Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fable III

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

The third game in the Fable series sets you with the task of overthrowing your own brother, the tyrant ruler of Albion, as the kingdom enters the industrial era.

How do you officially appeal a GB Review? Fable 3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Beauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Beauty

I love this website, its staff and its community. But as someone who identifies with this site, I dont want the History to show that Fable 3 got the same score as games like Mafia 2 and 50 cents Blood on the Sand. It's got some issues, but there is no way it is a peer to other 3 star GB games, check out some of the other titles that got 3 star reviews.  

All I am asking is how do we get the GB guys to consider adjusting the score? 

Beauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Beauty

I love this website, its staff and its community. But as someone who identifies with this site, I dont want the History to show that Fable 3 got the same score as games like Mafia 2 and 50 cents Blood on the Sand. It's got some issues, but there is no way it is a peer to other 3 star GB games, check out some of the other titles that got 3 star reviews.  

All I am asking is how do we get the GB guys to consider adjusting the score? 

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mrskidders

You don't, its based on opinion.  I agree wth them, it is a 3 star game.

Edit - Oh and great job on your first post being this.

conformunist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By conformunist

Endurance Run?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

I don't think Brad's going to change his mind. 

Plus, nobody cares (well, except for you I guess).

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60
    @christ0phe said:
    " @Beauty: You're a true idiot.  The Fable series has always been mediocre full of dumb mechanics and unfulfilled promises, but even if it was the best game ever, if Brad feels it is a 3 star game, then that is how he reviews it. "
    The fable series is mediocre? News to me. I think it's great.
    smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By smcn

You'll get over it.

StartAndPause

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StartAndPause

Reviews are all about personal taste. People also have the ability go review it themselves and give it a score they consider more appropriate. Brad shouldnt have to give this game 4 stars cause blood on the sand got 3.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By alistercat

You cant appeal, nor should you be able to. It was his opinion, not yours. That's all.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

An review = an opinion.

At least on Giantbomb that tends to be the case, if you're looking for bought of sites and high scores this is not the right site to be.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By mfpantst

op = 1/5 stars

ask me to adjust that review

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @Beauty:  
    @CL60 said:
    " @christ0phe said:
    " @Beauty: You're a true idiot.  The Fable series has always been mediocre full of dumb mechanics and unfulfilled promises, but even if it was the best game ever, if Brad feels it is a 3 star game, then that is how he reviews it. "
    The fable series is mediocre? News to me. I think it's great. "
    Oh god, opinion wars.  Might as well throw in my two cents.  

Personally, I love the Fable games, and once I get around to playing Fable III, for me, it'll probably be a five star game (using GB's system), just like how games like Fallout 3 were five star games to me.  

But if Brad honestly felt that the game only deserved three stars, then it's his duty as a reviewer to give it the score he believes that it deserves. Maybe in time he'll change his mind and think of it in a better light, but that doesn't mean that he should change the score.  Personally, I sort of agree that it is sad to see Fable III ranked amongst mediocre games like Mafia II, but you can't judge a review on score alone. What's more important is what the review says, and Brad quite clearly says that it's fun and whatnot. 

Also, 50 Cent Blood on the Sand was reviewed by Jeff, so there's no saying that if Brad reviewed it, he would have given it a three. 
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

A review is one person's opinion of the game. Brad thinks it deserves 3 stars, that's his opinion and he's entitled to it. And nothing is going to change that. Also, it's largely pointless comparing it to Mafia II and 50 Cent. Blood on the Sand was reviewed by Jeff, a completely different human being to Brad. And while Mafia II was reviewed by brad, they are completely different genre's and completely different criteria affect the game's quality and therefore the rating.

Not to mention that the star rating is the least important part of a review. If you read the text of the reviews you get the impression that Fable III is largely a very good game, but interface issues and the ending ruined the experience for Brad. Whereas in the 50 Cent & Mafia II reviews you get the distinct impression that they are just generally mediocre games from beginning to end. Of course I'm generalizing here, but the ultimate point is that you should read the reviews and not get hung up on the scores.

arca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By arca

Reviews have always been based on opinion so the amount of stars it got isn't going to change. An idea for giant bomb though could be that they should implement a second star system which is voted in by the community. People can read the review and play the game and then come back and decide what star rating they would give it.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pinworm45

Am I the only one that things Mafia 2 is actually a good comparison for Fable 3? I mean, both are decent games hampered by a lot of problems, deserving of a rating that shows their quality but also that they are lacking. 

3 stars Seems good to me.. 

Oh, also, who cares?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Sooty

If you think this site has some stupid review scores never visit a little website called IGN.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mfpantst
    @Ygg said:
    " If you think this site has some stupid review scores never visit a little website called IGN. "
    Wait, what?  I was about to cancel my membership to go over there.  Are you telling me they actually have dumb review scores?  

shocker.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vorbis

It's not the score matters anyway, just wait for Rryan and Vinny to play it and you'll hear other opnions on the podcast.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By ptys

It probably helps it rather than hinders. I'm curious to see if the problems are that bad so might pick the game up to see for myself?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hamz

Is that you Moly? Why don't you get to work on my Black & White 3 ideas I emailed you and stop hassling us over review scores! 

In all seriousness like my partner in crime MattyFTM pointed out. The review score is unimportant, it's the text and the reasoning to be found in it that is the important part of the review.  

And honestly unless you're someone who worked on the game I doubt the staff have time or patience to sit down and listen to all the complaints they receive from random internet users about the review score they issued a game. The blunt but honest truth.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By floodiastus

Fable has always been pretty mediocre imho. It's controls are so-so making most action-style game better in the controls department. the RPG stuff is so stripped that most RPGs seems insanely deep in comparison. The graphics are nothing to write home about, the story neither. I think the only thing it got going for it is the british setting and the farting. 

Bring it on fanboys

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By countinhallways

Seriously, why do you care so much? 

Can another persons opinion differing to your own really dampen your enjoyment of a game? If you enjoyed Fable 3 to the extent that you feel it deserves more than the 3 stars then you clearly already have formed your own opinions on and liked the game.

If they were to change the review score would you suddenly feel vindicated in your enjoyment of the game? Would you suddenly like the game more? 

First posts in forums are always hard to make (at least I find), so I don't mean to attack you our anything, just to say that you really shouldn't let a review score bother you to the extent that it clearly does. Be satisfied with your own enjoyment of the game. I look on reviews as something to inform those who  have yet to play the (full) game as to what they can expect to get from it if/when they pick it up. Not something to look back on after one has played it just to see if you agree. Don't get me wrong, I definitely do that, but it clearly isn't the primary purpose of the review. And if I find I don't agree with a review after playing a game, it really doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have already had my experience, written my own review (metaphorically speaking). 

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vitor
    @MattyFTM said:
    " A review is one person's opinion of the game. Brad thinks it deserves 3 stars, that's his opinion and he's entitled to it. And nothing is going to change that. Also, it's largely pointless comparing it to Mafia II and 50 Cent. Blood on the Sand was reviewed by Jeff, a completely different human being to Brad. And while Mafia II was reviewed by brad, they are completely different genre's and completely different criteria affect the game's quality and therefore the rating.  Not to mention that the star rating is the least important part of a review. If you read the text of the reviews you get the impression that Fable III is largely a very good game, but interface issues and the ending ruined the experience for Brad. Whereas in the 50 Cent & Mafia II reviews you get the distinct impression that they are just generally mediocre games from beginning to end. Of course I'm generalizing here, but the ultimate point is that you should read the reviews and not get hung up on the scores. "
    This.  

People need to stop placing so much emphasis on the single character at the end of the page and pay more attention to the couple of hundred that proceed it. The review didn't put me off getting the game as he still made it sound like an interesting, if flawed experiment, and one that I'd love to play regardless of the issues.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#24  Edited By Yummylee

Fucking scores, how do they work?!?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Mrskidders said:
    " Oh and great job on your first post being this. "
    I can't tell whether or not that's sarcastic.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Brendan

This thread is dumb enough to render me queezy.  Seriously, I hope the OP never uses the internet again.
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By jimi

3 Stars doesn't mean it's a bad game, the same thing happened with dead rising 2. Great game held down by stupid UI + gameplay decisions. :/ 

ALSO DON'T YOU TALK SHIT ABOUT 50 CENT BLOOD ON THE SAND.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Yes, let's change a review score because someones whinging about it. Let's start that precedent.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By oatz

That might be one of the dumbest arguments I've ever read on these forums. Thanks for a good laugh, OP.

Beauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Beauty
    @countinhallways said:
    " Seriously, why do you care so much?   
    @Hamz:    

The way I view GB speaks to both of your comments, and some other people's too.  

I view this site like an institution, sort of how you would view a university if you attended one. It is a place that I choose to identify with and in a way represent. So i care about what it stands for and how it passes judgment on games. Cause I am part of it!  

Another reason I care so much, is because this score is going to be a part of this websites history. When a new person visits GB and they are trying to figure out if GB is the right  vg website for them, one of things they will do is look at the reviews of their favorite video games and see if they agree.  Now it wont be the only consideration, but its one of them.  

I appreciate the insights from commenters that video games are more Brad's opinion then GB's opinion, that is helpful. And I can see how if that is your understanding of reviews then you would think I am an idiot and yell at me (thanks @chris0phe )  But fundamentally I disagree, I think it the public will view this as GB's review, and not just Brad's opinion.  

Again, my goal here was just to see if the the GB guys would consider revisiting the 3 stars, not demanding that they change it. 
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By haggis
    @christ0phe said:
    I tend to agree with this assessment (though not the idiot part.. I've never liked the tone of the Fable games, and found the game mechanics to be clumsy and dull. So I largely agreed with the Giant Bomb review of Fable 3 (which, incidentally, I only played for a few hours).

There is a tendency to want to see game reviews as an attempt to state categorically whether a game is bad or not. That's not what reviews are. I still think the best method for reading game reviews are to find a few reviewers you respect who score games the way you would, and then find a few reviewers you respect who don't. Read reviews of games from both types. That will give you the best overall assessment of a game. Assuming that the Fable review speaks for everyone working at Giant Bomb is a mistake.
    Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a joke, right? 

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShaneDev

You appeal the review by climbing to the top of the highest mountain in your country and shouting the reviewers name three times and he will appear then you must defeat him in single combat, then and only then can you appeal the review.  

Seriously why would you care?

lotusamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lotusamurai
    @Beauty said:
     Another reason I care so much, is because this score is going to be a part of this websites history. When a new person visits GB and they are trying to figure out if GB is the right  vg website for them, one of things they will do is look at the reviews of their favorite video games and see if they agree.  Now it wont be the only consideration, but its one of them.  
    When I came to the site and saw how the reviewers seemed to review the games differently then everyone else and weren't afraid to gives games people might get their panties in a twist over, ie Fable 3, lower scores then the rest of reviewers out there, I quite enjoyed it because it meant that they were reviewing based on their own opinion and not the public's.
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zityz

So what the game got 3 stars. The only people that this matters to are the people who look at just the score and go YUP this is a 3 star game...sucks, and then use that as some form of backing when talking on the playground. I loved fable 1 and 2. Me personally, Fable 3 does not exist. It's too soon for the game and something as stupid ( to me) as "no menus" is just a gimmick. Hey Peter! it's not the menus that are annoying. It's the fact you make it a clusterfuck to begin with and not optimize the actual menu itself.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#36  Edited By Lazyaza

Giant Bomb could give every single game I enjoy from now until eternity a 0 out of 5 and it would still be the greatest website ever.   

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By countinhallways
    @Beauty said:
    When a new person visits GB and they are trying to figure out if GB is the right  vg website for them, one of things they will do is look at the reviews of their favorite video games and see if they agree.  
    But what about the people who didn't like Fable 3 as much as you and think that Brad's review was spot on? Using your logic, kind of, suppose that they may be more likely to then frequent GB, finding it to be the 'right vg website for them'. Are they not welcome here? Would you not want the 'institution' of GB to represent these people? Or to be associated with these people yourself?  Surely differences in opinion are one of the cornerstones of any site like this. If everyone felt the same way about every game, in terms of both the staff and the users, then what would there be to discuss? To debate? It would just degrade into a load of forum threads where people gush over things and express the same opinions ad nauseam.

For the record I have not played Fable 3 yet so have no strong feelings either way on that particular review.
    marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By marrec

ITT: 

We are all trolled by Peter Molyneux.  

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Daroki
    @Beauty said:
    "I love this website, its staff and its community. But as someone who identifies with this site, I dont want the History to show that Fable 3 got the same score as games like Mafia 2 and 50 cents Blood on the Sand. It's got some issues, but there is no way it is a peer to other 3 star GB games, check out some of the other titles that got 3 star reviews.  

All I am asking is how do we get the GB guys to consider adjusting the score?  "

Write your own review for the game and post it.  You're not going to get them to change their mind, but you have the option to give a dissenting opinion.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Beauty said:

"Another reason I care so much, is because this score is going to be a part of this websites history. When a new person visits GB and they are trying to figure out if GB is the right  vg website for them, one of things they will do is look at the reviews of their favorite video games and see if they agree.  Now it wont be the only consideration, but its one of them.  "

But any reasonable Fable 3 fan will know that, despite their love for the game, it does have flaws. And they would read Brad's review of the game, see that he enjoyed the majority of the game, but he found the interface issues annoying and he disliked the end portion of the game. They should be able to understand that while they were able to get past the issues, not everyone can, and that's why it only received 3 stars. They should be able to appreciate why Brad has a different view of the game from them. They shouldn't negatively view the site based on the review.

If they're unreasonable fanboys who think the game is perfect and hate anyone who thinks otherwise, they may negatively view the site based on the review, but quite frankly, I don't want people like that on the site. If they can't understand that the game has flaws and that other people might not like the game as much as they do and they dislike the site as a result, it's their loss. It's not your loss, it's not my loss and it's not the staff's loss.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Do you want people to tell you what you want to hear, or to tell you the truth? I can tell you the moon is made of cheese (it is) if it makes you happy, but the truth will still remain that it's a floating ball of rock.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By Tordah

You want to appeal a review score? Say what? This is not a democracy, it's one man's opinion of a game.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mfpantst
    @Tordah: No I think he things giantbomb comes from a socialist nation.  Like Communist Russia.  Except he forgets in Communist Russia, government decides you.
    Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mrskidders
    @Video_Game_King: That's pretty crazy that you can't detect sarcasm after having over 9000 posts on this forum.
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Aronman789
    @CL60 said:
    " @christ0phe said:
    The fable series is mediocre? News to me. I think it's great. "
    AHAHAHAHAHHAA 
     The Fable series, if you never heard Molyneux's promises, is an okay series, but if you did hear his promises, the games are absolute shit 

On topic however, I quite like Mafia 2, you don't see me complaining about how it got matched up with fable 3 or Deathspank
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By Tordah
    @mfpantst: I wouldn't mind living in a Giant Bomb nation now that you mention it. In communist Giant Bombia, Luchadeer appeals you.
    ___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ___pocalypse

IDK don't worry about one site's review score? Honestly, if you feel like you need to be validated, go to Metacritic and check out their comprehensive scoring system. Fable III has a steady 81/100 based off of 47 critics.  The internet world agrees, it's not a bad game but has some faults. Bam.

In conclusion: It's not a bad game, 3/5 is not a bad score, and the reviews (which are entirely optional in your GB experience) should not impede on your ability to enjoy the site. No one is going to feel exactly the same way as you do all of the time, that would make life boring.

Ashuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ashuku

No Caption Provided
    OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By OldManLight

Sorry bud, its one persons opinion and you can't change that. If you don't like brad's review you should go check metacritic. I'm sure there are several reviews that will tell you what you want to hear.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#50  Edited By TheMasterDS

It's a 3 star game because it's not very good, not because it was wasn't anticipated. It's not a matter of what games were its peers, but rather how good it is. Basically, it doesn't deserve to stand with 4 star game, because it sullies itself with a variety of really poorly implemented features. In fact, the only reason it gets a passable score is that theres still a lot that's right about Fable, even if it does shit itself at times. Atleast that's the impression I got from the review and the quick look. 

Just review it yourself. That's an option.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.