Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Just started playing. Any hints to make things easier?

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By HairyMike87

It seems that if you try to play this game like a straight up shooter, you get owned hard. The VATS system doesn't seem to be very helpful as of yet and the people seem to just come in packs and I just feel cheated at times. Are there any ways of preparing for what lies ahead in the wasteland? I just started heading to the radio station and can't get away from strong groups of enemies.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

You need to level up. Keep armor and weapons repaired. The issue with this game is if you do not focus on weapon skills you can die easily.  

Use energy weapons. They are super strong. 

I have over 400 hours in the PC version of this game. Mods and DLC combined. Try to level up a bit more before moving on. 

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HairyMike87
    @The_Laughing_Man: can you level up easy early on? do i have to do side quests?
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @HairyMike87 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: can you level up easy early on? do i have to do side quests? "
    Side quests will make it easier. And make sure to keep med packs on your hot wheel and CRIPPLE LEGS AND ARMS! That helps massively. 
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rayfield

You've just started playing and you're already heading to the radio station? Dude, slow down. There's a ton of stuff to do in Megaton. Do as much side-stuff as possible to level up your guy before attempting the main story. Otherwise you'll get cut to pieces.
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#6  Edited By Little_Socrates

If you're good/neutral aligned, I'd recommend you go to Moira at Craterside Supply in Megaton and begin the "Wasteland Survival Guide" sidequest. It'll teach you the ropes pretty well, and give you plenty of XP. If you take my advice, make sure to do the bonus objectives when it's not too much trouble; there's some sweet perks that come along with them. 

If Moira rubs you the wrong way or you're evil, though, and you turned away from Megaton and never looked back, just do some exploring. You need some knowledge of the map to survive out there. And if you ever see anything that looks like the devil off in the horizon, you better run like hell.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#7  Edited By MightyDuck

Stay away from downtown D.C. for a bit.  I made the mistake of trying to go into the city after I left Megaton and I would constantly get beaten up by Super Mutants.  

It may be best to go to Megaton, get a feel for what's going on.  From there do a bit of wandering and level up on the random side quests you'll certainly encounter.  If you're getting killed very often then turn the difficulty down a bit.  I did that myself and it made the game much more enjoyable.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rayfield
    @Little_Socrates said:
    " And if you ever see anything that looks like the devil off in the horizon, you better run like hell. "

Word.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Skytylz
    @Rayfield said:
    " @Little_Socrates said:
    " And if you ever see anything that looks like the devil off in the horizon, you better run like hell. "

Word. "
    What exactly are we talking about here?  
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Burns098356GX

Take some time to scavange, and sell stuff for caps. 
    Also, dont spread your points too thin, you'll basically become good at nothing if you try to power up everything. ie, focus on one type of weapon stat like guns, and avoid putting points into energy weapons. If you spread the points to everything available, you'll end up with a character that really doesn't have any strengths.

sushisteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sushisteve
    @Skytylz said:

" @Rayfield said:

" @Little_Socrates said:

Word. "
    What exactly are we talking about here?   "
    Deathclaw, sort of like the raptors from Jurrassic park, but not as nice.  

If you're going primarily guns or energy weapons, getting as close as possible and then popping VATS is a good way to negate the lack of accuracy at low skill levels. The megaton side quests are a good place to start, Moira's quests will ease you into progressively more dangerous parts of the map. Once you are higher level think about slowly taking on the bad guys hanging out at the nearby elementary school or supermarket. They drop a lot of useful weapons and are a good source of exp early on. Exploring gives a ton of exp, but like these guys have said avoid downtown near the start.  Focus on one or two weapon skills and sell weapons for the other skills to vendors for quick money. 

Also, if fighting packs of human enemies, try to draw the attention of just a few of them and retreat around a corner, more often than not they come one at a time. If you have found frag mines, they can be invaluable in crippling groups. 
    Zicdab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Zicdab
    @Skytylz: Deathclaw? 

I'd say just walk around randomly to discover locations and kill creatures.
    Mechwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Mechwing

Do u have the DLC? if u do.. if u do operation anchorage before anything. it sorta makes everything cake. since early game power armor!

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By luce

If you see someone with a spinning beard, don't be alarmed. Everythings cool.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By McGhee

Be careful when walking over a hill or around a corner. 

You need to make sure that you don't spread your points out too much when leveling up. Focus on three main skills and stick with them, like small guns, lock pick, and repair. Get those up pretty high then bring up a couple other skills.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rayfield
    @Skytylz: 

These things:  

Bascially, if you see one of these things, you're dead.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By McGhee
    @Rayfield:  
    Or hit them with the Dart Gun and taunt them from afar. lol
    CharlesSahara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CharlesSahara
    @luce said:
    " If you see someone with a spinning beard, don't be alarmed. Everythings cool. "
    Truth.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rayfield
    @HairyMike87: 

So yeah beware Deathclaws. I have vivid memories of my first encounter. 

"That Chinese assault rifle I just picked up is slightly better than this pistol, okay. I'll keep that in mind. Wow, it sure is barren out here. Hmm, that looks like a church up ahead. Is something moving JESUS CREEPING SHIT WHAT THE HELL IS THAT OH GOD OH GOD FUCK FUCK FUCK." 

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mrfizzy

if your early on then dnt take guys head on unless you have to. even if they know you're there, get round behind them, sprint up to one, go into vats and shotgun to the head. very good tactic. 

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Search everything.  Find the schematics for the dart gun and build it.  YOu find darts everywhere and they cripple legs.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sixghost

Is it necessary to invest in weapons skills? Ideally I'd like to put my points in the Intelligence/science type stuff so I can get more out of the conversations, but I also don't want to just get wrecked in every fight I come across.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By FreakAche

Just wait until you get Fawkes, then you don't have to worry about anything anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.