Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Australians ruin Fallout 3.

• 127 results
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Jayge_

News via This Article.

Seriously? Really? You've got to be kidding me. I mean, it's just a small (very small) part of the game, but I don't see why we should be gimped because of the retarded Aussie rating system. I mean, I sympathized with the people trapped there when this (and many other things) happened; but seriously. Bad. Move. M17+ is clearly qualified to be encompassing of Fallout's mature content. And, nothing personal to Australians, I really don't care if you feel left out. That's your thing to change. Not our responsibility to facilitate.

Bethesda. Always taking good things and messing 'em up :-S

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Rowr

dont blame our entire population for our shitty laws, how the fuck do you think we feel about it.

It wasnt our choice for this to happen to us let alone you.

And its bethesdas choice. I was going to import anyway. Blame them.

Its a massive fuck up on their end not to hold their ground. It promotes no change.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By metal_mills

You know things like this are cut and changed ALL the time in development right? It isn't a whole level or a large drop in violence. It is a TINY thing.

Holy shit the drugs called X instead of Y and doesn't give me a +1 to stamina? WAAHHH!

Get over it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By pause422

Things are cut and moved around all the time yes this is true, regardless when you openly make it known the reason something is taken out its recieved a bit different because you see that it would of remained otherwise. Their laws and such are really fucking rediculous, and need to be sorted out.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

*walks over to that cracked out, heorine, xtacy,meth addict on his street corner that offered to give him pleasure for 5 dollars* yeah how did you become addicted......

Crackfiend:it was fallout3 man i played the game and thought the crack would give me +1 str....

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By yellownumber5
    Rowr said:
    "dont blame our entire population for our shitty laws, how the fuck do you think we feel about it.

Its a massive fuck up on their end not to hold their ground. It promotes no change."
    The way you put it sounds like it really sucks.  A lot of times I think American sensorship can be rediculous and pandering to the week hearted to just avoid a lawsuit.  I guess I always had this sterotype (and this is on my own merit) that Aussies were more renegade and free spirited than Americans ever were, so it really perplexes me that stuff like the strict games ratings pop up.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mike

The game is "ruined" because of this?  Give me a break, dude.   If you disagree with Bethesda's decision and feel like teaching them a lesson, then don't buy the game.  I'll let you know how it is next month. 

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422

He says immediately "its just a small part of the game but still" so obviously the topic is just to get people to wonder what happened..its definitely not ruined, though I still think its rediculous for such a small complaint to change it in every version.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By yellownumber5
    MB said:
    "The game is "ruined" because of this?  Give me a break, dude.   If you disagree with Bethesda's decision and feel like teaching them a lesson, then don't buy the game.  I'll let you know how it is next month. "
    Right.  I still believe in Bethesda's competency to not "ruin" a game because of having to make a few tweeks.  Who knows maybe it let them take a step back and actually improve a portion of the game that they wouldn't have noticed otherwise.  I'd love to see a side by side comparison, but we won't have that.  When we get the game we can decide as a group of gamers if we like it or not.  If we don't Bethesda will know they fucked up and wont do it again.  That's how it works if they want us to buy their games.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rowr
    yellownumber5 said:
    "Rowr said:
    "dont blame our entire population for our shitty laws, how the fuck do you think we feel about it.

Its a massive fuck up on their end not to hold their ground. It promotes no change."
    The way you put it sounds like it really sucks.  A lot of times I think American sensorship can be rediculous and pandering to the week hearted to just avoid a lawsuit.  I guess I always had this sterotype (and this is on my own merit) that Aussies were more renegade and free spirited than Americans ever were, so it really perplexes me that stuff like the strict games ratings pop up."
    The law reflects our population terribly.

I mean whats the general opinion of Aussies throughout the world?

Laid back and easy going right?

This issue is massively frustrating.

In every other form of media we have barely any censorship. It basically comes down to one old fashion politician who refuses to budge on the issue. Michael Atkinson the attorney general of South Australia. He is helped by an out of touch population of baby boomers who still control Australian media.

Heres a good example of the lack of education we are dealing with on the matter. Makes my teeth grind.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pause422

wow...that video is amazing. I feel really sorry for people living in Australia that have to put up with the bullshit of people like this over fucking video games.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By yellownumber5

Yeah the only smart thing said was Sen. Arbib's (think I got the name right by the caption) comment, " I haven't really seen the games so I can't really judge if they should be banned or not".  That's also a big issue Americans have with their politicians that they condemn games that they themselves have never played.  This is also a big problem in the UK.  That panel does remind me however a lot like it was in the states over ten years ago when the ESRB what first being formed.  In the states over the last decade games have been slowly getting a foothold as being considered a mainstream entertainment medium, that it is weird and a little uncomfortable to relive a mentality where that just does not seem to apply, at least by most the panelists shown.

oohh, by the way what what the hell is a "pokey"

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rowr

pokie is a slang word for an electronic gambling machine, typically found in a pub.

Somehow we went from games, to car jacking, to snuff movies, to rape, to gambling.

note, this is generally a respected current affairs show, on the national broadcast station. Typically the most balanced channel for journalism/ / current affairs.

wtuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wtuo

That is one of the most awesome thread titles ever...

But seriously, not that big a deal at all, if they cut it, it can't make that much of a big deal in the game...

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By atejas

Wait, so did they remove the addiction concept or just change the drug names? Because I really dont care if I cant do meth ingame.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By keyhunter

Good. I think drugs tend to ruin otherwise good games because drugs are for total fags and wusses.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Vaxadrin
    keyhunter said:
    "Good. I think drugs tend to ruin otherwise good games because drugs are for total fags and wusses."
    What about partial fags?  Are drugs ok for them?
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By keyhunter

AH SO FUNNY.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Randolph

Ok, so why do Australians continue to vote for these people?

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By keyhunter

Because of Australia Fallout 3 is a better game.  It's not like they removed important things like gore or shooting things.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By Bennyishere

That's a bit harsh, Samurai Jack. Bethesda made this decision, not the common Australian.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Otacon

Ruin? how exactly does this ruin the game?

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23  Edited By Cube

Bethesda sucks anyways.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By kush

This didn't ruin the game and there's no need to get all angry over Australia as a whole. I'm pretty sure it wasn't AUS that got this content taken out...they probably planned on doing it anyways.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Blame Canada, that usually works.

And if that really ruins the game for you, then you must be on crack.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By atejas

Actually, I support this because it would make little sense to have 21st century drugs in a futuristic game

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Demilich

Fuck I remember seeing that Panel a while back. Australian politicians are nigh retarded. I really feel for the guy who had his hand up most of the time. Especially when they went back to him and completely changed the subject. How the fuck is time spent and reasons wanted to play video games relevant to lack of classification? I could spend all night dissecting the shit that fell out of their mouths. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF            SHIT MAKES ME RAAAAAAAAAAAGE

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28  Edited By kush
    VilhelmNielsen said:
    "Blame Canada, that usually works.

And if that really ruins the game for you, then you must be on crack."
    Actually...I say we just blame MTV!
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

its because now-a-days dumb kids do everything they see in video games... and they blame it on the games instead of the parents who are crack heads and dont watch there kids

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jayge_
    Rowr said:
    "dont blame our entire population for our shitty laws, how the fuck do you think we feel about it."
    I suppose it did come out like that, didn't it? My apologies. I banged it out real quick right before I caught my ride to school. I was speaking more of the people governing your rating boards.

And I obviously didn't mean they ruined the whole damn game. I still think it's a GOTY contender. It got views though. And discussion. Some good has at least come out of it :-S
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

So they changed the names of a couple of drugs to fictional names, its not a big deal. It won't effect gameplay in any way at all. Nothing ruined.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By Vaxadrin

Realistically, drugs wouldn't all have the same names a few hundred years from now post-apocalypse.  Come on, people...

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By demonbear

if, of ALL the things you can do in a fallout game, you consider the modification of drugs in the game a showstopper, you sir don't get fallout at all and need to go back to Halo or something....

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Demilich
    MattyFTM said:
    "So they changed the names of a couple of drugs to fictional names, its not a big deal. It won't effect gameplay in any way at all. Nothing ruined."
    Just a friendly reminder that no official lists have been made, not by Bethesda or the OFLC. They usually don't ever make any either, they don't want us to be angry if they cut something big.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jayge_
    demonbear said:
    "if, of ALL the things you can do in a fallout game, you consider the modification of drugs in the game a showstopper, you sir don't get fallout at all and need to go back to Halo or something...."
    I quote from a PM I sent just a minute or two ago:

"I re-read the topic at a PC in school and realized how it was coming/going to come off to people the wrong way. I definitely didn't mean to say anything like I was blaming the entire population. It was meant as kind of an apocalyptic gag-post, although I was serious about the news thing. My apologies."

It's hard to balance good satire with too good satire. :-/
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    Demilich said:
    "MattyFTM said:
    "So they changed the names of a couple of drugs to fictional names, its not a big deal. It won't effect gameplay in any way at all. Nothing ruined."
    Just a friendly reminder that no official lists have been made, not by Bethesda or the OFLC. They usually don't ever make any either, they don't want us to be angry if they cut something big."
    I am 100% sure that they wouldn't have cut something big. Game developers don't want a big part of their game that they've worked on for years being cut. And they wouldn't do that.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Demilich

Do you live in Australia? Fallout has dismemberment and decapitation. Games have been refused a rating here for less violence than that.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pause422
    keyhunter said:
    "Because of Australia Fallout 3 is a better game.  It's not like they removed important things like gore or shooting things."
      something that was going to be inthe game got removed because of this..it was from what it sounded just humor based stuff with references to real world drugs..how could more humor not be good? its an adult game..its still a dumb thing regardless of how minor it is. of course the game will still be completely fine and it is a small small thing, but still unnecessary.
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By chililili
    MattyFTM said:
    I wasn't gonna get Fallout for the inmersive drug system or whatever, but I do still get pissed off that its taken out of the game. it will still be a great game but I see that as an added bonus that got cut off, another decision you had to bring into the character that impacted heavily on the gameplay. Would you become an addict or not? etc...
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By brukaoru

@Rowr: I watched the video, ugh. I love how the woman is a hypocrite right at the beginning, "18 year olds will find a way to get these games anyway... Oh I have kids..." What the crap? Your kids aren't 18 lady, what are you talking about? If your such a good parent, your kids wouldn't get a hold of it in the first place, or want to for that matter. Also, just like the audience member responded to the journalist, I don't understand why she needs to know how many hours a day someone would play the game, it's about if they have the right to play it at all. I really hope they get their act together down there when it comes to videogames.

MattyFTM said:

I agree, if all they changed were some names, that doesn't change the game very much at all.
    Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Relys

It seems like Australians give nothing but grief when it comes to video games. I made a thread on b.net last night telling them to just shut up about complaining about latency because nothing was going to happen, and I got banned for it. (Foman's an idiot anyways).

Not only am I surounded by their wining, I have to put up with my video games being changed because of their crappy politics.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Demilich
    Relys said:
    "It seems like Australians give nothing but grief when it comes to video games. I made a thread on b.net last night telling them to just shut up about complaining about latency because nothing was going to happen, and I got banned for it. (Foman's an idiot anyways).

Not only am I surounded by their wining, I have to put up with my video games being changed because of their crappy politics."
    Put your mouth on the curb please.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43  Edited By Cube
    Relys said:
    "It seems like Australians give nothing but grief when it comes to video games. I made a thread on b.net last night telling them to just shut up about complaining about latency because nothing was going to happen, and I got banned for it. (Foman's an idiot anyways).

Not only am I surounded by their wining, I have to put up with my video games being changed because of their crappy politics."
    I love stupidity.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jayge_
    brukaoru said:
    "@Rowr: I watched the video, ugh. I love how the woman is a hypocrite right at the beginning, "18 year olds will find a way to get these games anyway... Oh I have kids..." What the crap? Your kids aren't 18 lady, what are you talking about? If your such a good parent, your kids wouldn't get a hold of it in the first place, or want to for that matter. Also, just like the audience member responded to the journalist, I don't understand why she needs to know how many hours a day someone would play the game, it's about if they have the right to play it at all. I really hope they get their act together down there when it comes to videogames.

MattyFTM said:
    I agree, if all they changed were some names, that doesn't change the game very much at all."
    Yeah, and the way that guy described Fallout 3 at the beginning... the way the woman said it turns kids into carjackers... that ignorance is the kind of thing that should be illegal, not the games :-(
    vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Why do you have to hate on the good people down under?

Goverments just have each their soft spot, and that's the true problem. For some strange reason the US have some serious issues with sex in games, but not so much with drugs and violence. What the hell is that all about?

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Demilich
    VilhelmNielsen said:
    "Why do you have to hate on the good people down under?

Goverments just have each their soft spot, and that's the true problem. For some strange reason the US have some serious issues with sex in games, but not so much with drugs and violence. What the hell is that all about?"
    Not enough to keep hookers out of GTA. Which is more than I can say for the Aussie Government.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jayge_
    VilhelmNielsen said:
    "Why do you have to hate on the good people down under?

Goverments just have each their soft spot, and that's the true problem. For some strange reason the US have some serious issues with sex in games, but not so much with drugs and violence. What the hell is that all about?"
    Read the entire topic, please.
    Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By Terrell
    Jayge said:
    "News via This Article.

Seriously? Really? You've got to be kidding me. I mean, it's just a small (very small) part of the game, but I don't see why we should be gimped because of the retarded Aussie rating system. I mean, I sympathized with the people trapped there when this (and many other things) happened; but seriously. Bad. Move. M17+ is clearly qualified to be encompassing of Fallout's mature content. And, nothing personal to Australians, I really don't care if you feel left out. That's your thing to change. Not our responsibility to facilitate.

Bethesda. Always taking good things and messing 'em up :-S"
    Yeah...I dont think I (nor Bethesda for the matter) want you buying the game if you are this irrational...

Seriously though, calm down, they are just CHANGING NAMES of something, not taking anything else....
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jayge_
    Terrell said:
    "Jayge said:
    "News via This Article.

Bethesda. Always taking good things and messing 'em up :-S"
    Yeah...I dont think I (nor Bethesda for the matter) want you buying the game if you are this irrational...

Seriously though, calm down, they are just CHANGING NAMES of something, not taking anything else...."
    I point you to my post above your's. How's the whole "RE5 is racist" thing working out for you, by the way?
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#50  Edited By brukaoru
    Jayge said:
    "Yeah, and the way that guy described Fallout 3 at the beginning... the way the woman said it turns kids into carjackers... that ignorance is the kind of thing that should be illegal, not the games :-("
    So true. They started laughing at the beginning too, after the guy told them about injecting drugs into the character. How lame. Like Rowr said, other media in Australia is hardly censored, and there's a lot of books and movies that depict stuff worse than FO3 will.

Jayge
    said:
    "Read the entire topic, please."
    Unfortunately people don't usually read the entire forum, they just react to the original post, even if the person who posted it retracts themselves fully within the thread. -_-

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.