Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Fallout 3 or Dragon Age:Origins???

Dmagness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Dmagness

Some of my favorite games are RPGs such as Oblivion, Knights of the Old Republic, and Mass Effect. How does Fallout 3 or Dragon Age compare to them? I didn't care too much for Lost Odyssey and I'm afraid DA: Origins leans more to that rather than the games I previously mentioned. Should I get Fallout 3 instead?    

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SuperSecretAgenda

Doesn't this topic already exist?

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Interfect

EDIT!!

Dragon Age. I love FO3. But Dragon Age does more thing's right.

benitobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benitobb

I only own Fallout 3, but I love Bioware and even DA:O doesn't appeal to me. I think it's more of a throwback to older PC dungeon crawl RPG's and I just never was into them.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

Since you already have two topics on this you might as well continue the conversation is one thread.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Manatassi

youre right about Dragon Age being more traditional in style. Going on the taste in RPG you seem to have I would reccomend you go Fallout. However if you want to diversify your taste DAO is a great game, just very different from those you list...  perhaps closest to Mass Effect in style of play.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By turbomonkey138

Both 

/thread

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By gingertastic_10
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " Both   /thread "
    Jugzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Jugzor

Dragon Age hands down IMO.

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ubiquitous

Both are great games and both are also very very different. Dragon Age is much "longer" took me about 90 hours to finish (granted i was doing some sidequesting) , you can "beat" fallout pretty fast (probably in like 15 hours?). Although I think in total I ended up playing Fallout longer than I have dragon age so far. Its a lot of fun to explore the wasteland, but honestly I think that the wasteland is FAR more forgiving than the world of DA. DA is really hard at parts (a lot of parts) and you usually have to pause all the time and think stratigically about all you characters actions. I found that to be a lot of fun, it has a very deep combat system (relatively). Whereas Fallout's combat is basically just run in and jam on the vats button. Unless you're just shooting at them, but its really no shooter. So I dunno. 

Fallout: Exploration, Atmosphere 
    Dragon Age: Story, Deep Combat

Both: well realized settings, Loot, Quests 

Dialogue + Choices (DA>FO in these respects) 

Maybe that helps a little? You should go check a few reviews and videos.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By toowalrus

I haven't played Dragon Age yet, because I'm kinda broke... but I've been playing Fallout 3 and it's a hell of a game. I'd play Fallout 3 now (because it's cheaper) and play Dragon Age when you finish Fallout (because it'll probably drop in price by then).

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age is nothing at all like Lost Odyssey... nothing at all.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By CL60

Dragon Age and it's nothing like LO...

axman36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By axman36

Playing Both Fallout 3 and Dragon Age Origins, I'd say get Fallout 3 because of how much more you can do with along with the combination of the mods. Plus the game is more opened up. Dragon Age has a great story going on, especially with the way your actions influence it. The characters in Dragon Age are more realistic and have more fluid personalities. Fallout 3, the characters are okay, some better than others, but no where near the caliber of Dragon Age's.

Fallout 3's world is more unending though. Dragon Age, no matter what you do, eventually you will have to end the game. Enemies don't respawn and places you've beaten stay unless there are any sidequests in that area. Sidequests are another thing. Dragon Age has numerous sidequests, but some are a bit generic and are merely there for you to kill things. Quite a few of them are notable and well thought out however. Though Fallout 3 has less sidequests, most of them are quite original. A few are "collect this" sidequests, but overall the sidequests you get are fun. 

Gameplay wise, it is quite incomparable. Dragon Age Origin's gameplay is a bit like Knights of the Old Republic where you auto attack and then use a certain skill, though many conditions follow on how it works. It's never as simple as click the enemy and wait until he dies, as doing so will get you killed. Fallout 3 works more like a FPS really. Overall, I'd say Fallout 3 would last you longer, but Dragon Age might give you a bigger impact in story.

Dragon Age is nothing like Lost Odyssey though.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By AndrewB

Very different games. I can't really say game A is better than game B if the two games aren't comparable in most ways. As an RPG/shooter hybrid, Fallout 3 is awesome. As the type of RPG I've grown up playing and come to love more than anything, Dragon Age is awesome.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By Geno

Haven't played DAO yet but I can tell you that I didn't enjoy Fallout 3 but did enjoy Mass Effect. So DAO from me. 

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By torus

Very different games (one is quite linear, the other is a completely open world), but I had much more fun with Fallout 3. I might be in the minority though (I love the Fallout universe far more than Dragon Age's extremely generic fantasy).

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Damien

Basically, DA:O is a medieval ME that is super heavy on the rpg-ing.  It has a great story and fleshed out characters.  I would choose Dragon Age.  Fallout to me was really boring.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By Jedted

Fallout 3 because i'm tired of elves and dwarves and orcs.  I think there's a greater challenge in Fallout 3 since you have to ration your supplies which makes you really feel like your fighting for survival in the wasteland. 
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By metalmoog

I've been playing through both games and find they each have their pros and cons.  I was bit skeptical of Fallout 3 at first because of Oblivion.  Contrary to popular opinion, I found that game to be horribly boring, due to the awfully repetitive, under developed combat system.

I love the visual style of Fallout 3, it's an awesome mix of 50's retro looking gear with post apocalyptic wasteland environments and characters.  

The wasteland can get bland and boring at times, because it does tend to all look the same with a few visual additions in certain important areas.  I've really enjoyed all of the weapons and items I've found and VATS is one of the best innovations I've seen.  It makes the usual grind fun and exciting.  The story is quite good and I felt drawn in by the storylines and my characters development. 

Dragon Age: Origins has amazing characters, interactions and storylines.  The characters are so fleshed out, they all have their own unique personalities and will even turn on you if your actions offend them! There are a ton of cool items to be found, the enemies look really good and the cut scenes look brilliant.  There are a lot of stats and options on every item so they must be managed closely.  The choices this game presents the player with in terms of levelling and customization are also excellent.  Tons of skills to create a custom build that's your own.  And now the cons...

I find the combat system to be tedious and frustrating at times.  I find the Combat Tactics don't work as they should, most times my party members are running around like chickens with their heads cut off doing their own thing, getting us all killed.  I'm not a big fan of having to micromanage every member of my parties every action, I find they are pretty useless unless they are managed so.  

It's definitely an old school dungeon crawler, but it tends to have a been there done that feeling about it, compared to Fallout 3 which rocked my world.  A lot of the opinions on both games will directly correspond to whether the player is a Fantasy fan, or into Post Apocalyptic Themes.  

Fallout has guns, DA:O has swords and shields.

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By therabidfrog

Just asks yourself whether you like guns or swords more.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Blowing people to little pieces with high powered sniper rifles, or fighting stupid little wisps? Hmm... That's a hard choice for me.

RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RiddleBrother

Having played over 50 hours of both, i can say definitively Fallout 3. The story is darker and more interesting, and the gameplay is way more action oriented. They're both pretty buggy and messed up, but fallout was so engaging that I hardly noticed.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Burns098356GX

I own both. I like Fallout way more.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jNerd

Fallout 3 > Dragon Aged
    wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By wfolse1

As a person who owns both, I also say Fallout 3.  It can be a tough game to get used to at the beginning, but when you get into a certain rhythm the game is an absolute blast.  DA:O is really good too, though.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Gabriel
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By sopranosfan

I know this is a month old thread but I still have to say Fallout 3 my favorite game of the last decade and if I made a list of favorite of all time would definitely be in my top 10.  Although I did give Dragon Age my game of the year last year so in my opinion you can't go wrong with either.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rebirth1337

Fallout 3.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By captain_clayman

if you liked oblivion, you might just love fallout 3

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By trophyhunter

DA: Origins not even a question.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Adamantium

Wow, tough question. I'm going with DA:O on this one..

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Fallout 3 has turned out to be one of my all-time favorite games. I absolutely freaking love it and just can't ever get enough of it. I'm over 100 hours deep and still have so much to do and haven't got tired of the game for a minute. It's incredible.

I rented Dragon Age: Origins and unfortunately didn't play it for as long as I had hoped, but dude, it's great. I'll definitely pick it up again some time, or maybe just purchase it when it lowers in price. I didn't expect to like it based on what I had seen, but it sucked me in quick and I was having a whole lot of fun with it.

So basically, I'm gonna say both. If you can only get one, I'd suggest Fallout 3. However, keep in mind that Dragon Age is more like a traditional western RPG and Fallout 3 isn't. If you're more into swords and fantasy, maybe you should try Dragon Age first. Personally, I prefer the brilliant post-apocalyptic setting found in Fallout. Initially it didn't seem so appealing to me, but once I was able to explore the fully realized, dark, twisted world, I never wanted to leave.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @Dmagness said:

"

Some of my favorite games are RPGs such as Oblivion, Knights of the Old Republic, and Mass Effect. How does Fallout 3 or Dragon Age compare to them? I didn't care too much for Lost Odyssey and I'm afraid DA: Origins leans more to that rather than the games I previously mentioned. Should I get Fallout 3 instead?    

"
     Maybe you should make your own choices? and perhaps consider not creating another one of these annoying and pain in the ass topics: "should I get this game or this game?".
    Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By Nemesis

Dragon Age is vastly superior.

But you are asking this question on the Fallout 3 boards. What answer do you expect? It is like going to the Halo boards and asking if you should get Halo or any other vastly superior shooter.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JokerClown88

Zombie Thread!!!!! 

RUN!!!!!
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Burns098356GX

I own both. Fallout 3 is a way better game.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Jeust
    @Jedted said:
    " Fallout 3 because i'm tired of elves and dwarves and orcs.  I think there's a greater challenge in Fallout 3 since you have to ration your supplies which makes you really feel like your fighting for survival in the wasteland.  "
    Fallout 3! Dragon Age is Bioware's rinse and repeat, with extreme influences of the Lord of The Rings.
    Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Ferginator4k

Its tricky....... Im gonna say Dragon Age if you have a PC otherwise go fallout

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By AhmadMetallic

this should have been a poll. 

Fallout 3

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By guiseppe

Fallout 3 is pretty much Oblivion with another setting. DA:O is a more "in-depth" RPG. Both are great though.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By raiz265

dragon age for sure 

fallout 3 is... meh :E

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.