Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fable III

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

The third game in the Fable series sets you with the task of overthrowing your own brother, the tyrant ruler of Albion, as the kingdom enters the industrial era.

Ideas to make Fable a better fabulastic

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Edited By Jeust

Well, I loved the last Fable, but like everyone I have my complaints. Those amount to two main issues I had:

1) The interaction with the rabble is uninteresting as the variety and depiction of the NPCs is poor. And it is impossible, to interact with characters of the main storyline, outsite of the plot, expect for Elise or Elliot. 

2) Looting feels unispired, as you get either gold, precious stones (that translates to more gold), pieces of clothing or weapons, with the later two despite their high numbers being a rare appearance in the chests. 

My solutions to these (small) problems are: 

1) Introduce some rare (low in numbers) NPCs with different depiction and more carefully detailed, giving the feeling of novelty and speciality to encounters with them. Also making possible to interact with the main characters outside of the plot, after their use in the story has passed, or even along the story, giving some branching and organic quality to the development of the plot.  

2) Make the loot something akin to Diablo or Torchlight, with the ability of upgrading the weapons with the loot found (special stones, precious stones, amulets, charms, ...), the existence of similar weapons with different gameplay effects adding variety to the weaponry, and the possibility to dress with the loot (rings, necklaces, precious stones). 

I think these addictions would make Fable a more pleasurable game to play.  

Whaddya think? 

Cheers 

P.S. - Can I change the title? :[

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jeust

Well, I loved the last Fable, but like everyone I have my complaints. Those amount to two main issues I had:

1) The interaction with the rabble is uninteresting as the variety and depiction of the NPCs is poor. And it is impossible, to interact with characters of the main storyline, outsite of the plot, expect for Elise or Elliot. 

2) Looting feels unispired, as you get either gold, precious stones (that translates to more gold), pieces of clothing or weapons, with the later two despite their high numbers being a rare appearance in the chests. 

My solutions to these (small) problems are: 

1) Introduce some rare (low in numbers) NPCs with different depiction and more carefully detailed, giving the feeling of novelty and speciality to encounters with them. Also making possible to interact with the main characters outside of the plot, after their use in the story has passed, or even along the story, giving some branching and organic quality to the development of the plot.  

2) Make the loot something akin to Diablo or Torchlight, with the ability of upgrading the weapons with the loot found (special stones, precious stones, amulets, charms, ...), the existence of similar weapons with different gameplay effects adding variety to the weaponry, and the possibility to dress with the loot (rings, necklaces, precious stones). 

I think these addictions would make Fable a more pleasurable game to play.  

Whaddya think? 

Cheers 

P.S. - Can I change the title? :[

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By MormonWarrior

The navigation itself (i.e. walking around) has always felt really weirdly floaty to me. I dunno, I think the whole series needs to be seriously rethought because it's never interested me even though I'm usually into those kinds of games.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Ghostiet

No, we need more streamlining. In Fable 4, there won't be any enemies, a change that will definitely RILE UP THE GAMERS!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jeust
    @MormonWarrior said:
    The navigation itself (i.e. walking around) has always felt really weirdly floaty to me. I dunno, I think the whole series needs to be seriously rethought because it's never interested me even though I'm usually into those kinds of games.
    Yeah it can feel that way. I never really had a problem with it though.  

@Ghostiet said:
    No, we need more streamlining. In Fable 4, there won't be any enemies, a change that will definitely RILE UP THE GAMERS!
    ahaha that would be devilish. :P
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By phantomzxro

those are good ideas but i feel they were the lesser of problems i found that hurt that game for me. I really enjoyed the first fable and with each game i liked them less and less. Ending with fable 3 in which it really disppointed me.  I would say 5 big problems fable has is this!

Problems 

1) The biggest problem fable has is too many grand ideas and trying to fit them all into a game.   
    2) These grand ideas always ends up half baked or thrown in without a great purpose. 
    3) half baked story (mainly ending these story)  
    4) improving and or fixing gameplay not just streamlining it or making something new that is just as broken  
    5) lack of depth and focus. 

reason and solutions

1) I feel peter has tried too hard to work in a lot of great idea in fable  that all can't work within the game's development timeline. If only they would man up and cut half of those idea or just just work on one really good idea and build from there. 

2) Just the same many of these ideas sound great on paper but never become their own or worth it when put into practice.  fable 3's  hand holding and revamping NPC interection options was a good example of that because the only time it was remotely cool was when you had to lead your blind friend.  Other then that it just made dealing with NPCs a pain.  

3) The story in the fable games have always fell flat at the end. To their credit i will say the fable games have great starts but it almost seen that never have time to create a great or even good ending.  the first fable work it out by releasing the lost chapters which did have a good ending in my book. But both fable 2 and 3  endings felt very rushed and never quite reached the goal they were set out to set but ended anyway. So i need to make sure that they start with a great ending in mind that does not feel like a rip off to fans. 

4)  the gameplay of fable was always fine in my book but they keep trying to make it easier or simpler i don't quite understand the goal but it never fixes the problem they set out to fix.  At this part they just need to rework the magic from the ground up and try to keep it deep but just easy to get into. I think they have a great start but they always try something new that does not fix anything other then making it more accessable and not a better working system.  

5) lastly lets add some depth and a bit more focus in fable in creating interesting characters and worlds that don't feel so hollow in terms of just serving a purpose.  

these are my hang up with fable and i been a fan of the games.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Enigma777

Nah, I just want more Kinect carriage simulation magic. Oh yeah baby! Smack that horse!

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Putting in those additions might help, but making them addictive seems a little underhanded.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jeust
    @phantomzxro said:
    those are good ideas but i feel they were the lesser of problems i found that hurt that game for me. I really enjoyed the first fable and with each game i liked them less and less. Ending with fable 3 in which it really disppointed me.  I would say 5 big problems fable has is this!  Problems 1) The biggest problem fable has is too many grand ideas and trying to fit them all into a game.   2) These grand ideas always ends up half baked or thrown in without a great purpose. 3) half baked story (mainly ending these story)  4) improving and or fixing gameplay not just streamlining it or making something new that is just as broken  5) lack of depth and focus.   reason and solutions 1) I feel peter has tried too hard to work in a lot of great idea in fable  that all can't work within the game's development timeline. If only they would man up and cut half of those idea or just just work on one really good idea and build from there.  2) Just the same many of these ideas sound great on paper but never become their own or worth it when put into practice.  fable 3's  hand holding and revamping NPC interection options was a good example of that because the only time it was remotely cool was when you had to lead your blind friend.  Other then that it just made dealing with NPCs a pain.   3) The story in the fable games have always fell flat at the end. To their credit i will say the fable games have great starts but it almost seen that never have time to create a great or even good ending.  the first fable work it out by releasing the lost chapters which did have a good ending in my book. But both fable 2 and 3  endings felt very rushed and never quite reached the goal they were set out to set but ended anyway. So i need to make sure that they start with a great ending in mind that does not feel like a rip off to fans.  4)  the gameplay of fable was always fine in my book but they keep trying to make it easier or simpler i don't quite understand the goal but it never fixes the problem they set out to fix.  At this part they just need to rework the magic from the ground up and try to keep it deep but just easy to get into. I think they have a great start but they always try something new that does not fix anything other then making it more accessable and not a better working system.   5) lastly lets add some depth and a bit more focus in fable in creating interesting characters and worlds that don't feel so hollow in terms of just serving a purpose.    these are my hang up with fable and i been a fan of the games.
    Nice ideas man :) 

@RollingZeppelin said:

Putting in those additions might help, but making them addictive seems a little underhanded.

hehe they might be. But would make up for the little replay value the Fable games seem to have.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

Make it less shallow then a puddle.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By trylks

What if Fable was an RPG?

I know, I know, that's crazy...

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeust

@Trylks said:

What if Fable was an RPG?

I know, I know, that's crazy...

Preposterous! :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.