voice Commands. Allow me to take a chunk of the Kotaku story here:
    "Features Include...voice commands that unlock a weapon or set it to less-than-lethal force"
    I saw Star Trek last week. So all I can imagine is that there is going to be a combat suit that will respond to the phrase: "Set Phasers to Stun." If thats not going to be a feature of this suit, then by god they should just give up on this crazy idea right now.

Also, I mentioned the similarity to the Mass Effect suits. IT EVEN HAS A THING ON THE WRIST TO CONTROL ROBOTS. Granted, its not orange and a floating hologram, but haven't bioware sued or something?

The rest is almost all predictable video game jargon that WE have heard before, Advanced Nanomaterial, Biometric Headgear, Combat Enhancing Drugs. Wait? Drugs? The Army are actually going to make Haze a reality? There are oh so many negative connotations for that possibility that I am worried to even mention it. When you put your soldiers inside a NANOMACHINE POWERED EXOSKELETON, why do you need to pump drugs into them? Well, if thats what it takes to include a health bar and "Set Phasers to Stunned" then go ahead actually, I'd love to see that.

In Other News...

• I've been constantly listening to 21st Century Breakdown. It rules. You should too.
    • Apart from that, I've had exams. So not much.
    Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Tylea002

I Found This on Kotaku

No Caption Provided
    First off, a helpful link to the Kotaku Story. Have you all read that now? No? Well don't worry cause I'll paraphrase.

*ahem*

There is going to be, apparently, a video game like cybernetic suit for use by the army. And they have called it: "Future Soldier 2030." Now I have no idea how credible this is, but its great blog material, so lets roll with it. Lets list the features of this suit now:
    • Strength Enhancing Exoskeleton
    • In Helmet HUD
    • Voice commands
    • "Data Glove"
    • Advanced Nanomaterial
    • Biometric Headgear.
    • Combat Enhancing Drugs

Obviously this is all in the concept stage, and as the picture to the right shows, it looks exactly like Shepard's suits from Mass Effect. So, the Army come up with a ridiculously cool concept, but then they fail in other areas. Like the naming. "Future Soldier 2030." Seriously, they didn't use some kind of acronym? Like N.I.C.E: Nanomaterial Individual Combat Exoskeleton. If they are gonna nick the combat suits from video games, they should really nick the cheezy names we give them.

Now, In Helmet HUD.  I'm still reeling in shock over this one. Its very helpful in video games, but all it will serve to do in REAL warfare is simply distract you, right? Though the thought of a soldier seeing his own health bar, whilst thats obviously not what they mean, still made me chuckle. Actually, it may happen, as the picture shows:
    "Physiological sensors that continuously monitor the soldier's health."
    Make it happen, US army. Please, it's such a funny idea. How depressed would that make a soldier to see there bar flashing red and then NOT regenerate?

The best one for me was the Voice Commands. Allow me to take a chunk of the Kotaku story here:
    "Features Include...voice commands that unlock a weapon or set it to less-than-lethal force"
    I saw Star Trek last week. So all I can imagine is that there is going to be a combat suit that will respond to the phrase: "Set Phasers to Stun." If thats not going to be a feature of this suit, then by god they should just give up on this crazy idea right now.

Also, I mentioned the similarity to the Mass Effect suits. IT EVEN HAS A THING ON THE WRIST TO CONTROL ROBOTS. Granted, its not orange and a floating hologram, but haven't bioware sued or something?

The rest is almost all predictable video game jargon that WE have heard before, Advanced Nanomaterial, Biometric Headgear, Combat Enhancing Drugs. Wait? Drugs? The Army are actually going to make Haze a reality? There are oh so many negative connotations for that possibility that I am worried to even mention it. When you put your soldiers inside a NANOMACHINE POWERED EXOSKELETON, why do you need to pump drugs into them? Well, if thats what it takes to include a health bar and "Set Phasers to Stunned" then go ahead actually, I'd love to see that.

In Other News...

• I've been constantly listening to 21st Century Breakdown. It rules. You should too.
    • Apart from that, I've had exams. So not much.
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ZeroCast

Is this really going to happen? Really?? Because you know, when i saw that picture i laughed so hard that i thought it wasn't real, but then i read your Blog, paused for a second and read the Kotaku story, here is what i think:

What.The.Fuck

I love technology, i really really do, but this? This is pure stupidness, a soldier in war will never reach this level of tech because he doesn't need it, they are professionals on there own, hell i have heard that the U.S army have been using iPods to download programs and use them to identify targets across battle, i just don't think this will ever work and believe me that "Helmet HUD" is not going to last a second when it gets hit by a passing AK-47 bullet.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Tylea002

Oh of course, in reality, this is the most stupid Idea ever. That doesn't mean I don't want to see it, laugh at it, and get on with my life.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Carlos1408

LOL

I think your blog post is better than the article itself lol. :)

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tylea002

No, it's a concept document, thats just an early stage in today's world. This is planned for 2030, when we'll all eat from tablets and our cars will be computer controlled, and hover.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead
    'Come on, you apes! Do you want to live forever?!'
    Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tylea002
    PeasForFees said:
    I feel that i should post the MOD's "Non-Microsoft" Xbox 360 controller for their UAVs. Why, MOD Why!WHY [more]
    Well, controllers are designed to be multi-purpose and fit nicely in the hand...
    Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tylea002
    PeasForFees said:
    @Tylea002: But what is wrong with a proper aeroplane controller?
    Nothing, I was ever so slightly sarcastic on my other post. Its stupid. The analogue sticks aren't NEARLY sensitive enough for aeroplane controls.
    Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Jensonb

Awesome stuff Tylea, finally soldiers are going to start looking like Master Chief.

Also...Yes, 21st Century Breakdown rules. All should listen to it's insane levels of brilliance

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By lord_canti

i think it will happen it just wont look like that theyl perfect it then roll it out make it more styleish make it more slimlined and probaly lighter coz well it looks like it would be heavy

fixerofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By fixerofdeath

Wow, this is really a stupid idea, theres more that could go wrong with these things than go right.

All I'm waiting for now is regenerating shields, super human strength. and a wrist mounted hologram of the sergeant giving orders.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By DCFGS3

Yeps, I reckon this is just a really crap, or realistic, version of future warfare, although the visor will be blacked out, like Master Chief, just like Master Chief...

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Johnny5

Also reading, what biometrical facial recognition to identify insurgents? How the fuck is that going to work?

** WARNING **
    TOWEL HEAD DETECTED? does it just scan for hand towel patterns?

or maybe excessive facial hair?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Red

I'm thinking this would be better used for something like in that movie "Gamer", where the dude is being controlled by someone else for entertainment.

In other words: it's pretty freaking dumb.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.