Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

F1 2010

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Developed by Codemasters and using the Ego engine, Formula One 2010 is the first truly next generation F1 game that contains all the cars, drivers and tracks from the 2010 season, putting a heavy emphasis on simulating real life weather effects.

Pitstops are just plain broke.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Davvyk

First off i am LOVING this game but one thing is totally broken, Pitstops. 

essentially if you pit when the game tells you to pit, no matter your position going into the pits, you will leave the pits last. This is because on the default race length 20%, all the drivers pit at the same time. This in itself wouldnt be a problem but your pit team wont release you back into the pits while another car is cruising past. This means your forced to watch a progression of cars cruise past as your finally released from your pits as the end of the chain. 

That said it is possible to get round it by holding off for an extra lap to pit but its just really weird that the game prompts your to pit only to place you in last position. 

Other than that though...amazing racing game, amazing sense of speed, amazing sense of being on the absolute edge at all time. 

Fully recommended 

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

My copy should show up tomorrow with any luck :D 

How are the pitstops on a full length race? I plan to switch it to full length right away.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Davvyk

The game just dropped through the post box and I've had to go to work now so I only had a chance to play a couple races so can't comment on full length. I'd like to play full length races of there was an option to save state half way through a race. I love the idea of full length races but just can't afford the hour and a half session. Full qualifying is awesome too.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Bouke

So if i use another pit strategy it should be good? Nice tip! I'll keep that in mind, for now i'm still waiting for release...
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Davvyk

I have not actually tried pitting a lap later yet as I had to go to work but your not forced to pit when your engineer tells you to. if you pit by yourself your not left waiting as cars stroll by. It should work in theory and I like the thought of trying to nail a flying lap as everyone else is in the pits.

Have to say I have never played a racing game that has made me focus so much on lap times and incremental improvements. The practice, qualify, then race model really makes you feel like your getting better with every lap and equipped to improve every corner next time round.

Want to leave work now and get back to playing.

My gamer tag is delta kil0 if any one wants to race online at some point.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bouke
    @Davvyk said:
    "Want to leave work now and get back to playing."

Yup!  

Keep us up to date! I think the game is out today (over here in Europe) and i plan on getting it once i get my salary so next week... it sounds like a lot of fun! Will be hard getting into a race game without the Forza 3 rewind feature! Not that i use the rewind that often, i could see it being pretty handy in a game like F1 2010!
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Davvyk
    @Bouke

It does have the ability to rewind time. I needed it about 30 seconds in. Flooring the gas to early = spin cycle
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bouke
    @Davvyk:
    Ohw really!? That is awesome! I've read some reviews and none of them mentioned the rewind feature. I can see how flooring an F1 car with "cold" tires would be a problem!
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Davvyk
    @Bouke

It's handled the same way as dirt handles rewinds. You only get a limited amount of rewinds dictated by your difficulty level. It's not as slick as forza
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Davvyk
    @Davvyk
    @Bouke

It's handled the same way as dirt handles rewinds. You only get a limited amount of rewinds dictated by your difficulty level. It's not as slick as forza
    Sorry hit send by accident. It's not as slick as froze but rationing out the rewinds really adds to the tension. Limited rewinds combined with race rules dictating you can't bash into other cars (as you would expect) make for a tense race when you are out of rewinds.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bouke
    @Davvyk: 
    I totally try to not use the rewind function in Forza. With the R1 cars on the high difficulty settings it is a real challenge to win the races not to mention getting your car to the finish in one piece. But with the slower cars i never use the rewind. Its also good that Codemasters limits the ammount of rewind so you really have to think about when you're going to use it. It does make you think about where the best place is to overtake an opponent. From what you've experienced so far; how would you say the AI reacts? Do the CPU drivers try to avoid a collision if you pass them on the inside, or do they just stick to their raceline? Can you pressure an AI driver into making a mistake by driving really close? In an interview on insidesimracing, the people from Codemasters said you can actually put pressure on your team mate by calling him out in an interview, that sounds pretty cool.
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Davvyk
    @Bouke Yeah you can affect driver mentality by bad mouthing other drivers (not just your team mate). I play hard difficulty and the ai seems aggressive blocking you even if your trying to make a overtaking move off the racing line. On lower difficulties I found the ai breaks quite early for corners. This is obviously to make it easier to overtake on the lower difficulties but I found it led to me ploughing into the back of other cars as I was leaving it until the last second to break. As for the drivers avoiding you I havnt really had enough time to comment but I did force mr Hamilton onto the gravel by squeezing out the racing line schumacher style so I think they so seem to try and avoid an incident.
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By m1k3

pitstops in games never work. if you play against CPU opponents, they tend to never have to pit.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Davvyk
    @m1k3 oh they pit here it's just the shorter race distances mean that they all put at the same time. Once the distances are longer teams and drivers actually use different strategies.
    ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By ZimboDK

Yeah, the pit bug has cost me a good race several times now. It's really annoying. Also, I seem to get a lot of punctures. It's frustrating as hell. Final lap, Monza, 8th place with Lotus, puncture. Ended up finishing 22nd.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bouke
    @m1k3:  
    i agree that pitstops in games are usually implemented not very good, but i've never seen the CPU cars skipping the pitstops all together. It is kind of a pitty the F1 doesn't allow refeuling anymore because that would have made pitstops in this game even more interesting. But having two tire types that are mandatory you can still have the (dis)advantage by being on another tire compound. I sure hope every AI driver isn't pitting in the same lap that would be a pretty big flaw.    

@Davvyk:
    awesome to hear the AI is a challenge to overtake, it would be dull if they just leave the door open. Do you notice any slipstream on cars in front of you? F1 cars are kown to distort the airflow, creating a disadvantage for cars that drive to close behind each other. It can even take away the downforce on the frontwing creating understeer. That might be a litle to complex to be in the game though... 
    ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ZimboDK
    @Bouke:  Disrupting airflow is in the game. The car gets quite bumpy if you get to close to the back of another driver.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

The reason they have done this pitstop thing is because in real life there is a rule saying the car should not be released from the pits if there is another on e coming within 60 metres or something. They always ignore the rule however. I'll remember to always pit a lap late.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bouke
    @ZimboDK:
    Awesome!!!
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Davvyk
    @zudthespud
    The reason they have done this pitstop thing is because in real life there is a rule saying the car should not be released from the pits if there is another on e coming within 60 metres or something. They always ignore the rule however. I'll remember to always pit a lap late.
    Yeah I'm aware of the rule, it is just broken design when you enter the pits 6th and your team let's everyone out first so you drop to last. Again though this only happens on the short distance races when all cars pit at once. @Bouke

Just a tip remember to scroll down in the settings to change the racer ai difficulty as I missed it at first. As for airflow when driving close behind , your engineer even warns you of the reduced downforce at times.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bouke
    @Davvyk:
    All these things i keep reading here are just amazing... there is no way i can go and not buy this game now! I love racing games and F1, i just wasn't aware of this game's release one week ago... Now i just have to see if my friends want to play; else i'll buy it for 360 and maybe we can play on Live!?
    ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ZimboDK

By the way, something that took me forever to work out was why the cars feel so heavy during the race compared to qualifying. Fuel. No refueling means a massive increase in weight to accommodate for all that extra fuel, and handling really suffers from it.

Also, I haven't found any way to skip to the next qualifying phase. So I end up just sitting in the pit, waiting for the time to run out. Realistic, yes. Fun, no. Of course I may just be an idiot and haven't noticed a way to do it. I played for 10 hours before I noticed the advanced car settings.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bouke
    @ZimboDK:
    Did Codemaster make it that the top 10 qualifying is with race weight / enough fuel to finish the race? The last qualifying session; only the top 10 cars race for the pole, but they already have all the fuel for the race onboard, since the top 10 cars go to Parc Fermé after qualifying until the race. It is cool that Codemasters really put an effort into this licensed release; previous F1 games were pretty shitty.
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Davvyk
    @Bouke: Yeah same thing happened to me. I love my f1 but i wasnt excited about the game until recently. Yeah add me to your friends list its my Gamer Tag is delta kil0 (thats a zero)
    alekso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By alekso

there are some bugs and glitches i hope CM will patch. the pitstop thing is really annoying. i also think the penalty system is way to strict on most realistic. You dont see a stop and go just in real f1 just because two cars  rubbed wheels in the first corner. 

Avatar image for dokidokibawanga
    DokiDokiBawanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By DokiDokiBawanga
    @ZimboDK:   
    yas you can skip to any part of practice and end qualifying session when you are done! navigate to the right from a car there is a event bord (i think its last menue) there shows events if you practice select practice and the selest 1 2 or 3. if you done your lap in  qualifying you can  retire to paddock  and it will end you first session and if you were fast you will have second and third. just every time you finish with your lap time hit  retire to paddock .
    p.s sorry for my English.

pss lollipop man rule when to release car in not in fact a rule but more of a guide line, in the end it's all up to  lollipop man to decide is it safe to release car.
    m0nty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By m0nty

It ain't just the pitstops that are broken. Check out the sticky thread on the Codemasters F1 2010 forums. 50 pages in just over 8 hours. And they're actually deleting posts as they cut n paste new bugs. 

I love the game but am also so very disappointed that a marque game could ship with such poor QA testing.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Davvyk
    @m0nty: ive played a fair chunk now and i have to say the only issues i have as what ive allready mentioned, the inability to look at my team mates set up (even though my engineer tells me to copy it every 5 seconds) and the huge jump in difficulty from normal to pro AI. 

Other than that. Luuurving it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bouke said:

" @ZimboDK: Did Codemaster make it that the top 10 qualifying is with race weight / enough fuel to finish the race? The last qualifying session; only the top 10 cars race for the pole, but they already have all the fuel for the race onboard, since the top 10 cars go to Parc Fermé after qualifying until the race. It is cool that Codemasters really put an effort into this licensed release; previous F1 games were pretty shitty. "

They changed that rule for this year because everyone has to start on maximum fuel. The rule was there so people could take a gamble on strategy. Now they can refuel in Q3. Getting rid of it was a terrible idea, that's why Red Bull have been on pole for nearly every race this year and the racing hasn't been as interesting. 

I am also having the pit stop problem, it really ruins the races. I got on pole with my Virgin Racing because Quali was in the wet, and I am pro in the rain :D I got pole by 1 second at China, but every other lap I tried to do was about 2 seconds off that so I guess it was a fluke. Anyway, I was on pole and usually end up in about 5th by the time I have to pit, and then last after I pit. Really annoying and I hope they fix it soon.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bouke
    @zudthespud: Ohw yeah you're right they totally took that rule out because everyone start with a full lload of full...  

Does the pitstop problem only occure when you do a shorter race?
    ChrisF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By ChrisF

I'm loving the game too. Fingers crossed for a patch soon!

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ZimboDK
    @Bouke said:
    " Does the pitstop problem only occure when you do a shorter race? "
    Yeah, if you choose 40% length and adjust the pit stop strategy by adding or removing a lap before you go in, it generally seems to work. Of course, if you're running a full race the pit bug shouldn't really be an issue since every team has different strategies.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bouke: I haven't tried a race longer than 20% yet, but I guess in a longer race you are less likely to pit in the same lap as the AI and you will be spread out more so it should be better. I'll try it out later.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bouke

Its unfortunate that the game shipped with something like this, you would think testers would've found this problem. Lets hope Codemasters will patch it out, because it is anoying; for me its not a reason to not buy the game though. I like to race longer races myself, but that does make the chance of a crash bigger.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not completely broken, it doesn't happen every time, if you are unlucky and pit at the same time as everyone else then you will get caught out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.