Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Fallout 3 PS3 fixed?

Noble_Samurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Noble_Samurai

I've been tempted to play Fallout 3 again, and since it's really cheap (£10) on PS3 I might as well get some trophies. However, Bethesda games on PS3 are usually the most janky. Anyone whose played the PS3 version recently, did they patch it up to function close to the other versions? (I've played both 360 and PC through in the past)

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Morrow

@Noble_Samurai:

I've been playing Fallout 3 with all it's expansion for 300+ hours and never had a lot of problems. A freeze from time to time, but considering the immense size of the world it's bearable.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's been a long time since I've played Fallout 3 but as far as I remember it did have some minor graphical issues but there wasn't anything particularly game breaking or horrendous about it. There were some times when the audio got a little janky but apart from that it seemed to be in fine condition. Someone else will answer your question better then I can though.

Alternatively, buy Fallout New Vegas The Ultimate Edition and play that because it's better game in every sense.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DeF

@Noble_Samurai said:

I've been tempted to play Fallout 3 again, and since it's really cheap (£10) on PS3 I might as well get some trophies. However, Bethesda games on PS3 are usually the most janky. Anyone whose played the PS3 version recently, did they patch it up to function close to the other versions? (I've played both 360 and PC through in the past)

the last patch came with the GOTY editions and stuff was still potentially messed up. bethesda games never get 100% fixed. sometimes you're lucky and don't run into any issues or they're neglectable but other times you might suffer through lots of crashes (it probably also depends on what model-type system you have)

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Morrow

@eroticfishcake said:

Alternatively, buy Fallout New Vegas The Ultimate Edition and play that because it's better game in every sense.

It depends. I like the atmosphere of 3 better. It's tighter, It grips you more. I felt incredibly lonely while walking through the deserted capital wasteland. Sure, New Vegas is more lively and offers more dialogue, and also has more places to go (I think, or maybe it just feels that way because more place are inhabited by humans), but when it comes to sucking you in and giving you the feeling to really diving into a gameworld, it's Fallout 3 all the way for me.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#6  Edited By Svenzon

@eroticfishcake said:

Or both of them, since they're both great games in their own way.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

@Morrow said:

@eroticfishcake said:

It depends. I like the atmosphere of 3 better. It's tighter, It grips you more. I felt incredibly lonely while walking through the deserted capital wasteland. Sure, New Vegas is more lively and offers more dialogue, and also has more places to go (I think, or maybe it just feels that way because more place are inhabited by humans), but when it comes to sucking you in and giving you the feeling to really diving into a gameworld, it's Fallout 3 all the way for me.

@Svenzon: I had a feeling somebody would say something like that but it's a perfectly valid response of course. As I've said in the past on numerous occasions I just prefer New Vegas over Fallout 3 because I'm a big fan of the first two games for a long, long time. Fallout 3 isn't a bad game by any means, far from on the contrary and I do appreciate Bethesda for bringing it to the masses but ultimately I think the writing just isn't as good nor do they have the "tone" that the first two games had. It's hard to nail exactly what that tone is but whatever the case Fallout 3 doesn't feel quite as tongue-in cheek as New Vegas did. So yeah, F3 is a good game but just too tonally different from my tastes.

New Vegas was buggy as Hell though. Still is but that's Obsidian games for you I guess.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Morrow

@eroticfishcake:

Hmm, maybe I have that impression because I never played the first two Fallout games and 3 was my first gaming experience like that. On top, I played the games in my native language and they usually don't translate the humor that well.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By N7

The only issues I've had from Fallout 3 in the near infinite hours I put into it was the occasional crash, or when the game becomes progressively worse the more companions you bring with you at once.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By Svenzon

@eroticfishcake said:

@Morrow said:

@eroticfishcake said:

@Svenzon: I had a feeling somebody would say something like that but it's a perfectly valid response of course. As I've said in the past on numerous occasions I just prefer New Vegas over Fallout 3 because I'm a big fan of the first two games for a long, long time. Fallout 3 isn't a bad game by any means, far from on the contrary and I do appreciate Bethesda for bringing it to the masses but ultimately I think the writing just isn't as good nor do they have the "tone" that the first two games had. It's hard to nail exactly what that tone is but whatever the case Fallout 3 doesn't feel quite as tongue-in cheek as New Vegas did. So yeah, F3 is a good game but just too tonally different from my tastes.

New Vegas was buggy as Hell though. Still is but that's Obsidian games for you I guess.

I don't mind the shift in tone actually. Had they set the game on west coast and tried to continue the plot lines from the first two, it probably would have stuck out more for me. The writing might be "as good", but I think it stands on its legs perfectly fine. There are a lot of genuinely funny and creepy moments, especially in the vaults you find throughout the landscape. Whenever people ask me which game is the better one, I say "They're pretty equal, but in their own ways, if that makes any sense". 3 is way more fun to explore and has better atmosphere, while New Vegas has better actual roleplaying.

EDIT: And now we've completely derailed the thread. Sorry about that, OP!

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By SMTDante89

The one major problem I had with the PS3 version is the Point Lookout DLC is nearly unplayable. It had some nasty frame rate issues and crashed constantly when I played it, and that was after the last patch was released.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By musubi

Ps3 version is pretty playable.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ravenlight

Obligatory: "It works great on the PC!"

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By onarum

Yeah I kind gave up on the PS3 version a long long time ago, then I built myself a gaming PC and now I'm waiting so I'll finish at least some of my ongoing games to get the GOTY edition on steam.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RE_Player1

I got the platinum trophy on the PS3 version and played some dlc. Aside from the usual Bethesda game jank it's playable.

wastedcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wastedcolumbo

I had the PS3 version and it was pretty playable, then I got the GOTY edition when that came out because it was cheaper than buying the dlc and that was fucked. Would be interesting to know if those that are not having too many issues got the dlc separate or have the GOTY edition, also whether the PAL/NTSC versions have more or less crashes than each other.

Haven't played the PS3 version in years though so it might have had a patch in the meantime.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.