Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Review is up...

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Milkman

Oh, god. This won't end well.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Who called it? Who else said 4 stars? Hmm? I should work for GiantBomb, man, review the Wii games . . . we have wavelength.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DualReaver
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Who called it? Who else said 4 stars? Hmm? I should work for GiantBomb, man, review the Wii games . . . we have wavelength."
    I figured it'd get a 4/5 as well. We should start our own site.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Cube

Anyone who actually complains about that score is a massive tool.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By RedSox8933

and just when you think you know a guy, he goes and does something like this.
    just kidding, i don't really care.
    that was a lie i totally care actually. but i'm going to photoshop it and then set it on my desktop as 5 stars.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    DualReaver said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "Who called it? Who else said 4 stars? Hmm? I should work for GiantBomb, man, review the Wii games . . . we have wavelength."
    I figured it'd get a 4/5 as well. We should start our own site."
    We'll just call it wiiisdumb.com, a chatroom where you call the Wii dumb and I call you dumb while people watch in confusion. Or not, you know.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By BoG

omg 4 stars wtf jeff minus credibility omg worst revue since twilight princess ick!

Wow, he didn't say anything nice. The 4 stars surprised me after reading. I still can't wait to play my self.
    Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Psynapse
    RedSox8933 said:
    "and just when you think you know a guy, he goes and does something like this.
    just kidding, i don't really care.
    that was a lie i totally care actually. but i'm going to photoshop it and then set it on my desktop as 5 stars."

Repeating what you wrote in the comments is cool!

I think that the game deserves the 4 from what i've seen and heard... Still not going to get it...
    OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By OGCartman

From what iv read and seen (gameplay vids) it looks like a 5 in my books
    But whatever, just one mans opinion ;)

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DualReaver
    BoG said:
    "omg 4 stars wtf jeff minus credibility omg worst revue since twilight princess ick!
    Wow, he didn't say anything nice. The 4 stars surprised me after reading. I still can't wait to play my self.
    "
    I actually agree. The review doesn't seem positive enough to warrant 4/5 stars.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Cartman said:
    "From what iv read and seen (gameplay vids) it looks like a 5 in my books
    But whatever, just one mans opinion ;)"
    Obviously you didn't hear.
    This was reviewed by JEFF. THE LAST WORD.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Milkman
    DualReaver said:
    "BoG said:
    "omg 4 stars wtf jeff minus credibility omg worst revue since twilight princess ick!
    "
    I actually agree. The review doesn't seem positive enough to warrant 4/5 stars."
    It sounds to me like whatever happened at the end of the game, really, really, pissed him off, which probably why the review has an overall negative tone.
    Keano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Keano

HAHA!!!! 4 star garbage. i knew this shit would flop. and reading the review makes it look like a 2 star game.

good thing i didnt waste my money on this trash
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Arkthemaniac

It seems to be a recurring theme with games nowadays to have ass endings. Dunno why, but I haven't been satisfied with an ending to a game in a while. Also, Keano, is this sarcasm? 4 is a great score.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187
    DualReaver said:
    "BoG said:
    "
    I actually agree. The review doesn't seem positive enough to warrant 4/5 stars."
    ZOMG!  KANE & LYNCH!  KANE & LYNCH!!!
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "DualReaver said:
    "BoG said:
    "
    ZOMG!  KANE & LYNCH!  KANE & LYNCH!!!"
    O SCHIZZ JEFF FIRES HISSELF TOMORW OMG PENNY ACRADES AWN DAT SHIT
    DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DualReaver
    Milkman said:
    "It sounds to me like whatever happened at the end of the game, really, really, pissed him off, which probably why the review has an overall negative tone."
    Probably, the negative tone also might have to do with the hyped expectations he may have had going in.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BoG
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "It seems to be a recurring theme with games nowadays to have ass endings. Dunno why, but I haven't been satisfied with an ending to a game in a while. Also, Keano, is this sarcasm? 4 is a great score.
    "
    Yeah, Fable disappointed, Bioshock sucked Mass Effect could have been better, MGS4 was underwhelming... the next gen hasn't done good for game endings.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422
    Keano said:
    "HAHA!!!! 4 star garbage. i knew this shit would flop. and reading the review makes it look like a 2 star game.
    "
    Yet Fable got 4 stars here as well and Fallout is generally getting a bit higher reviews, yet you said nothing about that did you? Apparently one not perfect, yet still decent review means its a flop. And as I said, Fable got the same score..and I'm enjoying it and I know you are from your comments, so how was that not a 'flop' in your eyes either?  Make some sense before you spew trash.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HandsomeDead

Looks pretty good, though like others have said, the stuff about the ending has put me off. I think Oblivion had the worst ending to a game i've ever played and this one sounds not much better.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DualReaver
    pause422 said:
    "Keano said:
    "HAHA!!!! 4 star garbage. i knew this shit would flop. and reading the review makes it look like a 2 star game.
    "
    Yet Fable got 4 stars here as well and Fallout is generally getting a bit higher reviews, yet you said nothing about that did you? Apparently one not perfect, yet still decent review means its a flop. And as I said, Fable got the same score..and I'm enjoying it and I know you are from your comments, so how was that not a 'flop' in your eyes either?  Make some sense before you spew trash."
    Don't feed the well established troll.
    Keano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Keano
    pause422 said:
    "Keano said:
    "
    Yet Fable got 4 stars here as well and Fallout is generally getting a bit higher reviews, yet you said nothing about that did you? Apparently one not perfect, yet still decent review means its a flop. And as I said, Fable got the same score..and I'm enjoying it and I know you are from your comments, so how was that not a 'flop' in your eyes either?  Make some sense before you spew trash."
    Read the review before trying to argue moron, instead of just looking at "teh stars". a negative review  and a game full of glitches = flop
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pause422

yeah I know... i do my best not to. Anyway I still can't wait to pick it up tomorrow...meanwhile I have some FarCry 2 to try to advance in a bit(since with fallout coming out, I won't be playing it for a bit)

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Milkman
    Keano said:
    "pause422 said:
    "Keano said:
    "
    Read the review before trying to argue moron, instead of just looking at "teh stars". a negative review  and a game full of glitches = flop"
    But you said "4 star garbage". So, I'm pretty sure that makes Fable II the same "4 star garbage"....
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zitosilva
    DualReaver said:
    "BoG said:
    "
    I felt the same way, and I saw a handful of comments about it too. As I commented on the review, maybe these problems just sound worse than what they really are.

But still, I do agree with someone that commented that Jeff didn't really sounded excited at any point throughout the review.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By Cube

Keano, do you honestly believe there isn't any reason why Jeff would still give it a 4/5 despite a generally "negative" review?

The game obviously has redeeming qualities, if it didn't, he'd give it a lower score. Jesus.

Keano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Keano
    Milkman said:
    "Keano said:
    "pause422 said:
    "Keano said:
    "
    Read the review before trying to argue moron, instead of just looking at "teh stars". a negative review  and a game full of glitches = flop"
    But you said "4 star garbage". So, I'm pretty sure that makes Fable II the same "4 star garbage"...."
    and then i followed it up by saying the review made it look like a 2 star game, why did you leave that part out? to make your self feel better about buying a game thats been bastardized by bethesda? LMAO!!
    enjoy your oblivion clone with guns
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dalai

Well we have a 4 star controversy on our hands... but why?  4 stars means it's great... have fun.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

I'm still getting it. It's sad when people hype a game, have an extreme interest in buying it, and then reverse their opinions and decide not to buy the game because it "flops" (which in this age is the difference between AA game rather than a AAA). Reviews shouldn't kill  established game-buying decisions.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pause422

Just ignore the troll as dual stated, 4/5 instead of 5/5 is not a flop, its simple...if you had interest in the game from the start, you're still gonna pick it up I'm assuming, thats all that matters. Same way plenty don't agree GTAIV deserved 5 stars and 10s everywhere, its called different peoples 'opinions'.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By clubsandwich

Why do you people care? it's an opinion of someone who probably has a different opinion from yours or mine, I know i'll be getting this game regardless of the scores it gets.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I honestly thought it was going to get 3 stars (which isn't a bad score at all btw).

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yeah, I'll probably wait until I can buy it for $20 if I buy it at all.

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PitifullPete

I agree with most people here. It reads more like "Oh gawd I think it's kind of a mediocre game, but then again, the other people will like it so I give it a 4 (also I might have been anticipating too much from this one)".
    Also, GTAIV is definitly no 5. It's a four.

Balls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Balls

Because it's like cheering for the home team. That's all. Everyone likes when games they like get good reviews. It's the same as watching the Oscars.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BoG
    Balls said:
    "Because it's like cheering for the home team. That's all. Everyone likes when games they like get good reviews. It's the same as watching the Oscars."
    That's a perfect metaphor. 5 stars is when the Jazz win the Finals, 4 stars is when the Jazz do well in the playoffs. Or whoever your team is.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    BoG said:
    "Balls said:
    "Because it's like cheering for the home team. That's all. Everyone likes when games they like get good reviews. It's the same as watching the Oscars."
    That's a perfect metaphor. 5 stars is when the Jazz win the Finals, 4 stars is when the Jazz do well in the playoffs. Or whoever your team is."
    But the difference is if your team does terribly and comes bottom, you still support them, yet if a game gets 1 star you'll probably leave it alone.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BoG
    MattyFTM said:
    "BoG said:
    "Balls said:
    That's a perfect metaphor. 5 stars is when the Jazz win the Finals, 4 stars is when the Jazz do well in the playoffs. Or whoever your team is."
    But the difference is if your team does terribly and comes bottom, you still support them, yet if a game gets 1 star you'll probably leave it alone."
    Well yeah, I don't have complete loyalty to a game. I still bought Sonic Chronicles, and that sucked.
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By samcotts

Condemned 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company are the only games that I'm surprised to have a higher score then Fallout 3 (not including download or handheld games), which is why I feel slightly disappointed, especially with the review being fairly negative. Guess I'll have to, dare I say it, take a second opinion and wait for other reviews.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By samcotts
    clubsandwich said:
    "Why do you people care? it's an opinion of someone who probably has a different opinion from yours or mine, I know i'll be getting this game regardless of the scores it gets."
    If a reviewer is only giving his opinion on a game when reviewing it, he's failing at his job.
    Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Moridin

I actually liked the review. Look at all the other reviews out there. They're mostly the reviewer gushing about the game, with little emphasis on the downpoints. Now, take Jeff's review as a counterpoint. If you put them together, you should be able to weigh the good against the bad and see if it's the game for you.

I wonder if Jeff specifically wrote the review as a counterpoint to all the "hype reviews." That would explain the negativity and its four star rating. "It's a great game, and most reviews will most likely tell you all the good things. Here's the bad, though."

Elijah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Elijah

Wow.  Since when was 4/5 super-awful-holy-shit-flop?  I'm surprised it's even that good to be completely honest with you.  I'm going to go get a copy probably today or tomorrow.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jNerd
    Cube said:
    "Anyone who actually complains about that score is a massive tool."
    ...agreed
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ZeroCast

I really can't see the "Negativity" in his review, he was totally honest about what he experienced in the game, giving it a 4 is not the apocalypse, it's "Still very good and easy to recommend, though it doesn't quite live up to its full potential".

rerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By rerty
    samcotts said:
    "clubsandwich said:
    "Why do you people care? it's an opinion of someone who probably has a different opinion from yours or mine, I know i'll be getting this game regardless of the scores it gets."
    If a reviewer is only giving his opinion on a game when reviewing it, he's failing at his job."
    Exactly, and this is what people don't seem to understand. Opinion's are great and that is the main draw of the website .I love to coming to giantbomb, seeing no wasteful wii articles ,listening to the podcast,watching the random vids and reading the opinion based  articles (news). The Fallout 3 review seemed like a complete half ass job that a highschool kid "had" to write the night before the day it was due. It seemed more like a blog post than a review. Honestly, I don't care if the game got a 1 or a 5.... the quality of the review was quite frankly piss poor and if you can't see that you are blind.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Moridin said:
    "I actually liked the review. Look at all the other reviews out there. They're mostly the reviewer gushing about the game, with little emphasis on the downpoints. Now, take Jeff's review as a counterpoint. If you put them together, you should be able to weigh the good against the bad and see if it's the game for you.

I wonder if Jeff specifically wrote the review as a counterpoint to all the "hype reviews." That would explain the negativity and its four star rating. "It's a great game, and most reviews will most likely tell you all the good things. Here's the bad, though.""
    I think, if he had to justify it, it would be something along the lines of "You already kinda-sorta know why this game is worth getting, and you have known for some time, so here are the serious flaws." 

Even then, I'm in agreement that there is a disconnect between tone and score, though.  Overall, though, judging from the people leveling vitriol at Jeff/Jeff's review, I think I'm safe in saying people are taking this pretty far. 
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By keyhunter

This game has a gun that shoots BASEBALLS. 5/5 Seriously.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Captain_Insano

I thought the review was too negative and didn't mention enough positives, and that is why the 4/5 surprised me, only because it felt like the written text did not match the 'score'. Although all this is hilarious as the guys at GB from the beginning have stated that people place too much emphasis on scores and that their review system is pretty much just a guide as to how they feel about the game. They feel that Fallout 3 is great, but not a must buy. Wheras GTAIV, Dead Space and Battlefield: BC, they feel are great for all and you should get them. Does that mean you have to buy them? No, I haven't gotten Dead Space and don't intend to. I do intend on getting Fallout 3, and the 4/5 doesn't deter me, but it is good in bringing down my hype slightly so I'm not massively disappointed.

Stop being so obsessed with scores peoples.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.