The tenth instalment in the Formula 1 franchise developed by Codemasters

How is F1 2018?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

I've been hearing some positive comments about the recently released F1 2018. The last one of these I played was F1 2016 and I might be interested in jumping back in and getting this latest one.

So has anyone out there played this yet? How does it compare to the previous versions, especially the 2016 one?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Shindig

Handling feels a lot more planted. Career's got a lot of Telltale interview segments which, whilst designed to big up your R&D, leaves you with no option just to blame yourself after a crash.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@shindig: Have the practice session goals improved recently?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shindig

Can't honestly say. I was skipping straight to qualifying. Which led to the interview being all, "Why are you skipping sessions? Is the car dead?"

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: Do you play online at all? If so, maybe wait and see how the patches roll out. Played a few races this evening and it was a bit of a mess. Think F1 2016 level. This is player names not appearing, bugs with some of the stats (I got a trophy for getting on the podium as I finished third in a race, but the race XP stat bonus says I have 0/10 podiums, and it is still 2 to 3 races after the good result so it has not updated after so far). Codemasters seem to have listened in terms of trying to sort out the ramming issues by giving players a safety rating like Gran Turismo has (so Sports rating for how fast you are/how well your doing results wise, and Safety Rating for if your having clean races or not). Its great in principal, but not sure how much its working so far in my limited experience. Had somebody totally take me out on the third corner in Russia (the really long sweeping left turn at full throttle, they went down my inside then rammed me straight into the wall destroying my front wing), they got a warning for that according to the Race Director at the end of the race as they had no penalty. Similar situation in my following race, went to overtake somebody, they rammed their car into my front wing, broke part off, I get a warning for causing a collision and they get a warning too but no penalty.

There feels like a great game underneath this, and potentially could be great, but its very buggy and somewhat disappointing that it seems to be the same issues with multiplayer on these games since they went to the next generation hardware (I.e Xbox One, PS4, etc) and these issues still keep coming into the games. I have yet to try the single player content so can not comment on that. But multiplayer bugs, like those mentioned, or the game changing your username in the race menus so you have no idea if your picking the car (had it swap my nationality and game name when picking the car for the race, was unclear if somebody else was picking the same car as me or if, which it turned out to be, had just decided to nameswap me with another player).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.