Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Fallout 3 Must Have Game?

chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By chewii101

I wanna get a new RPG for the 360...thinking bout either Fallout 3 or Fable 2. Which one should I get? Maybe there is another choice? DLC does not matter, I will buy it whatever the cost (Knothole, Anchorage...)

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

Fallout 3 is the choice.

lvl10Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By lvl10Wizard

Hmmm.. depends on your preference of genre. You gotta ask yourself if you want the post-apocalyptic wasteland of Washington DC or the fantastical swords and sorcery (and guns!) of Albion.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#4  Edited By Vinchenzo

Length: Fallout 3
    Better: Fable II
    My Suggestion: Look into more games. If it comes down to it, buy Fable II but don't expect the best quantity for your cash. Fallout is overrated, to me, but if you like Elder Scrolls it's basicall a rehash of everything in that game.

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By hungrynun

Flip a coin.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Lies

Fallout is an absolute behemoth of content, but the style's not for everyone.

Fable's a bit more short, with considerably less to do, and less viable playstyles.

It's more a choice between which type of game you like better. Personally, I would choose Fallout, as it gives ou a lot more content, and it's just personally the type of game I really enjoy.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah.  This is entirely contingent on taste. 

Like swords and shields?  Go Fable.

Like Post-Apocalyptic madness?  Go Fallout. 

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24
    hungrynun said:
    "Flip a coin."
    Yeah, I must say this.

Both games are excellent. I have actually had more fun with Fable 2, but I was more impressed and spent more time with Fallout 3. Both are excellent titles that every gamer should play. Also, Fable 2 has easy achievements, so....does that mean anything to you?
    chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By chewii101

Lol...achievements would be something I would look at

lvl10Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By lvl10Wizard

Fallout 3s achievements are pretty easy too if you have the time. I managed to 1000 point it in a couple of weeks but I had the time to rinse it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Milkman

It depends what kind of RPG you want. Fable II and Fallout 3 are so incredibly different it's pretty hard to even put them in the same genre.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By c1337us

Personally I dont think Fallout 3 is a must have, it was a little disapointing for me. On the other hand Fable 2 was on of my favorite games of last year, so I would go with that.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chewii101 said:
    "Lol...achievements would be something I would look at"
    I have no idea what the achievements in Fable 2 are like, but the Fallout achievements are rather easy.  Mostly just grinding (though, when you're doing it, it doesn't feel so negative).  The most arduous ones are the ones that require extra playthroughs (achievements associated with Karma). 
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lies
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "Chewii101 said:
    "Lol...achievements would be something I would look at"
    I have no idea what the achievements in Fable 2 are like, but the Fallout achievements are rather easy.  Mostly just grinding (though, when you're doing it, it doesn't feel so negative).  The most arduous ones are the ones that require extra playthroughs (achievements associated with Karma). "
    Dude, just keep a save about midway through levels 7, 13, and 19. Reload save, do very bad/very good things to change karma, ding level, achievement unlocked.
    tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tokyochicken

If you want a game that will last you 80+ hours with side quests, Fallout 3 is definetly the game for you but Fable 2 has a very different atmosphere than Fallout and it shorter. One thing I heard about Fallout 3 is that some people thought the world was too bleak for them and such. 

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mercator

I loved them both. As far as achievements go Fable 2 is the first game I ever got 100% of the achievements on, so that means they are pretty easy.

Fallout is a huge and open ended, Fable is smaller and more linear.

Pick the one that has the better setting in your opinion. Both great choices.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pibo47
    RHCPfan24 said:
    "hungrynun said:
    "Flip a coin."
    Yeah, I must say this.

Both games are excellent. I have actually had more fun with Fable 2, but I was more impressed and spent more time with Fallout 3. Both are excellent titles that every gamer should play. Also, Fable 2 has easy achievements, so....does that mean anything to you?"
    Yeah. Fallout 3 has really easy achievements to tho...1100/1100 for me...But fliping a coin will be your best bet.
    Bartiemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bartiemus

I prefer Fallout 3 still got about 4 more achievements then i will have the 1000 out of 1000 on the pc not including the DLC.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StaticFalconar

Fallout 3

ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ColMustard

I finished Fallout a couple weeks ago and now Im playing through Fable... Honestly, both games kinda compliment each other as they are both oposite in their subject matter and really RPG game styles.  What I'm saying is that I really like them both for different reasons... If you put a gun to my head and said, "pick one!" I wouldn't hesitate in picking Fallout 3... Gritty, funny, addicting, huge... Its an amazing game.  Get em' both!

Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Steven

Both are amazing.  Fallout has a lot going for it, but also has a lot of problems.  Technical issues out the ass, and a pretty terrible ending, but it's still an incredibly amazing game.  It just depends on what you want out of it.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By atejas

Fallout 3. No contest.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Quality over quantity, buy Fable 2 and perhaps Mass Effect or Tales of Vesperia.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jNerd

Fallout 3 was my GOTY nuff said

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bullet_Jr

Yes, I think it's a must-have.

I thought Oblivion was the shit, and Fallout 3 improved on pretty much every aspect.

I'll just say this, if you never play this game, you are doing yourself a disservice.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pibo47
    Bullet_Jr said:
    "Yes, I think it's a must-have.

I thought Oblivion was the shit, and Fallout 3 improved on pretty much every aspect.

I'll just say this, if you never play this game, you are doing yourself a disservice."
    Besides amount of content...and variety...
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#27  Edited By citizenkane
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#28  Edited By skrutop

Get Fallout 3.  By the time you do everything there is to do in that game, Fable 2 will have dropped in price.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hexpane

Fable 2 if you like bad fart jokes and playing dress up w/ button mashing combat and potions to make you taller

Fallout 3 if you like post apocalyptic Role Playing Games

The choice is yours

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Dude
    Captain_Fookup said:
    "Quality over quantity, buy Fable 2 and perhaps Mass Effect or Tales of Vesperia."
    Sounds like you have yet to play Fallout 3.

To OP, you should get Fallout 3, I have spent much more time with it over fable, and my experience has been far better with Fallout as well.
    Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Captain_Fookup
    The_Dude said:
    "Captain_Fookup said:
    "Quality over quantity, buy Fable 2 and perhaps Mass Effect or Tales of Vesperia."
    Sounds like you have yet to play Fallout 3.

To OP, you should get Fallout 3, I have spent much more time with it over fable, and my experience has been far better with Fallout as well."

Send me a friends request on Xbox Live just to see if I have played and was whiteness to it's horrible endings. Don't get me wrong the game was entertaining just roaming the wasteland and killing things, but the main quest was contrived whilst high off of Jenkem. The game will be enjoyable when the Fallout community fixes balancing issues, bugs, glitches, ect instead of the developers much like Oblivion.

My Gamertag is KingMongoloid if you really wanted to see.
    Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bulldog19892

Get Fallout 3. I was pretty disappointed by Fable II. I thought the combat was horrible (get powerful area effect spell, hold B, win game) but that's just a personal opinion.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By RHCPfan24

Also, Fallout 3's achievements are by no means hard (in fact, they are pretty much all story progression), but you have to invest a lot of time into it to beat it (20-50 hours depending on how you play, maybe even more). And, for me at least, I have not had any spare time, so it has been hard to finish Fallout 3. Fable 2 is shorter, but it has a lot of fun things to do around the world, and the achievements are easy as well.

All in all, both are really amazing games...I would buy them both ;)

Just as a side note, though, Anchorage is probably a better DLC than Knothole, though I enjoyed Knothole rather much.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hexpane
    Bulldog19892 said:
    "Get Fallout 3. I was pretty disappointed by Fable II. I thought the combat was horrible (get powerful area effect spell, hold B, win game) but that's just a personal opinion."
    Well it's how it is, Fable has always had horribly unbalanced gameplay that was really dumbed down.  Molyneux had said a bunch of times in Fable 1 dev that he wanted a game people could come home from the pub and play... ergo simple button mashing for drunk frat boys
    Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Maru

Go get Fallout 3.  I feel stupid for not buying this game on launch week, and I'm enjoying it enough to give Oblivion a second chance (with mods ofcourse).
    I don't really care for Fable series, hated the first one.

Leon31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Leon31

It is a must have game in my books. There was just so much pumped into that game, into a barren land scape no less, that made the game great. In the post apocalyptic future, there shouldn't be too many people running around or too many pockets of civilization. So far all intents and purposes it would be barren with little life. Yet Bethesda managed to keep that feeling of isolation and barren land while pumping the world full of things to do and places/people to see. Sure there are times you might go "Wait, should that be there? Should that have happened?" But for the most part it is just a great game with really good game play, visuals and some pretty good content.

chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By chewii101

The things that frustrates me the most about that game (Havn't played Fallout 3 yet) are the save mechanics and endings. If you could just keep playing after the end without having to pay an extra 10 bucks for the new DLC, this would be a must buy for sure. And the saving. For SW:KOTOR, it was perfectly fine. BUT THAT WAS FREAKING 5 YEARS AGO. ARG.

Lol....Still probably going to get this game though. Jeff's quickplay of Anchorage (and punching the doctor) sold me :P
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lies
    Chewii101 said:
    "The things that frustrates me the most about that game (Havn't played Fallout 3 yet) are the save mechanics and endings. If you could just keep playing after the end without having to pay an extra 10 bucks for the new DLC, this would be a must buy for sure. And the saving. For SW:KOTOR, it was perfectly fine. BUT THAT WAS FREAKING 5 YEARS AGO. ARG.

Lol....Still probably going to get this game though. Jeff's quickplay of Anchorage (and punching the doctor) sold me :P
    "
    So just don't finish the main quest. Simple. Or buy Fable now, and hold off till March to buy Fallout, so you can play through the game with the Broken Steel DLC which raises the level cap to 30 and lets you continue after the ending.
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By clarke0

FO3 is awesome if you can get into it. It has way more content and the size of the world is breathtaking. It's world is much more lifeless and less energetic than Fable's though.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By granderojo

Fallout is a game you have to devote tons of hours to get something out of it, I didn't know that once you beat the game that it ends, I was stuck without getting half the content out of it.

I try restarting a character but it just ain't the same, I devote so many hour to be fucked over in the end.

Lord_Santa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lord_Santa
    Hexpane said:
    "Fable 2 if you like bad fart jokes and playing dress up w/ button mashing combat and potions to make you tallerFallout 3 if you like post apocalyptic Role Playing GamesThe choice is yours"
    Rather, Fable 2 if you want to do any actual "role-playing", as it contains a mute protagonist, whom uses various forms of exclamation to express him/her self
    It is a crude system, but it works nicely.
    That and the fact that Fable 2 is more thought-through, it does not try to be something it is not.
    It is an action/adventiure with RPG elements to it.

Fallout 3 is suitable, if you like to explore and VATS, other than that, the dialogue is so horrible, that you'll be wishing long before-done, that at least Mira was a mute.

Fallout 3, if you like "blood-gore-meaningless-questing-for-your-father"

Fable 2, if you like "action-interaction-simple-yet-effective-plot"
    Rapture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Rapture

It is a must experience but not must have

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#43  Edited By AgentJ

If i were making a collection out of all of the finest games ever made, I'd most likely get fallout 3. 

On another note, Mass Effect and Tales of Vesperia are great, but leave Fable 2 alone.
    gbpackers94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By gbpackers94

Both

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By turbomonkey138

you cant go wrong with the holy trio : Mass effect , Obilivon and Fallout 3

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By gingertastic_10

go with fallout 3, i got it about 3 months ago and i am still playing it, its a great game just to mess around in

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By iamjohn

I've yet to crack open my copy of Fable II yet, but I've put something like sixty hours into Fallout 3 and I'm nowhere near finishing the story.  I love that game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.