Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Factorio

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 25, 2016

A game about building factories on an alien planet.

Factorio - new strategy game for engineers

Avatar image for deactivated-63e25d72b6044
    deactivated-63e25d72b6044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I wonder if anyone tried new strategy game called Factorio.

Game is in early access, but it feels like a ready product.

It's got overwhelmingly positive reviews and its getting a lot of attention.

It plays great I bought the game two days ago and cant stop playing.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/427520/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR01YdFtWFI

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm not sure how long it's been in development (edit: the developer's site says since 2012), but I remember seeing streams of people playing this game on Twitch several years ago. It looks interesting but also kinda insane and overwhelming.

Given the popularity of the Zachtronics games, which seem pretty similar in terms of the general structure and mechanics, I can see this game doing very well now that it's finally on Steam.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By thomasnash

I played a bit of it. It's got a good tutorial so it shouldn't be too overwhelming! I like it, I like the idea of automation a lot, but found the combat a bit boring and unnecessary? Maybe later on it develops into more of a tower defense thing and I think that would work better?

I spend a lot of time in Dwarf Fortress playing with manufacturing streams and stuff, and this really appeals to that part of me, but I'm not sure yet whether the game around it is keeping me interested or pushing me away...

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I bought this from the dev's website almost 2 years ago. I played with it a bit back then but haven't touched it since. I remember it being a bit fiddly but fun. It definitely has an appeal, especially now that it has multiplayer. I'm curious to see what the later stages of this game play like.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Bollard

@thomasnash: I agree, I really like the game but the combat got in the way of me grasping the already overwhelming number of options in terms of making a factory. I seem to remember the world generator having an aggression slider so you can probably turn it off.

To be fair I haven't played in about a year, so I am very interested in trying out the multiplayer.

Noelle808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Noelle808

I've been playing it a bunch recently and it's really cool. It's definitely a game you're probably going to need to restart a few times before you make something that works.

Here's a picture of my mid-game factory. I'm up to tier-three science, but I still need to get into trains and robotics.

No Caption Provided

Edit: Err, that image looks a lot smaller than it did in the preview. Here's a bigger version

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Picked this up the other day. Never heard of it before. I really liked the Tekkit mod for Minecraft. This is kinda that.

I played it for about 10 hours straight yesterday. I love how it starts super simple like Minecraft, with just a pickaxe and manual work. Then once you start needing to construct the Research Beaker things, you start making these big complex systems.

Awesome stuff. Can't say much more because typing on a phone sucks.

FlyboyJose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've put about 15 hours into the steam version so far and I'm happy with my purchase. The vast majority of my time went into finishing the limited core "campaign" mode and I'm now exploring the freeroam mode. Although the learning curve was a bit daunting at first, I've been making steady progress in finding more efficient solutions to the problems that crop up while creating your factory masterpiece. I've still got a LOT of learning to do when it comes to expanding efficiently, but I've been able to get the job done.

I'm glad the game lets you tear down and re-place your parts as you go without any real penalty. For some reason I've been hesitant to rip up old designs, but it's made expansion much easier in the long run.

The biggest downside is the combat for sure -- it ranges from mild annoyance to huge pain in the ass due to the controls and big bullet-sponge bugs. From the dev's notes, though, it seems like combat rebalancing will likely occur in the next version, so it's good to see some self-awareness from the developers.

BluPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really digging it so far, but then again I was pretty sure I would since I totally fell hard for Space-chem and Inifinifactory. There is something just so appealing about putting together the perfect assembly line.

boatorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw it on Steam, thought it looked neat, couldn't stop thinking about it, and bought it like 12 hours later.

I don't care for the look of the game. It has the grungy-realistic-pixel-art look, like every 90's non-Blizzard RTS.

But other than the art it seems like someone made the perfect game for me. Making machines is rad. Add TRAINS into it and I think my heart may stop.

I'm only two tutorials in though, so I'll see how it turns out.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I saw it on Steam, thought it looked neat, couldn't stop thinking about it, and bought it like 12 hours later.

I don't care for the look of the game. It has the grungy-realistic-pixel-art look, like every 90's non-Blizzard RTS.

But other than the art it seems like someone made the perfect game for me. Making machines is rad. Add TRAINS into it and I think my heart may stop.

I'm only two tutorials in though, so I'll see how it turns out.

Yeah, I definitely agree with this. It looks like one of the RTS games from before they worked out how to get the perspective right. It would really benefit from having better art.

JamesFargoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been hooked since it was released on Steam. It's like a more involved Anno/engineering simulator. I wonder if Vinny or Austin would enjoy something like this.

thesteve19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have had this for a couple years now, and am really excited for it to start getting its due. I would love to see Drew/Vinny/Austin do an unfinished of it.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this game is a real time waster reminds of the one more turn Civ. V gave me. I love it !

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.