Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 30, 1998

Fallout 2 is the sequel to the critically acclaimed post-apocalyptic RPG.

Help! How should I approach this game?!

essd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By essd0g

I really liked Fallout 3 and so on a whim (and understanding that Fallout 3 plays nothing like its predecessors) I decided to pick up the Fallout Trilogy Pack. The problem is I'm not very familiar with the style of gameplay in those games. I'm not sure exactly how to accomplish some of the quests I encounter. Some of the initial tasks send me toward areas where there are enemies that are way out of my league or require me to somehow obtain a ridiculous amount of money. For instance, in order for me to skin Geckos (I'm hoping the skins will help me obtain better items in barters) I need to save the trader. However, he is in a cave filled with strong enemies. I find myself barely surviving one encounter before I have to exit the area and run back to my village to get healed (I've already consumed all of my healing items).

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? Is there a certain order in which I should tackle tasks or some alternative solutions that I'm missing? Some helpful tips would be much appreciated.

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By toast_burner

Start with low level quests and work your way up. 

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MancombSeepgood

Start small. Even if you're getting hard quests from the get-go, don't take on anything you can't handle. If you head somewhere and see that the enemies are too much, turn around and go do something else until you're well levelled and well equipped. Quests that don't need combat are the best ones to level up with, but that would depend on how you've allocated your skill points. Talking you way out of stuff early in the game is a good way to rack up experience.

Beyond that, kill every small thing you find and try your best to slowly get your level higher. Sooner or later you'll be beating the toughest enemies in the game like they were nothing. Just gotta keep at it.

Edit- I should clarify that what I mean by quests that involve no combat are the best, I mean that they're the best for early on, as you can level up and allocate skill points to your combat skills as well.

essd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By essd0g

Most of my RPG experience comes from playing console JRPG's, so my initial reaction was to start grinding through random battles to get stronger. Suffice it to say that I quickly found out that wasn't a very effective way to play this game...

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By toast_burner
    @essd0g said:
    " Most of my RPG experience comes from playing console JRPG's, so my initial reaction was to start grinding through random battles to get stronger. Suffice it to say that I quickly found out that wasn't a very effective way to play this game... "
    That would probably kill you early in the game. also there's a 13 (in game) year time limit, so you dont want to waste to much time in the travel screen.
    Quests are the main source of XP
    ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ATrevelan

Fallout 2 is much harder, on the whole, than the original game or Fallout 3. You need to be persistent for the first third of the game, basically. Save often, and all that. 

It won't take terribly long to become an absolute killing machine, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

slowly. dont scare it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.