What do your bases look like so far?

#1 Posted by boatorious (179 posts) -

I can't stop playing this game. This is my second base because my first quickly became a tangled nightmare. No trains or bots yet, but I did switch over to solar last night.

This is my manufacturing hub so far, in the "main bus" style that does a good job of keeping me sane.

No Caption Provided

This is the whole base. I have a conveyor belt full of ammo around the base to load turrets, and have had to make a few new outposts as I deplete resources in the base. A lot of dead space where the steam engines used to be. Started taking turret protection less seriously as enemies attack in predictable places and their bases are easy to take out with my new TANK.

No Caption Provided

Anybody else enjoying this game as much as I am?

(btw, I downloaded this mod to help me take screenshots as I couldn't get the dev console version to work properly).

#2 Posted by Sjupp (1948 posts) -

Factorio is fucking amazing. My entire base is a complete and horrible mess so I'm afraid to post anything.

#3 Posted by Sackmanjones (5591 posts) -

What happened to the quick look? I thought they talked about doing one on the beastcast? Is that not coming until later?

#4 Edited by Bollard (7915 posts) -
Our 5 man multiplayer interpretation of the bus layout. All resources are mined from the bottom right. It lights up nicely at night.
Our 5 man multiplayer interpretation of the bus layout. All resources are mined from the bottom right. It lights up nicely at night.
Where all the research happens. Plus walls with gun turrets for days.
Where all the research happens. Plus walls with gun turrets for days.

EDIT: Wow, Giantbomb has really done a number on these images. They look like crap. Sorry about that!

#5 Posted by Nime (562 posts) -

Decided to go with Stardew over Factorio for the moment but having Vinny talk about it and seeing more and more screenshots and videos is making that decision hard to stick to.

#6 Posted by boatorious (179 posts) -

@bollard:I wish I'd known to put space between the individual conveyors like you guys did. They're hard to work with when they're close together :)

@nime: I know that game seems cool too! And The Division is coming out next week aaaaaah

#7 Posted by csl316 (14466 posts) -

@sackmanjones: Vinny can't stop prepping so I'm assuming he wants to present it just right.

#8 Posted by Bollard (7915 posts) -

@boatorious: I think you can do it if they're all side by side, you just need to drop the neighbouring ones underground when you want to siphon out a middle resource. We just decided to space it cause we didn't think of it at the time!

#9 Posted by Gruebacca (814 posts) -

I'm playing on a modded server with some friends. Things got complicated very quickly, and so much of our infrastructure is very ad-hoc with little thought to planning. I guess that's what happens when you have to deal with 10x the stuff of the base game.

This is the southern half of the base.

No Caption Provided
#10 Edited by Moonshadow101 (754 posts) -
No Caption Provided

This is a pretty good show of my style.

Top-left - Refinery. Ore comes in, metal comes out, flows down the center in an artery. Splitters send streams of metal off to the side whenever an area needs it.
Mid-Right - Lab. Iron and Copper are used to produce level 1 and 2 research packs. 3 and 4 are produced elsewhere and transported in by robots.
Mid-left - Various small factories. The top one produces ammo and cannon shells. The one below it produces fast transport belts. Below that, solar panels.
Mid-far-left - Storehouse. Lots of chests to stick stuff.

No Caption Provided

Zoomed out. Solar panels, mines, oil facilities. Defensive wall you can see on the far right is made of dozens of identical segments (blueprints + construction robots!)

#11 Posted by Ares42 (3828 posts) -

This is my third rebuild.

No Caption Provided

Not completely satisfied with everything, but I'm sorta proud of my sorted triple/quad belt setup that makes for a super clean and compact way to produce everything needed for research.

#12 Posted by DecoyOctopusX (63 posts) -

I'm about 75 hours in, and everything is a mess, so here goes.

This is the primary area where major production is done.
This is the primary area where major production is done.
This is the main power center of my compound.
This is the main power center of my compound.
On the left is the warehouse that stores things, on the right is my oil field not used for power.
On the left is the warehouse that stores things, on the right is my oil field not used for power.
This is the first of three outposts I made just in-case I needed to get out of the area.
This is the first of three outposts I made just in-case I needed to get out of the area.
This is the second of three outposts I made for emergency, also used as a R.A.D.A.R. Station.
This is the second of three outposts I made for emergency, also used as a R.A.D.A.R. Station.
This is a battle station I made to combat a nest near by which is in much disarray.
This is a battle station I made to combat a nest near by which is in much disarray.
This is the third outpost I made to escape if needed.
This is the third outpost I made to escape if needed.
Finally, the overall map of my current world.
Finally, the overall map of my current world.

Things are a mess. Since I attacked the bugs early they have become more aggressive. I have just about every offensive measure unlocked yet even that tiny nest down below is being quite troublesome. I built one-hundred laser turrets to conquer the bugs near the battle station, yet it failed. My current objective is to build five-hundred laser turrets to step forward and obliterate the bug nests around my area in correlation with my tank. Yet production is slow seeing as some hasty decisions needed to be made. This is my second restart, and I am contemplating a third due the the massive nest across the sea from outpost 2. The combat robots are of little help. The modular armor is nice, but I need to get more blue science, and alien science into production to make attacking them more feasible. I have won about 7 out of 30 battles. Yet as anyone can see, there is much more to do if I wish to feel even a modicum of safe. Hopefully discharge defense and power armor will make the difference I need to really take the fight back to them.

#13 Posted by RichyHahn4 (289 posts) -

I had to uninstall the game to force myself to take a break from it...it was seriously effecting my day-to-day life...but I'll start again soon and share stuff

#14 Posted by SSully (5494 posts) -

I had to uninstall the game to force myself to take a break from it...it was seriously effecting my day-to-day life...but I'll start again soon and share stuff

A buddy and me have been playing this every Friday night the last 3 weeks. Every time we have ended up playing until 2AM, the entire session lasting almost 8 hours. Haven't had a game do that to me in a long time.

#15 Posted by Bollard (7915 posts) -

We threw away our old server and started anew with new enemies. Another bus system, but we sped as fast as we could to get robots so we could start making this:

No Caption Provided

The section in the bottom right is RAM, and currently memory address 5 holds the value that is being displayed on the screen on the left. It needs to be miniaturised and moved once we finish the ALU. The big screen in the middle was just for fun, but if anyone knows who it is I'd be impressed :P

#16 Posted by DecoyOctopusX (63 posts) -

@bollard Those combinators are confusing to me an I've programmed in assembler.

#17 Posted by Bollard (7915 posts) -

@decoyoctopusx: Yeah it's mental. I worked out how to make a binary DQ flip-flop on my own, but it was wasting the potential of them cause they can all handle 32 bit numbers. Ended up poking around on Reddit before I found the RAM design we are using.

#18 Posted by shottyB (58 posts) -

@bollard: I may be late to the party but that is fucking awesome - what are the numbers counting? Also, that is a distinctly gameboy looking mario- reminds me of big mario in Super Mario Land 2. Curious to hear if you're still playing the game at all.

I Decided to revisit this game since I last played it during .12. It's dug its hooks into me like no other game ever has. There's something intensely satisfying about refining efficiency and introducing new tech that's compelling to me in a way that very few games are. To anyone on the fence on this game- try the demo and jump in if you like what you see.

@vinny I know you've threatened taking another look at this one- It really does deserve it =)

Some pics of my first factory since coming back:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#19 Posted by Bollard (7915 posts) -

@shottyb: Thanks duder! I think it was just counting up from zero every few cycles, can't remember now. Unfortunately I haven't played in a while, although my friends do from time to time. Need to check out the new additions - there's coloured lights and things now.

#20 Posted by peterletran (1 posts) -
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

This is one I've been working on for a few weeks.
I leave it running for hours to let resources normalize while I'm away from the computer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.